Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129960 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe they evolved in waters that did not have predators like the ones who evolved legs.
Nothing in the theory of evolution holds all species must change. Nothing in the theory says the species 'must' change or die. Depends, depends, depends.
Oh, of course!

That way, anything goes. Anything is permissable. Right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129961 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Your mind can make you feel euphoria. It all depends upon what you are thinking. If you actually believe a god is great and all that, it would likely give you a euphoric feeling when thinking of it.
That is textbook psychology. Sad you are so ignorant of it.
Oh my. Again & again.

Athitards say "you are so ignorant of it" countless times.

Why?

Because whomever doesn't believe in what they believe in MUST be ignorant...

I say you are ignorant because you can't open your tiny mind enough to even consider the possibility that God is real.

It's quite sad.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129962 Oct 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Dysphoric.
Dysphoria - an emotional state characterized by anxiety, depression, or unease. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dysphoric
Thank you.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129963 Oct 15, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Richard Hawkings fame is only good to those who believe him, and that's not many. He is famous to the devil for sure. as he is considered by the devil as a true follower whose path we know will eventuslly lead to eternal damnation, such a waste.
Do you mean Richard Dawkins?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129964 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are there fish today living in shallow waters? It obviously works for them.
Evolving to get on land does not mean it was the only way to survive.
If you actually look at evolution theory, you will find this is standard.
Are your cousins just like yourself? Of course not, yet they survive and reproduce.
Now if the only way to survive was to have legs, then all fish would have gone extinct.
As the facts show, 99.9% of all species that have lived on earth have gone extinct, so this is often the case. But clearly not always the case.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129965 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my. Again & again.
Athitards say "you are so ignorant of it" countless times.
Why?
Because whomever doesn't believe in what they believe in MUST be ignorant...
I say you are ignorant because you can't open your tiny mind enough to even consider the possibility that God is real.
It's quite sad.
Ignorance means you are not understanding of some information. You showed a lack of understanding of the information. Thus you were ignorant of the information.
It is not always an insult to be ignorant of some information. Everyone is ignorant of some information.

So shed the thin skin or educate yourself.

Theists tend to dismiss a lot of science. Psychology is one of those sciences theists tend to dismiss. This is likely why they do not study psychology. Thus they tend to be ignorant of what psychology says.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129966 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, of course!
That way, anything goes. Anything is permissable. Right?
"Anything is permissible? No, just more things are possible than you seem to be able to imagine.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129967 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have shown no evidence.
You've only spouted your opinion.
There are all sorts of evidence for evolution. Just read a science book to see some.

There is no evidence for a god. Do you dispute this?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129968 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. Mudfish are real, they aren't hypothetical fishies that are used to fill in the evolutionary blanks.
You said in an earlier post that you see fossils.
Where's the fossil of all the millions of years in evolution of a fish mutating into a land animal?
Do you se that fossil? Or is it just in your mind?
Their is not many of that change. There is some. It was four hundred million years ago. Kind of hard to find fossils of all the slow changes. A fossil is rare. More rare than you creationists seems to think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiktaalik
Here is the most famous one found to date.

And what does mud fish being real and alive have to do with dismissing my points? It shows fish can come on land and not fry. I see you completely avoided that debate.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#129969 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you missed the point of them being several thousand feet above sea level, having ports and such.
"Tiwanaku appears to have been a port city, as well. However, Lake Titicaca, the only body of water, is almost 20 kilometers distant. There are piers and wharfs in Tiwanaku with long, straight calcium deposits that indicate prehistoric water lines, although they no longer lie in a horizontal plane, they are slanted. There are millions of seashells in the area, as well. Lake Titicaca, itself, is a salt water inland sea that is rapidly shrinking. Its fossilized shorelines are also dramatically tilted. Abundant sea life still thrives in Lake Titicaca, instilling a presumption that it was once part of the ocean."
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/10/07/ti...
3700 years old by mainstream science, 17,000 by others.
How long ago were the Andes supposed to have been formed?
I know.

This is more Thornhill-style gobbledigook.

Power surges in the sun and all that.

Religion.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#129970 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ignorance means you are not understanding of some information. You showed a lack of understanding of the information. Thus you were ignorant of the information.
It is not always an insult to be ignorant of some information. Everyone is ignorant of some information.
So shed the thin skin or educate yourself.
Theists tend to dismiss a lot of science. Psychology is one of those sciences theists tend to dismiss. This is likely why they do not study psychology. Thus they tend to be ignorant of what psychology says.
I think it's worth noting the difference between ignorance and willful ignorance.

It's also worth pointing out the inherent dishonesty in speaking with authority on matters in which you are ignorant.

As far as theistic universals, we see both willful ignorance and dishonest claims of authority. Religion simply could not exist in the absence of these two things.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#129971 Oct 15, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you had a point, Dave.
And it was?
Give Dave a break.

His brain was fried by electromagnetic forces.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129972 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Where's the fossil of all the millions of years in evolution of a fish mutating into a land animal? Do you se that fossil? Or is it just in your mind?
It was right where it was predicted it would be, in Devonian strata :

"Tiktaalik is a monospecific genus of extinct sarcopterygian (lobe-finned "fish") from the late Devonian period, with many features akin to those of tetrapods (four-legged animals).

"It is an example from several lines of ancient sarcopterygian "fish" developing adaptations to the oxygen-poor shallow-water habitats of its time, which led to the evolution of tetrapods."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiktaalik

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129973 Oct 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Darwin had the same name as Darwin Stevens on Bewitched, who worked for Larry Tate, who had the same last name as Manson victim Sharon Tate, who was Married to Roman Polanski, who directed Kevin Bacon in "Stir of Echoes / The Ninth Gate"
Charles Darwin set sail from Plymouth. Kevin Bacon was offered the lead role in a movie called "Christine" about a demonic 1958 Plymouth Fury.

I like this game.

:-)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129974 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean Richard Dawkins?
Yes.

Location hidden

#129975 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text> You have not proven that the story is true or that you even ahve a mother.
Just because your mother flew away after dropping her eggs in the mouth of the bloated, decaying Opossum on the side of the road doesn't mean every ones did.

Location hidden

#129976 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say humans did not hunt for sport? Nope. So I am not sure who you are debating, but it is not a debate of what I said. And I did not dispute animals hunting for needs. But does that automatically mean they get no pleasure from it? You have not addressed point I actually made.
Evolution is not all based upon survival of the fittest in the sense some feel it is. Most all evolutionary scientists have backed away from the survival of the fittest concept.
Mike, you're treating the troll as if it's a legitimate poster. Have you met Sir Doctor before?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129977 Oct 15, 2012
"why are creationists so ignorant?"
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
God did it.
baahahahahahah!

You summed that up in one go!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#129978 Oct 15, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Darwin set sail from Plymouth. Kevin Bacon was offered the lead role in a movie called "Christine" about a demonic 1958 Plymouth Fury.
I like this game.
:-)
The character in X-Men First Class, Darwin, was killed by Kevin Bacon's character.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129979 Oct 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Atheism is a negative which cannot be proven and an appeal to ignorance.
Quite the opposite. I don't think you understand what "appeal to ignorance" means.

When you claim that "you cannot know X, therefore God exists" that is an appeal to ignorance. You do it all the time - you fail to understand how species change, so you claim it's god (your ignorance here). You fail to understand how the universe came about, so you claim it's your religion's god - your ignorance again, substituted by pretend knowledge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 47 min Morse 1,034
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 4 hr Morse 27
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr Morse 14,450
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 13 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 20 hr Gillette 5,946
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE