Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#129898 Oct 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize a goat could get a PhD. Eating the books don't count as reading the books.
It doesn't count either.

Alka-Seltzer?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#129899 Oct 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is real....
Yup. Mithra's awesome, eh?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#129900 Oct 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The Huyara?
Huayra. It's the Inca's god of the winds.

>1 Million USD

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129901 Oct 15, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
Man is the only species who hunts and eats for sport and pleasure, and not survival, so natural selection goes out the door.
How so? Who says other animals get no pleasure from the hunt and capture of an animal?
It stands to reason humans get pleasure from it because his instincts drive him to hunt for food, thus the pleasure chemicals is what gives him the drive to do so.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#129902 Oct 15, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize a goat could get a PhD. Eating the books don't count as reading the books.
Doesn't.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129903 Oct 15, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
Is abortion a part of evolution, and if so, then would ending abortion also be a part of evolution? What about husbands who beat their wives, because physically they can, is it inteference in evolution if a judge sentences the man for acting on his natural selection strength? What about AIDS and suicide is that part of evolution?
If abortion leads to the extinction of man or a physical change in man, then yes, it is evolution. Be it artificial or natural. It is still evolution. I do not see it making any of these changes, so the point is irrelevant.
Same goes for wife beating and judges.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#129904 Oct 15, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's high time we name the Abrahamic deity something more modern, or up to date.
Herschel, Snooky, or Eldon are my top three suggestions.
Thank you Eldon for the meal I am about to skarf down.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129905 Oct 15, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>What you say is true. They have no interest in truth and evidence, they are only trying to lie about science to make some juvenile leap that it supports atheism. It does not. In fact, it is only the atheist who keep evolution mytha alive. The scientific truth is that scientists question abiogenesis and none of them dismiss an idea of a creator or a God who wold have started it all.
Many theists believe in evolution. In fact, the Catholic church now officially says evolution is true. I am quite sure they are not atheists.

If you wish to believe a god started life, fine. Just do not call it science. It is religious faith.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#129906 Oct 15, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Serah. Welcome to the thread. You're such a breath of fresh air. These gay atheists are insane tricksters ..
.. don't let my moniker fool you. You see, I have two cats - Leslie & Beau, and, they're both happy. So, Happy Lesbo. These gay atheists always try to make inferences about my sexuality. Sex, sex, sex, that's all they think about. But, like you, Jesus is always in my heart ..
.. do you mind if I ask you a few questions? I hope not.
1. Is that a picture of you and your mom?
2. Are you the younger or older good Christian lady?
3. Are you married?
.. be careful of Martina Navratilover. She's a lesbian who pretends to be a good Christian man. In reality, she's Satan's spawn ..
.. thanks for reading my post ..
Yours in Christ, HL
Hey, um, when's the next, um, group baptism?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129907 Oct 15, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah you're right, if only the israelites would have listen to God, but as I said all throughout the the Old Testament they were known to be a stubborn hard headed bunch. You would think after being set free and being fed daily by God raining food down to them they would do as he says, but that's the way mankind is, stubborn and hard headed.
Well then it makes no sense to make a hard headed people the 'chosen ones' to represent god.
Why would a god rain food down to those who were so immoral as to enslave humans?
This is the same god that allows millions to starve that do not enslave humans.
Sorry, but it just does not stand to logic. Nice try to excuse the lack of logic though.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129908 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
woo hoo
You didn't say a damned thing.
A generation is the individual.
What do you mean by selection pressure?
You will have failures occurring mostly in the more "intelligent" and "educated" niches, primarily because of mental conditions brought on by those chemicals in food and medicines, and excess EM, such as cellphone usage, the education and the resultant affluence to afford those things. They will breed in lesser numbers, and are dependent on the greater mass of people. They tend to run in herds, so follow fads and such more quickly.
Basic people will be the survivors. They will suffer cancers and chemical injuries, but will tend to breed anyhow.
If someone lives long enough to reproduce, and the species can survive even with such problems like cancer, then there will not likely be a natural selection to the situation.

Medicine of modern humans also tends to change the old dynamics of natural selection. But it does not mean natural selection does not exist.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129909 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/w p/2012/10/07/tiwanaku-2/
High in the mountains.
Considering how advanced they were in cutting, moving and erecting big stones like that in astronomical alignments, why did their science not advance to our level?
Maybe they had an environmental disaster? Who knows? Advancements in technology normally occur when a people trade and learn from other groups. Maybe they stopped trading. Who knows? Until we find the answer, we can only speculate.
Did you have a point?
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

#129910 Oct 15, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Dagny Taggart ??..
<< Shrug >>
All the big shots could not resist Dagney. Wonder why that was? Galt, Rearden and the Mexican guy all bedded Dagney and in the end she ends up with Galt and all four live in the same paradise. Only in a female novel. Sort of reminds me of Gone with The Wind where just about everyone had the hots for Scarlett. It must be a female fantasy men find them irresistable.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129911 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if you take me seriously. In fact, because I'm no big fan of the way science had "figured out" evolution, most people hear think I'm ignorant. When I say the ignorant one is the blind follower. Science has been wrong countless times. They may be wrong this time, too.
I am quite sure science is still doing a lot of research on evolution.
It stands firm on the idea animals are decended from other animals, but their are a lot of questions still being looked into. So your statement on "figured out" is not true. Again, that shows your ignorance of what science claims.

Sure it can be wrong, but you sure have no shown them as wrong. And until someone does, why think it is certainly wrong as you do?
One hundred and fifty years of research has all signs pointing to evolution as science says. So it seems strange to dismiss all this just because you think god did it.
I do not even believe in a god, so why should I think a god did it?I have seen no god. I have heard no god. I see no sign of god. It is as if gods were a figment of mans imagination.

I can see fossils. I can see signs of evolution.

“Ask me who I am and I”

Since: Sep 12

will tell you the same

#129913 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How so? Who says other animals get no pleasure from the hunt and capture of an animal?
It stands to reason humans get pleasure from it because his instincts drive him to hunt for food, thus the pleasure chemicals is what gives him the drive to do so.
Who says; science says and the whole theory of evolution based on survival of the fittest. No, clueless one, many humans engage in sport fishing and hunting. It is sport, and that is why it is called fishing and gaming, since it is a game to catch the game. Animals hunt for food and survival. You will never find a lion hunting just for sport. One clue at a time, take this one and use it.

“Ask me who I am and I”

will tell you the same

#129914 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am quite sure science is still doing a lot of research on evolution.
It stands firm on the idea animals are decended from other animals, but their are a lot of questions still being looked into. So your statement on "figured out" is not true. Again, that shows your ignorance of what science claims.

I can see fossils. I can see signs of evolution.
Yes, science is doing a lot of research on evolution, much to your chagrin since it is refuting a lot of your preconceptions.
Science does not stand firm on the idea of animals descending from other species, which I am sure you meant. That is one question that is being looked into. 2 million year old Sediba has put a monkey in that wrench, since he was found to be more evolved that neanderthal man and closer to human man. Also, 195 million year old Jurassic rat is laying claim to being human's oldest ancester, so you may want to trim your whiskers and go visit some kins in your nearest sewer.

Seeing fossils, which you have never found, are simply evidence of fossils, not evolution. How many times must you students be told this? The second time was one too many.

“Ask me who I am and I”

will tell you the same

#129916 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Many theists believe in evolution. In fact, the Catholic church now officially says evolution is true. I am quite sure they are not atheists.
If you wish to believe a god started life, fine. Just do not call it science. It is religious faith.
What has theism got to do with one's personal belief. The Catholic church also believed that Jews and Protestants were heretics and killed over 150 million because of that belief. When it is convenient you atheists claim that Hitler was a Catholic, which means that the church believed in gneocide and continuing satan's work of killing Jews.
It is called atheist satanism and it infects the church too.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129917 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
I think that was Darrin Stevens. So much for your veracity as a source of information.
Yes, I left out a line. Darrin was his character's given name, but he was "Darwin" to his mother-in-law. From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewitched :

"Endora loathes mortals, and disapproves of Darrin, as do many of Samantha's relatives. Endora refuses to even use Darrin's name, alternatively calling him "Durwood", "What's-his-name", "Darwin", "Dum-Dum", etc., all much to his annoyance."

Your world is so tiny, your spirit so small.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129918 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if you take me seriously. In fact, because I'm no big fan of the way science had "figured out" evolution, most people hear think I'm ignorant. When I say the ignorant one is the blind follower. Science has been wrong countless times. They may be wrong this time, too.
<quoted text>
Then why do they think all life came from the sea. ONE of them would've had to sprout legs.... The thing is, the scientific community swears by evolution even theough they can't explain it.
<quoted text>
No. The way I explain it is an accurate depiction of the way evolution is spelled out by the general concensus of the scientific community.
One cell turned into fish that grew legs
but not all grew legs, some stayed as fish
and the one that grew legs mated with itself & populated land
then some decided to frow fur
while others decided to keep the scales
then some with scales decided to grow to a massive size
while others stayed small
then the earth got very cold
and the ones that kept scales died off
and the ones that grew fur sruvived but were small
so some decided to get bigger
while others remained small
then some decided to walk on 2 legs
while others thought 4 legs were better
then some decided to start talking & drawing
while others kept to instinct only
oh, and there were still some that kept scales and/or wings.
then McDonalds opened & the furry mammals started to get fat.
whew!
This is quite the cartoon version of evolution.
Please show me a science book that says a fish decided to grow legs?

I think you also forget that some fish stayed the same because they did not live in the same place as the fish that evolved legs. You do know the oceans and seas are big and very different in different areas, right? Then it stands to reason the animals in different conditions may be pressured to adapt to the conditions of the area.

You speak as if all land is the same and all water areas are the same. To say this is true is ignorant. This is why people see you as ignorant, not because you question evolution.
Question away. Just do not make ignorant claims and then whine about being called ignorant.

Legs likely formed from fins. No science is claiming a fully formed leg sprouted overnight.
This fin to leg may have taken tens of millions of years to complete.
Look at mudfish and you you may get a better picture of what may have happened.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#129919 Oct 15, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 hr Eagle 12 2,272
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 12 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 18 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 18 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 19 hr thetruth 67
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists Fri Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web