Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,281 - 125,300 of 224,618 Comments Last updated 13 min ago

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Thomas Alva Bell.
1 degree of separation with anyone with a phone. LOL

Calvin Coolidge!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>You become offended, but in fact, many see a cartoon vserion of evolution. Consider this, based on evolution theory, a black hole must have caused a Big Bang to explode into our universe, which then banged further into our world. But, since we no that the gaseous and elemental formations in space, the black hole and even in stars is quite different from earth, then earth must have been without form and ability to sustain life. It must have had a gaseous combustible atmosphere. So, now earth is here, no life and no form, no air, no water, no plants, no cloud formations in the air, no rain, no day and no night, since light could not exist and no time. Now, explain what happened from this point.
Evolution theory has nothing to do with black holes, the big bang or how the earth was formed.

I have never heard of a hypothesis of a black hole causing the big bang. Where did you hear that?

Why would the earth be without form? If it is a planet, it has form. Why do you think earth had no water? I know of no science claims that hold this. Why would it have no day or night? If the sun formed before the earth, it would thus have a day and night.

How can we move on from a point that you claim, when no science agrees with your claims?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Ah here you are...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
The best comedy team ever! Thanks….

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
If a god or gods were involved in the creation of the world we find ourselves in, they weren't yours. Yours didn't use a big bang or evolution. Neither did Marduk or Odin.
preterism wrote:
What did my God use?
Magic, by my reckoning. It's in Genesis 1 and 2 if you want to read about it, summarized below. That story is no closer to correct than the Marduk and Odin versions. See for yourself:

[1] MARDUK (Babylonian) "The mighty Marduk took his club and split Tiamat’s body in half. He placed half of her body in the sky and made the heavens (space). He created the moon to guard the heavens, and set it moving back and forth, on endless (time) patrol (energy). With the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land.(matter)" http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/marduk.html

[2] ODIN (VIKING) "Odin, Vili, and Vé killed the giant Ymir. The sons of Bor then ... made the world (matter) from him. From his blood they made the sea and the lakes; from his flesh the earth; from his hair the trees; and from his bones the mountains. They made rocks and pebbles from his teeth and jaws and those bones that were broken. Maggots appeared in Ymir's flesh and came to life (life). By the decree of the gods they acquired human understanding and the appearance of men, although they lived in the earth and in rocks. From Ymir's skull the sons of Bor made the sky (space)... The sons of Bor flung Ymir's brains into the air, and they became the clouds. Then they took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about after (time) they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath (energy). To the stars they gave appointed places and paths." http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/creation.html

[3] JEHOVAH-JESUS (Christian) "In the beginning, God created the universe. At first the earth was shapeless and covered in darkness, and God's spirit hovered over the waters. God said, "Let there be light". And there was light. God divided the day from the night, naming them ' day' and 'night'. This was the first day and God saw that it was good. On the second day God made the heavens to separate the water from the earth and on the third day he raised the dry land up from the waters below the heavens and commanded the earth to bring forth all plants. God saw that it was good. God then made the greater light for the day and the lesser light for the night, and he saw hat it was good. This was the fourth day. On the fifth day God commanded the waters to fill with living creatures and the air to fill with birds. And he was pleased with what he saw. On the sixth day God commanded the earth to bring forth all kinds of living creatures and he saw that it was good. God then said " Let us make man in our own image". So God created man and woman in his own likeness and gave them authority over all living things. God looked at everything he had made and was very pleased. On the seventh day, God rested." - Genesis

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Thank you, Coward Viking. I see you have a new vintage of socks. All your August ones gete banned or just ignored ?

ROFLMAO
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>That's easy.
Once, while visiting God at church, I heated some coffee in a microwave. I entered "60" and hit start. He had always entered "100," which is converted to "1:00" - same thing - but with one more keystroke.
God carried on about how clever and efficient I was for several minutes, even telling a angels in front of me. It was Seinfeld-esque.
That's a God's love.
Now, tell me friend, why should we accept your story as a mother's love? You have not proven that the story is true or that you even ahve a mother. But, then let's say that no proof is required, then my story about God is just as valid on top of 100s of stories that are way more powerful.
If yo say that my stories about God existence and love have an explanation, then likewise your mother could have been lying and besides she could be some stranger who found you on the streets at age 1 and assumed the identity.
So, that was easy, you have no proof.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, he said to prove that you love your mother
He said, "Prove that your mother loves you."

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize a goat could get a PhD. Eating the books don't count as reading the books.
It doesn't count either.

Alka-Seltzer?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God is real....
Yup. Mithra's awesome, eh?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The Huyara?
Huayra. It's the Inca's god of the winds.

>1 Million USD

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
Man is the only species who hunts and eats for sport and pleasure, and not survival, so natural selection goes out the door.
How so? Who says other animals get no pleasure from the hunt and capture of an animal?
It stands to reason humans get pleasure from it because his instincts drive him to hunt for food, thus the pleasure chemicals is what gives him the drive to do so.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't realize a goat could get a PhD. Eating the books don't count as reading the books.
Doesn't.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
Is abortion a part of evolution, and if so, then would ending abortion also be a part of evolution? What about husbands who beat their wives, because physically they can, is it inteference in evolution if a judge sentences the man for acting on his natural selection strength? What about AIDS and suicide is that part of evolution?
If abortion leads to the extinction of man or a physical change in man, then yes, it is evolution. Be it artificial or natural. It is still evolution. I do not see it making any of these changes, so the point is irrelevant.
Same goes for wife beating and judges.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's high time we name the Abrahamic deity something more modern, or up to date.
Herschel, Snooky, or Eldon are my top three suggestions.
Thank you Eldon for the meal I am about to skarf down.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>What you say is true. They have no interest in truth and evidence, they are only trying to lie about science to make some juvenile leap that it supports atheism. It does not. In fact, it is only the atheist who keep evolution mytha alive. The scientific truth is that scientists question abiogenesis and none of them dismiss an idea of a creator or a God who wold have started it all.
Many theists believe in evolution. In fact, the Catholic church now officially says evolution is true. I am quite sure they are not atheists.

If you wish to believe a god started life, fine. Just do not call it science. It is religious faith.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya Serah. Welcome to the thread. You're such a breath of fresh air. These gay atheists are insane tricksters ..
.. don't let my moniker fool you. You see, I have two cats - Leslie & Beau, and, they're both happy. So, Happy Lesbo. These gay atheists always try to make inferences about my sexuality. Sex, sex, sex, that's all they think about. But, like you, Jesus is always in my heart ..
.. do you mind if I ask you a few questions? I hope not.
1. Is that a picture of you and your mom?
2. Are you the younger or older good Christian lady?
3. Are you married?
.. be careful of Martina Navratilover. She's a lesbian who pretends to be a good Christian man. In reality, she's Satan's spawn ..
.. thanks for reading my post ..
Yours in Christ, HL
Hey, um, when's the next, um, group baptism?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah you're right, if only the israelites would have listen to God, but as I said all throughout the the Old Testament they were known to be a stubborn hard headed bunch. You would think after being set free and being fed daily by God raining food down to them they would do as he says, but that's the way mankind is, stubborn and hard headed.
Well then it makes no sense to make a hard headed people the 'chosen ones' to represent god.
Why would a god rain food down to those who were so immoral as to enslave humans?
This is the same god that allows millions to starve that do not enslave humans.
Sorry, but it just does not stand to logic. Nice try to excuse the lack of logic though.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
woo hoo
You didn't say a damned thing.
A generation is the individual.
What do you mean by selection pressure?
You will have failures occurring mostly in the more "intelligent" and "educated" niches, primarily because of mental conditions brought on by those chemicals in food and medicines, and excess EM, such as cellphone usage, the education and the resultant affluence to afford those things. They will breed in lesser numbers, and are dependent on the greater mass of people. They tend to run in herds, so follow fads and such more quickly.
Basic people will be the survivors. They will suffer cancers and chemical injuries, but will tend to breed anyhow.
If someone lives long enough to reproduce, and the species can survive even with such problems like cancer, then there will not likely be a natural selection to the situation.

Medicine of modern humans also tends to change the old dynamics of natural selection. But it does not mean natural selection does not exist.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/w p/2012/10/07/tiwanaku-2/
High in the mountains.
Considering how advanced they were in cutting, moving and erecting big stones like that in astronomical alignments, why did their science not advance to our level?
Maybe they had an environmental disaster? Who knows? Advancements in technology normally occur when a people trade and learn from other groups. Maybe they stopped trading. Who knows? Until we find the answer, we can only speculate.
Did you have a point?
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Dagny Taggart ??..
<< Shrug >>
All the big shots could not resist Dagney. Wonder why that was? Galt, Rearden and the Mexican guy all bedded Dagney and in the end she ends up with Galt and all four live in the same paradise. Only in a female novel. Sort of reminds me of Gone with The Wind where just about everyone had the hots for Scarlett. It must be a female fantasy men find them irresistable.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care if you take me seriously. In fact, because I'm no big fan of the way science had "figured out" evolution, most people hear think I'm ignorant. When I say the ignorant one is the blind follower. Science has been wrong countless times. They may be wrong this time, too.
I am quite sure science is still doing a lot of research on evolution.
It stands firm on the idea animals are decended from other animals, but their are a lot of questions still being looked into. So your statement on "figured out" is not true. Again, that shows your ignorance of what science claims.

Sure it can be wrong, but you sure have no shown them as wrong. And until someone does, why think it is certainly wrong as you do?
One hundred and fifty years of research has all signs pointing to evolution as science says. So it seems strange to dismiss all this just because you think god did it.
I do not even believe in a god, so why should I think a god did it?I have seen no god. I have heard no god. I see no sign of god. It is as if gods were a figment of mans imagination.

I can see fossils. I can see signs of evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 11 min Reason Personified 259
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr ChristineM 843
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr CunningLinguist 29
Atheists, give up your lost religion and seek t... (Nov '13) 6 hr CunningLinguist 229
Atheists on the march in America (Aug '09) 7 hr CunningLinguist 70,963
Introducing The Universal Religion 14 hr Patrick 737
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 14 hr Patrick 397
•••
•••