Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238901 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129947 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, science is doing a lot of research on evolution, much to your chagrin since it is refuting a lot of your preconceptions.
Science does not stand firm on the idea of animals descending from other species, which I am sure you meant. That is one question that is being looked into. 2 million year old Sediba has put a monkey in that wrench, since he was found to be more evolved that neanderthal man and closer to human man. Also, 195 million year old Jurassic rat is laying claim to being human's oldest ancester, so you may want to trim your whiskers and go visit some kins in your nearest sewer.
Seeing fossils, which you have never found, are simply evidence of fossils, not evolution. How many times must you students be told this? The second time was one too many.
Sediba does not defy the theory of evolution one bit and neither does the 195 million year old mammal rodent. I am sure you wish it did, but it does not.
I have absolutely no problem having a 195 million year old ancestor that was a rodent. Do you? Is it an insult to you? If so, then I can see why you automatically dismiss evolution. It offends your thin skinned mind.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129948 Oct 15, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
Good post.
Thank you very kindly.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129949 Oct 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mike.
Are you just meeting Dave Nelson? You're in for a treat. Dave thinks you should be creative and come up your own physics rather than copying other people's physics from physics books.
He doesn't think much of book learning, universities, scholarship, or credentials. He calls a formal education "parroting" - just regurgitating what you've been told rather than thinking for yourself. I think Dave would find that description close to his liking.
Thanks for the heads up. I pretty much figured as much. That is why I stopped debating on this tread for so long. Seems as if all these creationists make up their own science.

Hope all is well with you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129950 Oct 15, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
In the sense of the paragraph he was not using if as a conjunction but noun
If noun
supposition; uncertain possibility: a condition, requirement, stipulation:
Ahh you are talking about magic right?
Oh my...

He said "If there was a god..."

You've determined that word, "if" to be a noun?

Fennario

#129951 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No; but GOD is inside and within, the big bang theory is exactly that, a theory. A thought, and idea..... by those who don't know GOD :)
Why do you behave as if you could know anything about any gods that I wouldn't also know? You have no special senses or faculties.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129952 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No no no, you haven't shown us where anyone's DNA takes them back to an ape or chimp..... Show me the link where a person's DNA proves that they are the ancestors of animals; everyone's DNA takes them back to a person.....
"Everyone's DNA takes them back to a person..." Yes, but what of before this? Our DNA is almost the same as apes, thus it stands to reason we are related.
Our DNA is closer to apes than any other species. This is evidence. Proof is in the eye of the beholder.

Fennario

#129953 Oct 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
Francis Collins openly rejects Creationism, did you know that?
Serah wrote:
No, he doesn't, he says we are far too miraculous in our makeup to be the result of a fluke.... he does believe we have evolved into what we are today, and of course, we have adapted as such.
You don't seem to know what creationism is. It's in your bible, and it doesn't include evolution.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129954 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
Legs likely formed from fins. No science is claiming a fully formed leg sprouted overnight.
This fin to leg may have taken tens of millions of years to complete.
Look at mudfish and you you may get a better picture of what may have happened.
lol. Mudfish are real, they aren't hypothetical fishies that are used to fill in the evolutionary blanks.

You said in an earlier post that you see fossils.

Where's the fossil of all the millions of years in evolution of a fish mutating into a land animal?

Do you se that fossil? Or is it just in your mind?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129955 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Why should he heal your amputated limb? You don't believe, so you should ask your daddy satan to do your healing. Don't come to my dad's house and ask him for an allowance either.
I write on a political thread often. One theist said they prayed to help the girl that was abducted last week.
Turns out her prayers were ignored. I am sure millions of Christians prayed for her. They were all ignored.
So I asked her to explain why they think god would refuse to answer their prayers. She said he must have wanted her in heaven with him.
So I said what was the point of praying then? She refused to answer.
So can you answer what the point of praying would be if god just does what he wants and not what people praying wants?

Fennario

#129956 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No no no, you haven't shown us where anyone's DNA takes them back to an ape or chimp..... Show me the link where a person's DNA proves that they are the ancestors of animals; everyone's DNA takes them back to a person.....
The smoking gun evidence for human descent from ancestral apes is in human chromosome 2.

But it's only evidence if you let it be. I haven't seen that happen with a Christian yet.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129957 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The hypothesis is, the fish that evolved legs did so living in shallow waters.{STOP}
Then why are there fish today living in shallow waters? It obviously works for them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129958 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think we can fathom it, you just cannot show evidence of it. And until you do, we will likely lean on the side of science instead of religion.
You have shown no evidence.

You've only spouted your opinion.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#129959 Oct 15, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How long does it take for a fish to fry in the sun?
Guess they learned to get a tan while learning to breathe and walk, also, eh?
Of course, you had to have those adventurous fishy souls that even dared to leave their comfort zone in the first place.
Pretty fancy adapting.

Let's see you know there is an answer...let's add this concept
nocturnal. Now that changes the whole sun equation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129960 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe they evolved in waters that did not have predators like the ones who evolved legs.
Nothing in the theory of evolution holds all species must change. Nothing in the theory says the species 'must' change or die. Depends, depends, depends.
Oh, of course!

That way, anything goes. Anything is permissable. Right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129961 Oct 15, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Your mind can make you feel euphoria. It all depends upon what you are thinking. If you actually believe a god is great and all that, it would likely give you a euphoric feeling when thinking of it.
That is textbook psychology. Sad you are so ignorant of it.
Oh my. Again & again.

Athitards say "you are so ignorant of it" countless times.

Why?

Because whomever doesn't believe in what they believe in MUST be ignorant...

I say you are ignorant because you can't open your tiny mind enough to even consider the possibility that God is real.

It's quite sad.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129962 Oct 15, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Dysphoric.
Dysphoria - an emotional state characterized by anxiety, depression, or unease. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dysphoric
Thank you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129963 Oct 15, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Richard Hawkings fame is only good to those who believe him, and that's not many. He is famous to the devil for sure. as he is considered by the devil as a true follower whose path we know will eventuslly lead to eternal damnation, such a waste.
Do you mean Richard Dawkins?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129964 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are there fish today living in shallow waters? It obviously works for them.
Evolving to get on land does not mean it was the only way to survive.
If you actually look at evolution theory, you will find this is standard.
Are your cousins just like yourself? Of course not, yet they survive and reproduce.
Now if the only way to survive was to have legs, then all fish would have gone extinct.
As the facts show, 99.9% of all species that have lived on earth have gone extinct, so this is often the case. But clearly not always the case.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129965 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my. Again & again.
Athitards say "you are so ignorant of it" countless times.
Why?
Because whomever doesn't believe in what they believe in MUST be ignorant...
I say you are ignorant because you can't open your tiny mind enough to even consider the possibility that God is real.
It's quite sad.
Ignorance means you are not understanding of some information. You showed a lack of understanding of the information. Thus you were ignorant of the information.
It is not always an insult to be ignorant of some information. Everyone is ignorant of some information.

So shed the thin skin or educate yourself.

Theists tend to dismiss a lot of science. Psychology is one of those sciences theists tend to dismiss. This is likely why they do not study psychology. Thus they tend to be ignorant of what psychology says.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129966 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, of course!
That way, anything goes. Anything is permissable. Right?
"Anything is permissible? No, just more things are possible than you seem to be able to imagine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr DebraE 7,181
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 3 hr Richardfs 81
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 12 hr karl44 7,431
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 14 hr thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web