Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,221 - 125,240 of 224,027 Comments Last updated 32 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

There is money to be made in having the masses worship science as professed by some of its priests. Carbon credits, funding for studies, wild hair experiments and projects to do.

Keep the masses dumb with sophistry and get those collection plates filled up.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. That is because you lack the scientific knowledge to interpret any of the relevant facts.
Think of it this way - would you argue about the technical apsects of a new Ferrari with a mechanical engineer?
The has the stone aged book of hunter gatherer learning , it splains everything DF!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaha! How arrogant!
Why your god and not one from Hindu or the Yanomami or the Trobriand Islanders or anyone???
Every believer in every religion has found the one, true god. You are just like them!
hahahaha
Make Make chose me to carry the sacred egg!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Atheism is a negative which cannot be proven and an appeal to ignorance.
lbr you know when you play pin the tail on the donkey .
you're not supposed to pin the tail on yourself right?
Right? n/m

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Really, really. Atheism has killed over 200 million people in the last 90 years alone, exceeding all the Holy Wars combined.
Those people died because of religions like Christianity, Stalinism, Islam and Maoism. Worship is always a mistake.

Secular humanists have repudiated all such ideologies of violence, religions of despair, and cults of personality worship. Whereas Stalin, Jehovah, Hitler and Mao all advocated genocide, humanists deplore such violence.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had to live with, "We Trust In No Gods" on your money, you'd understand why "In God We Trust" is objectionable to those of us deliberately and indifferently excluded by the sentiment.
If you had to live with, "In Smurfs We Trust" on the currency, you'd understand the embarrassment to those of us who have outgrown such things as Smurfs and gods.
We know that Christians are aware of this, but don't care. You don't either, and you seem more caring than most Christians. How shall we take that? How about when a Christian is offended by what he considers blasphemy or disrespect for his beliefs? Should I care?
I vote for "In Snorks We Trust!"

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

preterism wrote:
There's nothing wrong with saying a big bang happen, except it was done by God. God said in the beginning he created the heavens and earth. He created everything to reproduce after it's kind, including Adam and Eve which were created from dust. So having said that I see nothing wrong with the big bang producing life, because the heavens and the earth had the necessary ingredients to produce the big bang which God created with his word. the word being the source for the big bang.
If a god or gods were involved in the creation of the world we find ourselves in, they weren't yours. Yours didn't use a big bang or evolution. Neither did Marduk or Odin.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Every knee bows.
Mine won't. It was cut of and incinerated.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it does. That is because you lack the scientific knowledge to interpret any of the relevant facts.
Think of it this way - would you argue about the technical apsects of a new Ferrari with a mechanical engineer?
DF, you should see the new Pagani.

What a creation.

I'm starting to agree with this Serah lady.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>And that dear is the problem with evolutionist, they are not scientists.
BYE, TOO LATE. GOOD NIGHT.
you wouldn't recognize a real scientist ..

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci encetech/article-2217286/Globa l-warming-stopped-16-years-ago -reveals-Met-Office-report-qui etly-released--chart-prove-it. html
There is money to be made in having the masses worship science as professed by some of its priests. Carbon credits, funding for studies, wild hair experiments and projects to do.
Keep the masses dumb with sophistry and get those collection plates filled up.
Serah, your reinforcements have finally arrived.

Take a break and let Dave tilt at the windmills.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever.... tell theses scientists they are not scientists, it means jack to me 'cause I simply do not believe you. However, I do think you do believe you, but as we previously posted, ignorance is not an excuse.
they are not scientist because creationism is fairy tales and you do not make science from fairy tales and your ignorance and denial doesn't change creationism into science even if you prayed to your god.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

River Tam wrote:
Don't put your Nativity scene on my government's property and I won't steal your baby jesus doll. It's as simple as that :)
LOL.

In Mexico, they don't put the baby in the creche until Christmas day. Maybe that's why. From http://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/mexico.s... :

"From December 16th to Christmas Eve, children often perform the 'Posada' processions or Posadas. Posada is Spanish for Inn or Lodging. There are nine Posadas. These celebrate the part of the Christmas story where Joseph and Mary looked for a room in an Inn. For the Posadas, the outside of houses are decorated with evergreens, moss and paper lanterns.

"In each Posada, children are given candles and a board, with painted clay figures of Mary riding on a donkey and Joseph, to process round the streets with. They call at the houses of friends and neighbors and sing a song at each home. The song they sing is about Joseph and Mary asking for a room in the house. But the children are told that there is no room in the house and that they must go away.

"Eventually they are told there is room and are welcomed in! When the children go into the house they say prayers of thanks and then they have a party with food, games and fireworks.

"Each night a different house hold the Posada party. At the final Posada on Christmas Eve, a manger and figures of shepherds are put on to the board. When the Posada house has been found, a baby Jesus is put into the manger and then families go to a midnight Church service. After the Church service there are more fireworks to celebrate the start of Christmas."

One of the most obvious differences between Mexican Christmas and American Christmas is that Mexican Christmas is still a desert holiday, whereas American Christmas seems to have been co-opted by Ice Giants from the North Pole. In America, the camels and the sand have been replaced by reindeer and snow. Joseph has been replaced by Santa. Mary has replaced by Frosty the Snowman. Jesus is replaced by elves. And there are no Christmas trees, yule logs, tinsel, Christmas lights, holly wreathes, flocking, or mistletoe - just creches with mangers and Magi.

And the songs about "Joseph and Mary asking for a room in the house" have been replaced by "Jingle Bells" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer."

The Mexicans wouldn't understand this at all:
http://www.galesgifts.com/images/_products/ga...

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
Oh, I forgot to reply that Richard Hawking is an atheist.... of renowned fame.
Did you mean Richard Dawkins?

Actually,(Richard) Dawkins is a transitional form between (Charles) Darwin and (Stephen) Hawking. Now we have yet another missing link, this time connecting Richard Dawkins to Stephen Hawking - Richard Hawking.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
DF, you should see the new Pagani.
What a creation.
I'm starting to agree with this Serah lady.
The Huyara?

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

<quoted text>
Actually,(Richard) Dawkins is a transitional form between (Charles) Darwin and (Stephen) Hawking. Now we have yet another missing link, this time connecting Richard Dawkins to Stephen Hawking - Richard Hawking.
So...

Man evolves from bipedal to invalid?

Evolutionary trade-off, methinks

Yo amigo. How goes it in the land of the golden sunrise?

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
6 degrees of Charles Darwin?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Mindlessness posing as mind. That is the New Atheism.

Belief in a supernatural force is as innate to humans as is breathing. The identification of this force is the issue.

These atheists get on here and make claims that religion stifles science, yada yada yada, when if fact no such thing happens. They paint a false picture to win adherents to their religion of scientism, which is a default they fell into because they can't reconcile teachings of others to suit themselves. Most anyone that has a religious belief has questioned it and themselves, exploring deeper meanings of life, and coming up with a balance. These New Atheists don't have that ability. They let theoretical "scientists" pour stuff into their heads and they make believe they understand them. Why else would they believe that observations made here apply to distances beyond their real comprehension? That "scientists" can recreate creation to nanoseconds from the absolute beginning. That "scientists" can even believe they can recreate the conditions that caused such. If they just had the money and support to try it out. They will get there, just give them time and more money. Trust them, they have the absolute knowledge. These aren't just men, they are real scientists, and will speak The Truth in a unified voice. Once they silence the heretics within their ranks. Yep, "scientists" seek nothing but the truth and to lead you into the future and everlasting happiness and life and joy. Sometime in the future. The Laws of Probability allowing.

The New Atheism. Confused minds that created a vacuum within, and sucked in bullshit painted as Truth.

Real "atheists" question "science", too.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

For some reason this thread dropped off my watch list so I apologise for the delay
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
These are the people you are defending.
Taliban shoot teenage Pakistani girl activist outside school
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/10/09/talib...
MINGORA, Pakistan – A Taliban gunman walked up to a bus taking children home from school in Pakistan's volatile Swat Valley on Tuesday and shot and wounded a 14-year-old activist known for championing the education of girls and publicizing atrocities committed by the Taliban, officials said.
I am not defending them for attempting to kill someone (no matter how old), for that they hold responsibility, I am defending everyone’s right to their freedom of expression. They have just as much right to their view as you do to yours.
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we are the asses, who do not understand shooting a 14-year-old girl! What hatred we must have to not understand their right to shoot little girls!!
Make this sound good. Make shooting, a little girl, noble!
As I said total misunderstanding. Completely expected from one who only wants freedom of expression for his type.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Aura Mytha wrote:
Excellent. Thanks.

Here are some highlights from a transcript I found at http://zepfanman.com/2010/11/science-saved-my... :

"If I have something that could be called a soul that needed saving, then science saved it from religion."

"Stars must die so that I can live. I stepped out of a supernova… And so did you."

"If God exists, God made this [photo of a galaxy]. Look at it. Face it. Accept it. Adjust to it, because this is ... how God works. God would probably want you to look at it. To learn about it. To try to understand it. But if you can’t look — if you won’t even try to understand — what does that say about your religion?"

"To even partially comprehend the scale of a single galaxy is to almost disappear. And when you remember all the other galaxies, you shrink 100 billion times smaller still—but then you remember what you are. The same facts that made you feel so insignificant also tell you how you got here. It’s like you become more real—or maybe the universe becomes more real. You suddenly fit. You suddenly belong. You do not have to bow down. You do not have to look away. In such moments, all you have to do is remember to keep breathing."

"The body of a newborn baby is as old as the cosmos. The form is new and unique, but the materials are 13.7 billion years old, processed by nuclear fusion in stars, fashioned by electromagnetism. Cold words for amazing processes. And that baby was you. Is you. You’re amazing. Not only alive, but with a mind.... When I compare what scientific knowledge has done for me and what religion tried to do to me, I sometimes literally shiver."

"Religions mutate in time and grow in sophistication as each generation of holy men learn what works and what doesn’t. What makes people obedient and what causes rebellion. What ideas people can easily escape and which will haunt them until they have to pray just to stop the nagging fear."

"Religions tell children they might go to hell and they must believe, while science tells children they came from the stars and presents reasoning they can believe. I’ve told plenty of young kids about stars and atoms and galaxies and the Big Bang and I have never seen fear in their eyes—only amazement and curiosity. They want more."

"Look at what religion has made us do, to ourselves and to each other. Religion stole our love and our loyalty and gave it to a book—to a telepathic father that tells his children that love means kneeling before him. Now I’m not a parent, but I say that those kids are gonna turn out messed up—it cannot be healthy for a child or a species."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••