Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,201 - 125,220 of 226,358 Comments Last updated 28 min ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129811 Oct 15, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text>
biopoiesis (biological process)-- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/66167/biop...
a process by which living organisms are [thought] to develop from nonliving matter, and the basis of a [theory] on the origin of life on Earth. According to this [theory],...
Two things wrong with this, and they are the words thought and theory, which makes this to be found in the fiction aisle of your nearest bookstore Why not read a book that is non-fiction and can save your soul and help you live a more happier life. Acts 2:38-38 37 Peter’s words pierced their hearts, and they said to him and to the other apostles,“Brothers, what should we do?”
38 Peter replied,“Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins
Sorry, baby, the Bible is in the mythology section, not the non-fiction section.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129812 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>that's why you believe in atheism.....
Atheism is not something you believe in. It's merely the absence of belief in deities.

I don't do anything that defines me as an atheist - there are no rituals associated with it.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129813 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Give me the link to support what you have said 'cause I don't believe you
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/...
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/sci...
http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/genetics

Is there any more homework you want me to do for you?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129814 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
We all had the same Creator; why would we not be similar? GOD just varied the pattern a bit and created different species, makes a lot of sense to me.
hahahaha! How arrogant!

Why your god and not one from Hindu or the Yanomami or the Trobriand Islanders or anyone???

Every believer in every religion has found the one, true god. You are just like them!

hahahaha

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129815 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I read what you say, DF, but I also read what Francis Collins says, along with many others, and cheers to say I believe them! Why would I not?
Creationism might be full of holes, but the big bang is full of ... well, holes I suppose :)
Francis Collins is an evolutionist (in your words).

He wrote a book on evolution!!!

And in that book he said "people who don't believe in evolution are not educated."

You didn't read his book on evolution, did you?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129816 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
No DF; DNA is proving creationism more each day
No. You have almost everything wrong here.
evolution basically is extinction in reverse
No, it most certainly is not. Evolution is not "resurrection of extinct species." Nothing could be further from the truth than your statement here.
human DNA as you know is one of the most adaptable...
What the hell do you even mean here? It is an utterly nonsensical statement.

Do you even know what DNA is???

(forgive my outburst; this is my profession and your trashing it)
It came as something of a surprise when scientists determined that human beings share almost 99 percent of their genetic material with chimpanzees. This led one scientific journalist to refer to humans as "the third chimpanzee."
False on both counts. We do not share 99% of our DNA with chimps. It's much more like 96%. The 98% figure comes from a time before we could measure DNA, when we had to use blood groups as a proxy. No, I know you don't understand what I'm talking about.

Second, Jared Diamond is NOT a "scientific journalist." He's a scientist. He does actual research, much of which is centered around PNG.
Despite all that is held in common, however, the differences are crucial and allow humans to be allotted their own genus and species, Homo sapiens. Human feet have lost their grasping capabilities and clearly reflect the fact that humans are characteristically bipedal while chimpanzees and all of their other relatives are characteristically quadrupedal as well as being more clearly adapted to tree-climbing as part of their normal way of life. Humans also lack the fur coat that all other primates possess, and, relative to body size, human brains are nearly three times as large as those of the apes.
Finally, all human groups are completely dependent on the use of language, without which they could not survive, and there is nothing comparable among their nearest nonhuman kin. The learning of previous generations is passed on by linguistic means, and new insights and experiences by individuals can become the property of the group as a whole when these are verbally transmitted. This clearly is a key to human survival, and it is a uniquely human attribute. That body of verbally transmitted learning and traditions is referred to as culture.
http://history-world.org/human_origins.htm ***
Yes - all of this occurred through human evolution.
What makes people think that somehow they evolved from a monkey (apart from the DNA being similar, which they did not know a century ago)?
??? Chimpanzees (Pan) are NOT monkeys. We didn't evolve from Pan. We share a common ancestor with them.

You must have been told this before. Why are you incapable of learning it?
And why is it that man(kind) has the ability to take care of the world and the animal and plant life? Why cannot a Chimpanzee, who has been evolving longer than us, apparently, now take care of themselves?
Sorry, but this is about the most ignorant, most thoughtless question I have yet encountered.

Chimpanzees have not been evolving longer than us - they didn't step out of time and then come back after rushing through time. All species on the planet have evolutionary histories that are equal.

One more time: all species on the planet have evolutionary histories that are equal. Life began 3.9 billion years ago. It has evolved straight up to the present. All extant species come from that initial beginning.
We can fly into space.... how far has everything else come in a longer period of time. Much longer seeing as they belief is we evolved from something else? Makes no sense to me at all :)
Your questions are ridiculous.

1. all species on the planet have the same amount of time in their evolutionary past
2. no species is evolving to be like us
3. every species has a unique evolutionary path

Why are creationists so ignorant???

Hurst, TX

#129817 Oct 15, 2012
Oh so the creator of the universe is stumped by the nervous system. Lmfao!! Well he hates shrimp so he obviously isn't very open minded.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Fact? Why do you say GOD hates shrimps?
You think GOD hates amputees because their limbs do not grow back again? Perhaps you are unaware of the nervous system in our limbs..... Do you think GOD hates starving children too?

Hurst, TX

#129818 Oct 15, 2012
Just don't own an iron chariot or eat some shrimp lest God send thee to hell!
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Why should he heal your amputated limb? You don't believe, so you should ask your daddy satan to do your healing. Don't come to my dad's house and ask him for an allowance either.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129819 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Why are creationists so ignorant???
God did it.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#129820 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not something you believe in. It's merely the absence of belief in deities.
I don't do anything that defines me as an atheist - there are no rituals associated with it.
Atheism is a negative which cannot be proven and an appeal to ignorance.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#129821 Oct 15, 2012
River Tam wrote:
God did it.
I think it's high time we name the Abrahamic deity something more modern, or up to date.

Herschel, Snooky, or Eldon are my top three suggestions.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#129822 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
LB, you're a thoughtful man. We both know that in the history of prayer, not once has an amputee's limb grown back. It's never happened. Not once.
If you would have bothered to listen to the debate i posted in four parts between Ehrman and Licona you would hear Licona claim a group prayer for some fellow in a coma at a certain time and the person comes out of the coma along with three(?) others. Names are mentioned. I was thinking about tracking it down but work week begins and time is a factor. Take the time to listen to the debate.
Prayer doesn't work, LB. It's that simple. Oh, it works as a placebo effect - it exactly matches the placebo effect in terms of efficacy, actually.
With that attitude it will not work.
But let's pretend that prayer works. Let's further pretend that your deity is real, all powerful and all loving. LB, you are welcome to pray that God visits me and I have a Christian experience that I cannot deny.
I do pray for you.
I know your deity cannot grow missing limbs back. And here you claim that "salvation" is more important anyways, so be my guest and demonstrate this to all here.
I was quoting Jesus. Not my claim.
I, for one, would be quite excited to have my worldview shattered by your deity. Any deity for that matter. It would totally change the nature of the universe for me - exciting!
Your worldview will be shattered. It is just a question of when. Every knee bows.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129823 Oct 15, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong because most scientist are not god believers and einstein didn't believe in god
Well, Serah was wrong, but not for the reason you stated. The majority of scientists in the USA are christians, which is understandable since the majority of the population is so it's not entirely surprising. The reason Serah was wrong is that they do not attribute the "laws of nature," as the lay person likes to call existence itself, to the supernatural. Even the christian scientists usually put reality before their religious belief and alter their beliefs to fit reality better, not the other way around. Serah pulled an appeal to authority.

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-aut...

Of course the bandwagon fallacy almost fits as well:

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#129824 Oct 15, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it just me but has anybody else noticed that as soon as a godbot gets their butt handed to them on a plate they start rabbiting on about gays.
It's not just you. That's their default tactic.

Location hidden

#129825 Oct 15, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Except get on here and rail against religion.

I see you changed your tagline after I brought up it doing such a few days ago.

The Borderland of Sol

#129826 Oct 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Atheism is a negative which cannot be proven and an appeal to ignorance.
*sigh*

1. There's no evidence supporting the existence of a deity.

2. Therefore, there's no reason to believe in one.

3. Therefore, I don't.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129827 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ya, IANS.
But Matthew 28:20 says to teach everything & obey.
It doesn't say "force them", "make them" or "require them".
It's a teaching that you don't have to choose to listen to. Nobody's forcing you. Why are you so afraid?
For starters, I missed this post until I saw it above somebody's reply to it. If you don't use the reply function, I will likely miss it, since I search the pages of highly active threads like this one using " ain" to find the posts addressed to me.

Second, nobody's forcing me to listen to Christian proselytizing only because nobody can.

But I listen anyway. I read your posts, for example.

Indoctrinating children is another matter. That's a form of forcing, since it doesn't involve informed consent. I'd like to see that stopped.

I have no fear in this area. I can see that Christian cultural hegemony is waning, and think that this historical arc has enough impetus and momentum to continue as it has until the church has become irrelevant to unbelievers.

Still, I want to help in any way that I can, just as you want to help accomplish the opposite.

The Borderland of Sol

#129828 Oct 15, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's high time we name the Abrahamic deity something more modern, or up to date.
Herschel, Snooky, or Eldon are my top three suggestions.
Bob.

Don't ask.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129829 Oct 15, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
As America has absolute freedom of religion, the GOD on your dollar bill is ANY god you choose.
Otherwise it'd say: "In Jesus we trust". Which America can't & won't do.
If you had to live with, "We Trust In No Gods" on your money, you'd understand why "In God We Trust" is objectionable to those of us deliberately and indifferently excluded by the sentiment.

If you had to live with, "In Smurfs We Trust" on the currency, you'd understand the embarrassment to those of us who have outgrown such things as Smurfs and gods.

We know that Christians are aware of this, but don't care. You don't either, and you seem more caring than most Christians. How shall we take that? How about when a Christian is offended by what he considers blasphemy or disrespect for his beliefs? Should I care?

Location hidden

#129830 Oct 15, 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

There is money to be made in having the masses worship science as professed by some of its priests. Carbon credits, funding for studies, wild hair experiments and projects to do.

Keep the masses dumb with sophistry and get those collection plates filled up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 9 min Carchar king 423
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 59 min MUQ1 21,503
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 2 hr CunningLinguist 28
100% Faith Free 2 hr CunningLinguist 12
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 8 hr Patrick 13
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 13 hr Jaimie 46
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 16 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••