Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,181 - 125,200 of 226,389 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#129791 Oct 15, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
do not have they are not scientists
(calling yourself a scientist doesn't make you a scientist)
Whatever.... tell theses scientists they are not scientists, it means jack to me 'cause I simply do not believe you. However, I do think you do believe you, but as we previously posted, ignorance is not an excuse.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#129792 Oct 15, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is this, the people who portray Odin as a god, portray him as a Norse mythology. Big difference. The God of the Bible is not portrayed as a mythical figure
Odin was at a time being portrayed as a real god. Oddly enough, the evidence for the Biblical god is exactly as much as for Odin, Zeus, Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster -Zero
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
You are not being truthful, the atheists and agnostics never address the 300 wiccan gods, Odin and Zeus being to of them. You never confront Kaitlin or Bitner. You only seem concerned about the one God of the Bible, which means that you have doubts about your disbelief concerning only the Biblical God.
Hmmm. I take it you haven't seen me stand up for Christians as well? Al Garcia, Skombolis, Mimi, etc.

Truthfully, I have no beef with any religion.

I have a problem with people trying to overthrow known scientific fact in favour of mythology; I am a crusader against Creationism.

#129793 Oct 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he is right.
The consensus in the scientific community is that:
- The universe was created 13.7 billion years ago in an event known as the Big Bang.
- Earth was formed 4.5 billion years ago.
- Life aroused on earth and evolved ever since.
Every accredited university on earth holds this point of view.
The consnsus is overwhelming.
Now, this does NOT mean that any god has been disproved.
The big bang ~ that always cracks me up :)

#129794 Oct 15, 2012
forgot the link to the scientists...

***Many secular and atheist groups mock Answers in Genesis and the Creation Museum for not being scientific. However, some of the most influential scientists past and present have been and are creationists (see below).

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/bio... ***

Too many for me to list, but you might want to see who you are accusing of lying and deceit LOL

#129795 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>DNA has never proven anyone to have originated from an ape or a chimp or a fish or anything other than human beings. End of...
You can keep on saying that, but it changes nothing.

Facts are these:

- We have the fossil links proving the ape to man evolution
- We share more than 96% of our DNA with chimps

The overwhelming consensus is that humans and chimps have a common ancestor.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129796 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you get your facts straight? from a blog site, skeptics, puhleez, you have no credibility.
But, even your site does not say what you project.
Right here, it says that it is 30% atheists, and 30% I do not know (agnostics). If you followed my blogging, I have pointed out that most atheist scientists soon move into the agnostic category or I do not know. So, if you want to come at me, try to do better than some blog site, without credibility and that does not support your position.
FROM YOUR SITE:
Moving down a step in terms of scientific street cred, there was also a 2007 paper which surveyed 1,646 academic scientists at 21 top universities on their belief in god. Their findings show rates of atheism at about 30% and agnosticism also at 30%, and find that the rates are not dependent on academic discipline; academic scientists in the natural and social sciences have similar rates of atheism.
In contrast to the high rates of atheism among academic professionals, there was a study carried out by The Pew Forum on religious belief in the general population along with several other social factors, including education. 17% of American adults surveyed identified as "unaffiliated" and only 1.6% of the population said that the were atheists and 2.4% agnostic.
Why are godbot so dishonest:-

1. You originally quoted from an none cited poll taken back in the 60's
2. Yes I quote from a blog but the data came from http://pewresearch.org/
3. The original discussion was about scientists not the general public.

The comparison of the rate of none belief between scientists and the general public shows quit convincingly that belief in fairy tales and myths is inversely proportional to education.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129797 Oct 15, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Absolute denial and desperation. Why would I say anything about the percentage of scientists, since your gay bias group never mentions the percentage of gays that are pedophiles compared to the general population. I am still way smarter than Hiding, a fact she has admitted to, on many occasions. It is funny, how convenience always seems to fall in the realm of your desperation.
What you should have said is that all gays are liars and that there are no honest atheists period, a fact that has been demonstrated since the time your gang first tried your flat earth bull.
Is it just me but has anybody else noticed that as soon as a godbot gets their butt handed to them on a plate they start rabbiting on about gays.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129798 Oct 15, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Salvation more important than arm. Mark 9: 43-47.
LB, you're a thoughtful man. We both know that in the history of prayer, not once has an amputee's limb grown back. It's never happened. Not once.

Prayer doesn't work, LB. It's that simple. Oh, it works as a placebo effect - it exactly matches the placebo effect in terms of efficacy, actually.

But let's pretend that prayer works. Let's further pretend that your deity is real, all powerful and all loving. LB, you are welcome to pray that God visits me and I have a Christian experience that I cannot deny.

I know your deity cannot grow missing limbs back. And here you claim that "salvation" is more important anyways, so be my guest and demonstrate this to all here.

I, for one, would be quite excited to have my worldview shattered by your deity. Any deity for that matter. It would totally change the nature of the universe for me - exciting!

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129799 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Hi DF ~ I was thinking this morning I haven't seen you around for awhile :)
A non-belief is a belief and their faith is in their beliefs and ours is in our belief :)
and not collecting stamps is a hobby.

#129800 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever.... tell theses scientists they are not scientists, it means jack to me 'cause I simply do not believe you. However, I do think you do believe you, but as we previously posted, ignorance is not an excuse.
They have been told.

By scientists themselves:

http://books.google.co.za/books...

And then, the Check Mate, the matter has gone to Court, and Creationism/Intelligent Design were shown to be nothing but lies:

http://ncse.com/taking-action/ten-major-court...

Serah, you and I have done this before.

With all due respect, you are a sweet lady with no clue about natural science. No problem with that - I don't say that to devaluate you. There are plenty of talents that you have, I am sure.

However, this debate is settled by those with great understanding of natural science.

And those who understand it ALL write off Creationism.

Serah, this is no debate. It is simple fact vs fiction.
Universities, scholars, professors even the Courts shoots Creationsim full of holes.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129801 Oct 15, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is this, the people who portray Odin as a god, portray him as a Norse mythology. Big difference. The God of the Bible is not portrayed as a mythical figure
You are not being truthful, the atheists and agnostics never address the 300 wiccan gods, Odin and Zeus being to of them. You never confront Kaitlin or Bitner. You only seem concerned about the one God of the Bible, which means that you have doubts about your disbelief concerning only the Biblical God.
All that shows is that todays god is tomorrows myth.

#129802 Oct 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
You can keep on saying that, but it changes nothing.
Facts are these:
- We have the fossil links proving the ape to man evolution
- We share more than 96% of our DNA with chimps
The overwhelming consensus is that humans and chimps have a common ancestor.
We all had the same Creator; why would we not be similar? GOD just varied the pattern a bit and created different species, makes a lot of sense to me.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129803 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>DNA has never proven anyone to have originated from an ape or a chimp or a fish or anything other than human beings. End of...
Wrong.

#129804 Oct 15, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
They have been told.
By scientists themselves:
http://books.google.co.za/books...
And then, the Check Mate, the matter has gone to Court, and Creationism/Intelligent Design were shown to be nothing but lies:
http://ncse.com/taking-action/ten-major-court...
Serah, you and I have done this before.
With all due respect, you are a sweet lady with no clue about natural science. No problem with that - I don't say that to devaluate you. There are plenty of talents that you have, I am sure.
However, this debate is settled by those with great understanding of natural science.
And those who understand it ALL write off Creationism.
Serah, this is no debate. It is simple fact vs fiction.
Universities, scholars, professors even the Courts shoots Creationsim full of holes.
I read what you say, DF, but I also read what Francis Collins says, along with many others, and cheers to say I believe them! Why would I not?

Creationism might be full of holes, but the big bang is full of ... well, holes I suppose :)

#129805 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
forgot the link to the scientists...
***Many secular and atheist groups mock Answers in Genesis and the Creation Museum for not being scientific. However, some of the most influential scientists past and present have been and are creationists (see below).
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/bio... ***
Too many for me to list, but you might want to see who you are accusing of lying and deceit LOL
You are shooting yourself in the foot here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support...

Read up. Evolution wins hands down.

Interesting bit, from the article:

"A 1997 study found that fewer than 20% of Americans possessed basic scientific literacy[145] and a People for the American Way poll found that less than half (48%) of those polled chose the correct definition of evolution from a list.[139] In 2006, New Scientist reported that almost 2/3 of Americans believe they share less than half their genes with "monkeys", when in fact the figure is between 95Ė99% depending on the primate and comparison method."

Serah, you would fall in the group labled 'scientifically illiterate' and therefore you are able to fall for the rubbish the Creationists teach you.

#129806 Oct 15, 2012
***Enter Fibonacciís RatioÖ

Also known as the Golden Mean, Phi, or Divine Proportion, this law was made famous by Leonardo Fibonacci around 1200 A.D. He noticed that there was an absolute ratio that appears often throughout nature, a sort of design that is universally efficient in living things and pleasing to the human eye. Hence, the ďdivine proportionĒ nickname.

Since the Renaissance, artists and architects have designed their work to approximate this ratio of 1:1.618. Itís found all over the Parthenon, in famous works of art like the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper, and itís still used today. The divine proportion has been used by companies like Apple to design products, itís said to have been used by Twitter to create their new profile page, and has been used by major companies all over the world to design logos. Itís not talked about in most photography circles because itís a somewhat advanced method of composition and can be confusing to a lot of people. Itís so much easier to just talk about the ďrule of thirdsĒ because itís exact, precise and easy to follow.

This ratio can be used in many ways to compose a photograph. Lightroom 3 even has a golden ratio overlay option when you go to crop on image. This way, you can line up a grid of the golden ratio to coincide with lines or points of interest in your photograph. At this point, you may be quite confused. If you are, please take a few moments to watch any one (or all) of these videos that seek to explain this ratio.

Video 1: Natures Number: 1.618
Video 2: Nature by Numbers
Video 3: Golden Ratio

Read more: http://digital-photography-school.com/divine-... ***

Evolution is not amazingly intelligent, it is only a matter of survival

#129807 Oct 15, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Give me the link to support what you have said 'cause I don't believe you

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129808 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I read what you say, DF, but I also read what Francis Collins says, along with many others, and cheers to say I believe them! Why would I not?
Creationism might be full of holes, but the big bang is full of ... well, holes I suppose :)
The Big Bang is a fact. The theory behind it is been researched.

Creationism on the other hand is nothing but a children's story.

#129809 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
We all had the same Creator; why would we not be similar? GOD just varied the pattern a bit and created different species, makes a lot of sense to me.
Sure it does. That is because you lack the scientific knowledge to interpret any of the relevant facts.

Think of it this way - would you argue about the technical apsects of a new Ferrari with a mechanical engineer?

#129810 Oct 15, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I read what you say, DF, but I also read what Francis Collins says, along with many others, and cheers to say I believe them! Why would I not?
Yes.

Francis Collins openly rejects Creationism, did you know that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr CunningLinguist 65
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 7 hr Jaimie 57
The myth of the angry atheist 8 hr _Bad Company 1
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 9 hr Patrick 7
100% Faith Free 10 hr CunningLinguist 14
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 10 hr CunningLinguist 39
Our world came from nothing? 11 hr CunningLinguist 427
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••