Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,061 - 125,080 of 225,712 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Collins is not a young earth creationist.
Here: "COLLINS: I don't see that Professor Dawkins' basic account of evolution is incompatible with God's having designed it."
and "...God could also have activated evolution, with full knowledge of how it would turn out, perhaps even including our having this conversation."
Collins quite clearly believes in an old universe and has no problem with science whatsoever.
He is not in your camp.
hahaha; at least you are accepting that he is a creationist scientist (he has a huge team of followers (scientist) that you might want check out...

Your atheism requires more faith than my belief, you are defending it mightily :)

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
See, Hiding?
This is what they're about.
Just different approaches, based on personality.
And nothing based on reality.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There are lots of problems with today's food, mainly because we are not evolved to eat refined sugars and detoxify industrial pollution. You can't just say "it's not the sugars. It's only the poisons." There's a lot of factors that go into it, including the lack of exercise that animals raised in tightly contained spaces have - that produces the kinds of fats that promote bad cholesterol and arteriosclerosis in your body.
Yes; being extremely allergic to many additives and chemicals, including some plastics, makes one very aware of what causes the reactions. Information on the numbers in the ingredients listing on food labeling is easy enough to find, but most people don't really bother, they have faith in those that are making the chemicals and they have faith in those that have legalised it.

If you look at the list of ingredients in the chemicals on sites that give you the info, they will give you the maximum level per item allowed, so that you know how much producers can use, as a maximum.

There is no warning on labels that certain additives have restricted levels as set by the *** http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumerinfor... *** so most people do not know that they should limit their intake to the maximum level per item consumed, because that is not the responsibility of the Board or the Supplier; that responsibility lies with the Consumer. Problem is, most Consumers' don't know that they should know what these numbered codes mean to their health....

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>hahaha; at least you are accepting that he is a creationist scientist (he has a huge team of followers (scientist) that you might want check out...
Your atheism requires more faith than my belief, you are defending it mightily :)
You never responded to:-
Let me ask you some questions, there are 30,000+ gods, 32,000 christian sects and 4 billion Hindi gods so:-

1. Which god do you pray to and why?
2. How much reseach did you do to select your god?
3. Why do you think you are right?

and

Who is Richard Hawking?

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>hahaha; at least you are accepting that he is a creationist scientist (he has a huge team of followers (scientist) that you might want check out...
An ant mound would seem large to an ant.
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
No we just don't like BS.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you say you know how old I think the world is? What makes you think I know how long time is in GOD's time? What camp am I in?
We know how old the earth is based on all kinds of evidence.

Well, you've been declaring yourself for creationism and have been anti-science on here. That generally means a young earth creationist. The old earth creationists, especially the ones who accept science's very good estimation of the ages of the universe and earth, also accept evolution.

But you're welcome to tell me what you believe and you're invited to produce any kind of evidence for that belief.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
And nothing based on reality.
13 grandchildren?

Now that's some kind of reality!!

What's the age range?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Yes; being extremely allergic to many additives and chemicals, including some plastics, makes one very aware of what causes the reactions. Information on the numbers in the ingredients listing on food labeling is easy enough to find, but most people don't really bother, they have faith in those that are making the chemicals and they have faith in those that have legalised it.
If you look at the list of ingredients in the chemicals on sites that give you the info, they will give you the maximum level per item allowed, so that you know how much producers can use, as a maximum.
There is no warning on labels that certain additives have restricted levels as set by the *** http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumerinfor... *** so most people do not know that they should limit their intake to the maximum level per item consumed, because that is not the responsibility of the Board or the Supplier; that responsibility lies with the Consumer. Problem is, most Consumers' don't know that they should know what these numbered codes mean to their health....
Bad god.

Created allergies.

What's up with that?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Serah wrote:
He's only a creationist in the sense that he believes a deity created the universe with foreknowledge of what would happen. He wrote a book on evolution and calls people - like yourself - who don't believe in evolution "uneducated." His words. I agree with him on that point.

But I disagree on the others. His belief is an inference. It's not supportable by evidence, but by personal experience interpreted through culture.

For one thing, if you assume that the Christian god created the universe, you have to explain:

1. why that god and not some other one?
2. how is God moral when He Created an evolutionary process that produced parasites that cause immense suffering among human children?

Collins didn't answer those questions. He's not capable of answering those questions - but you're welcome to give it a go.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>you are so far in denial that you won't consider what others are considering!!
***There is a God, leading atheist concludes
Sarah, now tell the truth. You were not allowed to be near your children for how long? Why was that?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ever looked at the debate between Francis Collins and Richard Hawking?
http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/4047
***Since Francis Collins has now been selected by Obama to head the NIH, we thought readers might be interested to read this debate between Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins from November 2006.- Josh
a little extract...
***DAWKINS: Physicists are working on the Big Bang, and one day they may or may not solve it. However, what Dr. Collins has just been--may I call you Francis?
COLLINS: Oh, please, Richard, do so.
DAWKINS: What Francis was just saying about Genesis was, of course, a little private quarrel between him and his Fundamentalist colleagues ...
COLLINS: It's not so private. It's rather public.[Laughs.]
DAWKINS:... It would be unseemly for me to enter in except to suggest that he'd save himself an awful lot of trouble if he just simply ceased to give them the time of day. Why bother with these clowns?
COLLINS: Richard, I think we don't do a service to dialogue between science and faith to characterize sincere people by calling them names. That inspires an even more dug-in position. Atheists sometimes come across as a bit arrogant in this regard, and characterizing faith as something only an idiot would attach themselves to is not likely to help your case.
TIME: Dr. Collins, the Resurrection is an essential argument of Christian faith, but doesn't it, along with the virgin birth and lesser miracles, fatally undermine the scientific method, which depends on the constancy of natural laws?
COLLINS: If you're willing to answer yes to a God outside of nature, then there's nothing inconsistent with God on rare occasions choosing to invade the natural world in a way that appears miraculous. If God made the natural laws, why could he not violate them when it was a particularly significant moment for him to do so? And if you accept the idea that Christ was also divine, which I do, then his Resurrection is not in itself a great logical leap.
TIME: Doesn't the very notion of miracles throw off science?
COLLINS: Not at all. If you are in the camp I am, one place where science and faith could touch each other is in the investigation of supposedly miraculous events.
DAWKINS: If ever there was a slamming of the door in the face of constructive investigation, it is the word miracle. To a medieval peasant, a radio would have seemed like a miracle. All kinds of things may happen which we by the lights of today's science would classify as a miracle just as medieval science might a Boeing 747. Francis keeps saying things like "From the perspective of a believer." Once you buy into the position of faith, then suddenly you find yourself losing all of your natural skepticism and your scientific--really scientific--credibility. I'm sorry to be so blunt.
COLLINS: Richard, I actually agree with the first part of what you said. But I would challenge the statement that my scientific instincts are any less rigorous than yours. The difference is that my presumption of the possibility of God and therefore the supernatural is not zero, and yours is.****
Yep, in answer to your question, I have heard of Stephen Hawking
Boys and girls; this one is a nutter! Don't be too hard on her.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Ehrman-Licona Debate. Resurrection of Christ.

&fe ature=endscreen&NR=1

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
He's only a creationist in the sense that he believes a deity created the universe with foreknowledge of what would happen. He wrote a book on evolution and calls people - like yourself - who don't believe in evolution "uneducated." His words. I agree with him on that point.
But I disagree on the others. His belief is an inference. It's not supportable by evidence, but by personal experience interpreted through culture.
For one thing, if you assume that the Christian god created the universe, you have to explain:
1. why that god and not some other one?
2. how is God moral when He Created an evolutionary process that produced parasites that cause immense suffering among human children?
Collins didn't answer those questions. He's not capable of answering those questions - but you're welcome to give it a go.
What about allergies, Hiding?

God created allergies, then he had to give the doctors tools to fight against the allergies.

(Serah is into allergies.)

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're welcome to tell me what you believe and you're invited to produce any kind of evidence for that belief.
It's a trap, Serah!

Don't do it!

She's bring out facts and such.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Sarah, now tell the truth. You were not allowed to be near your children for how long? Why was that?
Picking on women. You will get yours.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I say.

Let's have a "be kind to Serah day."

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
13 grandchildren?
Now that's some kind of reality!!
What's the age range?
Kids ---> 24 - 31yrs
Grandkids ----> 10months - 8yrs

Reality, last Saturday we had a wedding rehearsal for my eldest girl and a birthday party for one of my grand daughters.(we came home and slept).

Then Sunday was spent organizing paper work for a new course I am teaching.
(I am standing up therefor I am awake!!!)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
Being a theist is like saying "I reject the proven knowledge behind the car that drives me to work, the computer that lets me do my work and the housing, infrastructure and energy that lets me and others live happily in ignorance."
"Instead I am content to believe that everything in the world is magic and there's no need to thank the thousands of hard working scientists or doctors that allow me and others to live in this ignorant self-inflicted bubble of stupidity".
That makes no sense whhat you're rambling off. Houdini was a magician, not God. Can Houdini raise the dead, of couese not . So you see God is God and Houdini is simply a magician.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooohhhhh, but it's so much fuuunnn.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

preterism wrote:
<quoted text> That makes no sense whhat you're rambling off. Houdini was a magician, not God. Can Houdini raise the dead, of couese not . So you see God is God and Houdini is simply a magician.
Which god? Ptah?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••