Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
125,021 - 125,040 of 226,361 Comments Last updated 43 min ago

“Ask me who I am and I”

Since: Sep 12

will tell you the same

#129630 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I didn't say that no scientist believes in God.
2. I said the reason RR can't understand science is b/c of his inability to understand what subjective versus objective reality is.
Some Christians are scientists. But no creationists are scientists. It's impossible to be that ignorant and dishonest while remaining a scientist.
You are just lying,most US scientists are religious and that includes creationist. However, no atheists are scientist, they quickly become agnostic. It is impossible to be atheist ignorant and dishonest while remaining a scientist.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129631 Oct 14, 2012
Martina Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Since most scientists are not atheists, then you must say that you are full of it.
FACTS: A survey conducted in 1969 showed that 35% of scientists did not ....
Now lets use more resent data instead of your 40 year old stuff:-

A recent survey (June 2009) of over 2,500 U.S. scientists shows that the scientific community has a very different view of God from society as a whole. Only 33% of scientists believe in "God" while another 18% believe in a "universal spirit" or "higher power".(See source 1.) The study concluded that scientists are less likely to believe in a "God" or "Higher Power" as the general public.

It can be broken down even further by the different areas of study:

Biological/Medical Field: 32% believe in "God", another 19% don't believe in "God" but believe in a "Higher Power", and 41% do not believe in either.

Chemistry: 41% believe in "God", another 14% don't believe in "God" but believe in a "Higher Power", and 39% do not believe in either.

Geoscience: 30% believe in "God", another 20% don't believe in "God" but believe in a "Higher Power", and 47% do not believe in either.

Physics/Astronomy: 29% believe in "God", another 14% don't believe in "God" but believe in a "Higher Power", and 46% do not believe in either.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/8...

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

“Ask me who I am and I”

Since: Sep 12

will tell you the same

#129632 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally
I am quite totally awesome,thank you much. Clearly. You were told "god didn't do it" and that's as far as you got. You've accepted a fiction, intellectual laziness and built your entire understanding of the world on science fiction.
Totally worthless.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129633 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that's all they can handle. Honest knowledge and study is too hard for them. They'd rather just deceive themselves and others through intellectual dishonesty than actually have to learn something.
They really are like parasites - enjoying all of the benefits of science while failing to understand even the slightest bit of it.
ABSO(bloody)LUTELY.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129634 Oct 14, 2012
<quoted text>You are just lying,most US scientists are religious and that includes creationist. However, no atheists are scientist, they quickly become agnostic. It is impossible to be atheist ignorant and dishonest while remaining a scientist.
Backwards projection. The percentage of atheists among scientists is much higher than the percentage of atheists in the general populace.

What you should have said is that there are no honest informed creationists, a fact that has been demonstrated many times over.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#129635 Oct 14, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
No, ever heard of Stephen Hawking?
Ever looked at the debate between Francis Collins and Richard Hawking?

http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/4047

***Since Francis Collins has now been selected by Obama to head the NIH, we thought readers might be interested to read this debate between Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins from November 2006.- Josh

a little extract...

***DAWKINS: Physicists are working on the Big Bang, and one day they may or may not solve it. However, what Dr. Collins has just been--may I call you Francis?

COLLINS: Oh, please, Richard, do so.

DAWKINS: What Francis was just saying about Genesis was, of course, a little private quarrel between him and his Fundamentalist colleagues ...

COLLINS: It's not so private. It's rather public.[Laughs.]

DAWKINS:... It would be unseemly for me to enter in except to suggest that he'd save himself an awful lot of trouble if he just simply ceased to give them the time of day. Why bother with these clowns?

COLLINS: Richard, I think we don't do a service to dialogue between science and faith to characterize sincere people by calling them names. That inspires an even more dug-in position. Atheists sometimes come across as a bit arrogant in this regard, and characterizing faith as something only an idiot would attach themselves to is not likely to help your case.

TIME: Dr. Collins, the Resurrection is an essential argument of Christian faith, but doesn't it, along with the virgin birth and lesser miracles, fatally undermine the scientific method, which depends on the constancy of natural laws?

COLLINS: If you're willing to answer yes to a God outside of nature, then there's nothing inconsistent with God on rare occasions choosing to invade the natural world in a way that appears miraculous. If God made the natural laws, why could he not violate them when it was a particularly significant moment for him to do so? And if you accept the idea that Christ was also divine, which I do, then his Resurrection is not in itself a great logical leap.

TIME: Doesn't the very notion of miracles throw off science?

COLLINS: Not at all. If you are in the camp I am, one place where science and faith could touch each other is in the investigation of supposedly miraculous events.

DAWKINS: If ever there was a slamming of the door in the face of constructive investigation, it is the word miracle. To a medieval peasant, a radio would have seemed like a miracle. All kinds of things may happen which we by the lights of today's science would classify as a miracle just as medieval science might a Boeing 747. Francis keeps saying things like "From the perspective of a believer." Once you buy into the position of faith, then suddenly you find yourself losing all of your natural skepticism and your scientific--really scientific--credibility. I'm sorry to be so blunt.

COLLINS: Richard, I actually agree with the first part of what you said. But I would challenge the statement that my scientific instincts are any less rigorous than yours. The difference is that my presumption of the possibility of God and therefore the supernatural is not zero, and yours is.****

Yep, in answer to your question, I have heard of Stephen Hawking

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129636 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Getting any benefits of scientists?
Cola Component - May damages DNA - Cervical Spondylosis
www.cervical-spondylosis.com/cola.htm - United States
Research shows that E211 can switch off vital parts of DNA, causing serious damage to cells. Laboratory tests suggest this could even result in degenerative ...
Light Switcher: E211 additive switches off parts of DNA
lightswitcher.blogspot.com/.../e211-additive-... ...
28 May 2007 – E211 additive switches off parts of DNA. This weekend The Independent newspaper reported on a recent soft drinks research, which reveal...
The next time you become ill make certain you ask for medicine produced by the use of creation science.

#129637 Oct 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
But Serah is not dishonest.
Her ignorance is such, that she is unable to think for herself.
It will sound cruel, I know, but I wonder how she can even take care of her daily needs without assistance.
Insults and rudeness to cover your lack of knowledge? Too bad, it shows your intelligence level right off the mark, and not having met you before, I can wonder how you know I am not dishonest? I might be the biggest flipping liar alive for all you know!!

Your ignorance is astounding

#129638 Oct 14, 2012
I love Hawking's excellent statement here;

" Physicists are working on the Big Bang, and one day they may or may not solve it. "

Funny how people have so much faith in one who has no faith in his own belief!

They may or may not solve it!! BRILLIANT deduction

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#129639 Oct 14, 2012
<quoted text>I am quite totally awesome,thank you much. Clearly. You were told "god didn't do it" and that's as far as you got. You've accepted a fiction, intellectual laziness and built your entire understanding of the world on science fiction.
Totally worthless.
You have to love how Martina calls everyone who disagrees with her a follower of science fiction and yet she never links to science based sites.

Hmm, I wonder how she spells hypocrite?

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129640 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ever looked at the debate between Francis Collins and Richard Hawking?
http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/4047
***Since Francis Collins has now been selected by Obama to head the NIH, we thought readers might be interested to read this debate between Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins from November 2006.- Josh
a little extract...
***DAWKINS: Physicists are working on the Big Bang, and one day they may or may not solve it. However, what Dr. Collins has just been--may I call you Francis?
COLLINS: Oh, please, Richard, do so.
DAWKINS: What Francis was just saying about Genesis was, of course, a little private quarrel between him and his Fundamentalist colleagues ...
COLLINS: It's not so private. It's rather public.[Laughs.]
DAWKINS:... It would be unseemly for me to enter in except to suggest that he'd save himself an awful lot of trouble if he just simply ceased to give them the time of day. Why bother with these clowns?
COLLINS: Richard, I think we don't do a service to dialogue between science and faith to characterize sincere people by calling them names. That inspires an even more dug-in position. Atheists sometimes come across as a bit arrogant in this regard, and characterizing faith as something only an idiot would attach themselves to is not likely to help your case.
TIME: Dr. Collins, the Resurrection is an essential argument of Christian faith, but doesn't it, along with the virgin birth and lesser miracles, fatally undermine the scientific method, which depends on the constancy of natural laws?
COLLINS: If you're willing to answer yes to a God outside of nature, then there's nothing inconsistent with God on rare occasions choosing to invade the natural world in a way that appears miraculous. If God made the natural laws, why could he not violate them when it was a particularly significant moment for him to do so? And if you accept the idea that Christ was also divine, which I do, then his Resurrection is not in itself a great logical leap.
TIME: Doesn't the very notion of miracles throw off science?
COLLINS: Not at all. If you are in the camp I am, one place where science and faith could touch each other is in the investigation of supposedly miraculous events.
DAWKINS: If ever there was a slamming of the door in the face of constructive investigation, it is the word miracle. To a medieval peasant, a radio would have seemed like a miracle. All kinds of things may happen which we by the lights of today's science would classify as a miracle just as medieval science might a Boeing 747. Francis keeps saying things like "From the perspective of a believer." Once you buy into the position of faith, then suddenly you find yourself losing all of your natural skepticism and your scientific--really scientific--credibility. I'm sorry to be so blunt.
COLLINS: Richard, I actually agree with the first part of what you said. But I would challenge the statement that my scientific instincts are any less rigorous than yours. The difference is that my presumption of the possibility of God and therefore the supernatural is not zero, and yours is.****
What has that got to do with Stephen Hawking and who is Richard Hawking?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#129641 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Ever looked at the debate between Francis Collins and Richard Hawking?

(edited for space, conversation between Francis Collins and Richard Dawkins, not Stephen Hawking)

Have you really ever heard of Stephen Hawking?

Derp.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129642 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Tell these Scientists they don't exist lol.... what a crack up this forum is!!
*** http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/CMI_list_of_scie...
Wow, I'm stunned at their idiocy. They're a discredit to the research institution that produced them.

But thanks for showing me that list.

Let me modify my statement to "No research scientist could be a creationist."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129643 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
I love Hawking's excellent statement here;
" Physicists are working on the Big Bang, and one day they may or may not solve it. "
Funny how people have so much faith in one who has no faith in his own belief!
They may or may not solve it!! BRILLIANT deduction
Dawkins - his name is Dawkins.

The thing is, people who've adopted your views will never solve it. You've decided the three words of intellectual laziness are good enough.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129644 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>in your eyes, but in my eyes, your statements are totally worthless... and very very lazy indeed
My lack of your "god did it" produces new knowledge and technology.

#129645 Oct 14, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
The next time you become ill make certain you ask for medicine produced by the use of creation science.
My Dr and I have an agreement - I don't have tests because regardless of the result, I wouldn't have the treatment for cancer if in fact, that is what the result required. I do not have anti flu injections and do my darndest to eat the natural foods that are available. I am not saying that science is not worthy, as such, I am just saying they have caused us a lot of harm over the decades, and also could not tell you how many times they have changed their minds.
They have been known to lie about test results so that they can get their drugs approved.....
***Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science
Much of what medical researchers conclude in their studies is misleading, exaggerated, or flat-out wrong. So why are doctors—to a striking extent—still drawing upon misinformation in their everyday practice? Dr. John Ioannidis has spent his career challenging his peers by exposing their bad science.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2... ***
Have you read up on the history of diabetes in America? Amazing doncathink?

#129646 Oct 14, 2012
***Food is not considered junk just because of high fat or sugar content, there is a long list of poisonous chemicals used by the food industry that are striking people down. And there are many serious nutritional deficiencies in today's food that diminish the body's capacity to deal safely with these chemicals and heavy metals -- with magnesium and selenium deficiencies at the top of the list.
For instance, according to Dr. Ellen Silbergeld, a researcher from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, the poultry industry's practice of using arsenic compounds in its feed is something that has not been studied: "It's an issue everybody is trying to pretend doesn't exist." Arsenic exposure is a risk factor for diabetes mellitus. Inorganic arsenic is considered one of the prominent environmental causes of cancer mortality in the world. Chicken consumption may contribute significant amounts of arsenic to total arsenic exposure of the U.S. population according to the Journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

"Arsenic acts as a growth stimulant in chickens -- develops the meat faster -- and since then, the poultry industry has gone wild using this ingredient," says Donald Herman, a Mississippi agricultural consultant and former Environmental Protection Agency researcher who has studied this use of arsenic for a decade.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/023701_diabetes_fo...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#129647 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Insults and rudeness to cover your lack of knowledge? Too bad, it shows your intelligence level right off the mark, and not having met you before, I can wonder how you know I am not dishonest? I might be the biggest flipping liar alive for all you know!!
Your ignorance is astounding
Serah, have you been to Paris?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129648 Oct 14, 2012
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Seen the size of the list of scientists who believe in Creation?
Oh wait, you might not know what Creationist means...
***cre·a·tion·ism
&#8194; &#8194;[kree-ey-shuh-niz-u hm] Show IPA
noun
the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed.
( sometimes initial capital letter ) the doctrine that the true story of the creation of the universe is as it is recounted in the Bible, especially in the first chapter of Genesis.
the doctrine that God immediately creates out of nothing a new human soul for each individual born.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/creati... ****
You calling all of them dishonest? What about Francis Collins; calling him dishonest too? LOL......
Francis Collins is not a Creationist in that he believes in a 6000 year old planet and Adam and Eve. He doesn't - for him, these are myths.

Collins wrote that people who do not believe in evolution are not educated.

So, no, Collins is not dishonest. He's honest in his faith, but he doesn't analyze his faith in the same manner that he does his science. That's fine, it's not a problem. Science is a tool to be used by anyone, since it is designed to remove human bias.

I apologize. I was using "Creationist" to mean one who adopted the young earth creationism, where the world is 6000 years old, Noah's Flood happened and Adam and Eve were created out of mud by God. All those are myths, they're not real and Collins does not believe in them. He does believe in the resurrection of Christ, though.

#129649 Oct 14, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you really ever heard of Stephen Hawking?
Derp.
Of course I have.... he is hard to miss!!

***A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/15... ***

Why would we have to believe someone who could not possibly know many of the things he states? Probably because he mirrors others beliefs and they cling to it.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 41 min NightSerf 4
The Ultimate Evidence of God 50 min NightSerf 58
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr Patrick 52
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 3 hr Patrick 173
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 3 hr Patrick 14
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr Patrick 425
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 3 hr Patrick 31
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••