Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
124,941 - 124,960 of 224,351 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, you fu[king dumbass; I said that Centralia is the place where you lived when you went by rlbj and I that could meet you there. Where is Centralia? In the southern part of the state; right? Then you fu[king dumbass came back with, "I said that I live in the southern part of the state." Fu[king Duh!!!
Now you want to claim that you live in Vandalia, which is only 32 miles south of Centralia. OK, I'll meet you there; not a problem. After traveling 500 miles, 32 one way or the other is not a problem.
You have an open invitation to come and visit this historic city.

Since: Sep 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The ones hiding in the bushes and shadows and hurling insults and vitriol and posing as elitists working for the betterment of their lesser brothers and sisters?
Get your fireproof suit on, Catcher.
Pot calling the kettle black, Dave.

You proved your cowardice when you threw out vicious insults and then scurried off to hide.

I'll keep working for your betterment, Mr. Lesser.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I said that all christians are against science - just that I am against the ones who actively attempt to spread their love of ignorance. I'm not picking on christians, there are people in every religion like this.
As for gay people, that's up to you to feel like that about them. However, you are wrong, and I think it's disgusting that bigoted ideas like yours can still exist in our society. Gay people aren't "marketing" their lifestyle by being openly gay at work, or anywhere for that matter; that's like saying that straight people market their lifestyle by being themselves in public. Gay people should not have to hide a big part of their personality because it offends the archaic sensibilities of a couple of socially stunted hold outs from the pre civil rights era. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason outside of insecurity or bigotry to be against a gay person simply being himself at work.
And the fact of the matter is, we live in a society where gestures like the one taken by anderson cooper are unnecessary, unfortunately. People assumed that he was straight by default, and I suppose he wanted everyone to know the truth, so he told them. He wasn't "marketing" himself - he didn't encourage anyone to "convert," he just came out. Today it is not uncommon for people to go as far as to commit suicide from the shame and guilt they feel from hiding "in the closet," and when big names like a. cooper come out it helps to remove a tiny bit of the stigma associated with being gay and with coming out, and that is a good thing.
Like I said, itís non of my business what sexual preference he has chosen.

I would rather not know.

Young people who are having emotional problems with their sexuality need to seek professional help.

Here is a 24 hour a day Emergency Hotline for Suicide Prevention.

I hope that you will join with me to encourage people who are troubled not to take their own life.

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your very first line shows the basic lack of understanding:
"One cell turned into fish that grew legs
but not all grew legs, some stayed as fish"

hehe, that was TWO lines, bub. Not one. Can you basically understand 1+1?
There were many, many stages between the single cell stage and the stage of fish.

How many?
As to some fish evolving into land animals and others staying in the ocean, do you really think all fish experience the same environment? Do you really think that the selection pressures on fish in swamps is the same as for fish in rivers or in the open ocean?
Selection pressures? lol If that were true, why are there still fish in swamps? In low-flow rivers? Why to trout still swim upstream in sometimes very shallow water to lay eggs when they should've "evolved" a better way by now....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
When used as evidence, Yeah!
So, a song has never 'touched' you?

A movie?

A dog?

A cat?

A baby?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
So closed? What evidence have you provided to the contrary? Goddidit? I know 'cause he touched Me! That is not evidence.
No. The evidence of the Bible foretelling evolution 2,000 years ago.

Look it up, "creation through evolution".

Genesis even talks about Pangea.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What in the hell is wrong with you?
You know very well what I am talking about, so don't come the raw prawn with me.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The evidence of the Bible foretelling evolution 2,000 years ago.
Look it up, "creation through evolution".
Genesis even talks about Pangea.
More creationist BS. Why don't you just quit the fairy tales and start reading real textbooks on science instead of the creationist BS?

Oh! that's right if you were to do that you would realize your life is based on a myth.

By the way fairy tales are for children.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
So closed? What evidence have you provided to the contrary? Goddidit? I know 'cause he touched Me! That is not evidence.
It is evidence to me.

Prove you love your mom.

I'll wait.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
More creationist BS. Why don't you just quit the fairy tales and start reading real textbooks on science instead of the creationist BS?
Why not read both? They're symmetrical.
Oh! that's right if you were to do that you would realize your life is based on a myth.

That's your ignorant opinion.
By the way fairy tales are for children.
no kidding, why are you still reading them?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and there was a misunderstanding in *both* lines.
Selection pressures? lol If that were true, why are there still fish in swamps? In low-flow rivers? Why to trout still swim upstream in sometimes very shallow water to lay eggs when they should've "evolved" a better way by now....
Why *should* they have? Were the mutations available to do so?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and there was a misunderstanding in *both* lines.
<quoted text>
Why *should* they have? Were the mutations available to do so?
I see all you have is more questions...

Interesting.

Just like all the evolutionary theorists...

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not read both?.....
I have but unlike you I can recognize the simple fact that creationist BS is just that BS.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They're symmetrical.
No, Evolution is science, creationism is just BS pure and simple.

The only people who support it are godbots who afraid that understanding real science will erode the fragile beliefs.

After all it must be frightening to realize that everybody with an IQ above a doorstop is laughing at you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot calling the kettle black, Dave.
You proved your cowardice when you threw out vicious insults and then scurried off to hide.
I'll keep working for your betterment, Mr. Lesser.
They were facts, not insults.

Guilty conscience?

Work on yourself. I'm good.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>You keep confusing your satan and gays, and you mean rape and abuse. How do you justify that, is it because you are gay, so abusing children is okay because they are not?
Dude, just come out of the closet already. Sheesh, four posts, and those were just the last four I read, and you have to bring gay into it when no mention was made.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So, a song has never 'touched' you?
A movie?
A dog?
A cat?
A baby?
That feeling is called euphoria, they even make drugs that can cause it. There are plants that can cause it as well. It's not an uncommon response to stimuli, but to conflate it with something supernatural is akin to insanity.

Most causes of this euphoria are an evolutionary trait, common to most complex life forms though the triggers vary, which gives us the advantage of culture and unity as a species, a very potent advantage in nature. However humans are slowly losing this trait, which is of no matter since nature has far less power over us now, due to selective breeding.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see all you have is more questions...
Interesting.
Just like all the evolutionary theorists...
Key difference, we have questions because we want to learn, you lack questions because you would prefer to live in a happy little bubble.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How many?
<quoted text>
I'd like to know how much time they think it took for a little or big old fishy to grow eyelashes, eyebrows & ears. Did they do this under water? Did their lungs develop under water - requiring them to breathe air and not suck water through their gills or did they clumsily thrash around on land until they grew legs and arms? Were they hairy eyelashing eyebrowing fishies waiting patiently for their legs to grow so they could walk? How long do they think it took for this hairy fish to walk? What did they eat in the meantime? Have they thought about anything logical??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I have but unlike you I can recognize the simple fact that creationist BS is just that BS.
<quoted text>
The only people who support it are godbots who afraid that understanding real science will erode the fragile beliefs.
After all it must be frightening to realize that everybody with an IQ above a doorstop is laughing at you.
hehehe... then you must be the screw that holds the doorstop, because what the hell is

"godbots who afraid that understanding real science will erode the fragile beliefs"

LMMFAO!

Problems with complete sentences, huh? Word association issues?

Thanks for proving that not all atheists are geniuses....

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2012

Judged:

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
hahahahaha.....

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Einstein is probably the best known and most highly revered scientist of the twentieth century, and is associated with major revolutions in our thinking about time, gravity, and the conversion of matter to energy (E=mc2). Although never coming to belief in a personal God, he recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. The Encyclopedia Britannica says of him: "Firmly denying atheism, Einstein expressed a belief in "Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of what exists." This actually motivated his interest in science, as he once remarked to a young physicist: "I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details." Einstein's famous epithet on the "uncertainty principle" was "God does not play dice" - and to him this was a real statement about a God in whom he believed. A famous saying of his was "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/scie...

from the past...

Francis Sellers Collins (born April 14, 1950), is an American physician-geneticist noted for his discoveries of disease genes and his leadership of the Human Genome Project (HGP). He currently serves as Director of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Prior to being appointed Director, he was the founder and president of the BioLogos Foundation, an organization which promotes discourse on the relationship between science and religion and advocates the perspective that belief in Christianity can be reconciled with acceptance of evolution and science.[1] Collins also wrote the New York Times bestseller, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief, which discusses Collins' conversion from atheism to Christianity, evaluates the evidence for Christianity, and argues for theistic evolution.[2] In 2009 Pope Benedict XVI appointed Collins to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Collins
from the present....

and there are a lot of scientists in between that I guess you are ignorant of.... learn a little before you laugh at others IQ's

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 4 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 6 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 7 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 13 hr religionisillness 24
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 13 hr religionisillness 19
•••
•••