Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129532 Oct 14, 2012
I'm going to sleep, g'night.

Since: Sep 10

Gonzales, CA

#129533 Oct 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

The intelligence of humans will survive, but the schools of thought they have produced will fade away. You are looking at a collapse of civilization unless some strong religion emerges to keep order.
Great, Dave.

You want a theocracy.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#129534 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your last comment is correct.
The paper suggests that risk of damage damage is low to undetectable, and that better, long term studies are needed.
If I were designing this - I mean, other than using Asia as your example, since everyone uses cell phones here - I'd want to compare individual's kinds of cancer too. Did they develop cancer in other parts of their body, or just their head?
The study mentions comparing ipsilateral versus contralateral cancers/phone use, which is also necessary. But...I'd guess that a fair number of people switch back and forth - I do.
Interesting, though, thanks :)
Cancer is the least of it. We are talking noise on the elemental level in the mind.

Do you find it hard to study or think when there is a lot of noise outside? The same is happening on the molecular level with EMF. Instead of ears and pressure waves, you have EM noise working on the very electrons powering your very consciousness.

Can warp your head.

Location hidden

#129535 Oct 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, Dave.
You want a theocracy.
It is headed your way,

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#129536 Oct 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No. The way I explain it is an accurate depiction of the way evolution is spelled out by the general concensus of the scientific community.
One cell turned into fish that grew legs
but not all grew legs, some stayed as fish
and the one that grew legs mated with itself & populated land
then some decided to frow fur
while others decided to keep the scales
then some with scales decided to grow to a massive size
while others stayed small
then the earth got very cold
and the ones that kept scales died off
and the ones that grew fur sruvived but were small
so some decided to get bigger
while others remained small
then some decided to walk on 2 legs
while others thought 4 legs were better
then some decided to start talking & drawing
while others kept to instinct only
oh, and there were still some that kept scales and/or wings.
then McDonalds opened & the furry mammals started to get fat.
whew!
An absolutely perfect example of your *complete* lack of understanding of what the science says.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129537 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I'm going to sleep, g'night.
G'night , want me to wake you up later? lol

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129538 Oct 14, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
An absolutely perfect example of your *complete* lack of understanding of what the science says.
ya, right. Of course I edited for space, but that's about the jist of it.

Strange that one fish (or a species) would somehow grow legs because "life is better on land" while at the same time learn how to breathe air instead of water.

Meanwhile, other fishies thought it was better to stay in the water...

Gonzales, CA

#129539 Oct 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is headed your way,
I'm safe.

I hear cowards will be the first to burn.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129540 Oct 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is headed your way,
The best you can conjure up would me mediocrity , but you can call it what you like:)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#129541 Oct 14, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
This is more rhetorical than a rule of logic. It allows atheist to raise the bar for Christian claims while lowering the bar for themselves.
http://religiousapriori.blogspot.com/2010/01/...
Thanks for the laugh.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129542 Oct 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Riverside, you don't even understand how evolution works, let alone the evidence for it. You've got this imagined vision of biological science that isn't even close to what it is.
Yes, I do. You just don't like how I dumb it down to a cartoon-like story of bullshit.

Evolution has been proven that it can happen, but it hasn't and probably can't be proven that it happened the way the evolutionary theorists have desribed.

I'm sorry that your mind is so closed that you can't fathom any other possibility...

Location hidden

#129543 Oct 14, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm safe.
I hear cowards will be the first to burn.
The ones hiding in the bushes and shadows and hurling insults and vitriol and posing as elitists working for the betterment of their lesser brothers and sisters?

Get your fireproof suit on, Catcher.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#129544 Oct 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ya, right. Of course I edited for space, but that's about the jist of it.
Strange that one fish (or a species) would somehow grow legs because "life is better on land" while at the same time learn how to breathe air instead of water.
Meanwhile, other fishies thought it was better to stay in the water...
Your very first line shows the basic lack of understanding:

"One cell turned into fish that grew legs
but not all grew legs, some stayed as fish"

There were many, many stages between the single cell stage and the stage of fish.

As to some fish evolving into land animals and others staying in the ocean, do you really think all fish experience the same environment? Do you really think that the selection pressures on fish in swamps is the same as for fish in rivers or in the open ocean?
Loren Eberly

Mount Vernon, OH

#129545 Oct 14, 2012
Pay property tax on state appraised value of their American Dream. Pay bank interest on purchase price of American Dream for 30 years. Pay interest on lottery winners winnings Legislators invest in school bonds, Pay for all stimulus packages, tax abatements, tax incentives, tax refunds, tax credit, and tax exemptions.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#129546 Oct 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
heh.
"touching" only means one thing to an atheist, huh?
When used as evidence, Yeah!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#129547 Oct 14, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do. You just don't like how I dumb it down to a cartoon-like story of bullshit.
Evolution has been proven that it can happen, but it hasn't and probably can't be proven that it happened the way the evolutionary theorists have desribed.
I'm sorry that your mind is so closed that you can't fathom any other possibility...
So closed? What evidence have you provided to the contrary? Goddidit? I know 'cause he touched Me! That is not evidence.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129548 Oct 14, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
For all your childish bleating you can still not produce a single post where I lied.
What in the hell is wrong with you?

Southern Illinois

#129549 Oct 14, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, you fu[king dumbass; I said that Centralia is the place where you lived when you went by rlbj and I that could meet you there. Where is Centralia? In the southern part of the state; right? Then you fu[king dumbass came back with, "I said that I live in the southern part of the state." Fu[king Duh!!!
Now you want to claim that you live in Vandalia, which is only 32 miles south of Centralia. OK, I'll meet you there; not a problem. After traveling 500 miles, 32 one way or the other is not a problem.
You have an open invitation to come and visit this historic city.

United States

#129550 Oct 14, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The ones hiding in the bushes and shadows and hurling insults and vitriol and posing as elitists working for the betterment of their lesser brothers and sisters?
Get your fireproof suit on, Catcher.
Pot calling the kettle black, Dave.

You proved your cowardice when you threw out vicious insults and then scurried off to hide.

I'll keep working for your betterment, Mr. Lesser.

Southern Illinois

#129551 Oct 14, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think I said that all christians are against science - just that I am against the ones who actively attempt to spread their love of ignorance. I'm not picking on christians, there are people in every religion like this.
As for gay people, that's up to you to feel like that about them. However, you are wrong, and I think it's disgusting that bigoted ideas like yours can still exist in our society. Gay people aren't "marketing" their lifestyle by being openly gay at work, or anywhere for that matter; that's like saying that straight people market their lifestyle by being themselves in public. Gay people should not have to hide a big part of their personality because it offends the archaic sensibilities of a couple of socially stunted hold outs from the pre civil rights era. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason outside of insecurity or bigotry to be against a gay person simply being himself at work.
And the fact of the matter is, we live in a society where gestures like the one taken by anderson cooper are unnecessary, unfortunately. People assumed that he was straight by default, and I suppose he wanted everyone to know the truth, so he told them. He wasn't "marketing" himself - he didn't encourage anyone to "convert," he just came out. Today it is not uncommon for people to go as far as to commit suicide from the shame and guilt they feel from hiding "in the closet," and when big names like a. cooper come out it helps to remove a tiny bit of the stigma associated with being gay and with coming out, and that is a good thing.
Like I said, itís non of my business what sexual preference he has chosen.

I would rather not know.

Young people who are having emotional problems with their sexuality need to seek professional help.

Here is a 24 hour a day Emergency Hotline for Suicide Prevention.

I hope that you will join with me to encourage people who are troubled not to take their own life.

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 20 min _Bad Company 1,038
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min _Bad Company 22,992
Islam for peace, or violence? 2 hr JIN 36
Does Being 'Spiritual But Not Religious' Really... 3 hr Thinking 2
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' Mon Thinking 90
Man center of the universe. Mon Thinking 87
Razer and Ben Affleck take on the atheists Oct 17 Thinking 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE