Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129358 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Exodus 21:1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
You obviously don't know that it wasn't God'd ideal to have slaves. it was man. God made it easier on the slaved by giving the isralited rules for them concerning there slaves.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129359 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
hehehe You don't see the hypocracy in what you just posted?!
"Science...does not make up a cause like religion does."
"energy could have caused the big bang"
LMAO!
It is called a hypothesis. Hawking open says he does not know if this is the fact of what happened. He says it is a mathematical possibility.
Religion on the other hand claims to know absolutely 100% that a god did it.

So science does make up possibilities and then tests them and looks for evidence to see if it actually happened.
If evidence shows it to be true, it may then become a scientific theory.
Do you know the difference between a scientific theory and a hypothesis?
I am not being sarcastic, I just need to know how to explain this to you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129360 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do believe that you are a coward. How many times have you tried to act tough on here? LOL!
You calling me a coward. Is like a house cat calling a pit bull a coward. While on the tallest limb in a tree.

All I can say, you better not fall to the ground.

:)

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129361 Oct 13, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> You obviously don't know that it wasn't God'd ideal to have slaves. it was man. God made it easier on the slaved by giving the isralited rules for them concerning there slaves.
Then why there no commandment saying "Thou shall not own slaves"?

Location hidden

#129362 Oct 13, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another godbot who is incapable of answer a simple question.
I answered it, but obviously you're unwilling to read the bible.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#129363 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In a case in my city a couple of years ago. A large building that once housed a business was donated to a local church. This donated building was located on the main street of the city. The city government blocked the use of this building as a church.
It seems the city didnít want a church on the main street. They wanted the church to move somewhere in the back and out of the way. The city was in violation of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993. This law came about because governments were zoning out churches.
Once the city realized that the public was aware of the law. The rescinded their decision reluctantly. So government has and does try to block religious freedom.
When it comes to nativity scenes. Iím in agreement with you. These nativity scenes should not be on government property. There are plenty of churches and private property to display nativity scenes.
I have looked for that case, but could not find it. Do you have a link?

Southern Illinois

#129364 Oct 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Forgive me for this wall of text. I'm going to do what Eage12 and so many other Christians on this thread do - I'm just going to paste something that I can't honestly verify. Unlike them, I freely admit my ignorance on these issues. I'm only pasting it to demonstrate how ridiculous it is for Christians to paste comments they don't understand about science down and subsequently pretend they've made an argument.
That said, here it goes. Jesus never existed. He is a fictional figure:
"There is no contemporary historical record of any kind of Jesus!! No written Roman, Greek or Jewish sources from this time (apart from the gospels) know of any historical Jesus or Christ. The name "Christ" is mentioned in some later texts (Tacitus, Suetonius Pliny d.y.) but then merely as the name of the idol of the Christians' worship (Read what these sources really say here). We don't even know who the writers of the Gospels were, and don't have the original manuscripts themselves either. We just have later copies of copies of copies of copies Ö of copies of the assumed lost originals. And with each copy the copyist usually felt free to alter details or rewrite whole parts of the manuscript.(We usually don't trust dubious anonymous sources as evidence for anything, do we?)
All the divine aspects of the Jesus figure are "stolen" from earlier similar dying and resurrected godmen, such as Dionysos, Osiris, Hercules, Attis, Mithra, Horus, Zarathustra and others. Actually there are few (if any) things about Jesus that are original at all. Jesus is just the Jewish version of this popular mythic Saviour- character in the Mystery-religions of Antiquity.(See the similarities here).
All the teachings of Jesus are "borrowed" from older sources, for example from the teachings of Buddha. Many of Jesus teachings are almost word for word identical with some of Buddhas sayings (400 years earlier). The so-called "Golden rule" can be found in several earlier pagan Greek (and Jewish) texts. The famous "Sermon on the Mount" was never held by Jesus (of course, since he never existed), but also because it was actually first produced in the second century AD by Christian priests, assembled from what they assumed were sayings of Jesus in different other texts."
Because the Christians on here rarely provide links to their biased source material, neither will I. It's pretty easy to discover though. Just highlight some text and google search it.
I still love you.

I donít know if you have ever gone fishing. The harder the fish fight. The more respect they earn by the fishermen. You are a fighter sweetheart and one day you will be a prize fish.

Southern Illinois

#129365 Oct 13, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW You still have not shown a single post where I have lied.
You are like that damn cat that ate the parrot.

Thereís feathers sticking out of your mouth while you shake your head no.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129366 Oct 13, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> You obviously don't know that it wasn't God'd ideal to have slaves. it was man. God made it easier on the slaved by giving the isralited rules for them concerning there slaves.
Yes, everyone knows that god didn't mean what he said. We are so lucky to have people like you, who can correct god.

I wonder how he feels about murder? On one hand, he says that murder is bad and then he tells his follower to murder their daughters for not being virgins and people who do not believe in him.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129367 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You calling me a coward. Is like a house cat calling a pit bull a coward. While on the tallest limb in a tree.
All I can say, you better not fall to the ground.
LOL! You are such a tough guy! LOL!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129368 Oct 13, 2012
preterism wrote:
I think I got it now! god knew that people were going to murder their daughters, so he made the laws to make it easier for them!

Location hidden

#129369 Oct 13, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
CORRECTION:-
Yet another godbot who is incapable of answering a simple question.
It' tragic to see people who are well educated in english and how to write so but can't grasp what the bible says. It's going to take more than proper grammer to gwt to heaven, but I commend you on your earthly scholastic status. You may please your fellow man on your expertise in the use of proper grammar I hate to say you're batting zero with God, and that's really sad and very tragic.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#129370 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the "natural" selection be interfered with when a human eating a tomato is in fact "natural" to begin with?
"Those that have biological features that tend to prevent them from being eaten also tend to reproduce more than those that don't have those biological features."
That would imply that they are aware. They're not.
"For plants such as potatoes, tomatoes, and others that have seeds, it *benefits* them to be eaten, because it tends to spread their seeds."
Spread their seeds? Through poop? The digestive system of the animal eating the plant destroys the seeds. There's no benefit to the seed to be eaten. But they haven't adapted or evolved to prevent being eaten....
Try eating the foliage of a potato or tomato plant the next time you feel adventurous.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129371 Oct 13, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why there no commandment saying "Thou shall not own slaves"?
Because god knew that the jews were going to own slaves, so he caved! LOL!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129372 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT!! The self-proclaimed smart people here say that "a species evolves, not an individual".....
A species "evolving" to a better suited species is impossible. ONE individual wolud havebto start the chain reaction...
Not sure what the point the person who said this is trying to make.
Scanning the previous posts, I think they are trying to tell you that the individual does not change in a way that is after birth. They are changing due to the way their genes mixed or mutated. So at the conception they were different than the parent. If the mutation is conducive for the environment, the change may be passed on many times by its offspring and so on.

Many terms and phrases that science uses is not always exact to the common lexicon of lay persons. So the phrase 'a species evolves' may not be what you think it means.
Sometimes it is hard for us to explain in terms all can understand.

There are arguments within the evolution community on some points, so what one person claims is not necessarily what is of the whole of the scientific community.
I certainly do not claim to know all about evolution. I would seriously doubt anyone here would claim they know all about evolution.
So do not expect me to always back what another evolutionist says.
And if I am corrected or disputed, I remain open to be corrected.

Southern Illinois

#129373 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I have looked for that case, but could not find it. Do you have a link?
Iím in a small town in Southern Illinois.

It would take me a while to find it in the City Council Meeting minutes.

If you really want to check it out I could give you the phone number of that church.

Southern Illinois

#129374 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You are such a tough guy! LOL!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#129375 Oct 13, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. plants are aware and some scientists think they can see, smell and feel ..
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
It's been shown through some preliminary tests that trees and plants react when another plant or tree in the same forest or field sustain damage or injury. Nothing conclusive, but it's interesting.

I know this.

Trees will try to kill you if they can when you cut them<=(exaggerated and anthropomorphic statement, not to imply it is reality).

They do, however, sometimes appear to do things completely unexpected when felling them.

Sinister ba5tards

I never cut one without a well defined and clear path of escape.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129376 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really want to check it out I could give you the phone number of that church.
The case you described would surely be in the news paper!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129377 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Centralia, IL, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr geezerjock 23,259
$13.5m for jehovahís witness sex victim 2 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr P_Smith 9
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Reason Personified 16
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 5 hr woodtick57 2,612
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web