Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243320 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129407 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Centralia, IL, right?
Nope but you are close.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#129408 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text> Right. Got it.
<quoted text> I'm following...
<quoted text> But not fact? huh
<quoted text> Wrong. I know with a 100% certainty.
<quoted text> couple of big words there...
<quoted text>
there's more of them big 'uns...
<quoted text>
you had me at hello.
<quoted text>
How can you explain to me what I already understand?
No, Hawking does not claim this to be fact. All I am pointing out is that there are other possibilities to how the universe came to be without a god.
You insist it must be of a god because the science cannot show how it could be created without a god.
So it stands to reason if I can show how the universe might be caused without a god, your claims would fall flat.

So I need not show it must have happened in any certain way, all I have to show is it might be possible without a god.

And BTW, can you show how a god creates anything out of nothing? Can you show how a god could be, without being created?

You see, you are expecting way more from us than you can supply of your own concept.
Atheist Silurist

Gloucester, UK

#129409 Oct 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I am becoming more and more convinced that you are running a gag on everyone here. Your posts are hilarious.
You go on and on about how science has gotten it all wrong, and then freely admit that you know next to nothing about the things you constantly dismiss out of hand.
To make matters worse, after you choose to simply ignore something that you don't even take the time to learn about, you chastise people for not taking the time to understand your personal myths. So let me get this straight - you expect everyone else to thoroughly study, and presumably *believe* your personal brand of religious belief (which is just one type out of many thousands, and for which there is no objective proof), yet you refuse to consider the ability of science to explain our universe.
That's just absurd. To you, people are *blind* because they don't seriously consider something for which there is no objective evidence and instead choose to put their "faith" in a mode of thought that has actually proven itself time and time again.
People like you are a dying breed. Even most religious people have been forced to accept the unparalleled ability of science to explain things. It takes a particularly hardy case of brainwashing to produce an individual who can look at the totality of the evidence and still remain a biblical literalist. This is why I'm starting to believe (or rather, hope) that you are a troll. The other option is just depressing.
LOL' I licked this line. "Biology has little to do in my life so i don't spend a lot of time on it"

“Rising”

Milky Way

#129410 Oct 13, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Matter, now can you prove he didn't? Now prove how and when matter was made, as God says, in the beginning he created the heavens and earth and that would include matter.
Great now show in the bible where it says "in the beginning god created matter" . You just wont face the truth the bible is as about as accurate as using a sick of gopher wood to measure the universe with.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#129411 Oct 13, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am fully aware the wording is a contradiction. But I thought I explained it is all in relative terms?
There is no such thing as 'nothing' in reality, as all of space has energy in it. So does that mean you will ever stop using the word 'nothing'?
When someone asks you what you are doing, you may say nothing, but in all actuality, you are at least breathing.
So the word is relative to the context of the conversation.
Now, assuming you understand that concept, can we move on?
He understands, but he is a funded/troll. Or maybe he really is stupid.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129412 Oct 13, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Jesus is showing.
Don't forget the Jesus and the naked guy in the garden.
lol, that's all you, buddy

Southern Illinois

#129413 Oct 13, 2012
This is why Europe and the free world remains free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/worldwar2man/446...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129414 Oct 13, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you need to be a smart ass? I am trying to be civil.
It was very uncivil of you to demean...
How can you 'know with 100% certainty" of something that has zero evidence?
Because God has touched me. I know He's real.
Science does not claim to know anything with 100% certainty without massive amounts of evidence.
I am not "science", I am only me. I know that God is real.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129415 Oct 13, 2012
timn17 wrote:
To you, our system of morality hinges on nothing but a fear of punishment after death.
eh?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129416 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope but you are close.
Well, where are you? My wife's hometown is Streator, IL, maybe on our next trip to see her family, I could swing by the ol' eagle homestead and jump on down from the tree! LOL!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#129417 Oct 13, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
"Non life gives nothing"? Really? We can see matter that is not life form together by forces of gravity and magnetic attraction and blend together to form other objects.
No motivation needed.
I think the point was, "life" can't come from nothing.

As you put it, matter is NOT a life form, but can come together to make something.

But not life.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129418 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was in the local paper. It is a small local paper.
News that big and it was only in the local paper? WTF? Next, I bet you are going to tell me that Centralia local news paper is not on line, like the rest of the world.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#129419 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text> It was very uncivil of you to demean...
<quoted text> Because God has touched me. I know He's real.
<quoted text> I am not "science", I am only me. I know that God is real.
God and some middle eastern man are going around touching men!?!? WTF?

“Rising”

Milky Way

#129420 Oct 13, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not many things uncreated outside of space and time?
<quoted text>
I guess you don't know much math, huh? Your statement is simply false. It assumes there is a *beginning* and *then* an infinite time. In actuality, it is possible there is only a finite time between any two events, but an infinite amount of time in the past.
Since declaring past time cannot be infinite , I became aware of the idea that expansion of space/time can literally make past time infinite. Ever stretching space/time can make a finite point infinitely irretrievable in the past. I never looked at it this way before but now I know now a finite point in the past can
infinite in space/time. Mind boggling but I know it's true.
Such would be the case if you tried to move to a position in x,y,z axis matter occupied in space/time 13.7 billion years ago.
Not sure if you follow me ,but my position has changed in infinite past time.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#129421 Oct 13, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> There is only one church , that is the Church of Christ. God being pure love is incapable of doing anything evil. Just as heat is the absence of cold so is Love the absence of evil. My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
9For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. Reas your bible and read Acts chapter 1 and 2 and you will see how and when the Church of Christ started and how your to worship him. Romans 16:16 Mark 16:16
god isn't real and something that isn't real can't love so your gods love doesn't exist

Southern Illinois

#129422 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, where are you? My wife's hometown is Streator, IL, maybe on our next trip to see her family, I could swing by the ol' eagle homestead and jump on down from the tree! LOL!
I told you already. I’m in Southern Illinois.

Streator, is in the Northern part of the State.

Lol, when you do jump off that tree. I’ll be waiting.

Like they say on “The Price is Right.”

“Come on down.”

“Rising”

Milky Way

#129423 Oct 13, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Could be.
<quoted text>
<quoted text> Infinity does not exist in reality. In space and time. It exists as a concept. In order to have infinite amount you have to have infinite time. You do not have infinite time. You have finite time. I know that much about math. My example included an infinite amount of days which is in space and time. All you have is an imaginary concept. That is not hard science.

Infinity is incalculable so it is a logical paradox to scientific reasoning, since we cannot calculate an infinite sum.
That doesn't mean they do not exist, it means it cannot be calculated and be reasoned with rationally by our methods.

We choose a point to start counting from, that doesn't mean it is the only point to start counting from, or that it is the beginning point to start counting from. It only means we started counting at a point. It is incomprehensible that there was never a starting point , but there is also no way to find the true point of origin of all things.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#129425 Oct 13, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text> So a fish without legs can give birth to a fish WITH legs?
<quoted text> Ya, because the words "a", "species" & "evolves" are very complex words that only scientists understand...
<quoted text> "the evolution community"? Are those, like, smart people?
<quoted text> Good.
<quoted text> Nobody does, that's the point. It's a theory of guesses & facts all compiled together. People with an anti-theist agenda will call it "fact". At least you're a little more honest.
<quoted text>
As do I. I'm don't think I'm MrKnowItAll... I'm not.
I'm just a squirrel tryin to get a nut.
So I guess I am just debating someone who is going to be a smartass and use childish cliches. And yet you wish for us to take you seriously?

I do not think anyone in the scientific community claims a fully formed leg came from a species that has no legs.

The way you explain this shows you have a cartoon version of evolution in your mind.

Southern Illinois

#129426 Oct 13, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
News that big and it was only in the local paper? WTF? Next, I bet you are going to tell me that Centralia local news paper is not on line, like the rest of the world.
At one time Centralia news was talking about going on line. I don't know if they ever did.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#129428 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you already. I’m in Southern Illinois.
Streator, is in the Northern part of the State.
Lol, when you do jump off that tree. I’ll be waiting.
Like they say on “The Price is Right.”
“Come on down.”
.. Sullivan, IL ??..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 20 min superwilly 35
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min dirtclod 19,774
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 9,340
Disney Buys The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latte... (Nov '12) 3 hr millertr1 5
News Study: Public opinion not swayed by atheist arg... 11 hr geezerjock 2
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 12 hr dirtclod 6,213
Atheists have morals too! 22 hr Lelouch0 6
More from around the web