Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
124,641 - 124,660 of 226,301 Comments Last updated 14 min ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129220 Oct 12, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ya, IANS.
But Matthew 28:20 says to teach everything & obey.
It doesn't say "force them", "make them" or "require them".
It's a teaching that you don't have to choose to listen to. Nobody's forcing you.
Why are you so afraid?
Christianity has a history of using force to promote its message when it can. It has a history of colluding with tyrants to get its message across. It has a history of lying to get converts.

In fact, you used this message of dishonesty in the prove thread by purposefully misquoting a prominent evolutionary biologist, Richard Lewontin. He wrote something very, very important to the philosophy of science and, by removing select wording, you turned it into religious propaganda.

So we all see how your religion works and how it is unethically pushed on others.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#129221 Oct 12, 2012
U issso booteafool wrote:
<quoted text>
Y u hidden yo URL butttt show ye Editing Santa fee NM PHd4Lab Animo mading the fire craker;) U hidden yo CARbon footprint but leading yo brainsells waver ParteaCO;-0000 hop ye enjoy textin cope typoo frum Xplore soft ware;=0000
I really, really tried to understand that. But all I got was dizzy.:-)

I hide my URL because I live 10 miles past the sunset. I don't want anyone getting lost looking for me.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129222 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that bullies are cowards?
Thatís a yes or a no answer.
Yes.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129223 Oct 12, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a leading Horseshoe crab expert? Awesome. How sad would it be to be the second best Horseshoe crab expert?
hahahahaha!!!

Location hidden

#129224 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Species evolve, not individuals. Say it with me. Species evolve, not individuals. One more time? Species evolve, not individuals.
Next: Why do plants evolve?
Do you honestly believe that the environments of animals change while plant environments remain exactly the same? Are you trying to tell us that, throughout world history, the environments of plants never changes? How the hell does the animal's environment change, but not that of plants?!?
The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs had no effect on plants, RR? Volcanoes, no effect on plants? Global climate changes, no effect on plants?
What do you think plants do? They just sit there, happily being eaten by insects and animals - and there's no selection pressure?
Plants are not mobile. They are attacked by insects, viruses, fungi, bacteria and animals. Other plants also parasitize them and plants compete for sunlight. All of these act as selection pressure on plants - just like animals, those that can survive and reproduce better will have their genes represented in higher proportion in the next generation.
Plants produce toxins to deal with insects. Insects evolve around those toxins - but they have to specialize to do so. That's why each plant species almost invariably has an insect species that only eats it. That's why we have the carrot beetle, the tomato worm, etc. Because only those species of insects can get around the plant's toxin defenses to eat it.
But if plants focus on producing too much toxin, they can't divert energy and resources to getting taller and bigger. Then other plants beat them out for the sunlight. This is why, if you look at your garden, some species grow really fast but are eaten more (less poison production), while others grow slowly but are eaten quite a bit less.
In short, plants are competing with other plants and everything that eats them. Their environment changes with each new input - new insect, new plant, new gene in a rival plant, etc.
Teacher, could you give us a 4000 character lecture on how species evolve without individuals of said species contributing to the phenomenon along the way?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129225 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You - all people - are a product of both environment and genetics. There's no other way, unless you want to add magic.
Education makes people atheists. I never teach atheism in my class - not the place to - but I teach critical thinking. That's enough for the smarter students to start reflecting on the nature of religion.
To be honest, a lot of students come to me, to make fun of religion. I think there's a much higher percentage of atheists among those going through university now.
Eagle, your religion has been promoted and is promoted everywhere - TV shows, media, violations of personal space, people walking around pushing it. The amount of atheist media compared to Christian media is insignificant, a tiny fraction. Your complaint here is a joke.
Imagine if we demanded equal time to be heard how upset you'd be.
Personally, we should teach children about all religions in elementary school. Don't even bother with atheism, just define it in one class or something.
Atheism is very cunning when itís being taught in education and universities. Itís not in your face but itís there.

Atheist have the right approach when it comes to marketing their ideology. Except when they put up a sign on a freeway. They seem to get a pretty good backlash from it.

Iím ok with people choosing to be atheist if that is what they want to believe. As long as they donít block my freedom of choice and right to freedom of religion.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129226 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity has a history of using force to promote its message when it can. It has a history of colluding with tyrants to get its message across. It has a history of lying to get converts.
In fact, you used this message of dishonesty in the prove thread by purposefully misquoting a prominent evolutionary biologist, Richard Lewontin. He wrote something very, very important to the philosophy of science and, by removing select wording, you turned it into religious propaganda.
So we all see how your religion works and how it is unethically pushed on others.
Atheist Leaders and the number of deaths from wiki

Russia/Soviet Union
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (1870ó1924): Marxist revolutionary and leader of the Bolsheviks. Lenin considered atheist and anti-religious propaganda to be essential to promoting communism.[18]
Nikita Khrushchev (1894Ė1971): Soviet General Secretary, 1953Ė1964.,[19][20]
Joseph Stalin: General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union's Central Committee from 1922 until his death in 1953.[21]
Leon Trotsky (1879Ė1940): Marxist theorist.[22]
Mikhail Gorbachev (1931Ė): Former Soviet president

Jiang Zemin (1926Ė): Chinese communist politician, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China 1989Ė2002 and President of China 1993Ė2003.[3] Mao Zedong (1893Ė1976): Chinese military and political leader, who led the Communist Party of China to victory in the Chinese Civil War, and was the leader of the People's Republic of China from its establishment in 1949 until his death in 1976. Under his leadership, China officially became an atheist state

the introduction, editor Stťphane Courtois asserts that "...Communist regimes...turned mass crime into a full-blown system of government". He cites a death toll which totals 94 million, not counting the "excess deaths" (decrease of the population due to lower than-expected birth rates). The breakdown of the number of deaths given by Courtois is as follows:
65 million in the People's Republic of China
20 million in the Soviet Union[3]
2 million in Cambodia
2 million in North Korea
1.7 million in Africa
1.5 million in Afghanistan
1 million in the Communist states of Eastern Europe
1 million in Vietnam[4]
150,000 in Latin America
10,000 deaths "resulting from actions of the international Communist movement and Communist parties not in power."(p. 4)

More than 123 Million died at the hands of Atheist Leaders!!!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129227 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In the case of the horseshoe crab. I guarantee you the pressures and itís environment has changed plenty in 500 million years. Yet it has remained unchanged in 500 million years.
So Evolutionist come up with this response that it didnít need to change because itís suited for itís environment. 500 million years is a hell of a long time.
Uh...baby...it has undergone evolution. Again, the horseshoe crab you are looking at is a different species than the one of hundreds of millions of years ago. You just refuse to listen.

Here, paper demonstrating that modern horseshoe crabs are different than those in the past. It's technical, but perhaps that technicality will provide you some insight on why your comments are grossly oversimplified to the point of not containing information.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/09/07/...

"The basic arrangement of limbs in euarthropods consists of a uniramous head appendage followed by a series of biramous appendages. The body is divided into functional units or tagmata which are usually distinguished by further differentiation of the limbs. The living horseshoe crabs are remnants of a much larger diversity of aquatic chelicerates. The limbs of the anterior and posterior divisions of the body of living horseshoe crabs differ in the loss of the outer and inner ramus, respectively, of an ancestral biramous limb. Here we report a new fossil horseshoe crab from the mid-Silurian Lagerstštte in Herefordshire, United Kingdom (approximately 425 Myr B.P.), a site that has yielded a remarkably preserved assemblage of soft-bodied fossils. The limbs of the new form can be homologized with those of living Limulus, but retain an ancestral biramous morphology. Remarkably, however, the two limb branches originate separately, providing fossil evidence to suggest that repression or loss of gene expression might have given rise to the appendage morphology of Limulus. Both branches of the prosomal limbs of this new fossil are robust and segmented in contrast to their morphology in Cambrian arthropods, revealing that a true biramous limb was once present in chelicerates as well as in the mandibulates."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129228 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is very cunning when itís being taught in education and universities. Itís not in your face but itís there.
Atheist have the right approach when it comes to marketing their ideology. Except when they put up a sign on a freeway. They seem to get a pretty good backlash from it.
Iím ok with people choosing to be atheist if that is what they want to believe. As long as they donít block my freedom of choice and right to freedom of religion.
No atheist attempts to block your freedom of choice.

Christianity is everywhere in America. It's impossible to get away from it. You're just being sensitive because another voice is being heard - and, given that atheism meshes with evidence and provides critical thinking, intelligent young people are giving up religion.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129229 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Atheist Leaders and the number of deaths from wiki
Oh, please. Back to this again. Christianity has killed far, far more people in its bloody history. Almost all genocides since the 1400's, worldwide massacre of people after people.

And, guess what? Stalin was religiously educated and supported by the Russian Orthodox Church who, even to this day, hang murals of him.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129230 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text> - all kinds of uninformed ideas about evolution deleted
Here, Eagle, this might help you understand biology better. It's wikipedia, so it's not that technical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_comm...

Let me know if you need anything cleared up for you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129231 Oct 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Teacher, could you give us a 4000 character lecture on how species evolve without individuals of said species contributing to the phenomenon along the way?
You are mischaracterizing what I said and so have difficulties understanding.

Once again, individuals do not evolve. They are born with mutations, sure, and that contributes to evolutionary change if those mutations are passed down, but the individual is not evolving. The species' genome is.

Evolution takes place because of the differential survival and reproduction of individuals (and genes). Thus, you can look at individuals as the units of evolution (although you can also see genes as the units of evolution and individuals as the stage/program of where the dance is played out).

Since individuals do not become new individuals with new genes, they do not evolve.

Is this that difficult for you, Dave?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129232 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, please. Back to this again. Christianity has killed far, far more people in its bloody history. Almost all genocides since the 1400's, worldwide massacre of people after people.
And, guess what? Stalin was religiously educated and supported by the Russian Orthodox Church who, even to this day, hang murals of him.
Christian psychology 101 , stop people from murdering themselves and other people by murdering all of them. The only problem after their done , is where to bury the survivors.

Location hidden

#129233 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mischaracterizing what I said and so have difficulties understanding.
Once again, individuals do not evolve. They are born with mutations, sure, and that contributes to evolutionary change if those mutations are passed down, but the individual is not evolving. The species' genome is.
Evolution takes place because of the differential survival and reproduction of individuals (and genes). Thus, you can look at individuals as the units of evolution (although you can also see genes as the units of evolution and individuals as the stage/program of where the dance is played out).
Since individuals do not become new individuals with new genes, they do not evolve.
Is this that difficult for you, Dave?
"Species evolve, not individuals. Say it with me. Species evolve, not individuals. One more time? Species evolve, not individuals."

Those were your words, lovey.

If an individual inherited mutated genes from its parent, did it not evolve? Or its offspring if such mutation enabled its survival and reproduction? If that individual was the only offspring and died before it reproduced, did it not affect the evolution of the species genomes?

If they were units, it would be assumed their survival to reproduce, or death before such, evolved the species. On the individual level. For one thing, the individual had to develop the mutation for it to be passed on. Its individual ability to exploit an advantage evolved within itself.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129238 Oct 12, 2012
Atheism simply put are made up of individuals that rather believe that a creator isn't necessary to produce life. There's nothing wrong with saying a big bang happen, except it was done by God. God said in the beginning he created the heavens and earth. He created everything to reproduce after it's kind, including Adam and Eve which were created from dust. So having said that I see nothing wrong with the big bang producing life, because the heavens and the earth had the necessary ingredients to produce the big bang which God created with his word. the word being the source for the big bang.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129239 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't personally know any atheists that want to thwart your freedoms. I love diversity. Some of my best friends are Christians. Some of my friends are Daoists. Don't put your Nativity scene on my government's property and I won't steal your baby jesus doll. It's as simple as that :)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129240 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't done with God's approval these atrocities you speak of were done by evil people. The devi is very cunning in his ways, as stalin was of the devil in his actions and deeds. This is so ridiculous to say that stalin or hitler were Christians, only your deeds and actions prove you a Christian or, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129241 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
Atheism simply put are made up of individuals that rather believe that a creator isn't necessary to produce life. There's nothing wrong with saying a big bang happen, except it was done by God. God said in the beginning he created the heavens and earth. He created everything to reproduce after it's kind, including Adam and Eve which were created from dust. So having said that I see nothing wrong with the big bang producing life, because the heavens and the earth had the necessary ingredients to produce the big bang which God created with his word. the word being the source for the big bang.

Creationists have the uncanny ability to see everything biblical , no matter what direction they look. How incredulous can we be , I mean it's not like you rely on religious fallacy to express the notion!

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129243 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> It wasn't done with God's approval these atrocities you speak of were done by evil people. The devi is very cunning in his ways, as stalin was of the devil in his actions and deeds. This is so ridiculous to say that stalin or hitler were Christians, only your deeds and actions prove you a Christian or, a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Wheats and Tares, Wheats and Tares.

Since: Sep 10

Soledad, CA

#129244 Oct 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Catcher shoots from the shadows. Luckily for him, they are blanks.
Come out into the light, big boy. Give us some substance.
Can't prove nothing about a nothing, right?
Coward.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 36 min _Bad Company 419
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 45 min Mikko 45
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 1 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 172
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Patrick 21,501
100% Faith Free 4 hr Thinking 11
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr ChristineM 902
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••