Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129232 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, please. Back to this again. Christianity has killed far, far more people in its bloody history. Almost all genocides since the 1400's, worldwide massacre of people after people.
And, guess what? Stalin was religiously educated and supported by the Russian Orthodox Church who, even to this day, hang murals of him.
Christian psychology 101 , stop people from murdering themselves and other people by murdering all of them. The only problem after their done , is where to bury the survivors.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#129233 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mischaracterizing what I said and so have difficulties understanding.
Once again, individuals do not evolve. They are born with mutations, sure, and that contributes to evolutionary change if those mutations are passed down, but the individual is not evolving. The species' genome is.
Evolution takes place because of the differential survival and reproduction of individuals (and genes). Thus, you can look at individuals as the units of evolution (although you can also see genes as the units of evolution and individuals as the stage/program of where the dance is played out).
Since individuals do not become new individuals with new genes, they do not evolve.
Is this that difficult for you, Dave?
"Species evolve, not individuals. Say it with me. Species evolve, not individuals. One more time? Species evolve, not individuals."

Those were your words, lovey.

If an individual inherited mutated genes from its parent, did it not evolve? Or its offspring if such mutation enabled its survival and reproduction? If that individual was the only offspring and died before it reproduced, did it not affect the evolution of the species genomes?

If they were units, it would be assumed their survival to reproduce, or death before such, evolved the species. On the individual level. For one thing, the individual had to develop the mutation for it to be passed on. Its individual ability to exploit an advantage evolved within itself.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129238 Oct 12, 2012
Atheism simply put are made up of individuals that rather believe that a creator isn't necessary to produce life. There's nothing wrong with saying a big bang happen, except it was done by God. God said in the beginning he created the heavens and earth. He created everything to reproduce after it's kind, including Adam and Eve which were created from dust. So having said that I see nothing wrong with the big bang producing life, because the heavens and the earth had the necessary ingredients to produce the big bang which God created with his word. the word being the source for the big bang.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#129239 Oct 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Iím ok with people choosing to be atheist if that is what they want to believe. As long as they donít block my freedom of choice and right to freedom of religion.
I don't personally know any atheists that want to thwart your freedoms. I love diversity. Some of my best friends are Christians. Some of my friends are Daoists. Don't put your Nativity scene on my government's property and I won't steal your baby jesus doll. It's as simple as that :)

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129240 Oct 12, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, please. Back to this again. Christianity has killed far, far more people in its bloody history. Almost all genocides since the 1400's, worldwide massacre of people after people.
And, guess what? Stalin was religiously educated and supported by the Russian Orthodox Church who, even to this day, hang murals of him.
It wasn't done with God's approval these atrocities you speak of were done by evil people. The devi is very cunning in his ways, as stalin was of the devil in his actions and deeds. This is so ridiculous to say that stalin or hitler were Christians, only your deeds and actions prove you a Christian or, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#129241 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
Atheism simply put are made up of individuals that rather believe that a creator isn't necessary to produce life. There's nothing wrong with saying a big bang happen, except it was done by God. God said in the beginning he created the heavens and earth. He created everything to reproduce after it's kind, including Adam and Eve which were created from dust. So having said that I see nothing wrong with the big bang producing life, because the heavens and the earth had the necessary ingredients to produce the big bang which God created with his word. the word being the source for the big bang.

Creationists have the uncanny ability to see everything biblical , no matter what direction they look. How incredulous can we be , I mean it's not like you rely on religious fallacy to express the notion!

Location hidden

#129243 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> It wasn't done with God's approval these atrocities you speak of were done by evil people. The devi is very cunning in his ways, as stalin was of the devil in his actions and deeds. This is so ridiculous to say that stalin or hitler were Christians, only your deeds and actions prove you a Christian or, a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Wheats and Tares, Wheats and Tares.

Since: Sep 10

Soledad, CA

#129244 Oct 12, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
Catcher shoots from the shadows. Luckily for him, they are blanks.
Come out into the light, big boy. Give us some substance.
Can't prove nothing about a nothing, right?
Coward.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#129245 Oct 12, 2012
LlE Buster wrote:
<quoted text>Beavis, I assure you that neither the croonies or you have done any lac work, lived with reason, or read books with understanding.
If you can not read and discern the Bible, you have no basis for science. You are just another "flat earther", still battling the spherical ancient teachings of the Bible.
No, Beavis, the earth is still not flat, although your mindbot crowd called it a fact. So, Beavis, the tenants and design of science all came from God and the minds of the religious. Your crowd was known as heathens, imbeciles and heretics.
Your bible only requires "discernment" because it is nothing but one huge flaw, written to lull inbred hicks working the fields and allow their masters, the preachers, to rule the land without having to fight for it.

If you cannot debate intellectually, then why do you bother thinking? If you live only based on one book, then why do you bother speaking? Theists are stuck on one track and you are all incapable of expanding your minds, your knowledge, your learning, so why do you bother living? There is an afterlife waiting for you, so you have no reason to continue infecting our world.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#129246 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> It wasn't done with God's approval these atrocities you speak of were done by evil people. The devi is very cunning in his ways, as stalin was of the devil in his actions and deeds. This is so ridiculous to say that stalin or hitler were Christians, only your deeds and actions prove you a Christian or, a wolf in sheep's clothing.
So when your god commanded the Isrealites to slaughter and rape, that was not justified?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#129247 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
So, you're saying "it's all good as long as you give credit to my god?" That's rather presumptuous of you, considering all the thousands and millions of other gods with the same amount of evidence yours has. What if you give credit to the wrong one?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#129248 Oct 12, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Really, really. Atheism has killed over 200 million people in the last 90 years alone, exceeding all the Holy Wars combined.
According to your bible ... 22 million on it's own. Conservative at 2,476,633 by his own hand. Satan killed 10.

Then we tally in the millions killed in the name of your god, well over 300 million.

Now, how many "atheism" has killed is zero. None, none died in the name of atheism. Nice. Yeah.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129253 Oct 12, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text>
.....There is but one true church? and that would be the Church of Christ, Romans 16:16, Mark 16:16. Study Acts 2...
All that means is you base your life on a book of myths.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129255 Oct 12, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
True. Your babbling doesn't work on the educated and rational people here.
Maybe you should stick to teaching Sunday School.
He has to graduate from Sunday School first.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129258 Oct 13, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't prove nothing about a nothing, right?
Exactly, we all know your god is nothing.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129259 Oct 13, 2012
U issso booteafool wrote:
<quoted text>
is u charlie darwin adopted son!!;)
No DN is just an evolutionary dead end.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129260 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that bullies are cowards?
Thatís a yes or a no answer.
And once again you prove that godbots can answer a simple question.

Location hidden

#129261 Oct 13, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>All your post means is that you base your life on weeks of lusting after gays. Based on the two options, yours is the wrong one.
It makes me sad when everybody hates my wittle boi. My wittle boi could have been a big boy but he kept trying to hump the Bull Mastiff next door. Even though it was a male !!

I said, "No, No, don't do that, Oh, ewwwwwww".

Now he's my stupid wittle boi. Oh well.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129262 Oct 13, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is very cunning when itís being taught in education and universities. Itís not in your face but itís there.
Atheist have the right approach when it comes to marketing their ideology. Except when they put up a sign on a freeway. They seem to get a pretty good backlash from it.
Iím ok with people choosing to be atheist if that is what they want to believe. As long as they donít block my freedom of choice and right to freedom of religion.
Real education reduces religion to myth status.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129263 Oct 13, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mischaracterizing what I said and so have difficulties understanding.
Once again, individuals do not evolve. They are born with mutations, sure, and that contributes to evolutionary change if those mutations are passed down, but the individual is not evolving. The species' genome is.
Evolution takes place because of the differential survival and reproduction of individuals (and genes). Thus, you can look at individuals as the units of evolution (although you can also see genes as the units of evolution and individuals as the stage/program of where the dance is played out).
Since individuals do not become new individuals with new genes, they do not evolve.
Is this that difficult for you, Dave?
Yes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Aura Mytha 18,843
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 4 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 12 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 12 hr thetruth 1,341
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web