Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#129057 Oct 11, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?

You are using the wrong application for the word “coward,” my friend.

Misapplying words in a sentence shows a poor understanding and use of the language.
You are using the wrong application of the word "mind".

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#129058 Oct 11, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution as you preach it.

Even Darwin left it open to being a method used by God.
I don't preach anything.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#129059 Oct 11, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Denying religions on the basis of their texts and scientific observations is one thing. Quite easy to do.

But the atheist denial of the existence of a higher intelligence or force that created and/or drives the organization resulting in our ability to "reason" is something else. That is getting into the territory of runaway ego and mental issues. A weird one at that. They will submit themselves to the superiority of fellow humans, but not to a higher supernatural force. Strange.
Why?

There is ample evidence of superior fellow humans.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#129061 Oct 11, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>The differences in length varies too much to be of any use.
Keeps me from rolling out of bed in the morning.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129062 Oct 11, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Nothing more than misrepresentation and condescending personal attack. I do not claim to know more than the physicists snd to question abiogenesis and self created universe is not the same as combating malaria. Of course this does not stop you from your little hit piece sure to receive praise from topix atheists here. Then you have the gall to appeal to honesty in the opening line. Your post has nothing to do with honesty. Have a nice day.
Oh, I'm sorry, are you a biologist who specializes in abiogensis? Do you even understand the first thing about biology? Do you understand anything - anything at all about biochemistry? Organic chemistry?

No, right? Doesn't your religion preach against lies and deception?

When you claim authority to speak on matters that you do not understand, have no training in whatsoever, you are being dishonest. There are no two ways about it.

Stop being dishonest.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129063 Oct 11, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't heard that since I was a kid.
You mean, as a child someone reamed you out for lying about your knowledge of science???

How strange!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129064 Oct 11, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I am! I am!
The third one is coming along nicely.
Honestly...don't grow another one. You're perfect with two legs and that large dangly thingy.

Just...put your pants back on.

:p

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129065 Oct 11, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Riiiiight.... Because the Bible is so full of gay this & gay that...
It's only mentioned a few times, it's not that big of a deal as you think.
That may be correct, but homophobia is huge in the American church nevertheless. That's evident in these threads.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
My bigotry of gays stems from the attitude of gays. They think that because they're gay, everyone needs to accept them & move on. That's the wrong attitute to have.
With due respect, I disagree that your homophobia is endogenous. I still believe that you are indoctrinated to feel that way. Your church scapegoats, demeans, dehumanizes and marginalizes gays like it does atheists. Why don't humanists agree with you? From "Affirmations of Humanism" at http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php... :

"We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance."

"We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity."

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#129066 Oct 11, 2012
preterism wrote:
Can you prove that a creator isn't needed ?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Not yet. Why would it matter if I could?
preterism wrote:
To know ther truth that you esgerly desire as we all do.
What if we proved that there WERE creators? Why would that matter? We still would know nothing about them or who they were, since they have never told us.

And we still wouldn't worship them, just experience gratitude, feelings I already cultivate for the universe and my inclusion in it.

Worshiping is demeaning.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#129067 Oct 11, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm sorry, are you a biologist who specializes in abiogensis? Do you even understand the first thing about biology?
What branch deals with Gooses which lays golden eggs? How bout making gold from lead? What about fountain of youth? The odds being better for any of these to happen than abiogenesis.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129068 Oct 11, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> What branch deals with Gooses which lays golden eggs? How bout making gold from lead? What about fountain of youth? The odds being better for any of these to happen than abiogenesis.
Only you could equate science to fairy tales.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129069 Oct 11, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle...the adaptive peak for "shoulder fired missile" is too high for mutation to reach in the spider environment. However, it has been reached in the plant environment (b/c plants, unlike spiders, are large and tough enough to build a system of pressure that can fire a missile).
In nature, animals that fire missiles to capture their prey include:
- frogs and some toads and a few other amphibians
- chameleons (and a few other lizards)
- some fish
- some mollusks
Spiders are pretty small and they have their own weapons that work quite well. Spiders are on an adaptive peak of their own - for them to get off of it, another system would have to be better than theirs. But missile systems involve a lot of mechanics. Evolution simply cannot produce that kind of change - it would involve giving up a functional system for one that doesn't quite work for a few thousand years (while evolution fine tunes it).
That said, large spiders in the tarantula family eject missile weapons as a defense mechanism when large predators try to eat them.
Some spiders throw bolas to capture prey.
Spiders are freaking cool, lol.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#129070 Oct 11, 2012
Just a friendly reminder to all who distain those who believe in God or affiliated with a religious faith. We that believe in God are protected under the United States Constitution. Religious freedom is the cornerstone of freedom.

Wiki:

There are over 450,000 churches in the United States according to Premier Tourism Marketing's website and a few others.

In the United States, freedom of religion is a constitutionally guaranteed right provided in the religion clauses of the First Amendment. Freedom of religion is also closely associated with separation of church and state, a concept advocated by Thomas Jefferson.

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-141, 107 Stat. 1488 (November 16, 1993), codified at 42 U.S.C. 2000bb through 42 U.S.C. 2000bb-4 (also known as RFRA), is a 1993 United States federal law aimed at preventing laws that substantially burden a person's free exercise of their religion. The bill was introduced by Howard McKeon of California and Dean Gallo of New Jersey on March 11, 1993.[1] It was held unconstitutional as applied to the states in the City of Boerne v. Flores decision in 1997, which ruled that the RFRA is not a proper exercise of Congress's enforcement power. But it continues to be applied to the federal government, for instance in Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, because Congress has broad authority to carve out exemptions from federal laws and regulations that it itself has authorized.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#129071 Oct 11, 2012
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
What if we proved that there WERE creators? Why would that matter? We still would know nothing about them or who they were, since they have never told us.
And we still wouldn't worship them, just experience gratitude, feelings I already cultivate for the universe and my inclusion in it.
Worshiping is demeaning.
The bible tells you everything you have asked for in your above comment. To worship the one that gave us life and life for eternity would be a small token to give to God for all that we have, and when we past over from this life which is so short to a life of eternity is to me worth being a Christian I urge all who haven't been baptized to go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God and enjoy a life of happiness and for eternity.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#129073 Oct 11, 2012
<quoted text>
That may be correct, but homophobia is huge in the American church nevertheless. That's evident in these threads.
<quoted text>
With due respect, I disagree that your homophobia is endogenous. I still believe that you are indoctrinated to feel that way. Your church scapegoats, demeans, dehumanizes and marginalizes gays like it does atheists. Why don't humanists agree with you? From "Affirmations of Humanism" at http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php... :
"We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance."
"We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity."
Are you indoctrinated to like gays?

Location hidden

#129074 Oct 11, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> What branch deals with Gooses which lays golden eggs? How bout making gold from lead? What about fountain of youth? The odds being better for any of these to happen than abiogenesis.
nah... The theory that something can come from nothing makes perfect sense!

no?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#129076 Oct 11, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Just a friendly reminder to all who distain those who believe in God or affiliated with a religious faith. We that believe in God are protected under the United States Constitution. Religious freedom is the cornerstone of freedom.
Wiki:
There are over 450,000 churches in the United States according to Premier Tourism Marketing's website and a few others.
In the United States, freedom of religion is a constitutionally guaranteed right provided in the religion clauses of the First Amendment. Freedom of religion is also closely associated with separation of church and state, a concept advocated by Thomas Jefferson.
The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-141, 107 Stat. 1488 (November 16, 1993), codified at 42 U.S.C. 2000bb through 42 U.S.C. 2000bb-4 (also known as RFRA), is a 1993 United States federal law aimed at preventing laws that substantially burden a person's free exercise of their religion. The bill was introduced by Howard McKeon of California and Dean Gallo of New Jersey on March 11, 1993.[1] It was held unconstitutional as applied to the states in the City of Boerne v. Flores decision in 1997, which ruled that the RFRA is not a proper exercise of Congress's enforcement power. But it continues to be applied to the federal government, for instance in Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal, because Congress has broad authority to carve out exemptions from federal laws and regulations that it itself has authorized.
I don't think many people actively disdain religious people, and I personally have no problem with a personal belief in god.

I do, however, take issue with those who make it their personal mission to spread their belief - a behavior that is highly encouraged in certain religions, christianity being one of them. And I am especially against those who try to impose the archaic notions of their religion on science and social policy. If someone wants to think that we are magical creations and that evolution is false, or if someone wants to think that gays shouldn't have equal rights, that's fine so long as they remain personal beliefs. They are stupid personal beliefs, but they are personal nonetheless. It's when people make it their mission to impose their beliefs on everyone else that it becomes a problem.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#129077 Oct 11, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> The bible tells you everything you have asked for in your above comment. To worship the one that gave us life and life for eternity would be a small token to give to God for all that we have, and when we past over from this life which is so short to a life of eternity is to me worth being a Christian I urge all who haven't been baptized to go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God and enjoy a life of happiness and for eternity.
You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Why would an all powerful creator require demeaning worship from it's creations? That sounds kind of petty.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#129078 Oct 11, 2012
<quoted text>Why don't humanists agree with you? From "Affirmations of Humanism" at http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php... :
.. we have strayed off the path that our forefathers paved. Consider these quotes:

John F. Kennedy, "...(I) do not accept instructions from the Pope or the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastic source, no religious body should seek to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace ......

Mitt Romney, "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom," explaining that freedom allows one to "commune with God ... and, Americans acknowledge that liberty is a gift of God."

.. this is the effect the Religious Right, a huge voting block, has had on politics ..

Location hidden

#129079 Oct 11, 2012
HL - Liberty IS a gift from God.
Funny that you quote Mitt. Why not Obama?
"McCane hasn't asked me about my Muslim religion"...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 32 min Thinking 22,103
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 2 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr Patrick 18
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr TheHeadlines 70
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 7 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••