Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#129017 Oct 10, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>So...(edited)...obivou s.

Finally! A song written for just you!

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#129018 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Tide.
Got time?

Check out the cutey in this vid.

I'm talking about the girl, by the way.

Location hidden

#129019 Oct 10, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
Somebody should be embarrassed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fdnWwlZCsSwXX
In Jesus name....

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#129020 Oct 10, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>NO really? What was the context of that post? If you are referring to the one by me then it should be easy to figure out, for at the end of the comment that I made about "god" and storms, I said that god must be afraid of storms.
Way to pay attention.
Nope, I don't think that was it at all. In fact I don't remember that one, I may have missed it, but topix has not been on my to do list very much lately. Too much real world to deal with.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#129021 Oct 10, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Can you prove that a creator isn't needed ? You think with the knowledge and wisdom you have as a human being but you cannot create anything you see or don't see. Your wisdom is limited to what you see and don't see as God's wisdom and knowledge is beyond our ability to think as he does and that's exactly what he tells us in Isaiah 55: 8-11
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Cut it out.

“shirley you cant be serious ”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#129022 Oct 10, 2012
When Science is confronted by the inexplicable, it is telling that it never resorts to the existence of a God to explain what it cannot - tacitly Science knows that God is not a creditable explanation for anything .... to God science says no .

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#129023 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
In Jesus name....
Yay it is youtube day.
&fe ature=related

Earth,TX

#129024 Oct 10, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays will be in Hell after their death. That's an important thing to remember.
I'm not tolerant of them , as you might can tell. Neither is God.
He forgives them if they repent, but He will throw them into Hell if they just keep on doing what they are doing.
Then he shouldn't have made them gay, should he?
And he shouldn't have made you a sinner?
And he shouldn't have made Jesus a bastard?
Let's throw him in hell!

Earth,TX

#129025 Oct 10, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Judge not lest yee be judged.
<quoted text>
The judging is the only way to make them, know their god is real, well except for the lying. By lying they try to prove the bible gods words, "all men are liars" as truth.
By doing the judging themselves, they give life to the god who does longer animate.

Earth,TX

#129026 Oct 10, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Just let him know that there is no such thing as hell not even in the Bible.
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/GatesOfHell.ht...
"As we can see, after 350 years of saying Jonah was in "hell," the New King James finally admitted he wasn't there after all. He was in Sheol, like everyone else who has died. Many people have come out of the grave. The Bible is full of examples"
It is a bit of TLDR.
Are you suggesting, that something as novel as using the truth, could actually work here?

Earth,TX

#129027 Oct 11, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I agree but civilised behaviour has its dictates. There are extremes out there, perverts and religious nuts who get either sexually aroused or drop to there knees and pray. You can encounter both on these very pages.
Last week I watched a repeat of a program My Breast and I with Jenny Frost. She concluded the documentary in New York where public nudity is not illegal. The complains by christians and the goggle eyes of the gawkers said it all.
I haven't seen that one, I will have to check it out. How sad that.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#129029 Oct 11, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Are you suggesting, that something as novel as using the truth, could actually work here?
I figured that if it was kept close to their version of "truth" then it may help.
Baby steps.

Chicago, IL

#129030 Oct 11, 2012
Sad isn't it?
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>The judging is the only way to make them, know their god is real, well except for the lying. By lying they try to prove the bible gods words, "all men are liars" as truth.
By doing the judging themselves, they give life to the god who does longer animate.

Chicago, IL

#129031 Oct 11, 2012
There is no need to explain yourself to the pointless troll. If a guest came uninvited barging unwanted into your house and put their dirty feet on your couch you would have no need to explain why you are out of Dr. Pepper or other carbonated beverage.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's worth putting this conversation in context. Before you act all hurt here, you were attacking atheists, claiming all kinds of things about us - based on the one, unifying label "atheist."
So...how do you expect me to respond? You want me to say "oh, gosh, yeah, we're all thoughtless scum who aren't creative because we don't believe in an all powerful stalker."
If you're going to spoon it out...you know the rest.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#129032 Oct 11, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Abiogenesis is anti science....
This is a classic. What on earth makes you think you are remotely qualified to say what is and is not science?
He who has no faith

Sweden

#129033 Oct 11, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are right, mooze. Not much at all was really said. But I do have some thoughts on the subject.
Those who value science are people who have faith in verifiable data and observed results of experiments. Religion is something they judge on their own, regardless of what they were taught.
Those who value faith above science are people who have faith in parents, teachers and other authority figures who taught them their religion.
There are high and low IQs in both groups, though there is a greater tendency towards high IQs in the science related group.
The core value for each is faith: faith in data & observation; or faith in some trusted members of society.
If your using "faith" as equaling "confidence" fine use the word, but if your are using the word as a replacement for "belief" then you don't understand the scientific method nor rational thinking. if the "method" fails it is modified or abandoned, this doesn't happen with religions

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#129034 Oct 11, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a classic. What on earth makes you think you are remotely qualified to say what is and is not science?
Well, to be honest, LB has a magical book and feelings. Feelings that have confirmed to him, beyond his ability to reason otherwise, that he, he and his fellow believers, have found the one true god. Yes. The One True God. Not the other one. Not that fake one over there. But the actual uniquely one true god.

And so Lightbeamer is qualified to stretch the truth a little - well, let's be honest here - misrepresent the boundaries of his knowledge and understandings of science and just make blanket proclamations entirely lacking in evidence, against 200 years of hard working scientists doing their best to expand the boundaries of knowledge, many of whom have struggled their entire lives to understand a small part of the universe.

No, no, I think it's fair to say that Lightbeamer understands the universe better than the best physicists in the world, grasps biological science more strongly than all biological scientists in the world and really gets people more than any social scientist could, all because of his profoundly strong, subjectively experienced and encultured "knowledge" of the one true god.

And that's why, across the nation, all universities and research centers are closing down. Why bother developing new drugs when Lightbeamer can just tell us how to? Why bother combating pathogens like malaria with evolutionary science when Lightbeamer "knows" it's malarkey? What's the point in studying star formation when Lightbeamer knows how that works?

God. God. God. The one, true god. Not like the other one. Nor the one over there. Not like the God in the Bible who kills people, or those silly pagans across Asia. Nope. The God of Lightbeamer.

(did you notice I jarringly stuck the word "malarkey" in there??? weeeeeeeeeee!)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#129035 Oct 11, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No no ,abiogenesis today has a completely different meaning than it did in 1688.
It is lightbeamrider that is anti science.
Glad we cleared that up and hagd :)
Tell it to Webster. Go to Oxford dictionary on line and look it up. I quoted the source Einstein. Yet you blame me for using a Webster definition. Self created universe is anti logic. Things do not create themselves. Abiogenesis is garbage delivered in science sounding words. In other words, it is sh#t wrapped in a fancy gift box. You have no real explanation which makes sense if one cuts through all the crap and takes a good look at what is really being said.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#129036 Oct 11, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle...the adaptive peak for "shoulder fired missile" is too high for mutation to reach in the spider environment. However, it has been reached in the plant environment (b/c plants, unlike spiders, are large and tough enough to build a system of pressure that can fire a missile).

In nature, animals that fire missiles to capture their prey include:

- frogs and some toads and a few other amphibians
- chameleons (and a few other lizards)
- some fish
- some mollusks

Spiders are pretty small and they have their own weapons that work quite well. Spiders are on an adaptive peak of their own - for them to get off of it, another system would have to be better than theirs. But missile systems involve a lot of mechanics. Evolution simply cannot produce that kind of change - it would involve giving up a functional system for one that doesn't quite work for a few thousand years (while evolution fine tunes it).

That said, large spiders in the tarantula family eject missile weapons as a defense mechanism when large predators try to eat them.

Some spiders throw bolas to capture prey.
I can throw a pretty mean boomerang.

I make my own, too.

But I don't have 8 legs.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#129037 Oct 11, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>This is what you said:

"That from a guy that puts all theists on trial and condemns them and their morality according to his. You paint theists as animals, uneducated and dumb. What next if you had the power? Kill them?"

So I challenged you to back up your accusation; to show us where I condemned all theists and their morality, and painted them as animals, uneducated and dumb.

That was on Monday.

You are a coward, Dave Nelson.

A gutless coward.
You questioned their beliefs.

That makes them realize that their beliefs make them dumb and uneducated.

Therefore, questioning their beliefs is telling them they are dumb and uneducated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 22 min NightSerf 725
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Patrick 1,024
Is Religion Childish? 2 hr nOgOd 4
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Eman 22,934
Heaven 5 hr Patrick 7
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Patrick 5,938
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 hr Jaimie 154

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE