Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#128960 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And hamburgers! Yum!
Get over here and get yer hugs.

Yup. You've earned 'em.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#128961 Oct 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
I have a big toe.
I never said that was an issue, did I?
Aerobatty wrote:
Two, in fact.
As we all do. I never disputed that you did, also, the number of "big toes" was never in question.
Aerobatty wrote:
Ergo, I'm a bigtoed atheist.
Your "big toeism" is a separate issue from atheism, or being atheist. I have no doubt there is an atheist somewhere without a big toe, at all. Not even one big toe.
Aerobatty wrote:
And I'm on this thread.
Well, yeah, but this isn't the bigtoed atheist thread, which, is the issue at hand....erm afoot, as it were.
Aerobatty wrote:
Sometimes I think you're just being argumentative, scar.
I wouldn't say that.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128962 Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer wrote:
<quoted text>I do have some eye of newt, my three little witches gave me some- Pelosi Boxer and Hilary.
But they do not have the power of cheese.:)

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#128963 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?
You are using the wrong application for the word “coward,” my friend.
Misapplying words in a sentence shows a poor understanding and use of the language.
"The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?" - In some cases, absolutely.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#128964 Oct 10, 2012
Click on the link below and you will see a spider attacking a wasp. Both were captured in amber. Scientist believe this attack happened 100 million years ago.

What is interesting that spiders looked and behave the same way as they did millions of years ago. Not much has changed in 100 million years.

I could support evolution if spiders had evolved to the point of using shoulder fired missiles that would lock on to their target and knock them out of the sky. But spiders still use the ole build a trap method. This doesn’t say much for evolution.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/anci...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#128965 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
In this specific context, Dave claimed Catcher did a thing and then refused to back it up. It was insulting to Catcher, a falsehood, and Catcher was correct in calling Dave on it.
You're totally correct in that Dave isn't afraid to speak his mind about his strange and delusional understanding of the universe. He does seem adverse to actually reading about how the universe works, though.
Ah, sweetness.

Catcher is a poseur, has alleged many things without backing them up, and Dave doesn't fall for the badger game. He knows I was right, whatever I said.

Your reality is what you read. Which is why you believe anything you read. My reality is observing and thinking. And being quite discerning in what I do read, which, BTW, started long before you were born.

Your tag line says a lot about your motivations for being on here.

Location hidden

#128966 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, sweetness.
Catcher is a poseur, has alleged many things without backing them up, and Dave doesn't fall for the badger game. He knows I was right, whatever I said.
Your reality is what you read. Which is why you believe anything you read. My reality is observing and thinking. And being quite discerning in what I do read, which, BTW, started long before you were born.
Your tag line says a lot about your motivations for being on here.
You're a clown.

Since: Mar 11

Florence, KY

#128967 Oct 10, 2012
And if we are going to talk about being responsible for producing media that could spark violence or encourage killings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

If these are ok, Why are these ok but the triffle spoof youtube video bad?

Actually if you watch the entire spoof video you see they are talking about the prophet of violent radicals and the spoof is on the twisted way THEY see the prophet. Moderate Muslims should understand this and agree that radicals misuse the prophet.

Location hidden

#128968 Oct 10, 2012
Where's OYE?

Truly great Christians are so few and far apart.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#128969 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
But spiders still use the ole build a trap method. This doesn’t say much for evolution.
On the contrary, it says a great deal for evolution, since evolution says that variation is selected for by the environment. If the spider's environment doesn't change much, then the spider population isn't going to change much, either.

“God=Registered Sex Offender!”

Since: Jul 12

Wylie, TX

#128970 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
Where's OYE?
Truly great Christians are so few and far apart.
Other than Jesus Christ, I'm the best of 'em all. I detest heresy from Cathylicks, Mormons and Jeehovy Witnesses. I'm America's Best Christian. Praise!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#128971 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that you have been caught in a few slip ups.
You done it again, Eagle.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#128972 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a clown.
Get your eyes checked. I'm a chimp.

Long Beach, CA

#128973 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
In this specific context, Dave claimed Catcher did a thing and then refused to back it up. It was insulting to Catcher, a falsehood, and Catcher was correct in calling Dave on it.
You're totally correct in that Dave isn't afraid to speak his mind about his strange and delusional understanding of the universe. He does seem adverse to actually reading about how the universe works, though.
Thank you.

I'm hoping Dave will reevaluate.

But I'm not holding my breath.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128974 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
Get over here and get yer hugs.
Yup. You've earned 'em.
<hug, hug, hug>

Hello SA!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128975 Oct 10, 2012
AmericasBestChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than Jesus Christ, I'm the best of 'em all. I detest heresy from Cathylicks, Mormons and Jeehovy Witnesses. I'm America's Best Christian. Praise!
Oh a wise guy aye?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128976 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Click on the link below and you will see a spider attacking a wasp. Both were captured in amber. Scientist believe this attack happened 100 million years ago.
What is interesting that spiders looked and behave the same way as they did millions of years ago. Not much has changed in 100 million years.
I could support evolution if spiders had evolved to the point of using shoulder fired missiles that would lock on to their target and knock them out of the sky. But spiders still use the ole build a trap method. This doesn’t say much for evolution.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/anci...
Eagle...the adaptive peak for "shoulder fired missile" is too high for mutation to reach in the spider environment. However, it has been reached in the plant environment (b/c plants, unlike spiders, are large and tough enough to build a system of pressure that can fire a missile).

In nature, animals that fire missiles to capture their prey include:

- frogs and some toads and a few other amphibians
- chameleons (and a few other lizards)
- some fish
- some mollusks

Spiders are pretty small and they have their own weapons that work quite well. Spiders are on an adaptive peak of their own - for them to get off of it, another system would have to be better than theirs. But missile systems involve a lot of mechanics. Evolution simply cannot produce that kind of change - it would involve giving up a functional system for one that doesn't quite work for a few thousand years (while evolution fine tunes it).

That said, large spiders in the tarantula family eject missile weapons as a defense mechanism when large predators try to eat them.

Some spiders throw bolas to capture prey.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128977 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
I'm hoping Dave will reevaluate.
But I'm not holding my breath.
Dave has already forgotten what he said. He therefore said it off the cuff and didn't hold that opinion dear. He was just being the cranky old man he is.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#128978 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I really could care less about minor errors in grammar here on topix.
Now that you have been caught in a few slip ups. How about you refrain from being a self conceited as*hole.
He can't stop. He'd implode from all the negative energy if he had to put a muzzle on his arrogance.

Long Beach, CA

#128979 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

This is what you said:

"That from a guy that puts all theists on trial and condemns them and their morality according to his. You paint theists as animals, uneducated and dumb. What next if you had the power? Kill them?"

So I challenged you to back up your accusation; to show us where I condemned all theists and their morality, and painted them as animals, uneducated and dumb.

That was on Monday.

You are a coward, Dave Nelson.

A gutless coward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 57 min Eagle 12 2,287
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 2 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 9 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 22 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web