Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#128884 Oct 10, 2012
Some videos relating to the doctor.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread888...

One of the comments.

"I am a neuroradiologist, in the Boston area, and my wife is a Harvard doctor as well.

Let's just say the brain is a very not well understood fuzzy computing device that

is a combination of neurotransmitters, astroglial stromal elements, a complex vascular system,

a complex neural net computer that emits an electromagnetic field, that probably stores memory holographically.

And that's the simple view. This neurosurgeon's neocortex may have shut down enough to activate

the papez circuit, a reptilian brain if you will, that controls our emotions.

We cant really image function with MRI, but I bet he's referring

to EEG tracings - which probably showed lack of alpha wave activity and other signs of deep unconsciousness.

This is an old controversy in medicine : the out of body experience.

I for one believe in it for a multitude of reasons. I even think the American indians were onto

something with shamanistic rituals and their attempts to enter the spirit world through trances.

After all, a coma is a form of a trance. Many times I wonder if all the distractional inputs were

removed, aka sensory deprevational states, would we tune into the netherworld more easily?

Ahhh, the big questions. Im stuck looking at awful strokes, hemorrhages, aneurysms, and tumors

all day. The really cool stuff would be pursuing the dream world, like in Dr. Haber's lab, in the Lathe of Heaven...."

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128886 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, baby, it's all fact. They're bones, btw - not mineralized fossils. We can even measure their DNA.
Why do you argue with me? You haven't got a clue what you're talking about whereas I'm an professional in the field...
Here:
"Abstract
Temporal trends in postcranial robusticity within the genus Homo are explored by comparing cross-sectional diaphyseal and articular properties of the femur, and to a more limited extent, the humerus, in samples of Recent and earlier Homo. Using both theoretical mechanical models and empirical observations within Recent humans, scaling relationships between structural properties and bone length are developed. The influence of body shape on these relationships is considered. These scaling factors are then used to standardize structural properties for comparisons with pre-Recent Homo (Homo sp. and H. erectus, archaic H. sapiens, and early modern H. sapiens). Results of the comparisons lead to the following conclusions: 1) There has been a consistent, exponentially increasing decline in diaphyseal robusticity within Homo that has continued from the early Pleistocene through living humans. Early modern H. sapiens are closer in shaft robusticity to archaic H. sapiens than they are to Recent humans. The increase in diaphyseal robusticity in earlier Homo is a result of both medullary contraction and periosteal expansion relative to Recent humans. 2) There has been no similar temporal decline in articular robusticity within Homo–relative femoral head size is similar in all groups and time periods. Thus, articular to shaft proportions are different in pre-Recent and Recent Homo. 3) These findings are most consistent with a mechanical explanation (declining mechanical loading of the postcranium), that acted primarily through developmental rather than genetic means. The environmental (behavioral) factors that brought about the decline in postcranial robusticity in Homo are ultimately linked to increases in brain size and cultural-technological advances, although changes in robusticity lag behind changes in cognitive capabilities.© 1993 Wiley-Liss, Inc."
Do you understand what they're saying? Humans have been getting weaker since about 30 000 years ago - and this accelerated at 12 000 years ago. Any guesses as to why we got weaker?
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/22762...
So... Humans have been getting weaker for 30,000 years? And accelerated 12,000 years ago? Why would one assume that?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128887 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you've noticed, but you and I haven't only been talking about God here - but also homosexual behavior, evolution, planetary formation, paleoanthropology. Unlike me, you know almost nothing. I'm guessing it was your religion that did that to you.
More assumptions? For your information, I haven't had a college education because I can't afford it.

But thanks for throwing that in my face, I appreciate it.

"Unlike me, you know almost nothing." eh? You seem to know a lot about ONE thing, bullshit.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128888 Oct 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe that. I believe that you were made to think that way. And unlike racial bigotry, which roots are in the xenophobia that nature programmed into us - it's best for ducks, for example, to feel at ease only with other ducks, and to fear nonducks like foxes - there is only one source of homophobia: theism.
Every anti-gay bigot learned that hate from the Bible or the Qur'an, or from somebody who learned it there. Cultures lacking this teaching still fear neighboring tribes, but don't hate their gay brothers and sisters.
Riiiiight.... Because the Bible is so full of gay this & gay that...

It's only mentioned a few times, it's not that big of a deal as you think.

My bigotry of gays stems from the attitude of gays. They think that because they're gay, everyone needs to accept them & move on. That's the wrong attitute to have.

Location hidden

#128889 Oct 10, 2012
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread888...

The first video is one of the doctor. After it plays you will see some more. View Don Piper's.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#128890 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiight.... Because the Bible is so full of gay this & gay that...
It's only mentioned a few times, it's not that big of a deal as you think.
My bigotry of gays stems from the attitude of gays. They think that because they're gay, everyone needs to accept them & move on. That's the wrong attitute to have.
.. rejection is the opposite of acceptance. You dislike gays and reject them as productive members of society ..

.. you dare speak of attitude? You, the misogynistic male who thinks all women are dumb - created to fetch you a beer, share your bed and wash your dishes ??..

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128891 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was a robot that flatlined, you would say it was dead. Since it is a human, you make up reasons for the experience. Humans are glorified machines.
It is one of those things you will just have to wait for and find out for sure. Or not, if its a NDE.
There is a critical distinction that has to be made between biological and mechanical things. A mechanical machine can have the total sum of its parts replaced , or any number of parts replaced and function exactly as intended and be exactly like new.

A biological machine is limited in replacement parts , not all parts can be replaced and if any major parts that are replaceable, are indeed replaced. The biological unit will not function as new but at a deficit. We call it handicapped.
I'm sure you know what I mean.

Location hidden

#128893 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More assumptions? For your information, I haven't had a college education because I can't afford it.
But thanks for throwing that in my face, I appreciate it.
"Unlike me, you know almost nothing." eh? You seem to know a lot about ONE thing, bullshit.
Actually she knows a great deal about evolution, biology and anthropology as well as paleontology.
Expand that to sociology and related fields but does have an advanced understanding of science as well as many other things.
She doesn't rub that in your face , but does try to share some of it with you. You would do well to simply listen, this i the part where you nod your head yes, then do so afterwards :)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#128895 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you will buy a book by someone in physics or cosmology with a theory dealing with things they can't see or directly measure, and you accept it as the total truth.
Nope.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#128900 Oct 10, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Not yet.
Why would it matter if I could?
To know ther truth that you esgerly desire as we all do.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#128902 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>That is called a barycenter, the point where all mass of the galaxy orbits. Where it all balances out. Like two bodies on a seesaw, but rotary. It is also the point other galaxies balance with in relation to the Milky Way. It will shift a bit. Like an uneven wheel. Kind of a focal point and gateway to the rest of the universal mass and overall balance. The gas clouds will head to it.
That is called a super massive black hole.

That can be determined by the orbiting stars around it and the apparent size of the object.

It can only be a super massive black hole.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128903 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Again you attribute false quotes to me. I said it was the balance point of the mass in the galaxy. You have issues with your understanding or you are dishonest.

Look up barycenter.
Look up super massive black hole.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128904 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately , the center of the galaxy cant be explained as only the barycenter of all other mass.

But lQQky here what I found. I wonder what people will say about this?

Here are your own words.......

""""The barycenter of the earth/sun lies almost dead center of the sun. That would make the biomass of humanity, which by the way is now the largest biomass on the planet, just about dead center. The barycenter is the point of overlapping gravity and the common point objects orbit about. The entire universe is tied together.

Theoretically, as gravity is considered a universal force, your moving an arm will move its barycenter within the sun, or vice versa. Or even with Alpha Centauri.""" "

I can identify some of this concept , but its shewed in Dave fashion for sure.

http://www.leedskalnin.com/DaveNelson-3.html
Wow.

Dave is published.

On the Internet!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128905 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
The oscillations of a pendulum create time. The motion counteracts gravity. That pendulum oscillates until gravity finally overcomes the momentum of motion, then it lines up with the most density of matter in a straight line, which appears to be through the center of the earth, but is actually the diameter. Over a period of time that pendulum should point to the sun, then the next largest density, and so on until it points to the singularity we burst upon the scene from.

http://www.leedskalnin.com/DaveNelson-3.html

Bubble bursting insight into Daveology ha ha hah!
Another glorious fart bubble from Dave.

Location hidden

#128906 Oct 10, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, you would lie aobut it in any case. Obviously, you measure your lack based on her slightly having less lack. In most cases it gets rubbed in her face. I bet you have never asked her for links, or research any of her nonsense. If your intent was to learn, then Buck and Dave would have reached you long ago, like they did her, and caused her to build her cocoon.
This is where you cry, whine, and pout and ask for help, and hope you have not embarassed yourself too much.:)
Buck is ideologically driven though very intelligent superstition sways his
compass , leaving him in a quagmire of philosophical bull crap.
Hfy is scientifically driven to find methodically the answer to
problems beyond your scope of comprehension. Actually this is beyond the scope of anyone who presents a case from a theological position which , point in case so happens to be philosophically and ideologically driven agendas.

The technologically and scientifically driven minds are more in alignment with logically driven understanding , and not corrupted by agenda driven preferences like so many theist thinking minds are. In fact I embarrass myself often enough but do not make the mistake of the theist , and not acknowledge that in fact are flawed and human with these frailties.

All in all points considered Buck as well as Dave are both your superior, but fall short due to the limitation's they impose on themselves. That means you are in the dust of Dave. Tell us now how that feels?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128907 Oct 10, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Just because he does not share your skewed and misappropriated view of evolution, does not mean that he does not understand it. Consensus to agree with you, does not equate to understanding and neither does consensus to a common idea. For instance, you think that lab breeding is evolution and it is not, and neither is dropping a bomb on millions and changing the makeup of that country, nor invading a country and exterminating them, because you can.

The problem with evolution even in a theoretical soup, is that much of it is not natural, even in observation. You can not obvserve the nature of a lion, while you have it caged. It is like observing gays who died of AIDS, and then promoting that as a study of gays. Oh yeah, they did that, despite the fact that normal peopleknow that AIDS is not innate or natural, even for gays. Based, on your theory with gays accounting for upwards of 80% of all AIDS cases, that would have to be evolution and the 53% suicides being gays would also have to be evolution.

Care to recant.
Are you serious?!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128908 Oct 10, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, you would lie aobut it in any case. Obviously, you measure your lack based on her slightly having less lack. In most cases it gets rubbed in her face. I bet you have never asked her for links, or research any of her nonsense. If your intent was to learn, then Buck and Dave would have reached you long ago, like they did her, and caused her to build her cocoon.

This is where you cry, whine, and pout and ask for help, and hope you have not embarassed yourself too much.:)
I'm simply amazed that somebody as daft as you can even function in modern society.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#128909 Oct 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious?!
He's not even coherent.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128910 Oct 10, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>You really are a joke, and only the midgetbots in your lil group, can't see it. Why exactly would you tell us that you are a professional, so as to try to give yourself credibility? Why? Why, then spend the rest of the post with a copuy/paste of some other professionals opinion, which is not yours. If you could understand it, then you would provide the link, but explain it in your own words. I mean, you being a professional in the field and all of that stuff, you know!
She's done that, ad infinitum, to morons like you to no avail.

Why she still even wastes time on idiots like you is beyond me.

Hopefully, somebody with half a brain reads her.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128912 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Buck is ideologically driven though very intelligent superstition sways his
compass , leaving him in a quagmire of philosophical bull crap.
Hfy is scientifically driven to find methodically the answer to
problems beyond your scope of comprehension. Actually this is beyond the scope of anyone who presents a case from a theological position which , point in case so happens to be philosophically and ideologically driven agendas.

The technologically and scientifically driven minds are more in alignment with logically driven understanding , and not corrupted by agenda driven preferences like so many theist thinking minds are. In fact I embarrass myself often enough but do not make the mistake of the theist , and not acknowledge that in fact are flawed and human with these frailties.

All in all points considered Buck as well as Dave are both your superior, but fall short due to the limitation's they impose on themselves. That means you are in the dust of Dave. Tell us now how that feels?
That's embarrassing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 42 min thetruth 86
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 46 min thetruth 40
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 52 min thetruth 3
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr serfs up 2,617
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 4 hr thetruth 10
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 4 hr thetruth 21
Evidence for God! 4 hr thetruth 371
More from around the web