Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#128933 Oct 10, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is a lie!
Nuh uh.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128934 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know if you've noticed, but you and I haven't only been talking about God here - but also homosexual behavior, evolution, planetary formation, paleoanthropology. Unlike me, you know almost nothing. I'm guessing it was your religion that did that to you.

It told you "God did it" is an acceptable answer to all life's mysteries, so you just turned your brain off.

Unlike you, atheists are full of creativity. We aren't afraid to explore reality like you people - you're utterly closed minded. You actually believe in intellectual laziness as some kind of virtue!

Your answer to everything is "God did it." That's a worthless, stupid answer - it actually hurts people. Imagine if the discoverers of insulin stopped and said "gosh this is hard, let's just say 'God did it'" - imagine if any physicist or medical researcher did that! We wouldn't have power lines, antibiotics, antivirals - anything.

God did it is not an answer. Willful ignorance is abject idiocy - and it's ruining your great nation.
Well said.

And very true.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128935 Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer wrote:
May I join in
Did you bring the pizzas?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#128936 Oct 10, 2012
preterism wrote:
You spend your whole life thinking there's no God instead of studying to see if there is a God. You say when you die that you simply cease to exsist and that's the end of awareness of life as you knew when alive. Death isn't a on and off switch as some desire to believe for various reasons. You have a soul which lives forever, where depends on you. You were given life to choose from a life with God or without, that's your two and only choices.
No.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128937 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
The greatest minds in science, the ones that started modern science, did so under very strong Christian influences.

Even Charles Darwin.

Some had questions about the religion, and had their own views, but most all stayed deist. Darwin at the most became agnostic in his latest years.

"In November 1878 when George Romanes presented his new book refuting theism, A Candid Examination of Theism by "Physicus", Darwin read it with "very great interest", but was unconvinced, pointing out that its arguments did not rule out God creating matter and energy at the beginning of the universe, with a propensity to evolve. If theism were true, "reason might not be the only instrument for ascertaining its truth"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_...

The seventeenth century was not that far advanced over the Iron Age. Within a few hundred years, in a Christian civilization, look how far we have advanced.

The Egyptions, Sumerians, Greek, Roman, Hindus, Taoists, Buddhists, and atheists had more time and the same opportunity to advance. They didn't.

Please can the bullshit about Christianity inhibiting science. Atheists are now trying to hijack the accomplishments it made possible.
All you need do is look at the theists here who refuse to accept evolution.

That is proof positive of Christianity inhibiting science.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#128938 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have much to learn.
But interest is important, and you are acquiring it!
Tell you what though: I'll start slipping in some grammatical errors and you have to attempt to find them. How's that?
I really could care less about minor errors in grammar here on topix.

Now that you have been caught in a few slip ups. How about you refrain from being a self conceited as*hole.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128939 Oct 10, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You must have me confused with a theist.

Another "bigtoed" atheist thread?

I wasn't aware there was a "bigtoed" atheist thread at all.

What is this "bigtoed" atheist thread you speak of?
I have a big toe.

Two, in fact.

Ergo, I'm a bigtoed atheist.

And I'm on this thread.

Sometimes I think you're just being argumentative, scar.

Southern Illinois

#128941 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
micro+miCro+MiCro+MICro+MICro+ MICRO=macro
Macaroni and Cheese!!!!

Now that I do believe in.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128942 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?

Does that benefit you? No, it benefits those that can exploit you by your believing it.
How do WE get exploited by that?

I know how religion exploits the gullible.

Is this you, Dave?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128943 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So... Humans have been getting weaker for 30,000 years? And accelerated 12,000 years ago? Why would one assume that?
No one assumes that, RR. No one said "Hey, let's assume people have been getting X." You know where people assume? In intelligence. The media is always claiming that science claims people are getting smarter - whereas human brain size actually decreased by 50cc in the past 12000 years. Are we smarter? I don't know. Maybe. If so, that means we're more efficient in brain processessing, since we use less material, on average.

The evidence clearly shows that humans are weaker now. I have some good guesses, but since you often just tell me how science works, I thought I'd ask you why.

:)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128944 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Be careful not to get sssssunburned, ssssilly man.
Rofl!

You're too much, Dave.

Too much what, I don't know.

But whatever it is, you're too much of it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128945 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Am I supposed to care what you think?
Yes.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128946 Oct 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
All you need do is look at the theists here who refuse to accept evolution.
That is proof positive of Christianity inhibiting science.
Evolution as you preach it.

Even Darwin left it open to being a method used by God.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128947 Oct 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Solly. I'm Asian. I have touble with R's. I meant poker.
Liquor up front.

Poker in the rear.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128948 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Is a "poke" game sort of like "spin the bottle"?
Yes.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128949 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More assumptions? For your information, I haven't had a college education because I can't afford it.
But thanks for throwing that in my face, I appreciate it.
"Unlike me, you know almost nothing." eh? You seem to know a lot about ONE thing, bullshit.
I should append that - "know almost nothing about how science works." I'm sure you know lots about your specific job.

RR, there's intelligence and there's knowledge. For me, you come across as a pretty smart guy. You're witty and you put two and two together quickly. There's no shame in not knowing something - all of us are ignorant about most things. What pisses me off is when people lie about that and make authoritative statements, based on their religious beliefs, about topics they have no knowledge of.

When someone writes "evolution has no proof!" or "macro evolution is false" or "evolution is a fringe theory" they're really saying "I don't understand biological science, I've been told by my religious leaders that evolution is false, and I'm here to declare that!"

So I hope you'll pardon me, but I have teeth. If someone is going to dishonestly tell me how something works when they have no knowledge of that something, and their only "qualification" for making a dishonest statement is their religion, I'm going to come down hard on them.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#128950 Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer wrote:
Obama/Biden 2012
Rocky/Mr. T 1982

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128951 Oct 10, 2012
preterism wrote:
Please explain how life came to be.
No.

Southern Illinois

#128952 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.
The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?

You are using the wrong application for the word “coward,” my friend.

Misapplying words in a sentence shows a poor understanding and use of the language.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128953 Oct 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What is wrong with you? Why are you so preoccupied with gay people?
He are one.

Shhhhh....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 22 min fadu singh 9,247
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min One way or another 17,979
News Confessions of a black atheist 50 min Thinking 17
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 56 min Patrick n Angela 6,422
News The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr Thinking 1,120
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 15 hr DebraE 14,498
News In the Search for an Alternative to God, One Ra... (Mar '11) 20 hr Patrick n Angela 692
More from around the web