Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,216)

Showing posts 124,301 - 124,320 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful not to get sssssunburned, ssssilly man.
You've failed to convince anyone that your god is real. Go back to your cult and concoct some more lies about atheists and science and see if those stick.

Hint: They won't because you are a proven liar lying about a god that isn't real.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You've failed to convince anyone that your god is real. Go back to your cult and concoct some more lies about atheists and science and see if those stick.
Hint: They won't because you are a proven liar lying about a god that isn't real.
Ssssilly Sssskeptic.

You will never ssssee anything but yourssself unlesssss you take your head out of your asssss.

“Go ahead.”

Since: Mar 11

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
How much Rum do you have?
I'll teach this time.
Never enough.

Teach away!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Would you consider creation to be a supernatural event?
If it takes a god, absolutely.

Totally supernatural.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?
Does that benefit you? No, it benefits those that can exploit you by your believing it.
This is YOUR time in the sun.
The serpent in the Garden told Eve she would surely not die if she knew the "truth". She was a construct, a physical being vulnerable to other physical things. She and Adam lost faith in that which created them to protect and maintain them. Fear of death was introduced to mankind.
The serpent is whispering in your ear again with this "knowledge" that you are just a piece of stellar shit.
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

I'm not much up on the Bible text. Never read it all the way through, much less remember chapter and verse. Just some general things I remember and look up on Google.

Need some of these atheist expert on the Bible to point me out to some verses.

Where does Jesus say you will be just sitting around like good little sheep singing hosannas? Having no life and future experiences, or even free will of a sort, so to speak? I don't think there is really anything like that in there attributable to him. Just something like you will have eternal life. God kind of sets you loose, but in better shape. But I could be wrong.

Now, what does "science" based atheism tell you? They know the "truth" and what is best for you. Listen to them, and obey, they say.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.
Am I supposed to care what you think?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I supposed to care what you think?
Considering that you're in the atheist forum trying to lie to atheists, and failing miserably, ummm yes?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
I'm not much up on the Bible text. Never read it all the way through, much less remember chapter and verse. Just some general things I remember and look up on Google.
Need some of these atheist expert on the Bible to point me out to some verses.
Where does Jesus say you will be just sitting around like good little sheep singing hosannas? Having no life and future experiences, or even free will of a sort, so to speak? I don't think there is really anything like that in there attributable to him. Just something like you will have eternal life. God kind of sets you loose, but in better shape. But I could be wrong.
Now, what does "science" based atheism tell you? They know the "truth" and what is best for you. Listen to them, and obey, they say.
Evidence or f*ck off it's been that simple since the dawn of time itself.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

moki wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some Schnapps at home. What's yr fave drink River?
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Water
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Hehehehe

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence or f*ck off it's been that simple since the dawn of time itself.
Evidence for a "truth", eh?

Here's a truth.

One or both of your parents carried some defective genes.

The evidence?

You.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Why Bible scholars lose their faith:

"Bart Ehrman: First, I lost my fundamentalist faith because of my scholarship. Like Bill Dever, I have a fundamentalist background. I had a very high view of Scripture as the inerrant word of God, no mistakes of any kindógeographical or historical. No contradictions. Inviolate. My scholarship early on as a graduate student showed me that in fact these views about the Bible were wrong. I started finding contradictions and finding other discrepancies and started finding problems with the Bible. What that ended up doing for me was showing me that the basis of my faith, which at that time was the Bible, was problematic. So I shifted from being an evangelical Christian to becoming a fairly mainline liberal Protestant Christian.
What ended up making me lose my faith was kind of related to scholarship: When I was at Rutgers University, I taught a course on the problem of suffering in Biblical traditions, where I dealt with issues of theodicy throughout different Biblical books, both Hebrew Bible and the New Testamentó

Shanks: What is theodicy?

Ehrman: Theodicy is the question of how God can be righteous, given the amount of suffering in the world. The issue as itís usually put today is that if God is all-powerful and is able to prevent suffering, and is all-loving so that he wants to prevent suffering, why is there suffering? This problem isnít ever expressed that way in the Bible, but Biblical authors do deal with the problem by asking: Why does the people of God suffer? In teaching this course, the thing that struck me is just how different the answers are. Depending on what part of Job you read, you get one set of answers. If you read the Prophets, you get a different set of answers. If you read apocalyptic literature, you get still a different set of answers.

This made me think more deeply about my own understanding of why thereís suffering in the world. Finally, because I became dissatisfied with all the conventional answers, I decided that I couldnít believe in a God who was in any way intervening in this world, given the state of things. So thatís why I ended up losing my faith."

http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/other...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?...
What is point in pretending you aren't ?

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You honestly know next to nothing about this stuff, hey?
It's easy: you look at the bone density, muscle attachment sites and joint sizes.
Strong muscles compress bones, increasing the density (you see this not only in the mass of the bone, but in the cellular structure). Muscle attachment sites are either large (powerful muscles) or small (weak). Joints are mechanical in nature; there are mathematical relationships between the size of the parts and how much force they can take.
The above is how we know that neanderthals were so strong, they could crush the bones of your hand with a handshake. They were stronger than contemporaneous humans - but the woman my friend dug up was a human.
I understand that, but he's talking about a 26,000 year old fossil...

It's all assumptions, not fact.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're pretty naive about science and religion. Look at your comments - you actually believe that your inability to imagine something and your lack of knowledge of something are arguments against that thing.
They're not. It just means you don't know what you're talking about (defining features of ignorant and naive).
I don't believe that at all, quite the contrary. It's atheists that "actually believe that their inability to imagine something and their lack of knowledge of something are arguments against that thing".

Atheists, it seems, live their lives with a very closed mind with almost no ability to imagine or dream, because imagiation & dreams can't be proven.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
"Bart Ehrman: First, I lost my fundamentalist faith because of my scholarship. Like Bill Dever, I have a fundamentalist background. I had a very high view of Scripture as the inerrant word of God, no mistakes of any kindógeographical or historical. No contradictions. Inviolate. My scholarship early on as a graduate student showed me that in fact these views about the Bible were wrong. I started finding contradictions and finding other discrepancies and started finding problems with the Bible. What that ended up doing for me was showing me that the basis of my faith, which at that time was the Bible, was problematic. So I shifted from being an evangelical Christian to becoming a fairly mainline liberal Protestant Christian.
What ended up making me lose my faith was kind of related to scholarship: When I was at Rutgers University, I taught a course on the problem of suffering in Biblical traditions, where I dealt with issues of theodicy throughout different Biblical books, both Hebrew Bible and the New Testamentó
Ehrman: Theodicy is the question of how God can be righteous, given the amount of suffering in the world. The issue as itís usually put today is that if God is all-powerful and is able to prevent suffering, and is all-loving so that he wants to prevent suffering, why is there suffering? This problem isnít ever expressed that way in the Bible, but Biblical authors do deal with the problem by asking: Why does the people of God suffer? In teaching this course, the thing that struck me is just how different the answers are. Depending on what part of Job you read, you get one set of answers. If you read the Prophets, you get a different set of answers. If you read apocalyptic literature, you get still a different set of answers.
This made me think more deeply about my own understanding of why thereís suffering in the world. Finally, because I became dissatisfied with all the conventional answers, I decided that I couldnít believe in a God who was in any way intervening in this world, given the state of things. So thatís why I ended up losing my faith."
If you take anything written by man as an absolute truth you are doing so based on faith in the veracity of the writer, and subject to personal interpretations of the words used.

You're gonna lose if you bet your life's savings on it.

In this instance of the gentleman's reasons, he needs to go back to the first few pages of that book. In the beginning. Man got cast out and was then on born to suffer on his own. Getting back to the good life is an individual endeavor. Whining and moaning don't do it. Simple fact is you have to dissociate yourself from greater mankind, being just one of the herd and its mindset, to establishing a personal relationship with the creative force so you can find the way back. Mankind is in the open range, not in a dairy barn.

However, feel free to continue saying moo if it suits you. If you feel you are one of the smartest cows in the herd, why would you want to complicate your life here any? Just hope the cattle trucks and cowboys don't show up. Those smarts that gave you status in the herd ain't going to do you much good by that time.

:-)

Good morning, sweetie.

<smooch>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
So, basically, Satan spoke, he listened. Got it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
What is point in pretending you aren't ?
Quality of life, and less being owned by others.

Plus it allows you to be more creative on a personal level. You are less concerned about what your human masters think of you.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that, but he's talking about a 26,000 year old fossil...
It's all assumptions, not fact.
No, baby, it's all fact. They're bones, btw - not mineralized fossils. We can even measure their DNA.

Why do you argue with me? You haven't got a clue what you're talking about whereas I'm an professional in the field...

Here:

"Abstract
Temporal trends in postcranial robusticity within the genus Homo are explored by comparing cross-sectional diaphyseal and articular properties of the femur, and to a more limited extent, the humerus, in samples of Recent and earlier Homo. Using both theoretical mechanical models and empirical observations within Recent humans, scaling relationships between structural properties and bone length are developed. The influence of body shape on these relationships is considered. These scaling factors are then used to standardize structural properties for comparisons with pre-Recent Homo (Homo sp. and H. erectus, archaic H. sapiens, and early modern H. sapiens). Results of the comparisons lead to the following conclusions: 1) There has been a consistent, exponentially increasing decline in diaphyseal robusticity within Homo that has continued from the early Pleistocene through living humans. Early modern H. sapiens are closer in shaft robusticity to archaic H. sapiens than they are to Recent humans. The increase in diaphyseal robusticity in earlier Homo is a result of both medullary contraction and periosteal expansion relative to Recent humans. 2) There has been no similar temporal decline in articular robusticity within HomoĖrelative femoral head size is similar in all groups and time periods. Thus, articular to shaft proportions are different in pre-Recent and Recent Homo. 3) These findings are most consistent with a mechanical explanation (declining mechanical loading of the postcranium), that acted primarily through developmental rather than genetic means. The environmental (behavioral) factors that brought about the decline in postcranial robusticity in Homo are ultimately linked to increases in brain size and cultural-technological advances, although changes in robusticity lag behind changes in cognitive capabilities.© 1993 Wiley-Liss, Inc."

Do you understand what they're saying? Humans have been getting weaker since about 30 000 years ago - and this accelerated at 12 000 years ago. Any guesses as to why we got weaker?

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/22762...

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So, basically, Satan spoke, he listened. Got it.
baaaa-hahahahahahah!!!

LOL

hahahahahahahaha, oh, god, that's one of your funniest!

hahahaha, still howling! crazy funny!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 124,301 - 124,320 of224,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 18 min Buck Crick 7
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 46 min Patrick 21,376
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Buck Crick 175
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 2 hr Buck Crick 356
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 831
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 6 hr Patrick 1,285
Introducing The Universal Religion 8 hr Thinking 729
•••
•••