Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258452 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#128947 Oct 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>Solly. I'm Asian. I have touble with R's. I meant poker.
Liquor up front.

Poker in the rear.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128948 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Is a "poke" game sort of like "spin the bottle"?
Yes.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#128949 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More assumptions? For your information, I haven't had a college education because I can't afford it.
But thanks for throwing that in my face, I appreciate it.
"Unlike me, you know almost nothing." eh? You seem to know a lot about ONE thing, bullshit.
I should append that - "know almost nothing about how science works." I'm sure you know lots about your specific job.

RR, there's intelligence and there's knowledge. For me, you come across as a pretty smart guy. You're witty and you put two and two together quickly. There's no shame in not knowing something - all of us are ignorant about most things. What pisses me off is when people lie about that and make authoritative statements, based on their religious beliefs, about topics they have no knowledge of.

When someone writes "evolution has no proof!" or "macro evolution is false" or "evolution is a fringe theory" they're really saying "I don't understand biological science, I've been told by my religious leaders that evolution is false, and I'm here to declare that!"

So I hope you'll pardon me, but I have teeth. If someone is going to dishonestly tell me how something works when they have no knowledge of that something, and their only "qualification" for making a dishonest statement is their religion, I'm going to come down hard on them.

Location hidden

#128950 Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer wrote:
Obama/Biden 2012
Rocky/Mr. T 1982

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128951 Oct 10, 2012
preterism wrote:
Please explain how life came to be.
No.

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#128952 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.
The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?

You are using the wrong application for the word “coward,” my friend.

Misapplying words in a sentence shows a poor understanding and use of the language.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128953 Oct 10, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What is wrong with you? Why are you so preoccupied with gay people?
He are one.

Shhhhh....

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#128954 Oct 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence or f*ck off it's been that simple since the dawn of time itself.
You are always a distinguished diplomat.

Some stable somewhere

#128955 Oct 10, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe that at all, quite the contrary. It's atheists that "actually believe that their inability to imagine something and their lack of knowledge of something are arguments against that thing".
Atheists, it seems, live their lives with a very closed mind with almost no ability to imagine or dream, because imagiation & dreams can't be proven.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you've noticed, but you and I haven't only been talking about God here - but also homosexual behavior, evolution, planetary formation, paleoanthropology. Unlike me, you know almost nothing. I'm guessing it was your religion that did that to you.
It told you "God did it" is an acceptable answer to all life's mysteries, so you just turned your brain off.
Unlike you, atheists are full of creativity. We aren't afraid to explore reality like you people - you're utterly closed minded. You actually believe in intellectual laziness as some kind of virtue!
Your answer to everything is "God did it." That's a worthless, stupid answer - it actually hurts people. Imagine if the discoverers of insulin stopped and said "gosh this is hard, let's just say 'God did it'" - imagine if any physicist or medical researcher did that! We wouldn't have power lines, antibiotics, antivirals - anything.
God did it is not an answer. Willful ignorance is abject idiocy - and it's ruining your great nation.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More assumptions? For your information, I haven't had a college education because I can't afford it.
But thanks for throwing that in my face, I appreciate it.
"Unlike me, you know almost nothing." eh? You seem to know a lot about ONE thing, bullshit.
It's worth putting this conversation in context. Before you act all hurt here, you were attacking atheists, claiming all kinds of things about us - based on the one, unifying label "atheist."

So...how do you expect me to respond? You want me to say "oh, gosh, yeah, we're all thoughtless scum who aren't creative because we don't believe in an all powerful stalker."

If you're going to spoon it out...you know the rest.

Some stable somewhere

#128956 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Misapplying words in a sentence shows a poor understanding and use of the language.
In this specific context, Dave claimed Catcher did a thing and then refused to back it up. It was insulting to Catcher, a falsehood, and Catcher was correct in calling Dave on it.

You're totally correct in that Dave isn't afraid to speak his mind about his strange and delusional understanding of the universe. He does seem adverse to actually reading about how the universe works, though.

Some stable somewhere

#128957 Oct 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Well, one out of three ain't bad!

Some stable somewhere

#128958 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Macaroni and Cheese!!!!
Now that I do believe in.
And hamburgers! Yum!

Location hidden

#128960 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And hamburgers! Yum!
Get over here and get yer hugs.

Yup. You've earned 'em.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#128961 Oct 10, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
I have a big toe.
I never said that was an issue, did I?
Aerobatty wrote:
Two, in fact.
As we all do. I never disputed that you did, also, the number of "big toes" was never in question.
Aerobatty wrote:
Ergo, I'm a bigtoed atheist.
Your "big toeism" is a separate issue from atheism, or being atheist. I have no doubt there is an atheist somewhere without a big toe, at all. Not even one big toe.
Aerobatty wrote:
And I'm on this thread.
Well, yeah, but this isn't the bigtoed atheist thread, which, is the issue at hand....erm afoot, as it were.
Aerobatty wrote:
Sometimes I think you're just being argumentative, scar.
I wouldn't say that.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#128962 Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer wrote:
<quoted text>I do have some eye of newt, my three little witches gave me some- Pelosi Boxer and Hilary.
But they do not have the power of cheese.:)

Location hidden

#128963 Oct 10, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"The man speaks his mind and he’s a coward?" - In some cases, absolutely.

Eagle12

Southern Illinois

#128964 Oct 10, 2012
Click on the link below and you will see a spider attacking a wasp. Both were captured in amber. Scientist believe this attack happened 100 million years ago.

What is interesting that spiders looked and behave the same way as they did millions of years ago. Not much has changed in 100 million years.

I could support evolution if spiders had evolved to the point of using shoulder fired missiles that would lock on to their target and knock them out of the sky. But spiders still use the ole build a trap method. This doesn’t say much for evolution.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/anci...

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#128965 Oct 10, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
In this specific context, Dave claimed Catcher did a thing and then refused to back it up. It was insulting to Catcher, a falsehood, and Catcher was correct in calling Dave on it.
You're totally correct in that Dave isn't afraid to speak his mind about his strange and delusional understanding of the universe. He does seem adverse to actually reading about how the universe works, though.
Ah, sweetness.

Catcher is a poseur, has alleged many things without backing them up, and Dave doesn't fall for the badger game. He knows I was right, whatever I said.

Your reality is what you read. Which is why you believe anything you read. My reality is observing and thinking. And being quite discerning in what I do read, which, BTW, started long before you were born.

Your tag line says a lot about your motivations for being on here.

Location hidden

#128966 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, sweetness.
Catcher is a poseur, has alleged many things without backing them up, and Dave doesn't fall for the badger game. He knows I was right, whatever I said.
Your reality is what you read. Which is why you believe anything you read. My reality is observing and thinking. And being quite discerning in what I do read, which, BTW, started long before you were born.
Your tag line says a lot about your motivations for being on here.
You're a clown.

Latonia, KY

#128967 Oct 10, 2012
And if we are going to talk about being responsible for producing media that could spark violence or encourage killings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

If these are ok, Why are these ok but the triffle spoof youtube video bad?

Actually if you watch the entire spoof video you see they are talking about the prophet of violent radicals and the spoof is on the twisted way THEY see the prophet. Moderate Muslims should understand this and agree that radicals misuse the prophet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 min Aura Mytha 67,329
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 28,681
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 hr 15th Dalai Lama 3,538
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web