Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,213)

Showing posts 124,241 - 124,260 of223,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You've led a sheltered life, or extremely myopic,
The bogeyman is waiting for you.
It's really quite simple. Death scares the shit out of you, so you'll cling to anything that will ameliorate the fear. Nothing new here.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you say that? Oh I know it’s deliberate ignorance, total misunderstanding in inbuilt hatred of whatever you don’t understand. Right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Senator Avella "offended" at Muslim Parade NYC

The mussies what to make an international law, that I cannot blaspheme their mythology! The same people who flew planes into our buildings, killing over 3,000 innocent people, what to make a fu[king law! KMA!

A group who thinks that they have the right to shoot a little girl, to force rape victims to marry their rapists, to stone little girls to death for wearing makeup! KMA!

They may have the freedom to speak, but they cannot and will not get their way.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another improper sentence.
"Good try."
The teacher has a double standard. It’s ok for him to use improper grammar but it’s not ok for me.
"okay"

Double standards are acceptable when teaching.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/n ewsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-he aven-a-doctor-s-experience-wit h-the-afterlife.html
A neurosurgeon.
Of course, there will be those on here that say it was impossible.
How does the man know that what he experienced was while his cortex was shut down?

He doesn't.

For him to claim that his observation was medically or scientifically supported is a joke.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/n ewsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-he aven-a-doctor-s-experience-wit h-the-afterlife.html
A neurosurgeon.
Of course, there will be those on here that say it was impossible.
You have to know that one man's personal experience means nothing.

It's funny that his journey through the afterlife did not depart too far from the common christian conception of the afterlife. Clouds, angels, answers, love, etc...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.viewzone.com/rap.ht ml
Atheist puppet masters.
Dave, you are venturing even further into crazy old man territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I believe the argument was that rap music is used to control the populace. So no.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another improper sentence.
"Good try."
The teacher has a double standard. It’s ok for him to use improper grammar but it’s not ok for me.
You have much to learn.

But interest is important, and you are acquiring it!

Tell you what though: I'll start slipping in some grammatical errors and you have to attempt to find them. How's that?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the man know that what he experienced was while his cortex was shut down?
He doesn't.
For him to claim that his observation was medically or scientifically supported is a joke.
Did you read the whole article?

"Very early one morning four years ago, I awoke with an extremely intense headache. Within hours, my entire cortex—the part of the brain that controls thought and emotion and that in essence makes us human—had shut down. Doctors at Lynchburg General Hospital in Virginia, a hospital where I myself worked as a neurosurgeon, determined that I had somehow contracted a very rare bacterial meningitis that mostly attacks newborns. E. coli bacteria had penetrated my cerebrospinal fluid and were eating my brain.

When I entered the emergency room that morning, my chances of survival in anything beyond a vegetative state were already low. They soon sank to near nonexistent. For seven days I lay in a deep coma, my body unresponsive, my higher-order brain functions totally offline."

"All the chief arguments against near-death experiences suggest that these experiences are the results of minimal, transient, or partial malfunctioning of the cortex. My near-death experience, however, took place not while my cortex was malfunctioning, but while it was simply off. This is clear from the severity and duration of my meningitis, and from the global cortical involvement documented by CT scans and neurological examinations. According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent."

"I’ve spent decades as a neurosurgeon at some of the most prestigious medical institutions in our country. I know that many of my peers hold—as I myself did—to the theory that the brain, and in particular the cortex, generates consciousness and that we live in a universe devoid of any kind of emotion, much less the unconditional love that I now know God and the universe have toward us. But that belief, that theory, now lies broken at our feet. What happened to me destroyed it, and I intend to spend the rest of my life investigating the true nature of consciousness and making the fact that we are more, much more, than our physical brains as clear as I can, both to my fellow scientists and to people at large."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, you are venturing even further into crazy old man territory.
I believe the was that rap music is used to control the populace. So no.
Rap music is just part of it. The whole mass media scene.

You do not choose what you will watch. Never. Changing channels doesn't count. Everything is programmed. A few minds dictate what you will see and react to. Has been that way as long as man has been civilized. Town crier, newspapers, mass media.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Rap music is just part of it. The whole mass media scene.
You do not choose what you will watch. Never. Changing channels doesn't count. Everything is programmed. A few minds dictate what you will see and react to. Has been that way as long as man has been civilized. Town crier, newspapers, mass media.
Haha. Oh Dave. I don't watch tv. I don't watch the news.

Although I do agree, a lot of the media only exists to reinforce the status quo. That does not mean that you can make broad brush stroke allegations against every form of entertainment and every information source.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all good, don't worry about it. I've already forgotten about it.
MartinaSirDoc would be pretty happy then!
Mademoiselle as always , I succumb to your lighter touch.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Haha. Oh Dave. I don't watch tv. I don't watch the news.
Although I do agree, a lot of the media only exists to reinforce the status quo. That does not mean that you can make broad brush stroke allegations against every form of entertainment and every information source.
Since the first time you gave a teacher the "right" answer, you have been hooked. Those were basic and relevant things, reading, writing, arithmetic, but as time went on you got into the "correct" and "accepted" view of things way past that. You became trained to think a certain logic, which are less "correct".

Political views start getting shaped by at least junior high.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Haha. Oh Dave. I don't watch tv. I don't watch the news.
No, not every, but it only takes a few.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Judged:

Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>I lost my virginity. In the gay community.
MC Doc bustin some rhymes.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the whole article?
"Very early one morning four years ago, I awoke with an extremely intense headache. Within hours, my entire cortex—the part of the brain that controls thought and emotion and that in essence makes us human—had shut down. Doctors at Lynchburg General Hospital in Virginia, a hospital where I myself worked as a neurosurgeon, determined that I had somehow contracted a very rare bacterial meningitis that mostly attacks newborns. E. coli bacteria had penetrated my cerebrospinal fluid and were eating my brain.
When I entered the emergency room that morning, my chances of survival in anything beyond a vegetative state were already low. They soon sank to near nonexistent. For seven days I lay in a deep coma, my body unresponsive, my higher-order brain functions totally offline."
"All the chief arguments against near-death experiences suggest that these experiences are the results of minimal, transient, or partial malfunctioning of the cortex. My near-death experience, however, took place not while my cortex was malfunctioning, but while it was simply off. This is clear from the severity and duration of my meningitis, and from the global cortical involvement documented by CT scans and neurological examinations. According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent."
"I’ve spent decades as a neurosurgeon at some of the most prestigious medical institutions in our country. I know that many of my peers hold—as I myself did—to the theory that the brain, and in particular the cortex, generates consciousness and that we live in a universe devoid of any kind of emotion, much less the unconditional love that I now know God and the universe have toward us. But that belief, that theory, now lies broken at our feet. What happened to me destroyed it, and I intend to spend the rest of my life investigating the true nature of consciousness and making the fact that we are more, much more, than our physical brains as clear as I can, both to my fellow scientists and to people at large."
I did read the entire article, Dave. Here is what caught my eye.
Alexander wrote:
Then, on the morning of my seventh day in the hospital, as my doctors weighed whether to discontinue treatment, my eyes popped open.
He obviously wasn't as incapable of consciousness as was thought.

He doesn't attempt to explain how he went from essentially brain dead, with a doctor looking to see if they should discontinue to brain alive, in the blink of an eye. Obviously the machinery and all indications were pointing to his being a vegetable.

Yet, he blinks his eyes, voilà! From brain dead to brain function in a blink?

He continues...
Alexander wrote:
There is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind—my conscious, inner self—was alive and well.
There is no fact involved above at all - that he experienced what he claims while in a coma.

It could have occurred as he slipped into a coma, as he was exiting the coma, or, a dream later on.

There is no fact involved there, its an assertion, an anecdote.
Alexander wrote:
But as far as I know, no one before me has ever traveled to this dimension (a) while their cortex was completely shut down, and (b) while their body was under minute medical observation, as mine was for the full seven days of my coma.
Minute medical observation? The cortex jumps from an infected and ravaged - completely shut down -(no go)- to - GO!- in the blink of an eye?

It's just an anecdotal story, Dave.

That's all.

That it is a doctor relaying the story adds no weight or special relevance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the first time you gave a teacher the "right" answer, you have been hooked. Those were basic and relevant things, reading, writing, arithmetic, but as time went on you got into the "correct" and "accepted" view of things way past that. You became trained to think a certain logic, which are less "correct".
Political views start getting shaped by at least junior high.
And you, of course, are completely free from every possible influence. You have never spoken to another human.

Seriously though dave, not everyone is an ignorant puppet enslaved by the education gods. Obviously, primary education has as one it's main goals the production of good, obedient citizens - but that doesn't mean that everyone who gets educated turns into a mindless husk. Education is at it's best when new and controversial ideas get bounced around, which is why tenure exists.

And why are you talking about my political views?

I really don't think anything convince you that the strange little narrative you have constructed in your mind - that you are right and everyone else is a mindless zombie - is wrong.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not every, but it only takes a few.
Ok? What does that have to do with me?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

Please explain how life came to be.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

preterism wrote:
Please explain how life came to be.
Sperm and egg?

Or did you have the hash browns?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2012

The Church of Christ is the ONLY church of the bible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 124,241 - 124,260 of223,205
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••