Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128761 Oct 9, 2012

Westcliffe, CO

#128762 Oct 9, 2012
http://www.viewzone.com/rap.html

Atheist puppet masters.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128763 Oct 9, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Hahaha oh my.. no I meant that it's a relief that this person is an intentionally inflammatory troll, not that I was relieved that they had some issues in childhood.
hee,hee, hee

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128764 Oct 9, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks to the power of the internet, I know that I should be offended at this remark. But gweilo is such a fun word to say, so I'm not.
hahaha!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128765 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO
How did your friend figure the strength of a supposed 26,000 year old woman?
PUUHHH-LEASE
You honestly know next to nothing about this stuff, hey?

It's easy: you look at the bone density, muscle attachment sites and joint sizes.

Strong muscles compress bones, increasing the density (you see this not only in the mass of the bone, but in the cellular structure). Muscle attachment sites are either large (powerful muscles) or small (weak). Joints are mechanical in nature; there are mathematical relationships between the size of the parts and how much force they can take.

The above is how we know that neanderthals were so strong, they could crush the bones of your hand with a handshake. They were stronger than contemporaneous humans - but the woman my friend dug up was a human.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#128766 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/n ewsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-he aven-a-doctor-s-experience-wit h-the-afterlife.html
A neurosurgeon.
Of course, there will be those on here that say it was impossible.
Near death experience. Doesn't count. Nothing even vaguely supernatural happens in reality, but upon dying -yahoo!- the metaphysical carnival begins. Hope you reincarnate in Camden, New Jersey.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128767 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Naive... That's all you've got? Because I'm for from naive, young man. I look at things objectively, I don't blindly follow like you people do.
You're pretty naive about science and religion. Look at your comments - you actually believe that your inability to imagine something and your lack of knowledge of something are arguments against that thing.

They're not. It just means you don't know what you're talking about (defining features of ignorant and naive).

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128768 Oct 9, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a believer in Micro.
micro+miCro+MiCro+MICro+MICro+ MICRO=macro

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128769 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I was bad I'm sorry I really didn't mean anyone in this forum anyway. I somewhat know you all , which means I do have feelings for you and couldn't hurt you, you especially. Dave would have to get 50 lash's wet noodle though.
Martintina Numbskulvolia would get thrown into a locked gay bath where he would have to spend the rest of his life.
But seriously please forgive my rudeness and insensitivity.
I'm really much more chivalrous than that. I feel as though I bruised my honor though unintentionally.
It's all good, don't worry about it. I've already forgotten about it.

MartinaSirDoc would be pretty happy then!

Westcliffe, CO

#128770 Oct 9, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Near death experience. Doesn't count. Nothing even vaguely supernatural happens in reality, but upon dying -yahoo!- the metaphysical carnival begins. Hope you reincarnate in Camden, New Jersey.
You've led a sheltered life, or extremely myopic,

The bogeyman is waiting for you.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#128771 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You've led a sheltered life, or extremely myopic,
The bogeyman is waiting for you.
It's really quite simple. Death scares the shit out of you, so you'll cling to anything that will ameliorate the fear. Nothing new here.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#128772 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you say that? Oh I know itís deliberate ignorance, total misunderstanding in inbuilt hatred of whatever you donít understand. Right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Senator Avella "offended" at Muslim Parade NYC

The mussies what to make an international law, that I cannot blaspheme their mythology! The same people who flew planes into our buildings, killing over 3,000 innocent people, what to make a fu[king law! KMA!

A group who thinks that they have the right to shoot a little girl, to force rape victims to marry their rapists, to stone little girls to death for wearing makeup! KMA!

They may have the freedom to speak, but they cannot and will not get their way.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#128773 Oct 9, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another improper sentence.
"Good try."
The teacher has a double standard. Itís ok for him to use improper grammar but itís not ok for me.
"okay"

Double standards are acceptable when teaching.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#128774 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/n ewsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-he aven-a-doctor-s-experience-wit h-the-afterlife.html
A neurosurgeon.
How does the man know that what he experienced was while his cortex was shut down?

He doesn't.

For him to claim that his observation was medically or scientifically supported is a joke.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#128775 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
A neurosurgeon.
You have to know that one man's personal experience means nothing.

It's funny that his journey through the afterlife did not depart too far from the common christian conception of the afterlife. Clouds, angels, answers, love, etc...

Location hidden

#128776 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.viewzone.com/rap.ht ml
Atheist puppet masters.
Dave, you are venturing even further into crazy old man territory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

I believe the argument was that rap music is used to control the populace. So no.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#128777 Oct 9, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another improper sentence.
"Good try."
The teacher has a double standard. Itís ok for him to use improper grammar but itís not ok for me.
You have much to learn.

But interest is important, and you are acquiring it!

Tell you what though: I'll start slipping in some grammatical errors and you have to attempt to find them. How's that?

Westcliffe, CO

#128778 Oct 9, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the man know that what he experienced was while his cortex was shut down?
He doesn't.
For him to claim that his observation was medically or scientifically supported is a joke.
Did you read the whole article?

"Very early one morning four years ago, I awoke with an extremely intense headache. Within hours, my entire cortexóthe part of the brain that controls thought and emotion and that in essence makes us humanóhad shut down. Doctors at Lynchburg General Hospital in Virginia, a hospital where I myself worked as a neurosurgeon, determined that I had somehow contracted a very rare bacterial meningitis that mostly attacks newborns. E. coli bacteria had penetrated my cerebrospinal fluid and were eating my brain.

When I entered the emergency room that morning, my chances of survival in anything beyond a vegetative state were already low. They soon sank to near nonexistent. For seven days I lay in a deep coma, my body unresponsive, my higher-order brain functions totally offline."

"All the chief arguments against near-death experiences suggest that these experiences are the results of minimal, transient, or partial malfunctioning of the cortex. My near-death experience, however, took place not while my cortex was malfunctioning, but while it was simply off. This is clear from the severity and duration of my meningitis, and from the global cortical involvement documented by CT scans and neurological examinations. According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent."

"Iíve spent decades as a neurosurgeon at some of the most prestigious medical institutions in our country. I know that many of my peers holdóas I myself didóto the theory that the brain, and in particular the cortex, generates consciousness and that we live in a universe devoid of any kind of emotion, much less the unconditional love that I now know God and the universe have toward us. But that belief, that theory, now lies broken at our feet. What happened to me destroyed it, and I intend to spend the rest of my life investigating the true nature of consciousness and making the fact that we are more, much more, than our physical brains as clear as I can, both to my fellow scientists and to people at large."

Westcliffe, CO

#128779 Oct 9, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, you are venturing even further into crazy old man territory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SXR-1clhulQXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I believe the was that rap music is used to control the populace. So no.
Rap music is just part of it. The whole mass media scene.

You do not choose what you will watch. Never. Changing channels doesn't count. Everything is programmed. A few minds dictate what you will see and react to. Has been that way as long as man has been civilized. Town crier, newspapers, mass media.

Location hidden

#128780 Oct 9, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Rap music is just part of it. The whole mass media scene.
You do not choose what you will watch. Never. Changing channels doesn't count. Everything is programmed. A few minds dictate what you will see and react to. Has been that way as long as man has been civilized. Town crier, newspapers, mass media.
Haha. Oh Dave. I don't watch tv. I don't watch the news.

Although I do agree, a lot of the media only exists to reinforce the status quo. That does not mean that you can make broad brush stroke allegations against every form of entertainment and every information source.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 22 min pearl 4,823
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr One way or another 16,727
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Patrick n Angela 6,035
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 4 hr Patrick n Angela 3,037
The Consequences of Atheism 5 hr polymath257 772
Is Religion Childish? 13 hr Thinking 142
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Sun thetruth 6
More from around the web