Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#128830 Oct 10, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what happened to you, Dave?
Did some type of otherworldly magnetic bug thingy get in your ear and lay an egg, Dave?
Aren't you that hateful atheist I saw on another bigtoed atheist thread?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128831 Oct 10, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian knife fight.
They're the best.
Don't you love the way he (it is our old friend Viking in new socks) rewrites the Bible to suit whatever hallucination he is currently having ?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128832 Oct 10, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Water
LOL

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128833 Oct 10, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you that hateful atheist I saw on another bigtoed atheist thread?
That was one of your own socks, VIking.

Your MPD sucks doesn't it ?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128834 Oct 10, 2012
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?

Does that benefit you? No, it benefits those that can exploit you by your believing it.

This is YOUR time in the sun.

The serpent in the Garden told Eve she would surely not die if she knew the "truth". She was a construct, a physical being vulnerable to other physical things. She and Adam lost faith in that which created them to protect and maintain them. Fear of death was introduced to mankind.

The serpent is whispering in your ear again with this "knowledge" that you are just a piece of stellar shit.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128835 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?
Does that benefit you? No, it benefits those that can exploit you by your believing it.
This is YOUR time in the sun.
The serpent in the Garden told Eve she would surely not die if she knew the "truth". She was a construct, a physical being vulnerable to other physical things. She and Adam lost faith in that which created them to protect and maintain them. Fear of death was introduced to mankind.
The serpent is whispering in your ear again with this "knowledge" that you are just a piece of stellar shit.
Begone serpent! Shaddup ! "stuffs a carrot in Dave's mouth"
Dave? Dave's not here!

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128836 Oct 10, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Begone serpent! Shaddup ! "stuffs a carrot in Dave's mouth"
Dave? Dave's not here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =N6wV7rAKMNEXX
Be careful not to get sssssunburned, ssssilly man.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#128837 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful not to get sssssunburned, ssssilly man.
You've failed to convince anyone that your god is real. Go back to your cult and concoct some more lies about atheists and science and see if those stick.

Hint: They won't because you are a proven liar lying about a god that isn't real.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128838 Oct 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You've failed to convince anyone that your god is real. Go back to your cult and concoct some more lies about atheists and science and see if those stick.
Hint: They won't because you are a proven liar lying about a god that isn't real.
Ssssilly Sssskeptic.

You will never ssssee anything but yourssself unlesssss you take your head out of your asssss.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128839 Oct 10, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
How much Rum do you have?
I'll teach this time.
Never enough.

Teach away!

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#128840 Oct 10, 2012
preterism wrote:
<quoted text> Would you consider creation to be a supernatural event?
If it takes a god, absolutely.

Totally supernatural.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#128841 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?
Does that benefit you? No, it benefits those that can exploit you by your believing it.
This is YOUR time in the sun.
The serpent in the Garden told Eve she would surely not die if she knew the "truth". She was a construct, a physical being vulnerable to other physical things. She and Adam lost faith in that which created them to protect and maintain them. Fear of death was introduced to mankind.
The serpent is whispering in your ear again with this "knowledge" that you are just a piece of stellar shit.
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128842 Oct 10, 2012
I'm not much up on the Bible text. Never read it all the way through, much less remember chapter and verse. Just some general things I remember and look up on Google.

Need some of these atheist expert on the Bible to point me out to some verses.

Where does Jesus say you will be just sitting around like good little sheep singing hosannas? Having no life and future experiences, or even free will of a sort, so to speak? I don't think there is really anything like that in there attributable to him. Just something like you will have eternal life. God kind of sets you loose, but in better shape. But I could be wrong.

Now, what does "science" based atheism tell you? They know the "truth" and what is best for you. Listen to them, and obey, they say.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128843 Oct 10, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I stated yesterday, you are nothing but a coward, Dave.
Am I supposed to care what you think?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#128844 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I supposed to care what you think?
Considering that you're in the atheist forum trying to lie to atheists, and failing miserably, ummm yes?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#128845 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
I'm not much up on the Bible text. Never read it all the way through, much less remember chapter and verse. Just some general things I remember and look up on Google.
Need some of these atheist expert on the Bible to point me out to some verses.
Where does Jesus say you will be just sitting around like good little sheep singing hosannas? Having no life and future experiences, or even free will of a sort, so to speak? I don't think there is really anything like that in there attributable to him. Just something like you will have eternal life. God kind of sets you loose, but in better shape. But I could be wrong.
Now, what does "science" based atheism tell you? They know the "truth" and what is best for you. Listen to them, and obey, they say.
Evidence or f*ck off it's been that simple since the dawn of time itself.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#128846 Oct 10, 2012
moki wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some Schnapps at home. What's yr fave drink River?
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Water
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Hehehehe

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128847 Oct 10, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence or f*ck off it's been that simple since the dawn of time itself.
Evidence for a "truth", eh?

Here's a truth.

One or both of your parents carried some defective genes.

The evidence?

You.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128848 Oct 10, 2012
Why Bible scholars lose their faith:

"Bart Ehrman: First, I lost my fundamentalist faith because of my scholarship. Like Bill Dever, I have a fundamentalist background. I had a very high view of Scripture as the inerrant word of God, no mistakes of any kindógeographical or historical. No contradictions. Inviolate. My scholarship early on as a graduate student showed me that in fact these views about the Bible were wrong. I started finding contradictions and finding other discrepancies and started finding problems with the Bible. What that ended up doing for me was showing me that the basis of my faith, which at that time was the Bible, was problematic. So I shifted from being an evangelical Christian to becoming a fairly mainline liberal Protestant Christian.
What ended up making me lose my faith was kind of related to scholarship: When I was at Rutgers University, I taught a course on the problem of suffering in Biblical traditions, where I dealt with issues of theodicy throughout different Biblical books, both Hebrew Bible and the New Testamentó

Shanks: What is theodicy?

Ehrman: Theodicy is the question of how God can be righteous, given the amount of suffering in the world. The issue as itís usually put today is that if God is all-powerful and is able to prevent suffering, and is all-loving so that he wants to prevent suffering, why is there suffering? This problem isnít ever expressed that way in the Bible, but Biblical authors do deal with the problem by asking: Why does the people of God suffer? In teaching this course, the thing that struck me is just how different the answers are. Depending on what part of Job you read, you get one set of answers. If you read the Prophets, you get a different set of answers. If you read apocalyptic literature, you get still a different set of answers.

This made me think more deeply about my own understanding of why thereís suffering in the world. Finally, because I became dissatisfied with all the conventional answers, I decided that I couldnít believe in a God who was in any way intervening in this world, given the state of things. So thatís why I ended up losing my faith."

http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/other...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128849 Oct 10, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
What is the benefit in believing you are just a glorified piece of stellar shit coming and going in a flash?...
What is point in pretending you aren't ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Chimney1 18,851
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 20 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 20 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web