Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128560 Oct 9, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> It's the opinion, backed by reference from wikipedia, that I've supplied numerous times. Work done by archaeologists and experts in the field. You should supply the other opinions that refute or offer alternative explanations then, shouldn't you?
So far, all you really do is say - "NUH UH!".
LULZ...
It's modern agenda driven. It is not neutral. If you look at it from a historical perspective then he numbers change. Historical scholarship has Exodus down as history. Moderns are the ones who say they know more than mosst in history. You quote Israel Finkelstein, not mentioning is in minority with Hebrew scholars.
If you can't rebut the information, then you are doing nothing more than protesting.
That's fine, concede the point. As it is you've not refuted it.
Nobody denies modern scholarship denies the Exodus. There is nothing to concede. That is why they discredit themselves with the general population. They use their position to advance personal agendas under the guise of Science. They read their bias into the evidence. Reject outright evidence to the contrary. Effectually saying all the ancients were wrong on the Exodus. Jesus was wrong. Etc. That is not happening here. I gave you the counter evidence and you reject. That is what you do. Somehow thinking your atheism is validated by attacking Theism. It's not.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#128561 Oct 9, 2012
In fact at the time of the attacks I believe the director was thought to be a Jewish man living in Saudi Arabia. The fact of him being a Jewish American didn't come out until much later after the attack. His people have said he made it as a protest of all the anti Jewish propaganda in the Middle East that was the point of it.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#128562 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo
Methinks she was looking at it from the rapist's POV
Think of it this way: Although she MAY, you won't send your teen daughter out in the street, to walk in the most dangerous part of town at night. Yes, the law is on her side, but best not do anything stupid.
What me and Christine is saying is YES, you have freedoms and liberties. But use them responsibly.
People like Aura somehow twists that message, one of just exercising one's rights responsibly into some kind of anti-American rhetoric. But I think you understand it a bit better
I very much agree with, with rights comes responsibilities! The problem is; where do you draw the line.

The idiot church that wanted to burn the qur'an; he went too far, in my book. He did that strictly to incite the mussies. He is one of those idiots who does not understand that he follows the same god as the mussies.

The South Park writers, the cartoonist, author, and this filmmaker, in my opinion, are not trying to incite anyone.

As far as Christine, she seems to have a strong bias for the mussies. Seems that they can do little wrong in her book and if they do, it is someone else's fault.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128563 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>How does a person encourage someone to rape them?<quoted text>Drunk driving and killing people while drunk driving is totally different than making a stupid trailer making fun of a stupid religion.
Again . I have yet to hear of people getting murdered over the movies, UltraChrist, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, Religulous, or even Wickerman. So far only one religion has killed people in recent times over criticisms. I am sure that Theodore Van Gogh deserved what he got for his incitement as well?
Ask TBS, it seems to be what he goes looking for. I think that when you get older you too could be on the prowl and have a girl give you the come on before realising what you were like and then backing out.

No it is not, it is still a matter of responsibility but of course we assume the filmmaker was not drunk. Lets try and make it easier for you, if you make a decision to go to the toilet who is responsible for wiping your butt and flushing?

Ahh I donít really think you wanted to go there you mean the christians right? James Holmes, Anders Behring Breivik, Radovan Karadzic, Ratko Mladic, how about the NLFT in india. Good christians all and the KKK and anti abortionists in the US. You do not accept that the IRA were mass murdering terrorists for the name of their church? Honey I have been a victim of christain (IRA) bombing so donít try and butter it up with lies. Luckily in the case of that bombing no one was killed. The same cannot be said for the christian bombing of Warrington and so many other atrocities. Coincidentally the IRA atrocities were financed from US donations.

Where did I say deserved? I said responsible and I will continue to argue responsible.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128564 Oct 9, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
From what I have read about rape it usually has nothing to do with how a woman dresses or even looks. Many times it really isn't about the sex but exercising power over someone it's a violent attack that can as easily happen to a grandma in a pants suit as a party girl with her clothes painted on. The attacker acts based on opportunity not how a woman is dressed or even looks.
<quoted text>
I agree but LT and TBS brought up the subject of female dress as an incitement to rape.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128565 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is true that people (free people) can do what they want however that does not excuse them from the responsibility of considering what there actions would do to others.
OK so now we know you are deliberately ignorant. Well done.
You really do not know much about people do you? Tell me how was the current US hatred of the Muslim (not the terrorist but the Muslim) incited?
Thank you for stereotyping a whole country. You are right ALL of the US hates Muslims.
Violent people will be violent they do not need an excuse. They may use an excuse, such as a stupid movie, but it is not needed. Such as the druken lout that beats his wife. He beats whether he is drunk or not over the tiniest infraction. Is it her fault for not bringing him the beer fast enough?
And again how does someone incite rape upon themselves?

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#128566 Oct 9, 2012
The opportunity has little to nothing to do with how the woman is dressed.

In my old psychology classes we read case study after study and interviews with rapists in prison. A dumpy looking grandma dressed in several layers of clothes is just as likely to be targeted as a skimpily dressed college chick. They usually use a knife or gun and often the more dressed and conservative she looks the bigger the thrill. For them it's more about the attack the exercising control over someone than having sex with a hottie.

I love the old Penn And Teller where they ask, when is the last time you heard about a woman at a nudist resort getting raped?:)
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Key word: Opportunity.
We do not want to give the baddies *opportunity*.
I don't want my girlfriend, sister or mother excercising their rights to walk around on the city streets at night. Even though they have that liberty, it gives other the incentive.
Just because we have a right to go and offend people, does not mean that we should.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128567 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask TBS, it seems to be what he goes looking for. I think that when you get older you too could be on the prowl and have a girl give you the come on before realising what you were like and then backing out.
No it is not, it is still a matter of responsibility but of course we assume the filmmaker was not drunk. Lets try and make it easier for you, if you make a decision to go to the toilet who is responsible for wiping your butt and flushing?
Ahh I donít really think you wanted to go there you mean the christians right? James Holmes, Anders Behring Breivik, Radovan Karadzic, Ratko Mladic, how about the NLFT in india. Good christians all and the KKK and anti abortionists in the US. You do not accept that the IRA were mass murdering terrorists for the name of their church? Honey I have been a victim of christain (IRA) bombing so donít try and butter it up with lies. Luckily in the case of that bombing no one was killed. The same cannot be said for the christian bombing of Warrington and so many other atrocities. Coincidentally the IRA atrocities were financed from US donations.
Where did I say deserved? I said responsible and I will continue to argue responsible.
Did they do these things because of a movie? Or were there other motivations?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128568 Oct 9, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
The opportunity has little to nothing to do with how the woman is dressed.
In my old psychology classes we read case study after study and interviews with rapists in prison. A dumpy looking grandma dressed in several layers of clothes is just as likely to be targeted as a skimpily dressed college chick. They usually use a knife or gun and often the more dressed and conservative she looks the bigger the thrill. For them it's more about the attack the exercising control over someone than having sex with a hottie.
I love the old Penn And Teller where they ask, when is the last time you heard about a woman at a nudist resort getting raped?:)
<quoted text>
I agree completely.. weird.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128569 Oct 9, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are ready to talk about groups and not individuals, let me know. And when you find the perfect group of people, let me know.
Right so those atrocities donít count because they were individuals or is it because you have no argument? So predictable how you want to blame groups and not individuals and how you are not willing to accept facts because you have no argument against them.

The Israeli soldier that shot that Brit in the head, was he on his own or in a group of soldiers? Consider that he was part of a patrol manning an armed checkpoint.

Did the driver of that bulldozer act on his own or was he part of a group of bulldozer drivers directed by the military? Consider that no Israeli would go into a Palestinian enclave without military backing.

Was the pilot who killed 18 civilians at a wedding an Afghanistan not part of the group known as the US air force?

Was that soldier who killed 16 women and children not part of that group known as Navy Seals?

Or is it that you donít consider the military to be a group?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128570 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but LT and TBS brought up the subject of female dress as an incitement to rape.
Not true.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
I was just responding to it being used in another comment. I did not bring it up.
I believe that it was you that satated that it is possible for a woman to incite rape upon herself..
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128571 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Did they do these things because of a movie? Or were there other motivations?
I am not arguing what the motivation was, I am arguing responsibility.

Tell me was a stuck valve responsible for the melt down at three mile island?

Responsibility and consequences

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128572 Oct 9, 2012
I suppose that we can blame the makers of the Batman movie for this nutjob..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21811...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128573 Oct 9, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text> It's the opinion, backed by reference from wikipedia, that I've supplied numerous times. Work done by archaeologists and experts in the field. You should supply the other opinions that refute or offer alternative explanations then, shouldn't you?
So far, all you really do is say - "NUH UH!".
This article gives an example of the ancients who wrote of the Exodus in which ''modern scholarship'' states were all wrong because the Exodus never happened.

http://bibleandscience.com/archaeology/exodus...

Modern scholarship knows better? LULZ

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128574 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you say that?
hahaha!

'cause you said female bodies were nicer :p

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128575 Oct 9, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Now wait a minute! Your actions helped caused an unstable mind, to think that it was alright to have sex with you; and you don't think you should take any responsibility for that!?!?!? WTF?!?!?
Therefore you should expect whatever comes you way without complaint!!!
Yeah, you have double standards, alright!
What? Are you saying that if a woman wears provocative clothing, it's partially her fault that she was raped?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128576 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Mostly agree is good enough for me.
There was humor in my post...

sad face :(

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128577 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>No, not trolling. People should not have to walk around on egg shells for anyone, ever. People should be able to wear a shirt or say what they want or make a movie with out worry of getting murdered over it. The expectation of getting killed over an opinion should not be an expectation, ever, for anyone, not just Americans.
<quoted text>At least you noticed that much.
<quoted text>Hatred can not be encited unless those that hate allow it to be. Why should the world coddle those with thin skins?
Totally!

I'm going to put posters of Allah hanging out with Zeus up, with the caption "we're both equally real, jerks. Now grab a beer and chill out."

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128578 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Key word: Opportunity.
We do not want to give the baddies *opportunity*.
I don't want my girlfriend, sister or mother excercising their rights to walk around on the city streets at night. Even though they have that liberty, it gives other the incentive.
Just because we have a right to go and offend people, does not mean that we should.
It's ok. I carry a gun.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128579 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There was humor in my post...
sad face :(
Mine too. So cheer up, yo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min MikeF 17,013
The Consequences of Atheism 1 hr Thinking 843
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Thinking 4,916
Religiosity 5 hr Thinking 3
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 19 hr thetruth 1,670
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 19 hr thetruth 3
What evidence make you believe in God/gods? 19 hr thetruth 31
More from around the web