Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#128536 Oct 9, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"A 2009 poll by Pew Research Center found that "Nearly all scientists (97%) say humans and other living things have evolved over time 87% say evolution is due to natural processes, such as natural selection. The dominant position among scientists that living things have evolved due to natural processes is shared by only about third (32%) of the public."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_ev...
Yes. Because the public are uninformed of the facts and the merits of the theory
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There are scientists that don't support (believe in) evolution.
Define 'scientist'.

If by 'scientist' you mean a scholar who studied and graduated from an accredited university, in a field of any natural science (physics, biology, geology, geography, chemistry), then the percentage is very, very low.

If by 'scientist' you mean some guy on the TV saying he knows sciency stuff, like Kent Hovind, then the percentage is higher.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand 5 & 6, but how is a theory about a million year old 'believed' species "testable"?
Easy.

According to the TOE, Dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago.

Now here is my prediction - do any radiometric test on any new dinosaur finding, and you find that fossil older than 65 million years.

Or, since the TOE says that birds all are offspring of a dinosaur call Archaeopteryx around 135 million years ago, I can make a prediction that you will NEVER find a bird fossil dated at 200 million years.

Another prediction - you will never find remains of a modern mammal (lion, zebra, human, elephant, horse etc) lying in the same layer as that of a T-Rex.

I gave you three or four. The TOE makes MILLIONS of such predictions.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128537 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Hey, just so you know, South Park is my favourite show. And as you know, they insult EVERYBODY - Actors, scientists, Blue collar workers, white collar fat cats, whites, blacks, latinos, jews, gays, christians, scientologists, atheists.... And Tom Cruise.
I absolutely love the show - freedom of speech, right?
I howled with laughter when I saw Dawkins banging a guy on the show.

But when I saw Indiana Jones getting raped I thought it was the drugs - "this can't really be happening" but it was! Just like Indiana 4 happened...

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128538 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Screw you DF if you do not like the message, if you do not like the movie.....leave.
And keep your GD hands to yourself, after all it was just a movie.
Now what you are demanding is that I change, when I have placed no demands on you. I only expressed myself how I felt. I am free to do this and have not hurt anyone.
And the response was murder.
Sorry I will murder all of you to be free
to express myself as I wish.
Anything less is not freedom and a demand you have placed on me.
When I start making demands on you , you will understand.
But the only demand I've placed on you is , I've the right to express yourself if you do not like my expression , you have the right to walk away. Or express yourself in rebuttal. much like dis...
You're going to "murder" all of us to be free?

Uh...pardon me if I don't accept that.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128539 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Another double standard. Once again if a Christian responds emotionally to being called uneducated, liar, bigot, etc..
they get berated non-stop. I say equal treatment across the board. I Christians are retard for following a zombie god , then the Jews are retarded for following an even more outdated vengeful asshole of a god, and the Muslims are F@cken braindead for killing people over a criticism of a prophet let alone their camel riding desert dwelling murderous allah. We can't forget about the Wiccans which are just fairy loven nudist tree F@cken hippies or the Atheists and their nihilistic belief system and egocentric condescending attitudes.
What is a double standard here? TBS made a statement

I don't believe that we should walk around on egg shells for the mussies or anyone else.
endquote

I replied with
Therefore you should expect whatever comes you way without complaint
endnote

Nothing double standard about that but of course we already know you are one of those Americans who thinks that Americans should not shoulder responsibility for their actions. So what can we assume from this? you are tolling, ok expected.

FYI, the Jews, Christians and Moslims all follow the same god, they just worship that god in a different way. Dont know much about the Abrahamic religions do you?

Which of course totally screws up the rest of your argument because it indicates that you know even less about other beliefs. My guess is in your case its deliberate but hey ho

However as I have said many times on here there is no excuse for murder just as there is no excuse for enticing hatred.

#128540 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You just haven't slept with Double Fine yet.
<sigh...>
What makes you say that?

#128541 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I howled with laughter when I saw Dawkins banging a guy on the show.
But when I saw Indiana Jones getting raped I thought it was the drugs - "this can't really be happening" but it was! Just like Indiana 4 happened...
Hahahaha! That was funny. Dawkins banging Mr. Garrision (or Mrs. Garrison, he had a sex change)

And who can forget this lovely scene:

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#128542 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing weak about civility and understanding, it shows more humanity than the fu[ckem attitude.
And as Givemeliberty pointed out:
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not to mention there are hundreds of Muslim made movies, tv shows, plays all mocking the Jews their beliefs. Even children's tv shows over there bash the Jews! It looks like they got a small taste of their own medicine and couldn't take it.
<quoted text>
Your beloved mussies murder when offended, and everything can offended them. They can attack on any holiday they wish, or any place they wish, at anytime they wish; but boy can they cry like babies, when attacked on their holidays, or at one of their holy buildings, or at the wrong time of the month!

You want to appease them, you go right ahead! America is trying it, too! One day, we may have a president and a congress, who will not play by the mussies' rules.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#128543 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Hey, just so you know, South Park is my favourite show. And as you know, they insult EVERYBODY - Actors, scientists, Blue collar workers, white collar fat cats, whites, blacks, latinos, jews, gays, christians, scientologists, atheists.... And Tom Cruise.
I absolutely love the show - freedom of speech, right?
Absolutely! I don't much care for the show, so I don't watch it. I damn sure don't commit murder when they attack my group!

#128544 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>If all the guy is responible for is making a movie then what is the point of pointing it out? Is there a consequence that you think he should pay for making the movie? If so then what is the consequence of a girl dressing provacatively? If the girl that got raped for dressing provacatively is the victim the what would that make the film maker ?
That is what I have been saying for two weeks

A person is responsible for their actions

The girl for getting dressed

The rapist for raping the girl

The filmmaker for making the film

The murderers for murder

Welcome to my club

Now to the nub of the matter, take responsibility to the next stage.

If the girl deliberately (any girl, dressed provocatively or not) incited the rapist knowing the possible consequences of her provocation then she is responsible for inciting the rapist.

Even knowing the consequences the filmmaker deliberately edited and dubbed the film before release. It was released with the sole aim of inciting hatred. He is responsible for inciting hatred.

Not me, not you, not joe bloggs, not the girl who was raped and not the Muslims who took against the film

Those same Muslims are responsible for murder.

Tell me, if you deliberately get drunk and then cause a car accident in which another car is knocked off its path into a crowd of schoolchildren. Who is responsible for the death of the schoolchildren?

This is the world of responsibility, when (if) you grow up you will come to realise this

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#128545 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I am not saying that wearing provocative clothing make you guilty of being raped,
Now wait a minute! Your actions helped caused an unstable mind, to think that it was alright to have sex with you; and you don't think you should take any responsibility for that!?!?!? WTF?!?!?

Therefore you should expect whatever comes you way without complaint!!!

Yeah, you have double standards, alright!

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128546 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with you!!!
Right up until "atheists." I mean...gosh, aren't we the only ones who deeply understand the universe?!? We found the one true absence of god!
:)
Mostly agree is good enough for me.

#128547 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Ok you made up my mind...Muslims have no mind. Best not to provoke them.
Just exterminate them all. After all they cannot accept criticism a joke , a stupid movie, being called on unjust or humanitarian matters, foreigners in their country , anything that upsets their view of Allah, poking fun at Mohammad , taking pictures of then licking their camels ass, Jews praying at the dome of the rock, Jews being in Israel, Jews minding their own business. And Jews Period. Americans anywhere else , Americans anywhere in America , America....The fact they are paid attention, the fact they have not been paid attention.
Seems to me... some people are.. just fucking impossible to get along with.
I have an Idea ....its not Anything you did or said and ''its not what you think . What it is...is stupidity called religion.
Whether you like it or not I'm free to poke muh hah med with what ev Vah tool I choose , including films you do not like.
And if you do not like it... close ya eyes baby.
Because America is free to do this .
Don't like it?
Fuvck you!
That's the way it is..and the way it will always be.
Want me to tell you why now?
Yo Aura

Keep out of a discussion if you can't keep emotion out of it.

I agree with freedom of expression.

However, we should know that some things get people hot under the collar, and some topics can even incite violence.

As responsible citizens, let's not add fuel to the fire

#128548 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Screw you DF if you do not like the message, if you do not like the movie.....leave.
And keep your GD hands to yourself, after all it was just a movie.
Now what you are demanding is that I change, when I have placed no demands on you. I only expressed myself how I felt. I am free to do this and have not hurt anyone.
And the response was murder.
Sorry I will murder all of you to be free
to express myself as I wish.
Anything less is not freedom and a demand you have placed on me.
When I start making demands on you , you will understand.
But the only demand I've placed on you is , I've the right to express yourself if you do not like my expression , you have the right to walk away. Or express yourself in rebuttal. much like dis...
Okay, you have expressed yourself.

Now we know you are a prick who cares nothing for others.

Please, I am half your age. Do not embarass yourself by letting a 26 year told tell you to act appropriately.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#128549 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a double standard here? TBS made a statement
I don't believe that we should walk around on egg shells for the mussies or anyone else.
endquote
I replied with
endnote
Nothing double standard about that but of course we already know you are one of those Americans who thinks that Americans should not shoulder responsibility for their actions. So what can we assume from this? you are tolling, ok expected.
No, not trolling. People should not have to walk around on egg shells for anyone, ever. People should be able to wear a shirt or say what they want or make a movie with out worry of getting murdered over it. The expectation of getting killed over an opinion should not be an expectation, ever, for anyone, not just Americans.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

FYI, the Jews, Christians and Moslims all follow the same god, they just worship that god in a different way. Dont know much about the Abrahamic religions do you?
Which of course totally screws up the rest of your argument because it indicates that you know even less about other beliefs. My guess is in your case its deliberate but hey ho
At least you noticed that much.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

However as I have said many times on here there is no excuse for murder just as there is no excuse for enticing hatred.
Hatred can not be encited unless those that hate allow it to be. Why should the world coddle those with thin skins?

#128550 Oct 9, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
And as Givemeliberty pointed out:
<quoted text>
Your beloved mussies murder when offended, and everything can offended them. They can attack on any holiday they wish, or any place they wish, at anytime they wish; but boy can they cry like babies, when attacked on their holidays, or at one of their holy buildings, or at the wrong time of the month!
You want to appease them, you go right ahead! America is trying it, too! One day, we may have a president and a congress, who will not play by the mussies' rules.
Funny that, just yesterday a Brit living in New York was stabbed to death. We shall just have to wait and see if the murderer was Muslim or some other affiliation wont we.

Not too long ago a Brit was shot in the head by the Jewish military for helping Palestinian children across the road. An American was crushed to death by a bulldozer while trying to protect a Palestinian home from destruction

Only 4 months ago a NATO air strike killed 18 civilians at a wedding an Afghanistan

2 months earlier a US Seal killed 16 women and children, 9 of them in their sleep

Take a look at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/...

I think you call it hearts and minds

Honey it works both ways, stop killing people and they will return the favour

#128551 Oct 9, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely! I don't much care for the show, so I don't watch it. I damn sure don't commit murder when they attack my group!
Maybe not you but Aura has threatened it

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#128552 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I have been saying for two weeks
A person is responsible for their actions
The girl for getting dressed
The rapist for raping the girl
The filmmaker for making the film
The murderers for murder
Welcome to my club
Now to the nub of the matter, take responsibility to the next stage.
If the girl deliberately (any girl, dressed provocatively or not) incited the rapist knowing the possible consequences of her provocation then she is responsible for inciting the rapist.
How does a person encourage someone to rape them?
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Even knowing the consequences the filmmaker deliberately edited and dubbed the film before release. It was released with the sole aim of inciting hatred. He is responsible for inciting hatred.
Not me, not you, not joe bloggs, not the girl who was raped and not the Muslims who took against the film
Those same Muslims are responsible for murder.
Tell me, if you deliberately get drunk and then cause a car accident in which another car is knocked off its path into a crowd of schoolchildren. Who is responsible for the death of the schoolchildren?
This is the world of responsibility, when (if) you grow up you will come to realise this
Drunk driving and killing people while drunk driving is totally different than making a stupid trailer making fun of a stupid religion.
Again . I have yet to hear of people getting murdered over the movies, UltraChrist, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, Religulous, or even Wickerman. So far only one religion has killed people in recent times over criticisms. I am sure that Theodore Van Gogh deserved what he got for his incitement as well?

#128553 Oct 9, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Now wait a minute! Your actions helped caused an unstable mind, to think that it was alright to have sex with you; and you don't think you should take any responsibility for that!?!?!? WTF?!?!?
Therefore you should expect whatever comes you way without complaint!!!
Yeah, you have double standards, alright!
Now wait a minute, that I the attitude of the rapist

As I have already said it the girl incites the rapist then she is responsible for inciting the rapist. Since when has getting dressed been incitement?

But it does tell us what you get up to (or dream about) when you go the club, methinks you believe we should all dress in sackcloth and ashes to quell you sick mind right?

Oh and once again thanks for cherry picking

You have perverted standards

#128554 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo Aura
Keep out of a discussion if you can't keep emotion out of it.
I agree with freedom of expression.
However, we should know that some things get people hot under the collar, and some topics can even incite violence.
As responsible citizens, let's not add fuel to the fire
Not only humble but so polite and understanding

#128555 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>No, not trolling. People should not have to walk around on egg shells for anyone, ever. People should be able to wear a shirt or say what they want or make a movie with out worry of getting murdered over it. The expectation of getting killed over an opinion should not be an expectation, ever, for anyone, not just Americans.
<quoted text>At least you noticed that much.
<quoted text>Hatred can not be encited unless those that hate allow it to be. Why should the world coddle those with thin skins?
It is true that people (free people) can do what they want however that does not excuse them from the responsibility of considering what there actions would do to others.

OK so now we know you are deliberately ignorant. Well done.

You really do not know much about people do you? Tell me how was the current US hatred of the Muslim (not the terrorist but the Muslim) incited?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 1 hr chris toal 39
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr thetruth 2,598
Evidence for God! 3 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 3 hr thetruth 162
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 1,451
More from around the web