Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#128583 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Not until I get my rum!
Where's my rum?!?
yer rum is in me bum.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128584 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Are you saying that if a woman wears provocative clothing, it's partially her fault that she was raped?
Interesting point. A father at work had this to say about young females in provocative dress at public functions. It attracts attention from everyone. Even the attention they do not want. The psychos, for example. In large crowds they are there. Every psycho in the crowd loves the way they dress.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#128585 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha!
'cause you said female bodies were nicer :p
Why are there so many more painting of naked women than men?

Donít get me wrong, a nicely muscled male body is extremely attractive to cuddle up to but artistically the female form has them beat 8 times out of 10

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128586 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is really getting to you isnít it?
I assume you are one who thinks everyone is responsible for his own actions except Americans
After all you have the freedom to do what the f*ck you want to any f*cker who disagrees with you and f*ck the consequences Ė right?
Just so long as you are not muslim and you agree 100% with you then everything is fine Ė right.
Honey, itís a big world, you donít like how a different culture in that big world lives then tough, learn to live with it
No Christine , I understand liability for what we do.
I do not support what the filmmaker put in film, I do support the freedom and right to do so. Yes he could have used better judgement , if he is guilty it is that ,. Guilt for exercising poor judgement.

Now lets talk about the people murdered , they were guilty of what?

#128587 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>Not true.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
I was just responding to it being used in another comment. I did not bring it up.
I believe that it was you that satated that it is possible for a woman to incite rape upon herself..
My apologies, It was Aura Mytha

To which I replied

Then you jumped on the bandwagon with

Followed by TBS in

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128588 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to "murder" all of us to be free?
Uh...pardon me if I don't accept that.
You aren't trying to take my freedom are you?
It only applies to those who would try to do so.
Now what would you do to be free to choose to do things like
go to school in Hawaii or whatever?

#128589 Oct 9, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
I suppose that we can blame the makers of the Batman movie for this nutjob..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21811...
Tell me did the makers of the batman movie make the film?

Well then it is obvious that they are responsible for making the film

And you stupid and patty foot stamping will never change that

James Holmes is responsible for the murders

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128590 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a double standard here? TBS made a statement
ďI don't believe that we should walk around on egg shells for the mussies or anyone else.ď
endquote
I replied with
Therefore you should expect whatever comes you way without complaint
endnote
Nothing double standard about that but of course we already know you are one of those Americans who thinks that Americans should not shoulder responsibility for their actions. So what can we assume from this? you are tolling, ok expected.
FYI, the Jews, Christians and Moslims all follow the same god, they just worship that god in a different way. Donít know much about the Abrahamic religions do you?
Which of course totally screws up the rest of your argument because it indicates that you know even less about other beliefs. My guess is in your case itís deliberate but hey hoÖ
However as I have said many times on here there is no excuse for murder just as there is no excuse for enticing hatred.
But you have become a Muslim apologist, our way is if someone is offended by someones Else's actions then sue them in court , if you have been wronged and "damaged" you can sue them.

That is the way it works Christine , no some Muslim made me mad so I have to go kill one. That's apparently acceptable behavior to Muslims. We all get the filmmaker was wrong , but the response is unacceptable and beneath me as much as you are for apologizing
for it.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128591 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, you have expressed yourself.
Now we know you are a prick who cares nothing for others.
Please, I am half your age. Do not embarass yourself by letting a 26 year told tell you to act appropriately.

Look I am emotionless in the matter. I really think the filmmaker was wrong. But the truth is what does the film have to do with sentencing the specific people who were murdered to die?
If I go to a movie and don't like it I will get up and leave.
It doesn't cause me to kill a German from watching a film about Nazis.

#128592 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No Christine , I understand liability for what we do.
I do not support what the filmmaker put in film, I do support the freedom and right to do so. Yes he could have used better judgement , if he is guilty it is that ,. Guilt for exercising poor judgement.
Now lets talk about the people murdered , they were guilty of what?
I was not apportioning guilt I was highlighting human responsibility. He made the film he was therefor responsible for making the film. No one else, just him and no matter how loud your threats and big your gun or you are never going to change that.

He deliberately edited and dubbed the film after production with the sole intention of inciting hatred against a particular faith, a faith that he is known to violently oppose. Whether he is American or the man from mars will not change that either.

His judgement was not just poor, it was appalling. It is my view based on the known evidence that it caused the reaction that he meant it to cause. He hoped it would stir up trouble he hoped it would cause riots across the Muslim world. Perhaps he got some sort of perverse excitement from the reaction to the film until the murder that such riots inevitably cause.

As they say, itís all fun until someone looses and eye.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128593 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not you but Aura has threatened it

That isn't true Christine , I only stated I would fight for my freedom against those who would try and take it.
In fact I have at least 150,000,000 friends that will with me.
They call us Americans^^

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128594 Oct 9, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
From what I have read about rape it usually has nothing to do with how a woman dresses or even looks. Many times it really isn't about the sex but exercising power over someone it's a violent attack that can as easily happen to a grandma in a pants suit as a party girl with her clothes painted on. The attacker acts based on opportunity not how a woman is dressed or even looks.
<quoted text>

So the murderous bastards would kill anyway but the film is just an excuse!

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128595 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Are you saying that if a woman wears provocative clothing, it's partially her fault that she was raped?
Only if the rapist was a member of "their group".

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128596 Oct 9, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo
Methinks she was looking at it from the rapist's POV
Think of it this way: Although she MAY, you won't send your teen daughter out in the street, to walk in the most dangerous part of town at night. Yes, the law is on her side, but best not do anything stupid.
What me and Christine is saying is YES, you have freedoms and liberties. But use them responsibly.
People like Aura somehow twists that message, one of just exercising one's rights responsibly into some kind of anti-American rhetoric. But I think you understand it a bit better
No DF I have not twisted anything , merely stated it is a right to express yourself. I agree the film was a bad idea , but
the response was off the scale of what is acceptable.
It is not the freedom to express yourself that is at fault, nor the filmmaker for doing so(barring any laws broken in making the film) but it is unacceptable to murder someone because I didn't like it, and unacceptable to America (or me) that someone would.

#128597 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> But you have become a Muslim apologist, our way is if someone is offended by someones Else's actions then sue them in court , if you have been wronged and "damaged" you can sue them.
That is the way it works Christine , no some Muslim made me mad so I have to go kill one. That's apparently acceptable behavior to Muslims. We all get the filmmaker was wrong , but the response is unacceptable and beneath me as much as you are for apologizing
for it.
Your way is irrelevant outside America

Why the hell is wrong with you? I am not apologising for anything here. I am trying to point out what responsibility is, unlike last nights threats it now appears that itís a concept that you have only just said you understand. Each and every person is responsible for his or her own actions. As far as I know there is no law anywhere to countermand that

Reading the posts for the last couple of weeks I very much doubt whether you all get that the filmmaker was wrong. TBS, LT, Buck and others applaud his actions. It seems itís a very American way to cheer on people who incite hatred.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128598 Oct 9, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No Christine did though.

#128599 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No Christine did though.
Not only do you offer threats you lie too. Well done and your credibility sunk even further.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128600 Oct 9, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Your way is irrelevant outside America
Why the hell is wrong with you? I am not apologising for anything here. I am trying to point out what responsibility is, unlike last nights threats it now appears that itís a concept that you have only just said you understand. Each and every person is responsible for his or her own actions. As far as I know there is no law anywhere to countermand that
Reading the posts for the last couple of weeks I very much doubt whether you all get that the filmmaker was wrong. TBS, LT, Buck and others applaud his actions. It seems itís a very American way to cheer on people who incite hatred.

No my way is not irrelevant outside America. In fact British laws
are nearly the same in the matter. If you are wronged by someone "you" can sue them, but it doesn't give you the right to kill someone because my movie made you mad.

#128601 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That isn't true Christine , I only stated I would fight for my freedom against those who would try and take it.
In fact I have at least 150,000,000 friends that will with me.
They call us Americans^^
You said and I quote

Sorry I will murder all of you to be free
Endquote

So not only do you lie you have set the scene for how others are going to react to you in future.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#128602 Oct 9, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Look I am emotionless in the matter.
Uhh Nope.

Case in point: Fu[k you! If you don't like it, fuvck you!

That was you, five pages ago.
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I really think the filmmaker was wrong. But the truth is what does the film have to do with sentencing the specific people who were murdered to die?
If I go to a movie and don't like it I will get up and leave.
It doesn't cause me to kill a German from watching a film about Nazis.
Ah okay. Nice moderated response. I will reply in kind.

I do not condone violence by anyone. Yes, the filmmaker has the right to expression. And yes, so does the people burning US flags/ Union Jacks.

But not condoning violence does NOT mean that I recommend ticking people off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Denisova 18,848
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 17 hr Amused 25
News Confessions of a black atheist 17 hr thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web