Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
123,961 - 123,980 of 224,084 Comments Last updated 26 min ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it's funny how Christians now embrace Jews after thousands of years of persecution ..
.. why is that ??..
I always considered the Jews a part of my heritage. Most US males are circumcised. A practice started by the Jews and widely practiced in the United States.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
How long will it be before the US becomes a basket case and the laughing stock of the world.
Our nation was the first to fly aircraft and the only nation in the world to send men to the moon. I could spend all day talking about our innovations as a nation.

We will never be a “basket case.”

We send more aid to poor countries every year then all the other nations combined. We are generous and the most advanced Super Power in the entire world. Had we not intervened during WW II. Your stupid ass would be speaking Japanese right now.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I always considered the Jews a part of my heritage. Most US males are circumcised. A practice started by the Jews and widely practiced in the United States.
"It had no face, no personality. It was like a martian."

-Elaine Benes on the uncircumsised. LOL

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
Tomorrow, Columbus Day is observed in some places in the U.S. In California, public offices are closed.
So here's the question: Should Columbus Day be recognized? Were he and his explorers good people who should be celebrated today? Were there good or bad consequences from their discovery/colonization?
I guess you won't be in traffic court after all.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is the theoretical framework for the discipline of biology.
Yes !!!

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
The law has nothing to do with it.
Freedom of speech exists, yes, but one must excercise it with discretion.
Think of the blade falling the other way - how many Muslims burnt the American flag after 9/11? It is a statment they made, and they are free to make it.
Just because they MAY make it, does not mean that they SHOULD. I find the film as disgusting as I found the flag burning after 9/11.
People must excercise common sense. If I am white, going to the black part of town and burning a Malcolm X/ Nelson Mandela poster will probably get me beaten up.
Yes, the boy in question has a RIGHT to air his views, even if it is supremacist BS. But we have to accept that our views may incite anger and in some cases, rage.
Just because there is no law against flicking boogers in a restaurant, is no reason to start doing so.
I tip my hat to you Dear Sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you won't be in traffic court after all.
No.

Not today, and hopefully not at all.

I am respectful of the traffic laws.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Not today, and hopefully not at all.
I am respectful of the traffic laws.
I was talking about your job as a defender in traffic court.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about your job as a defender in traffic court.
Oh!!
I have no such job.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
What, that the bishop of Alexandria at the time lead a mob that attacked and killed Hypatia because she had the nerve to be a woman doing scholarship at a pagan temple that dualed as a library?
<quoted text>
The encouraging of the study of ancient texts didn't happen until the renaisance. Until that time, the priests were quite happy to scrape off earlier writings on parchment to replace them by their own records. Fortunately, they occasionally did a poor job and we can recover the originals (like the Archimedes palimpset).
<quoted text>
And this is at least a good point. I would suggest the book by Toby Huff comparing Medieval Europe and the Islamic world at the time. There were certainly institutions in Europe that encouraged the scientific revolution and the church at least occasionally supported those institutions, although always timidly and often retracting its support. Ultimately, it was looking for support of its own dogma and anything that went against that dogma was heretical and would lead to ex-communication. Even Aquinas was ex-communicated. Many of the brave men that lead to the development of logic were priests, but they were also often rejected by the church at the time.
<quoted text>
I am thinking the same about you. You clearly misinterpret history to your liking a lot.
Your views of history, and other facets of life, are very simplified. Just like one would expect of someone that read books without understanding the complexities of the time, and blindly accepts the spin the author of the book puts on the accounts. Human relations were every bit as complex then as now. Your training turns those people into things, not people.

Do a wiki on Hypatia and you will see it was more complex than what you stated. BTW, I believe it was Julius Caesar that burned the library first, the big one. Accidentally.

You are judging without sufficient information and with insufficient judgmental abilities.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're an apologist for the Catholic Church.
What next, the Inquisition was like a fraternity prank?
That from a guy that puts all theists on trial and condemns them and their morality according to his. You paint theists as animals, uneducated and dumb. What next if you had the power? Kill them?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
Not if it violates the Constitution.
<quoted text>
Which doesn't change the fact that it still overrules majority rule.
<quoted text>
Nope, they are appointed by Presidents and confirmed by the Senate, who *are* democratically elected.
<quoted text>
Nope. Just as I don't worship Presidents and Senators and Representatives and Governors and County Councils, but I still respect their authority.
Their authority runs your life.

You have 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court. No atheists. For life. What if they interpret things a way you don't like regarding religion?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Nope. Just as I don't worship Presidents and Senators and Representatives and Governors and County Councils, but I still respect their authority.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Which doesn't require me to "worship" them.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You have 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court. No atheists.
And no Protestants, no Mormons, no Muslims, no Buddhists, and no Hindus. So what? It's not possible for a 9-member body to be representative of every possible religious belief (or of those who lack theistic belief).
Dave Nelson wrote:
What if they interpret things a way you don't like regarding religion?
Then we wait until the makeup of the USSC changes and then bring another case that could overturn the previous ruling. Just as Brown v. Board of Education overturned Plessy v. Ferguson.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Which doesn't require me to "worship" them.
<quoted text>
And no Protestants, no Mormons, no Muslims, no Buddhists, and no Hindus. So what? It's not possible for a 9-member body to be representative of every possible religious belief (or of those who lack theistic belief).
<quoted text>
Then we wait until the makeup of the USSC changes and then bring another case that could overturn the previous ruling. Just as Brown v. Board of Education overturned Plessy v. Ferguson.
You are confused.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That from a guy that puts all theists on trial and condemns them and their morality according to his. You paint theists as animals, uneducated and dumb. What next if you had the power? Kill them?
Show me where I have done that.

Show me where I have condemned all theists and painted them as animals, uneducated and dumb.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have 6 Catholics and 3 Jews on the Supreme Court. No atheists. For life. What if they interpret things a way you don't like regarding religion?
That would be awful.

And it's the principal reason to reelect President Obama.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

lightbeamrider wrote:
Some make the connect. i would point out the obvious connections between Exodus and Ipuwer is rejected based on dating only a few understand who probably have the bible down as fictional until proven factual.
It's agreed upon by relevant and legitimate archaeologists and scholars that the Ipuwer Papyrus is a copy of a story that originated hundreds of years earlier based upon references and earlier stories from 1850-1600 BCE, with some portions dating to 2181-2055 BC during the First intermediate period.
lightbeamrider wrote:
The two camps assume different time lines. The Hyskos were the biblical Amelekites. Ermitage is about some catastrophe which happened years ago. If the revisionists were wrong about David why should we assume they are right about Moses and the Exodus?
Yet the biblical details claiming the David rules an empire isn't an accurate depiction, the agreed upon consensus is that based upon archaeological evidence, and if David existed, the region of influence barely qualified as a small tribal kingdom.

Some suggest that David may have been a lifelong vassal of Achish, the Philistine king of Gath.

Hardly the descriptions put forth in the biblical account, which makes you wonder just how accurate anything is in the bible.

Is it nothing but embellishment after embellishment?

Would apologists admit that if it were?

Doubtful.

As a matter of fact, apologists don't, in spite of the evidence.

"Today more than 90% of scholars agree that there was no Exodus from Egypt, 80% feel that that the Conquest of the Land did not take place as described in the Bible, and about 50% agree that there was no powerful United Monarchy." - Professor Israel Finkelstein, The Bible Unearthed.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to be clear. Naked women appeal to other women as well or am I the only one?
I like in between meal snacks too.:)>
Metal on metal works for a minute , but it will end in a disaster me thinks? What you really mean is you have no use for men, um.....until you need one. You may not need one for everything but you will need one for something. Perhaps you should not deny one that needs you for something too?:)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should consider that heritage to be Egyptian?

"Sixth Dynasty (2345–2181 BC) tomb artwork in Egypt is thought to be the oldest documentary evidence of circumcision, the most ancient depiction being a bas-relief from the necropolis at Saqqara (ca. 2400 BC) with the inscriptions reading: "The ointment is to make it acceptable." and "Hold him so that he does not fall". In the oldest written account, by an Egyptian named Uha, in the 23rd century BC, he describes a mass circumcision and boasts of his ability to stoically endure the pain: "When I was circumcised, together with one hundred and twenty men...there was none thereof who hit out, there was none thereof who was hit, and there was none thereof who scratched and there was none thereof who was scratched."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_male_...

Probably.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

<quoted text>
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are confused.
Funny that you can't seem to demonstrate that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 21 min DonPanic 21,384
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Charchar king 192
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr religionisillness 834
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 5 hr religionisillness 361
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 10 hr Patrick 16
Of Interest InTheNews 10 hr Patrick 3
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Patrick 1,285
•••
•••