Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128163 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I just finished reading that article you posted - it's interesting and presents a thoughtful perspective from the "Bible is accurate"
That is not what i expected. Thank you for taking the time and reading the article.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128164 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Oh, I don't deny that some Israelites were likely held as slaves by the Ancient Egyptians, but I deny that the Bible is 100% historically accurate.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Reductionist. Like saying i don't deny some Jews were killed in the holocaust but the numbers are way overblown.
No, it's not like that at all. The Bible is a mythology. It's not divinely inspired, no miracles happened, they're all fantasy for believers like you.

You believe in the Bible so for you it's literally true - or so you are claiming here. You said you didn't believe it was literally true a while back. So, which is it? Are you shockingly, religiously naive or can you admit that the Bible is not divinely inspired?
That is the opinion of one person quoted in the article.
Hey, it was your article. Even they aren't taking Exodus at its literal translation - that should tell you something.
Read Exodus 1-2.
Post it or a link and I will.
It is not all about you.
No, Exodus is mostly about a fictional past. A story to unify a people. These kinds of things are not uncommon.
Oh, some parts of the Bible have some historical truths in them.
<quoted text from Hiding:>Yet you have to be careful about accepting it as accurate - it's a book that is designed to promote a cultural identity for the Jews. Several different versions were stitched together by an editor hundreds of years after the events described - and he altered them. We know this, Bible scholars know this - and here you are claiming it's 100% accurate???
You are overstating the case. Name some parts that were stitched together.
Hardly. Exodus is one such story acknowledged to be stitched together. Genesis, too.

The poster G_O_D knows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more about this than I ever will - more than you, too. He could teach you, if you would listen.
There are factual mistakes in the New. I will not point them out to you.
Don't shy from the truth. It demeans you.
What is your limitation? Don't answer that. They come across as obvious anyway.
Mine? Quite a lot, actually. But you claim to know, so no worries. Can you recommend any solutions?

:p
;p
:P

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128165 Oct 7, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>"Hardened atheists." Lol. Funny term.
So, you are here solely to selflessly offer your services to the defense of your belief against the lying, hardened atheists?
And sorry if changing minds was the wrong term. Perhaps I should have said if you want people to take you seriously, stop citing scripture.
Back in atheist prison, it was so rough...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128166 Oct 7, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering when Dave and LightBeam would become bedfellows.
Moonbeam <3 Lightbeam

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128167 Oct 7, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to the world of lightbeamrider, where everything is a conspiracy designed to obscure the bible unless it supports his own view 100%. There is no amount of information or legitimate science you can present to him that will change his position that conspiracies are everywhere.
Christian scholars are in on it. Scholars from places such as Harvard and other universities are in on it, scientists, the !NWO!, and everyone is in on it, unless...
They support lightbeamrider's views.
At that point, it doesn't matter if a scholar has received a PhD in 6 months at the Wiley Coyote Institute, as long as he supports lightbeamrider's view.
All others are inferior, revisionist, and !BLASPHEMERS!
Ah, is that how he works. He has simultaneously claimed that the Bible must be taken literally while acknowledging it has factual errors in it.

Meh. He's welcome to believe whatever he wants to believe.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128168 Oct 7, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Don't worry, I won't leave a stain.
Oh, no problem.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128169 Oct 7, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is not what i expected. Thank you for taking the time and reading the article.
Except for the disturbing part I mentioned to you that you cut out of my post...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#128170 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, is that how he works. He has simultaneously claimed that the Bible must be taken literally while acknowledging it has factual errors in it.
Meh. He's welcome to believe whatever he wants to believe.
That's been my experience. I went out of my way to supply sourced information(not just bare assertions), from >Christian< scholars, from numerous viewpoints etc.., and his rebuttals consisted of - you guessed it - bare assertions and incite emotion based words or phrase. No real rebuttal, and that was to the portions of the post he replied to, not the parts he creatively edited out.

I almost invariably respond to any and every post in full, to the point of filling an entire 4000 word limit - and then some - because I don't want to deflect away or not confront every point raised.

I ignored one of his once(that issue had been addressed in essence, previously), and he was in butt hurt city.

Yet, it's commonplace for him to edit out entire portions of your response, and use those incite emotion words "REVISIONIST!...PROPAGAND A!...ANTI CHRISTIAN!..YOU NON SUPERNATURALIST!, to what remains.

So, I dunno, maybe it'll be different for you, but I suspect not.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#128171 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the disturbing part I mentioned to you that you cut out of my post...
þ)

mmhmmm....

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128172 Oct 7, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been my experience. I went out of my way to supply sourced information(not just bare assertions), from >Christian< scholars, from numerous viewpoints etc..,
You select quote. Also quote Priests from the 500s nobody knows.
and his rebuttals consisted of - you guessed it - bare assertions and incite emotion based words or phrase. No real rebuttal, and that was to the portions of the post he replied to, not the parts he creatively edited out.
I almost invariably respond to any and every post in full, to the point of filling an entire 4000 word limit - and then some - because I don't want to deflect away or not confront every point raised.
I ignored one of his once(that issue had been addressed in essence, previously), and he was in butt hurt city.
Yet, it's commonplace for him to edit out entire portions of your response, and use those incite emotion words "REVISIONIST!...PROPAGAND A!...ANTI CHRISTIAN!..YOU NON SUPERNATURALIST!, to what remains.
Stop whining. Seem to think you are free to print propanganda without being called on your shots. Still believe Jesus probably existed and had some followers? Wheras the experts in history have him down as baptised by John and killed under Pilate? You are in denial. Looks like i get free rent in your head, since you take the time to post about me in the third person. Get a life.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#128173 Oct 7, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You select quote. Also quote Priests from the 500s nobody knows. <quoted text> Stop whining. Seem to think you are free to print propanganda without being called on your shots. Still believe Jesus probably existed and had some followers? Wheras the experts in history have him down as baptised by John and killed under Pilate? You are in denial. Looks like i get free rent in your head, since you take the time to post about me in the third person. Get a life.
<grabs lightbeamrider in a headlock and dishevels your hair> awwww...

Don't be angry

It's okay.

You'll win an argument someday.

Maybe you should pray.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128174 Oct 7, 2012
I have to say something that may interest you. I shouldn’t be posting it here – no idea why I’m telling this secret to you at all, really. But here it goes. We discovered a massive anomaly in our genetic research. As many of you know, I’m investigating a Vit A pathway involved in malaria…anyways, we ordered a copy of the chromosome containing the pathway and sequenced some foods important to this early Chinese population where the mutation evolved (ha! Evolution…oh…read on)– wet rice, pig and a kind of fruit.

I was shocked to notice an identical copy in the rice – impossible! I thought I’d contaminated the copy. Evolution doesn’t do that; each species has its own phylogeny, right? So I re-did the sequencing and it came out the same. I did it ten times more that night, not getting any sleep, and each time, the same. This strand of rice and human genetic material were identical. So I sequenced the pig – same results. Totally impossible! They found me sleeping in the lab and forced me to go home so I didn’t share my results with anyone that night.

Going over the results – again and again, so many times – I found a fatty-acid in a ring shape that contains a Higgs-Boson particle. No kidding, right? It should not be there. Fatty acids don’t bond to DNA like that, but there it was. I think other studies missed it b/c when you sequence DNA you just don’t use fatty acids, so the tests ignore them. Anyways, turns out it’s a controlling instruction set. It directs other controller genes (called HOX genes) to produce a given set of *species* specific information. As of yet I don’t know how it does this, but I’m guessing b/c epigenetics, via a calcium feedback loop, are monitoring the womb/early environment and going “ok, human” then communicating this information to the C-fatty acid.

Why are we calling it a C-fatty acid? Well…this is really hard for me…evolution doesn’t work this way. It cannot work this way. All species cannot have identical genetics (but not identical mutation – microevolution, right?) and a master controller. So it’s quite clear species on Earth are Designed. I hope you’ll forgive me that I named the fatty-acid “Creator-fatty acid.” I’m still an atheist, so I can’t say which deity made this, but…

Yeah. So we’re not going to publish. I can’t overturn accepted theory – what would biology do? We’re just going to destroy these results and toss out the datasets. Maybe 20 years from now, biological science will be ready. But not now.

Thank you for listening.
Large

United States

#128175 Oct 7, 2012
www.GetvipNews[dot]com/Atheism -requires-as-much-faith-as-rel igion

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128176 Oct 7, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
That's been my experience. I went out of my way to supply sourced information(not just bare assertions), from >Christian< scholars, from numerous viewpoints etc.., and his rebuttals consisted of - you guessed it - bare assertions and incite emotion based words or phrase. No real rebuttal, and that was to the portions of the post he replied to, not the parts he creatively edited out.
I for one enjoyed your posts!!!

:)

Found them highly informative.

Chicago, IL

#128177 Oct 7, 2012
+1 :)

It's the well versed free thinkers that bring me back to this forum.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Linker Jaxxx

San Diego, CA

#128178 Oct 7, 2012
discocrisco wrote:
Maybe, the Christians got it right on the God thing. What they didn't know that is there is intelligent life right and God manifested himself in another way than us.
And there is millions of our civilizations among this universe and millions of ways God revealed himslf to them
But see it was none of business to know how he did it. It is beyond our feeble little minds. Us humans think we are terminally unique. Guess what. We are not. We are little specks in the infinite, large cosmos.
LINKER , JUMP OVER TO MORE ON THE MT EASY EXPOSE OATH BREAKING GOD FRAUDS OF THE STATE OF MONTANA ! Good to see more direct nose pins on states slimebucket of USA exposed open racist Chawbacon clan trash frauds .
Linker Jaxxx

San Diego, CA

#128179 Oct 7, 2012
LINKER, as more and more directlt trap and expose states sections as actual pathological liars attempting failed state crime conceals, its so good to see more and more direct USA BAD PRESS ON PIN DOTTED SECTIONS ALL THE TIME.
Linker Jaxxx

San Diego, CA

#128180 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
linker, sneaky phalus pete is a GOD FRAUD, jump over to more USA religious spreads on the MT open racist frauds employed directly through states small fry klan trash sections of open state crime conceals.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#128181 Oct 7, 2012
timn17 wrote:
text>no, I'm sure the Jews would have made excellentslaves :)
08Oct12.....

.....BobLoblah has several Jewish slaves presently and several hundred Egyptian slaves, Middle-Eastern slaves, European slaves, and far Eastrern slaves.

Ps:.....along with dozens of slaves from da West.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#128182 Oct 7, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Moonbeam <3 Lightbeam
08Oct12.....

...dis hateful, hypocritical, hAtheist 'hidingDumbView' continues to spume a despicable rant.

.....Speaking from experience 'of course', she mades dis comment... as 'hidingDumbView' and 'hateA'intNecessarilySo' have been in da sack for a long, long time now.

Ps:....Each von is more lousy lay dan da udder.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 min Eman 22,519
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 3 hr emperorjohn 26
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr Patrick 506
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 8 hr cancer suxs 5
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 10 hr Thinking 140
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 11 hr Thinking 4,118
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 11 hr The Dude 357
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE