Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128054 Oct 6, 2012
Lol, Dave. Nice link.
Really, I'm not sure if coffee or chocolate is good for me or if they cause cancer. It does seem that every other day a new scientific "study" is telling me something different....

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#128055 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know its composition. We do know locations, though.
<quoted text>
Black holes are not part of the dark matter. That is one aspect that we do know (if it were, the effects on the background radiation would be quite different).

http://phys.org/news/2011-12-nasa-satellite-r...

Location hidden

#128056 Oct 6, 2012
Oh, G_O_D....
If the water is "gathered into one place", logic would say that the land is also "gathered into one place"....
Do I have to spell out everything for you?
A "bronze age goat herder" knew that. How??

“ Woodstock Anyone?”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#128057 Oct 6, 2012
Belief in anything without proof is faith. The closest thing to proof, has become new captures with new equipment by paranormal investigators. Believe them or not, it's still closer to proof than an atheistic philosophy.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#128064 Oct 6, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a sentence.
Can you tell what's missing?
Geez dude!
It's not?

Oh, I get it!!

"This" is a pronoun, not a sentence.

Or did you blow it and mean "that"?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128065 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, G_O_D....
If the water is "gathered into one place", logic would say that the land is also "gathered into one place"....
Do I have to spell out everything for you?
A "bronze age goat herder" knew that. How??
You have one of the greatest minds of the 21st century BC.

Please continue polishing your crook.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#128066 Oct 6, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>So, what is under the water in the sea, ocean or a lake? Ground, the difference is dry or wet and guess what, water makes ground wet.
Yep. They twist a nice myth into a useless pile of crap.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128067 Oct 6, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. and, still, Mormonism is the fastest growing faith in the world ..
.. they have great CEOs, a well organized staff and magnificent temples ..
.. and when you die, you rule your very own planet with your spouse, children and dog ..
"Heaven, I'm in Heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak;
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek."
Wow, I'm totally becoming Mormon then!

What're the drawbacks?

Since: Sep 10

San Clemente, CA

#128068 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not?
Oh, I get it!!
"This" is a pronoun, not a sentence.
Or did you blow it and mean "that"?
You blew it.

What else is new?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128069 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes are proven in the sense that there are compact gravitational sources that are so small that they cannot be anything else. Similarly, the location of dark matter can actually be mapped out using gravitational lensing techniques. The main issue with dark matter is its composition, not whether it exists. Even there, we know it cannot interact strongly with electromagnetism and it does interact via gravity.
These are no 'faith' in the sense of religious faith. This is using actual observations, comparing it to our models of how gravity and electromagnetism (as well as particle physics, etc) to understand what we see. Past the initial speculation, we have many follow-up observations that confirm that both black holes and dark matter exist and many of their properties.
You mean black holes aren't soul sucking, super dense alien ice cream makers?!?

Riverside Redneck told me they were!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128070 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Go on, poly. Excuse it all you want. Black hole & dark matter have NOT been proven. So then how could they "explain" anything? How could they be "evidence" for anyhting? Atheists don't have faith in the religious sense, but they DO have faith...
Writing to you is like beating a dead salamander.

1. Einstein's theories predict black holes
2. Einstein's theories on relativity have not been shown to be incorrect, ever (in fact all GPS systems rely on them every moment, so his theory is tested every time someone uses a GPS device)
3. We can measure how stars move
4. We have found massive objects that manipulate stars, are extremely small and utterly dark
5. These things do exactly as Einstein's theories predict: they suck in matter and energy, spray matter and energy away, shine in X-ray production (except for the hole, which is dark) and so on.
6. For all intents and purposes they are black holes

Yet here you are saying "no, we can't prove it! We can't, we can't, we can't!"

Well, that's cute and sweet of you, baby, but your protest isn't worth noting.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128071 Oct 6, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
You were talking about dark matter, this link is for the biggest dark matter experiment taking place in the United States. I would have thought you could have figured that out. It's also where I work.
No kidding! What do you do there?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#128072 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I'm totally becoming Mormon then!
What're the drawbacks?
.. hi ya, my little poophead..

.. drawbacks? Very few. No caffeine, no drugs, no alcohol, no sex outside of marriage, 10% tithe, 3 hour Sunday worship, 2-hour Monday family night, regular Priesthood (Males) or Relief Society meetings (females), morning/evening pray, grace before every meal ..........

.. know you're exited now! Who wouldn't be? PM me your address and phone number and we'll have two young, handsome church elder missionaries (male or female) visit you. Best of all, you'll receive a FREE Book of Mormon. Reserve your place in the Celestial Kingdom today !!..

Location hidden

#128073 Oct 6, 2012
Hiding, you can post all the genius' conjecture all you want.
You can also insult me all you want.
What you can't do is:
Prove black holes.
Prove dark matter.
*sigh*

Location hidden

#128074 Oct 6, 2012
No, hiding...
Black holes are those things you chased in prison....
poly told us all about it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128075 Oct 6, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>So, are you upset with my parents, because at 16, they told me that for the last 18 years they have been hoping for a child.
You forgot the "?"

And, yes, I am upset at your parents for how they treated you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128076 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hiding, you can post all the genius' conjecture all you want.
You can also insult me all you want.
What you can't do is:
Prove black holes.
Prove dark matter.
*sigh*
I wasn't actually insulting you above, but describing how hard it is to communicate with you, since you don't seem capable of understanding how science works. This might constitute insulting you, if you think that you actually understand science or learn quickly.

But now that I know I can insult you all I want, with your permission, wooohhoooo!

Your shoes are blue.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128077 Oct 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Regarding to the story of the Exodus.
{Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence}
Good point. That's why I posted links to archaeologist's discussing their findings that the pyramid laborers weren't slaves. You subsequently denied this without any evidence.

I'm curious, does the Bible actually say "The Jews built those damn pyramids"? I ask for two reasons:

1. If not, there's no reason (for you) to argue that the pyramid laborers were slaves
2. Egypt had slaves, they were just doing other stuff. If the Bible doesn't actually say that the Jews were building the pyramids, why can't you assume they were household slaves?

Doesn't the Bible claim that Jews lived in houses as slaves in Egypt? It says something about putting the mark on the door of each house where a Jewish family lived so God, who is supposed to be omniscient, wouldn't kill their firstborn son?

The laborers who worked on the pyramids seem to have lived in dorms, not houses.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128078 Oct 6, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
"And God said,“Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so." Genesis 1:9
WOW! God evaporates a mud puddle!
ROFLMAO
The God effect.

"Hey, our pond is gone because of this drought!"

"The God effect."

"Ah, what can you do?"

"Call the insurance company."

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128079 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Here, this is a simple description of arky methods, starting at part three for you. Please look at the pictures:
You must assume everyone who does not see things the way you do is stupid, which would include me with you ignorant assumptions. In 127949 you stated river to blood as figurative and did not answer my question. Dismissed as opinion.
1. they are trained professionals.
And they have agendas and assumptions like you do. You have mininalists who are revisionists which assumes little or no support for biblical history. They denied Davidic kingdom until discoveries put them in th minority on that one. If they are wrong about David, why should we assume they are right about Moses and the Exodus? They also suggest Israel was created in the Hellenistic period.(323BC-146 or 31BC) Here are some of the players.
http://bibleapologetics.wordpress.com/tag/min...
You don't just fly out to Israel and say "hey, I'd like to dig up Jericho. Yeah. Really. Thanks." They spend their undergraduate doing digs. Their graduate degree doing digs. Their summers doing digs. Then they get paid to do digs.
2. they write down their research methodologies in two places: on their grant applications and in their peer reviewed, published data.
Yawn.
Just because you are utterly ignorant about all things archaeology doesn't mean that archaeologists don't know what they're doing.
Everybody is ignorant except you and the minimalists. Got that.
Don't! Go read them. Go read replications of study. Read their backgrounds - are they biased? Do they have religious affiliation? Who is supporting their research? What have they done before?
Thanks. Have no interest in digging in dirt with toothbrushes. Might be right up your alley since the scenario comes off a just a little anal.
hahahahahahahaha!!! That's great. Thanks :)
Yeah you think the Bible is all a joke. Got that. Put it on your resume.
Yeah, so the date is totally off in the Bible because the editor lied, adding sites that didn't exist then so that his people would identify with the Holy text. No surprise here - I mean, look how you believe him.
Revionist opinion.
B/c I'm honest,
1000 years from now someone like you will proclaim the holocaust was all fiction or reduce the numbers of actual dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heaven 11 min Richardfs 4
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Mr Duplicity 1,010
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr _Bad Company 705
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 12 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 16 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 16 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Patrick 140

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE