Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#128008 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so how do *you* explain the anomalous velocity curves, the gravitational lensing data, the effects on the cosmic background radiation, the separation of the gravitational effects from ordinary matter, etc?
Easy.

Goddidit.

Don't you know?

Science is just a waste of time.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128009 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"pretty much proven"?!?
Ya, I saw that black hole in the Flash Gordon movie.
THAT proves it!
Go on, keep your scienctifically "proven" faith...
Ever see the animation of the stars orbiting the massive black hole (that's right-a REAL black hole) at the center of our galaxy.

With this data set, it is fairly easy to calculate the mass of the black hole as well as the size of the event horizon.

Watch it. These are real images:

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#128010 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Dave , to you science is a religion.
Experimentation and observation coupled with the collection of evidence is sheer magic at work. It's all done with lights and mirrors and a few magnets. We use slight of hand and illusion to
fool the monkey brains. There's no such thing as gravity and Newton as well as Einstein were Circus entertainers.
"Experimentation and observation coupled with the collection of evidence is sheer magic at work."

It's the interpretation of those observations and experimentation that is correct or not. A false interpretation can result, and does, in improper experiments.

Not all educated scientists see things the same way.

You ain't thinking, you is following the herd.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#128011 Oct 6, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever see the animation of the stars orbiting the massive black hole (that's right-a REAL black hole) at the center of our galaxy.
With this data set, it is fairly easy to calculate the mass of the black hole as well as the size of the event horizon.
Watch it. These are real images:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7vcSKbXnLJAXX
This one is cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#128012 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Black holes are proven in the sense that there are compact gravitational sources that are so small that they cannot be anything else. Similarly, the location of dark matter can actually be mapped out using gravitational lensing techniques. The main issue with dark matter is its composition, not whether it exists. Even there, we know it cannot interact strongly with electromagnetism and it does interact via gravity.
These are no 'faith' in the sense of religious faith. This is using actual observations, comparing it to our models of how gravity and electromagnetism (as well as particle physics, etc) to understand what we see. Past the initial speculation, we have many follow-up observations that confirm that both black holes and dark matter exist and many of their properties.
Your faith is in the accuracy of your gravity based logic being correct. Meaning what you think gravity is and how it originates. Circular logic up from there.

As you may have noticed, it didn't work, so that is why you have dark matter and dark energy.

Start off from scratch again.

Location hidden

#128013 Oct 6, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
This one is cool too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
That is called a barycenter, the point where all mass of the galaxy orbits. Where it all balances out. Like two bodies on a seesaw, but rotary. It is also the point other galaxies balance with in relation to the Milky Way. It will shift a bit. Like an uneven wheel. Kind of a focal point and gateway to the rest of the universal mass and overall balance. The gas clouds will head to it.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128014 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your faith is in the accuracy of your gravity based logic being correct. Meaning what you think gravity is and how it originates. Circular logic up from there.
As you may have noticed, it didn't work, so that is why you have dark matter and dark energy.
Start off from scratch again.
LOL Okay hum bro , let's see your calculations.

Location hidden

#128015 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is called a barycenter, the point where all mass of the galaxy orbits. Where it all balances out. Like two bodies on a seesaw, but rotary. It is also the point other galaxies balance with in relation to the Milky Way. It will shift a bit. Like an uneven wheel. Kind of a focal point and gateway to the rest of the universal mass and overall balance. The gas clouds will head to it.

Right the center of the "largest mass" . It's a invisible pole stars race around where the winner will get a lollypop from skydaddy.

Location hidden

#128016 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>LOL Okay hum bro , let's see your calculations.
I'm not making any money off of it. Why should I give them to you?

Their calculations were wrong. Still are.

Location hidden

#128017 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Right the center of the "largest mass" . It's a invisible pole stars race around where the winner will get a lollypop from skydaddy.
Again you attribute false quotes to me. I said it was the balance point of the mass in the galaxy. You have issues with your understanding or you are dishonest.

Look up barycenter.

Location hidden

#128019 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you attribute false quotes to me. I said it was the balance point of the mass in the galaxy. You have issues with your understanding or you are dishonest.
Look up barycenter.
Unfortunately , the center of the galaxy cant be explained as only the barycenter of all other mass.

But lQQky here what I found. I wonder what people will say about this?

Here are your own words.......

""""The barycenter of the earth/sun lies almost dead center of the sun. That would make the biomass of humanity, which by the way is now the largest biomass on the planet, just about dead center. The barycenter is the point of overlapping gravity and the common point objects orbit about. The entire universe is tied together.

Theoretically, as gravity is considered a universal force, your moving an arm will move its barycenter within the sun, or vice versa. Or even with Alpha Centauri.""" "

I can identify some of this concept , but its shewed in Dave fashion for sure.

http://www.leedskalnin.com/DaveNelson-3.html

Location hidden

#128020 Oct 6, 2012
The oscillations of a pendulum create time. The motion counteracts gravity. That pendulum oscillates until gravity finally overcomes the momentum of motion, then it lines up with the most density of matter in a straight line, which appears to be through the center of the earth, but is actually the diameter. Over a period of time that pendulum should point to the sun, then the next largest density, and so on until it points to the singularity we burst upon the scene from.

Bubble bursting insight into Daveology ha ha hah!

Location hidden

#128021 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Center of mass , aka: gravity and rotational captured barycenter between mass .....do not emit massive gamma ray bursts hundreds of light years long.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128022 Oct 6, 2012
Go on, poly. Excuse it all you want. Black hole & dark matter have NOT been proven. So then how could they "explain" anything? How could they be "evidence" for anyhting? Atheists don't have faith in the religious sense, but they DO have faith...

Location hidden

#128023 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately , the center of the galaxy cant be explained as only the barycenter of all other mass.
But lQQky here what I found. I wonder what people will say about this?
Here are your own words.......
""""The barycenter of the earth/sun lies almost dead center of the sun. That would make the biomass of humanity, which by the way is now the largest biomass on the planet, just about dead center. The barycenter is the point of overlapping gravity and the common point objects orbit about. The entire universe is tied together.
Theoretically, as gravity is considered a universal force, your moving an arm will move its barycenter within the sun, or vice versa. Or even with Alpha Centauri.""" "
I can identify some of this concept , but its shewed in Dave fashion for sure.
You found me. That was several years ago. A collection of posts I made to a now extinct forum someone put together, and many ideas evolved since. But it is still true.

The barycenter of the earth's mass is in the middle. With a little wobble. Do things "gravitate toward the middle? Why not the center of the galaxy's mass?

Hey, Bubba, I explain these things in simple terms, non-Scriptural, the type that you are so tied to. Think of it as New World versus King James. They are just extensions of everyday applied physics. None of the sophistry.

Location hidden

#128024 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Go on, poly. Excuse it all you want. Black hole & dark matter have NOT been proven. So then how could they "explain" anything? How could they be "evidence" for anyhting? Atheists don't have faith in the religious sense, but they DO have faith...
Maybe your hypothesis of atheists have this thing.
Most who adhere to the scientific method have only consilience.
Study the meaning of consilience , and discover what knowing vs belief means.

Location hidden

#128025 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
The oscillations of a pendulum create time. The motion counteracts gravity. That pendulum oscillates until gravity finally overcomes the momentum of motion, then it lines up with the most density of matter in a straight line, which appears to be through the center of the earth, but is actually the diameter. Over a period of time that pendulum should point to the sun, then the next largest density, and so on until it points to the singularity we burst upon the scene from.
Bubble bursting insight into Daveology ha ha hah!
The diameter of the Earth is what causes the gravity at the surface at any point. One reason you have gravitational anomalies. The surface is the cross section presented to other celestial bodies, the total attraction. That earth barycenter would be the point on the balance beam if there was one.

Time doesn't exist unless you can measure it. You can only through motion. Big Bang says time started when it did. So what is your problem? Other than your obvious snarkiness over intellect.
Skeptic

Newtownards, UK

#128026 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have issues with your understanding or you are dishonest.
Says the Creationist that failed to convince anyone that god is real.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#128027 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Experimentation and observation coupled with the collection of evidence is sheer magic at work."
It's the interpretation of those observations and experimentation that is correct or not. A false interpretation can result, and does, in improper experiments.
Improper experiments? What are those? No, a false interpretation will lead to experiments that give results that contradict the interpretation. There is no such thing as an 'improper experiment'(barring ethical considerations). Now, you might have an experiment that doesn't give any useful information of yields ambiguous results. But even those are 'proper'. If the interpretation is wrong, the results will show it wrong. This is how we know we are on the wrong track. On the other hand, if the results show it working, then we are likely to be on the right track.
KJV

United States

#128029 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Questions:

1. what does this brochure have to do with my questions?
2. why didn't you just paste the link: http://www.hep.umn.edu/soudan/brochure.html

3. why are you writing this to me?
You were talking about dark matter, this link is for the biggest dark matter experiment taking place in the United States. I would have thought you could have figured that out. It's also where I work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 33 min MUQ1 22,250
Stump a theist with 2 questions 52 min TheHeadlines 64
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr Jaimie 78
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 2 hr Patrick n Angela 4,105
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick n Angela 473
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 3 hr yup 105
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 14 hr Patrick 762
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE