Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239491 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128091 Oct 6, 2012
Doe, a deer, a female deer...
C'mon, EVERYBODY!
Ray, a drop of golden sun.....

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128092 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Here, this is a simple description of arky methods, starting at part three for you. Please look at the pictures:
lightbeamrider wrote:
You must assume everyone who does not see things the way you do is stupid, which would include me with you ignorant assumptions.
Uhm, you said you didn't understand how arky works.So I linked you to some of its methods.

I don't actually think you're stupid, LB. I think you have poor tools for understanding the world around you.

Look, science is just "one way of knowing about the world." So are the various religions. They are both valid ways of living and understanding the universe around you.

The benefit of science is that it's efficacious. It is our best tool for producing new knowledge and technology.

Your strange religion of creationism denies us this powerful tool because your religious leader's political power is threatened by scientific education - for all the same reasons you creationists on here are upset about Exodus.

The thing you fail to realize is, again and again, that the specifics in your Bible don't have to be accurate for your belief in God to remain intact and spiritually fulfilling. You don't have to engage in all kinds of mental gymnastics to explain the vast problems in the Bible (the miserable morality of the OT, for ex)- it came from a different time.

You don't realize this because you want your god small. You tie it to an ancient mythology and forcefit the world to it rather than exploring what "God is a mystery" means within the context of faith and reality as it is.

If you read religious scholars - the kind that work at the top universities (like Oxford), not the fakes who write on Creationist websites - they've already gone to the point where they no longer take the Bible literally. It frees up their ability to interpret the Bible, to use it metaphorically, as a guide for the problems of today. It allows them to look across religions, find similar truths and kinship and a common human spirituality - this you are entirely unable to do.

Because you insist that a book of myth is literally, factually correct, ignore all and any evidence to the contrary and insist, beyond all reason, that you have "the one, true religion."

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#128093 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. That's why I posted links to archaeologist's discussing their findings that the pyramid laborers weren't slaves. You subsequently denied this without any evidence.
I'm curious, does the Bible actually say "The Jews built those damn pyramids"? I ask for two reasons:
1. If not, there's no reason (for you) to argue that the pyramid laborers were slaves
2. Egypt had slaves, they were just doing other stuff. dorms, not houses.
I have admitted that some Egyptians built the pyramids. Some were engineers, taskmasters or skilled craftsman.
There are many pyramids in Egypt. Notice the reference below on,“The Black Pyramid.”
{ although encased in limestone, is made of mud brick and clay instead of stone}.
Wiki:
The Black Pyramid was built by King Amenemhat III during the Middle Kingdom of Egypt (2055-1650 BC). It is one of the five remaining pyramids of the original eleven pyramids at Dahshur in Egypt. Originally named Amenemhet is Mighty, the pyramid earned the name "Black Pyramid" for its dark, decaying appearance as a rubble mound. The Black pyramid was the first to house both the deceased pharaoh and his queens. Jacques de Morgan, on a French mission, began the excavation on the pyramids at Dahshur in 1892. The German Archaeological Institute of Cairo completed excavation in 1983.
The pyramid was originally about 75 meters tall with a base 105 meters long and an incline of 57°. Typical for pyramids of the Middle Kingdom, the Black Pyramid, although encased in limestone, is made of mud brick and clay instead of stone. The ground level structures consist of the entrance opening into the courtyard and mortuary temple, surrounded by walls. There are two sets of walls; between them, there are ten shaft tombs, which are a type of burial structure formed from graves built into natural rock. The pyramidion, which is the capstone of a pyramid, was covered with inscriptions and religious symbols. Some of these were scratched off, leading researchers to conclude the pyramidion was never used or it was defaced during Akhenaten's rule.
Exodus 1:
11. So they set over [the Israelites] taskmasters to afflict and oppress them with [increased] burdens. And [the Israelites] built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh.
12. But the more [the Egyptians] oppressed them, the more they multiplied and expanded, so that [the Egyptians] were vexed and alarmed because of the Israelites.
13. And the Egyptians reduced the Israelites to severe slavery.
14 They made their lives bitter with hard service in mortar, brick, and all kinds of work in the field. All their service was with harshness and severity.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/462...
Pithom, Egyptian Per-Atum or Per Tum (“Estate of Atum”), probably modern Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, ancient Egyptian city located near Ismailia in Al-Ism&#257;&#703; &#299;liyyah mu&#7717;&#257;fa& #7827;ah (governorate) and mentioned in the Bible (Exodus 1:11) as one of the treasure houses built for the pharaoh by the Hebrews prior to the Exodus. Although Pithom has been identified as Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, excavations at the site have revealed that, aside from an unfortified outpost of the Hyksos period, the earliest layers do not predate the 7th century bce. The monuments of Ramses II that in the past have been used as a dating criterion for the site were apparently transported to Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, perhaps by the kings of the 30th dynasty (380–343 bce), to adorn this later city.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/490...
This conclusion, however, is at variance with most of the biblical and archaeological evidence. The storage cities Pit&#7717;om and Rameses, built for the pharaoh by the Hebrews, were located in the northeastern part of the Egyptian delta, not far from Goshen, the district in which the Hebrews lived.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#128094 Oct 6, 2012
I have admitted that some Egyptians built the pyramids. Some were engineers, taskmasters or skilled craftsman.

There are many pyramids in Egypt. Notice the reference below on,“The Black Pyramid.”

{ although encased in limestone, is made of mud brick and clay instead of stone}.

Wiki:

The Black Pyramid was built by King Amenemhat III during the Middle Kingdom of Egypt (2055-1650 BC). It is one of the five remaining pyramids of the original eleven pyramids at Dahshur in Egypt. Originally named Amenemhet is Mighty, the pyramid earned the name "Black Pyramid" for its dark, decaying appearance as a rubble mound. The Black pyramid was the first to house both the deceased pharaoh and his queens. Jacques de Morgan, on a French mission, began the excavation on the pyramids at Dahshur in 1892. The German Archaeological Institute of Cairo completed excavation in 1983.

The pyramid was originally about 75 meters tall with a base 105 meters long and an incline of 57°. Typical for pyramids of the Middle Kingdom, the Black Pyramid, although encased in limestone, is made of mud brick and clay instead of stone. The ground level structures consist of the entrance opening into the courtyard and mortuary temple, surrounded by walls. There are two sets of walls; between them, there are ten shaft tombs, which are a type of burial structure formed from graves built into natural rock. The pyramidion, which is the capstone of a pyramid, was covered with inscriptions and religious symbols. Some of these were scratched off, leading researchers to conclude the pyramidion was never used or it was defaced during Akhenaten's rule.

Exodus 1:

11. So they set over [the Israelites] taskmasters to afflict and oppress them with [increased] burdens. And [the Israelites] built Pithom and Rameses as store cities for Pharaoh.

12. But the more [the Egyptians] oppressed them, the more they multiplied and expanded, so that [the Egyptians] were vexed and alarmed because of the Israelites.

14 They made their lives bitter with hard service in mortar, brick, and all kinds of work in the field. All their service was with harshness and severity.

Pithom, Egyptian Per-Atum or Per Tum (“Estate of Atum”), probably modern Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, ancient Egyptian city located near Ismailia in Al-Ism&#257;&#703; &#299;liyyah mu&#7717;&#257;fa& #7827;ah (governorate) and mentioned in the Bible (Exodus 1:11) as one of the treasure houses built for the pharaoh by the Hebrews prior to the Exodus. Although Pithom has been identified as Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, excavations at the site have revealed that, aside from an unfortified outpost of the Hyksos period, the earliest layers do not predate the 7th century bce. The monuments of Ramses II that in the past have been used as a dating criterion for the site were apparently transported to Tall al-Maskh&#363;&#7789;a h, perhaps by the kings of the 30th dynasty (380–343 bce), to adorn this later city.

This conclusion, however, is at variance with most of the biblical and archaeological evidence. The storage cities Pit&#7717;om and Rameses, built for the pharaoh by the Hebrews, were located in the northeastern part of the Egyptian delta, not far from Goshen, the district in which the Hebrews lived.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128095 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
Yeah you think the Bible is all a joke. Got that. Put it on your resume.
Your argument was a joke. Screaming at me "it's scripture!" as if that carries some weight is laughable on so many levels.

Your veiled threat here is nice, though. I will. I one day will put that on my resume.
1000 years from now someone like you will proclaim the holocaust was all fiction or reduce the numbers of actual dead.
Coward - I name you coward for writing this.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128096 Oct 6, 2012
Hiding, why do you think that because a person is religious they have to refuse science? That's foolsih.
You know the Vatican has it's own observatory &*science dept? It's one of the oldest astronomical researxh centers in the world.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128097 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> ''I don't know of any surviving papyrus documents from Egypt's delta, says Hoffmeier. It's too wet. And papyrus [made from the reed like plant of the same name] is where most of the records were kept. The inscriptions we see on statues temple facades tend to be propaganistic, what-we-want-you-to-know messages. And where papyrus records have survived they tend to be from the desert areas. So we have very few of the day to day court records of 3,000 years of Egyptian history.''
While direct evidence is missing there is circumstantial evidence.
http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1998/september7/8...
This article quotes the scholars.
Thank you - that led me to this paper:

"Herodotus is called the “father of historians” for his Histories about the war between the Greeks and Persians. Abraham is dated about 2000 BC and his stories in the bible seem as detailed as those of the exodus, which is even more astonishing considering it is the story about only a single family’s travels. This is 1500 years before Herodotus! Why should Herodotus have the accolade as the “father of history” when whole chunks of bible are so much older? Why isn’t Moses the father of history, if he wrote the Torah about 1400 BC? The reason is simple. Herodotus had the title because he was indeed the father of history, and the bible was not written in its modern form until at least two centuries after Herodotus. The bible was actually influenced by the Histories of Herodotus, and also by Homer, as several scholars have shown, but no biblicist will accept."

http://www.askwhy.co.uk/truth/340Lichtman.php

Remember, I wrote 'anachronistic"?

Gosh I hope you understand that word now.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128098 Oct 6, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/05/travel/felicity...

One tough person.

She emphasizes the loneliness. That is what you will encounter in death. You just can't believe the lonely feeling. You just do it all by yourself.

But she was alive and had a mission and something to do, and managed to go on.

Don't count on having that option when you die.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128099 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> ''I don't know of any surviving papyrus documents from Egypt's delta, says Hoffmeier. It's too wet. And papyrus [made from the reed like plant of the same name] is where most of the records were kept. The inscriptions we see on statues temple facades tend to be propaganistic, what-we-want-you-to-know messages. And where papyrus records have survived they tend to be from the desert areas. So we have very few of the day to day court records of 3,000 years of Egyptian history.''
You know you're objection above - well, that scholar's objection above - isn't a refutation of my point about the papyrus we were discussing yesterday.

Because...we were discussing a *papyrus* and not a stone carving. You are aware of that, right?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128100 Oct 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Exodus 1:
So it doesn't actually say "pyramids" but describes the labor? It sounds like they were building something, or perhaps making the bricks. Egypt used dredged up mud sun and fire hardened into brick at that time - they could have been doing this work. It says they were "working in the fields" which would be farming.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128101 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hiding, why do you think that because a person is religious they have to refuse science? That's foolsih.
You know the Vatican has it's own observatory &*science dept? It's one of the oldest astronomical researxh centers in the world.
I don't.

I'm talking about the specific religion of "creationism." It denies science and history.

And...in history, the Catholics vehemently denied science. They learned from their mistakes and now embrace it. They have officially embraced the Big Bang Theory (in 1954) and Evolution - more recently.

Religious people have done a lot for science - Linnaeus gave us our biological classifications system, Newton gave us classical physics, Mendel, genes, and so on.

But in America you have creationists. They deny science and are damaging your good nation through the spreading of their religious lies.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128102 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
From your paper. Please note they also don't take the Bible literally:

"If it seems incredible to believe that 600,000 men plus women and children could have survived as a people in the Sinai wilderness for 40 years, we may be misinterpreting the number, says Hoffmeier. Hebrew University professor Abraham Malamat, for one, points out that the Bible often refers to 600 and its multiples, as well as 1,000 and its multiples, typologically in order to convey the idea of a large military unit. "The issue of Exodus 12:37 is an interpretive one," says Hoffmeier. "The Hebrew word eleph can be translated 'thousand,' but it is also rendered in the Bible as 'clans' and 'military units.' When I look at the question as an Egyptologist, I know that there are thought to have been 20,000 in the entire Egyptian army at the height of Egypt's empire. And at the battle of Ai in Joshua 7, there was a severe military setback when 36 troops were killed. If you have an army of 600,000, that's not a big setback." In other words, the head count may have been far fewer than suggested by a literal reading of Exodus 12:37."

Ah, thanks for that, LB.

"If it seems incredible..." just change how we interpret the Bible! After all you don't need to use "a literal reading of Exodus..."

You apologists are fantastic - what a wonderful demonstration.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128103 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument was a joke. Screaming at me "it's scripture!" as if that carries some weight is laughable on so many levels.
Your veiled threat here is nice, though. I will. I one day will put that on my resume.
<quoted text>
Coward - I name you coward for writing this.
If you deny 400 years of Israeli history as it relates to slavery to the degree where the first born sons were murdered by Egyptians then it is not so hard a stretch for your counterpart to deny the holocaust in the years to come. You laugh at biblical accounts and dismiss them as myth and now you get a taste of your own medicine and you call me coward. I have long since given up on how others except a handful who have earned the right think of or view me.

Location hidden

#128104 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.
I'm talking about the specific religion of "creationism." It denies science and history.
It denies your atheism and your revisionist history which is not the same as rejecting Science anymore than your belief the universe created itself and life came from inert elements is anti science.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#128105 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
All you have to do is look at Scripture. 1 Kings 6:1. Establish the time Solomon started to build the Temple and back date it 480 as it says in the text! Then you have the time of the Exodus. Not 146 or so years after that date!
You just made me spit soda all over my screen. Thanks.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128106 Oct 6, 2012
Makes sense, Hiding.
Good thing I'm no creationist.
ugh
Do I have to fight with them now, too?
screw it, it's oh-beer-thirty

Location hidden

#128107 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> No ''leap of faith'' is required. All one has to do is compare the Exodus account with this Egyptian text to see the obvious similiarities. The river to blood is in both. What is the Egyptian author describing? Slaves revolting. What event is the Egyptian describing? The land dark. All this and more jibes with the Exodus account.''Not everyone is willing to make'' subsequently means many are willing to make. If not everyone is willing to make then who is willing to make? That is what happens when an authentic document is produced which jibes with Exodus account. It is dismissed! Explained away. No one know the date!(Appeals to ignorance!) Any number of excuses and hiding asks how does the document add validation to the Exodus accounts?
You act like people are instinctively against the idea of an all loving god up in the sky who loves them and has a plan for them and wants to hang out with them forever and play harps and such. I actually think that would be quite nice. We don't reject your religious nonsense out of spite or reflex, we reject it because it's stupid, and because it is easy to see that when your mind isn't clouded by belief.

Location hidden

#128108 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're being ... ignorant here. New York, New Amsterdam didn't always exist. You know this, right? Once, a long time ago, there was no city where New York now stands.
The same thing is true of Jericho (and other cities mentioned in the Bible). Only, unlike you, our early Bible editors and writers weren't aware of that - they literally were ignorant. They assumed, incorrectly, that the cities they were aware of always existed.
Do you know how we know that? Cities are built upon previous dwellings, upon previous dwellings, upon previous dwellings and eventually upon the earth.
It was a very simple matter for archaeologists to just keep digging and dating Jericho. Eventually they, too, found the beginnings of the city - and guess what? They dated it.
No city existed where Jericho did when the Bible claims it was there.
Let's pretend you can think critically with regards to your own religion. I know you cannot, but let's pretend you can. You ask "why wasn't there a city when the Bible says there was, Hiding?" And I respond, "well, we both know that 3 different writers wrote Exodus. Later, one editor wove the stories together and tried to make the work. He didn't know that Jericho did not always stand where it was and so anachronistically (do you know what this word means???) added it."
Anachronistic means "putting items out of time or before their time." It's like writing a novel where the main character is listening to ABBA in 1940. That would be incorrect; an anachronistic error. Your Bible editors were anachronistic because they didn't have access to information the way we do. They just added whatever cities and details that they knew at the time - that's how Bible scholars can tell that it was edited (and edited poorly), out of time.
You're welcome.
I feel bad for light.

Location hidden

#128109 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
From your paper. Please note they also don't take the Bible literally:
It is only fundies from both the left and right who do. That would include you but not necessarily me.

Location hidden

#128110 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Why should we take their claims on faith? On the other hand you have Scripture.
Dude, I swear to god you're doing this on purpose. You are going to have to buy me a computer if you keep this up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 7,491
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 12 min Rosa_Winkel 134
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 55 min NoahLovesU 7,503
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr NoahLovesU 19,082
News New Atheism's fatal arrogance: The glaring inte... 6 hr Knowledge- 6
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Thinking 2,218
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 18 hr Thinking 2
More from around the web