Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244954 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128073 Oct 6, 2012
Hiding, you can post all the genius' conjecture all you want.
You can also insult me all you want.
What you can't do is:
Prove black holes.
Prove dark matter.
*sigh*

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128074 Oct 6, 2012
No, hiding...
Black holes are those things you chased in prison....
poly told us all about it.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#128075 Oct 6, 2012
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
<quoted text>So, are you upset with my parents, because at 16, they told me that for the last 18 years they have been hoping for a child.
You forgot the "?"

And, yes, I am upset at your parents for how they treated you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128076 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hiding, you can post all the genius' conjecture all you want.
You can also insult me all you want.
What you can't do is:
Prove black holes.
Prove dark matter.
*sigh*
I wasn't actually insulting you above, but describing how hard it is to communicate with you, since you don't seem capable of understanding how science works. This might constitute insulting you, if you think that you actually understand science or learn quickly.

But now that I know I can insult you all I want, with your permission, wooohhoooo!

Your shoes are blue.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128077 Oct 6, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Regarding to the story of the Exodus.
{Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence}
Good point. That's why I posted links to archaeologist's discussing their findings that the pyramid laborers weren't slaves. You subsequently denied this without any evidence.

I'm curious, does the Bible actually say "The Jews built those damn pyramids"? I ask for two reasons:

1. If not, there's no reason (for you) to argue that the pyramid laborers were slaves
2. Egypt had slaves, they were just doing other stuff. If the Bible doesn't actually say that the Jews were building the pyramids, why can't you assume they were household slaves?

Doesn't the Bible claim that Jews lived in houses as slaves in Egypt? It says something about putting the mark on the door of each house where a Jewish family lived so God, who is supposed to be omniscient, wouldn't kill their firstborn son?

The laborers who worked on the pyramids seem to have lived in dorms, not houses.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128078 Oct 6, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
"And God said,“Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so." Genesis 1:9
WOW! God evaporates a mud puddle!
ROFLMAO
The God effect.

"Hey, our pond is gone because of this drought!"

"The God effect."

"Ah, what can you do?"

"Call the insurance company."

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128079 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Here, this is a simple description of arky methods, starting at part three for you. Please look at the pictures:
You must assume everyone who does not see things the way you do is stupid, which would include me with you ignorant assumptions. In 127949 you stated river to blood as figurative and did not answer my question. Dismissed as opinion.
1. they are trained professionals.
And they have agendas and assumptions like you do. You have mininalists who are revisionists which assumes little or no support for biblical history. They denied Davidic kingdom until discoveries put them in th minority on that one. If they are wrong about David, why should we assume they are right about Moses and the Exodus? They also suggest Israel was created in the Hellenistic period.(323BC-146 or 31BC) Here are some of the players.
http://bibleapologetics.wordpress.com/tag/min...
You don't just fly out to Israel and say "hey, I'd like to dig up Jericho. Yeah. Really. Thanks." They spend their undergraduate doing digs. Their graduate degree doing digs. Their summers doing digs. Then they get paid to do digs.
2. they write down their research methodologies in two places: on their grant applications and in their peer reviewed, published data.
Yawn.
Just because you are utterly ignorant about all things archaeology doesn't mean that archaeologists don't know what they're doing.
Everybody is ignorant except you and the minimalists. Got that.
Don't! Go read them. Go read replications of study. Read their backgrounds - are they biased? Do they have religious affiliation? Who is supporting their research? What have they done before?
Thanks. Have no interest in digging in dirt with toothbrushes. Might be right up your alley since the scenario comes off a just a little anal.
hahahahahahahaha!!! That's great. Thanks :)
Yeah you think the Bible is all a joke. Got that. Put it on your resume.
Yeah, so the date is totally off in the Bible because the editor lied, adding sites that didn't exist then so that his people would identify with the Holy text. No surprise here - I mean, look how you believe him.
Revionist opinion.
B/c I'm honest,
1000 years from now someone like you will proclaim the holocaust was all fiction or reduce the numbers of actual dead.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128080 Oct 6, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya, my little poophead..
.. drawbacks? Very few. No caffeine, no drugs, no alcohol, no sex outside of marriage, 10% tithe, 3 hour Sunday worship, 2-hour Monday family night, regular Priesthood (Males) or Relief Society meetings (females), morning/evening pray, grace before every meal ..........
.. know you're exited now! Who wouldn't be? PM me your address and phone number and we'll have two young, handsome church elder missionaries (male or female) visit you. Best of all, you'll receive a FREE Book of Mormon. Reserve your place in the Celestial Kingdom today !!..
Woops, my mistake! That religion is not for me. I drink coffee every day, enjoy alcohol, have lots of sex outside of marriage, don't tithe, laugh at Sunday worship - though I'd like the family night - not a big fan of sexism.

I've talked to Mormon boys a few times. They're usually quite nice, but about as stupid as ... the religiously indoctrinated can get while being naive about the world, since they're fresh from the pews. They offered to do my dishes. I got rid of them by saying "I'm an atheist, but if I was going to be a Christian, by gosh, I would be a Mormon!"

I laughed. They laughed. And they left.:)
:)
:)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128081 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, hiding...
Black holes are those things you chased in prison....
poly told us all about it.
Unlike you I don't have experience in prison. What's it like?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128082 Oct 6, 2012
LMAO Hiding. My shoes are brown.
Your shirt is pink
ooooo gotcha!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128083 Oct 6, 2012
Besides the blue shoes, pink shirt & prison jokes (which I've never been to, either).
You still can't prove a black hole OR dark matter...
So then why are they "explanations" for f_ucked up calculations?
I thought you atheists were very logical...

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#128084 Oct 6, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. hi ya, my little poophead..
.. drawbacks? Very few. No caffeine, no drugs, no alcohol, no sex outside of marriage, 10% tithe, 3 hour Sunday worship, 2-hour Monday family night, regular Priesthood (Males) or Relief Society meetings (females), morning/evening pray, grace before every meal ..........
.. know you're exited now! Who wouldn't be? PM me your address and phone number and we'll have two young, handsome church elder missionaries (male or female) visit you. Best of all, you'll receive a FREE Book of Mormon. Reserve your place in the Celestial Kingdom today !!..
But wait there's more.....

You need to have your brain surgically removed.

Since: Sep 10

San Clemente, CA

#128085 Oct 6, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> <quoted text> 1000 years from now someone like you will proclaim the holocaust was all fiction or reduce the numbers of actual dead.
Shame on you.

Since: Sep 10

San Clemente, CA

#128086 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike you I don't have experience in prison. What's it like?
Most state prisons are not very nice places.

I have experience.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128087 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
LMAO Hiding. My shoes are brown.
Your shirt is pink
ooooo gotcha!
I'm not wearing a shirt :p

A fleece - it's cold here today!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#128088 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
That's just what the people who read Ancient Egyptian say. You know, I suppose a people who write using pictures might not be figurative. I guess that's possible. Perhaps the experts are wrong, as you claim they are for any matter regarding your dearly held beliefs?
Speaking from personal experience, kanji is figurative. It's a less obvious kind of figurative than Hieroglyphics, but it's still figurative. When you read it you don't hear words, you just see symbols. But, hey, don't believe me. Just go learn how to read Chinese or Japanese. It will only take you 3 years of practices 3 hours a day - but I'm here for you :)
<quoted text>
I was referring to the papyrus, not the Temple of Solomon.
You are aware that the Ancient Egyptians wrote stuff down, right? If half a million Jews all left at once, and these people were responsible for building the pyramids, it would have been noted. So would the military loss in the Red Sea. So would the first borns.
''I don't know of any surviving papyrus documents from Egypt's delta, says Hoffmeier. It's too wet. And papyrus [made from the reed like plant of the same name] is where most of the records were kept. The inscriptions we see on statues temple facades tend to be propaganistic, what-we-want-you-to-know messages. And where papyrus records have survived they tend to be from the desert areas. So we have very few of the day to day court records of 3,000 years of Egyptian history.''

While direct evidence is missing there is circumstantial evidence.
http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1998/september7/8...

This article quotes the scholars.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128089 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Besides the blue shoes, pink shirt & prison jokes (which I've never been to, either).
You still can't prove a black hole OR dark matter...
So then why are they "explanations" for f_ucked up calculations?
I thought you atheists were very logical...
Do we need to discuss "prove" in science again? What's your attention span? How many sentences can I write before you lose interest?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128090 Oct 6, 2012
Oh....
two or tree...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128091 Oct 6, 2012
Doe, a deer, a female deer...
C'mon, EVERYBODY!
Ray, a drop of golden sun.....

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#128092 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Here, this is a simple description of arky methods, starting at part three for you. Please look at the pictures:
lightbeamrider wrote:
You must assume everyone who does not see things the way you do is stupid, which would include me with you ignorant assumptions.
Uhm, you said you didn't understand how arky works.So I linked you to some of its methods.

I don't actually think you're stupid, LB. I think you have poor tools for understanding the world around you.

Look, science is just "one way of knowing about the world." So are the various religions. They are both valid ways of living and understanding the universe around you.

The benefit of science is that it's efficacious. It is our best tool for producing new knowledge and technology.

Your strange religion of creationism denies us this powerful tool because your religious leader's political power is threatened by scientific education - for all the same reasons you creationists on here are upset about Exodus.

The thing you fail to realize is, again and again, that the specifics in your Bible don't have to be accurate for your belief in God to remain intact and spiritually fulfilling. You don't have to engage in all kinds of mental gymnastics to explain the vast problems in the Bible (the miserable morality of the OT, for ex)- it came from a different time.

You don't realize this because you want your god small. You tie it to an ancient mythology and forcefit the world to it rather than exploring what "God is a mystery" means within the context of faith and reality as it is.

If you read religious scholars - the kind that work at the top universities (like Oxford), not the fakes who write on Creationist websites - they've already gone to the point where they no longer take the Bible literally. It frees up their ability to interpret the Bible, to use it metaphorically, as a guide for the problems of today. It allows them to look across religions, find similar truths and kinship and a common human spirituality - this you are entirely unable to do.

Because you insist that a book of myth is literally, factually correct, ignore all and any evidence to the contrary and insist, beyond all reason, that you have "the one, true religion."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 7 min Chimney1 20,626
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 min ChristineM 10,948
John 3:16 1 hr thetruth 83
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr thetruth 14,666
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 23 hr NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Fri Shizle 20
More from around the web