Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#128021 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is called a barycenter, the point where all mass of the galaxy orbits. Where it all balances out. Like two bodies on a seesaw, but rotary. It is also the point other galaxies balance with in relation to the Milky Way. It will shift a bit. Like an uneven wheel. Kind of a focal point and gateway to the rest of the universal mass and overall balance. The gas clouds will head to it.

Center of mass , aka: gravity and rotational captured barycenter between mass .....do not emit massive gamma ray bursts hundreds of light years long.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#128022 Oct 6, 2012
Go on, poly. Excuse it all you want. Black hole & dark matter have NOT been proven. So then how could they "explain" anything? How could they be "evidence" for anyhting? Atheists don't have faith in the religious sense, but they DO have faith...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#128023 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately , the center of the galaxy cant be explained as only the barycenter of all other mass.
But lQQky here what I found. I wonder what people will say about this?
Here are your own words.......
""""The barycenter of the earth/sun lies almost dead center of the sun. That would make the biomass of humanity, which by the way is now the largest biomass on the planet, just about dead center. The barycenter is the point of overlapping gravity and the common point objects orbit about. The entire universe is tied together.
Theoretically, as gravity is considered a universal force, your moving an arm will move its barycenter within the sun, or vice versa. Or even with Alpha Centauri.""" "
I can identify some of this concept , but its shewed in Dave fashion for sure.
http://www.leedskalnin.com/DaveNelson-3.html
You found me. That was several years ago. A collection of posts I made to a now extinct forum someone put together, and many ideas evolved since. But it is still true.

The barycenter of the earth's mass is in the middle. With a little wobble. Do things "gravitate toward the middle? Why not the center of the galaxy's mass?

Hey, Bubba, I explain these things in simple terms, non-Scriptural, the type that you are so tied to. Think of it as New World versus King James. They are just extensions of everyday applied physics. None of the sophistry.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128024 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Go on, poly. Excuse it all you want. Black hole & dark matter have NOT been proven. So then how could they "explain" anything? How could they be "evidence" for anyhting? Atheists don't have faith in the religious sense, but they DO have faith...
Maybe your hypothesis of atheists have this thing.
Most who adhere to the scientific method have only consilience.
Study the meaning of consilience , and discover what knowing vs belief means.

Westcliffe, CO

#128025 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
The oscillations of a pendulum create time. The motion counteracts gravity. That pendulum oscillates until gravity finally overcomes the momentum of motion, then it lines up with the most density of matter in a straight line, which appears to be through the center of the earth, but is actually the diameter. Over a period of time that pendulum should point to the sun, then the next largest density, and so on until it points to the singularity we burst upon the scene from.
http://www.leedskalnin.com/DaveNelson-3.html
Bubble bursting insight into Daveology ha ha hah!
The diameter of the Earth is what causes the gravity at the surface at any point. One reason you have gravitational anomalies. The surface is the cross section presented to other celestial bodies, the total attraction. That earth barycenter would be the point on the balance beam if there was one.

Time doesn't exist unless you can measure it. You can only through motion. Big Bang says time started when it did. So what is your problem? Other than your obvious snarkiness over intellect.
Skeptic

Newtownards, UK

#128026 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have issues with your understanding or you are dishonest.
Says the Creationist that failed to convince anyone that god is real.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#128027 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Experimentation and observation coupled with the collection of evidence is sheer magic at work."
It's the interpretation of those observations and experimentation that is correct or not. A false interpretation can result, and does, in improper experiments.
Improper experiments? What are those? No, a false interpretation will lead to experiments that give results that contradict the interpretation. There is no such thing as an 'improper experiment'(barring ethical considerations). Now, you might have an experiment that doesn't give any useful information of yields ambiguous results. But even those are 'proper'. If the interpretation is wrong, the results will show it wrong. This is how we know we are on the wrong track. On the other hand, if the results show it working, then we are likely to be on the right track.
KJV

United States

#128029 Oct 6, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Questions:

1. what does this brochure have to do with my questions?
2. why didn't you just paste the link: http://www.hep.umn.edu/soudan/brochure.html

3. why are you writing this to me?
You were talking about dark matter, this link is for the biggest dark matter experiment taking place in the United States. I would have thought you could have figured that out. It's also where I work.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128030 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The diameter of the Earth is what causes the gravity at the surface at any point. One reason you have gravitational anomalies. The surface is the cross section presented to other celestial bodies, the total attraction. That earth barycenter would be the point on the balance beam if there was one.
Time doesn't exist unless you can measure it. You can only through motion. Big Bang says time started when it did. So what is your problem? Other than your obvious snarkiness over intellect.
Incorrect , relativity speaking ...time can exist toward infinity with zero motion.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#128031 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
They *have* been proven. Both black holes and dark matter exist. We have several independent lines of evidence showing this for both.

In general, a hypothesis is a proposed explanation for some experimental result. A good hypothesis will lead to testable predictions. if these predictions are shown to be correct, then our confidence in the hypothesis is increased. When multiple lines of evidence all support the hypothesis (even those designed to show it wrong), then we say that the hypothesis does, in fact, explain the results and consider it proven. That is the situation with both black holes and dark matter.

Westcliffe, CO

#128032 Oct 6, 2012
Skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the Creationist that failed to convince anyone that god is real.
Says the skeptic begging to have proof.

Sorry, you will have to find it yourself. Maybe you will get desperate enough to do such.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#128033 Oct 6, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your faith is in the accuracy of your gravity based logic being correct. Meaning what you think gravity is and how it originates. Circular logic up from there.
Which would be shown wrong by observation if incorrect.

In the case of gravity, there *were* alternative versions proposed to explain dark matter. Modified gravity was a leading contender, but was shown wrong by studies of clusters where the dark matter and ordinary matter separate: the modified gravity theories couldn't explain the data without having dark matter also. The standard theory (with dark matter) explains all we have seen.
KJV

United States

#128034 Oct 6, 2012
timn17 wrote:
Haha, wow, light, your "source" believes in the parting of the red sea. Is there no limit to his, and your, madness?
Here is some more laughs for you!

You claim the bible was written by goat herders.

1) those goat herders had this to say straight to you from 2000 years ago!

Deuteronomy 5:9

English Standard Version (ESV)
"You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"

2) And the shapes [or "resemblance"] of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men

That goat herder is describing a modern era HELICOPTER

Not bad for a goat herder from 2000 years ago but there's more.

3) That I will cause the flesh to fall from their bones before their body can hit the ground, and their eyes shall melt in their sockets and their tongue in their mouth.(Zechariah 14:12)

These goat herders from 2000 years ago are describing Nuclear War or at least a big bomb. A bomb that the goat herders could not foresee 2000 years ago.

Pretty funny right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128035 Oct 6, 2012
I got your point, Aura. But that just shows even more that atheists require faith. To take several proven calculations about one thing & speculate on another, then use that proof of the 1st thing to "prove" the 2nd is faith. Belief. Guesswork.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#128036 Oct 6, 2012
KJV wrote:
"You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me"
2) And the shapes [or "resemblance"] of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men
That goat herder is describing a modern era HELICOPTER
A bit of a stretch, don't you think? Actually, a HUGE stretch.
Not bad for a goat herder from 2000 years ago but there's more.
3) That I will cause the flesh to fall from their bones before their body can hit the ground, and their eyes shall melt in their sockets and their tongue in their mouth.(Zechariah 14:12)
These goat herders from 2000 years ago are describing Nuclear War or at least a big bomb. A bomb that the goat herders could not foresee 2000 years ago.
Pretty funny right?
Another huge stretch by the fundy crowd. If this is the quality of your proof, then you can stop talking now; it isn't even close.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#128037 Oct 6, 2012
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I got your point, Aura. But that just shows even more that atheists require faith. To take several proven calculations about one thing & speculate on another, then use that proof of the 1st thing to "prove" the 2nd is faith. Belief. Guesswork.
Guesswork is called hypothesis, yes it takes a guess , but only those guesses that are supported by physical evidence that can be substantiated by real evidence can be applied to theory. Consilience get used to the concept, it proves things to the best possible degree of understanding.

Westcliffe, CO

#128038 Oct 6, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Incorrect , relativity speaking ...time can exist toward infinity with zero motion.
You wouldn't know it.

You can't prove it. You can disprove it by stopping every thing moving.

Then you wouldn't observing a thing.

Pure conjecture.

Faith based. Scientific fail.

Westcliffe, CO

#128039 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which would be shown wrong by observation if incorrect.
In the case of gravity, there *were* alternative versions proposed to explain dark matter. Modified gravity was a leading contender, but was shown wrong by studies of clusters where the dark matter and ordinary matter separate: the modified gravity theories couldn't explain the data without having dark matter also. The standard theory (with dark matter) explains all we have seen.
The simple fact is dark energy and matter came about because gravity as calculated could not account for the motions of the stars. Something like 95% of visible mass was missing?

That's a large margin of error. I would have looked for other things, like EM.

Gravity's strongest force is the asshole sucking in math heads.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#128040 Oct 6, 2012
The faith of science is real, folks. Y'all are just too cocky to admit it.
Your science is failing. So they make up "cool" stuuf like dark matter & black holes.
They are NOT proven. They ARE guesses.
Prove me wrong...

Westcliffe, CO

#128041 Oct 6, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit of a stretch, don't you think? Actually, a HUGE stretch.
<quoted text>
Another huge stretch by the fundy crowd. If this is the quality of your proof, then you can stop talking now; it isn't even close.
There are a few things in the Bible that point to a loop of time. A circle of the past and future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 54 min Amused 25
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 54 min thetruth 18,841
News Confessions of a black atheist 55 min thetruth 465
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 8 hr thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism 9 hr thetruth 1,341
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web