Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
123,401 - 123,420 of 226,146 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís been a lively discussion and mannerly which is very much appreciated. I really enjoy talking to you and others. I thank you for your participation in the discussion.
You could convince me Exodus happened, especially if we found:

- Egyptian records discussing the capturing of Israel and the enslaving of its people
- Egyptian records discussing the mass "exodus" of Israelites (half a million people just leave their society and they don't notice???)
- Egyptian records bewailing the fact that every single firstborn just died (quite an odd medical mystery, wouldn't you say?)
- if the Bible story on Exodus was written by one person instead of three plus a "redactor" who tried to unify the various accounts and, through his anachronistic additions, made it look even worse
- if we didn't have evidence that the Jews were already in the region in the time that Exodus purports to have happened

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Tim, why you gotta ignore my questions? Do they make too much sense for ya?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no proof the Exodus didnít happen.
Iím standing on the Biblical account. Which was not written last week but thousands of years ago.
The fact the Jews celebrate the Passover and have for thousands of years.
Slavery was common place for the period.
The insurmountable task of building the pyramids required massive amounts of labor.
No nation could afford to pay thousands of employees during the time period and remain solvent.
There're political reasons and cause not to bring forth further evidence in reference to the Exodus.
Plagues are not impossible and have happened throughout history.
Egypt was a super power. Then it slid into a third world status. What caused this slide? A. Exodus.
Wondering 40 years in the desert is a very insignificant amount of time when you compare it to ethnic groups that have lived thousands of years in one region.
Very little archeological excavating and searching has been conduct outside of the pyramids. Some perhaps but not near enough to support the claims of no Exodus.
The Exodus happened, sorry that it goes against what you believe but it did happen.
You gave no rebuttal, however, thank you for asserting strongly that you believe in your mythic religion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Yes, Hiding. I know of the hypthesized dark matter. I also know that it's pure myth that your gods have put into place to fill in the blanks of their other guesses...
And monitoring black holes? lol, they believe they are...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
My apologies, the papyrus is not fiction. I meant that linking it to Exodus is by asking which historians disagree with the analysis - that seems to me the backwards way to go about it. What support is given that it reinforces the story of Exodus?
In the article cited you got plague and the river is blood. Slave revolting. In the Exodus account you have the Nile river to blood. 7:14-24. There is disease on cattle. 9:1-7. Boils/Sores on men and animal. 9:8-12. Darkness. 10:21-29. The land is not light [dark]. Do you need a roadmap? Got a better explanation?

http://www.starways.net/lisa/essays/exodus.ht...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, Hiding. I know of the hypthesized dark matter. I also know that it's pure myth that your gods have put into place to fill in the blanks of their other guesses...
And monitoring black holes? lol, they believe they are...
Ok, what is dark matter then?

Uhm...what are they actually monitoring if not black holes?

Oh wise one, tell us all!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

I'm not pndering to your needs, Hiding.
Dark matter & black holes remain scientific guesses & have not been discovered.
But, as an atheist, I'm sure you believe anything you're white coats tell you...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, what is dark matter then?
Uhm...what are they actually monitoring if not black holes?
Oh wise one, tell us all!
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/category/bla...

You will not see a black hole. You may see illustrations of what they think is there based upon gravity attractions, and you guessed it, EM observations using EM devices.

All of those guesses are based upon models they assume are correct based upon other models based on other models, and so on, based upon mathematical assumptions. Derived from observations here.

They are projecting what they want to see.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what dark matter is? Do you know what a black hole is? Do you know that we've found black holes and are monitoring them now?
I'm gonna guess the answer would be no to all 3 of those questions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Tim, why you gotta ignore my questions? Do they make too much sense for ya?
Why are you singling me out?

What questions did you ask me that haven't been answered a thousand times before? I don't want to pick on you - if you think exclaiming to me that I can't prove that god doesn't exist is a compelling argument, then you are an idiot.

If you think black holes don't exist, then you are an idiot. Do you know what a black hole is? Describe one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/category/bla...
You will not see a black hole. You may see illustrations of what they think is there based upon gravity attractions, and you guessed it, EM observations using EM devices.
All of those guesses are based upon models they assume are correct based upon other models based on other models, and so on, based upon mathematical assumptions. Derived from observations here.
They are projecting what they want to see.
But everyone knows it's really magnets. There's a giant magnet at the center of the milky way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But everyone knows it's really magnets. There's a giant magnet at the center of the milky way.
http://www.ns.umich.edu/new/releases/20183-a-...

http://www.mpg.de/4677218/magnetic_field_patt...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But everyone knows it's really magnets. There's a giant magnet at the center of the milky way.
https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~reid/bfield.html

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8531709_effects-magn...

Say uncle.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Woah there, tim. Your gods, the scientists, preach about things like dark matter & black holes and how much they "influence" the universe even though neither one of them have been proven!
And people like you blindly follow...
The evidence for black holes is not only in prediction of GR but physical in nature.
Though most peoples understanding of what constitutes dark matter
is as sketchy as understanding the nature of black holes themselves.

In fact a black hole in itself can be considered dark matter , but more important than what dark matter actually is ...is that it explains the observations. Of course your grasp of the universe doesn't think that man can have this explanatory power. But this is your limitation and you can't project your weakness on the greatest strength of humanity , one which many are sorely lacking.
But never the less a strength of those who have it.

It's like I tried to tell Dave RR , science proves things to the best possible explanation though never absolute, the evidence
is what counts and when there is a convergence of evidence
we know it is right in the best possible of understanding we posses. Right now the evidence is converging that BH's are indeed not only real , but they exist in huge quantity. That's something we did not expect to learn. Dark matter fits the explanation of how gravity moves our galaxy , and we are close to knowing it's reality by the evidence also.

http://phys.org/news/2011-12-nasa-satellite-r...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
OK Dave.

Max Planck told me to inform you that it's time to abut your positive end to the negative end of your bottom sheet.

Or you may end up hating yourself in the morning.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not pndering to your needs, Hiding.
Dark matter & black holes remain scientific guesses & have not been discovered.
But, as an atheist, I'm sure you believe anything you're white coats tell you...
Maybe Nasa can help you with your strange claims:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/kno...

Black holes do not remain "guesses" - they're observable from their interactions with matter around them.

It's not that I'm an atheist. It's that I'm not religiously indoctrinated and willfully ignorant as you are. I don't relentlessly ignore reality to support a mythology as is your wont.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave, calm down, I never said that EM wasn't a force in the universe, nor did I say that there are no magnetic fields in the galaxy. I jokingly said that there was a giant magnet, as in a literal fridge magnet, in the center of the galaxy. Look at you getting all excited.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, calm down, I never said that EM wasn't a force in the universe, nor did I say that there are no magnetic fields in the galaxy. I jokingly said that there was a giant magnet, as in a literal fridge magnet, in the center of the galaxy. Look at you getting all excited.
Dave has had a long day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 13 min Tuco Blondie 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 1 hr USN Atheist 32
100% Faith Free 3 hr religionislies 7
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr religionislies 21,490
Our world came from nothing? 5 hr NightSerf 395
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 11 hr NightSerf 6
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 14 hr Patrick 24
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••