Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,170)

Showing posts 123,381 - 123,400 of223,062
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Since: Mar 11

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Answer the question please. It is a legit question. You made the statement it is fiction. Now back it up.
So anyone can just post a paper of a "translation" and it's legitimate until we demonstrate how many scientists denounce it?

That's crazy, but it exemplifies how you creationists think.

He did not post a legitimate scholarly article, but some body's fiction. If it's legitimate, why didn't he cite an academic source? Why isn't it being discussed in archaeology?

He didn't even post a legitimate question, but a logical fallacy - the same logical fallacy as the question I asked in return. He's making unwarranted assumptions within the question itself.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking nonsense.
Comment from a Jewish archaeologist.
Israel Finkelstein, the director of the Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University: "Archaeology has shown that early Israel indeed emerged from the local population of late Bronze Canaan." In addition, he said, archaeology has turned up no physical remains to support the Bible's story of the Exodus: "There is no evidence for the wanderings of the Israelites in the Sinai desert." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Finkelste...
Comment from a Christian archaeologist.
William Dever writes: "The overwhelming archaeological evidence today of largely indigenous origins for early Israel leaves no room for an exodus from Egypt or a 40-year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_G._Dever
There is no evidence for the "Exodus", because there is no evidence.
<quoted text> Irrelevant to this conversation, but yes, and those are verifiable historical events, in numerous ways. There is proof available concerning those events.
<quoted text> The Jewish people exist and are not in question here. That they celebrate Passover does not verify or prove the "Exodus".
There is no proof for the "Exodus".
<quoted text>
I suppose that would mean Israel Finkelstein, the director of the Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University and numerous other Jewish archaeologists and scholars are Antisemitic, too?
Your Antisemitic comment is reprehensible.
<quoted text> The Alamo happened, it is supported historically, and we aren't talking about the Alamo.
There is no proof concerning the "Exodus".
You have no proof the Exodus didnít happen.

Iím standing on the Biblical account. Which was not written last week but thousands of years ago.

The fact the Jews celebrate the Passover and have for thousands of years.

Slavery was common place for the period.

The insurmountable task of building the pyramids required massive amounts of labor.

No nation could afford to pay thousands of employees during the time period and remain solvent.

There're political reasons and cause not to bring forth further evidence in reference to the Exodus.

Plagues are not impossible and have happened throughout history.

Egypt was a super power. Then it slid into a third world status. What caused this slide? A. Exodus.

Wondering 40 years in the desert is a very insignificant amount of time when you compare it to ethnic groups that have lived thousands of years in one region.

Very little archeological excavating and searching has been conduct outside of the pyramids. Some perhaps but not near enough to support the claims of no Exodus.

The Exodus happened, sorry that it goes against what you believe but it did happen.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Answer the question please. It is a legit question. You made the statement it is fiction. Now back it up.
"Fringe historians often compare the content of this papyrus with Exodus, the second book of the Bible [1]. Similarities between Egyptian texts and the Bible are easily found, and it is reasonable to assume Egyptian influence on the Hebrews, given their at times close contacts. But to conclude from such parallelisms that the Ipuwer Papyrus describes Egypt at the time of the Exodus, requires a leap of faith not everybody is willing to make."

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/texts/ipu...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to see anyone mention anything regarding Leiden Payprus #344 aside the allegation that it is fiction. Was Leiden Payprus #344 already discussed? If so it shouldn't be that hard to list at least one historian who has come to that conclusion as I had requested.
I thought you were talking about the exodus itself. I believe scar above this post has addressed your question, however.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
So anyone can just post a paper of a "translation" and it's legitimate until we demonstrate how many scientists denounce it?
That's crazy, but it exemplifies how you creationists think.
He did not post a legitimate scholarly article, but some body's fiction. If it's legitimate, why didn't he cite an academic source? Why isn't it being discussed in archaeology?
He didn't even post a legitimate question, but a logical fallacy - the same logical fallacy as the question I asked in return. He's making unwarranted assumptions within the question itself.
Exactly. It is very annoying. The bible is true until proven otherwise, any evidence that may offer tenuous support for the bible is true until proven otherwise, etc. That is not how it works.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What? Lol
Sorry, I was annoyed at the question he asked, since it was a misleading question. In asking "Which historians believe this document to be fiction?" he's suggesting that some historians believe it not to be.

It would be better to ask "what support do we have for this document to be taken as legitimate?" and, since the context of his presenting it is to support Exodus, it would be better to ask "what support do we have that this document reinforces Exodus?"

Anyways, I was mistaken, it's a legitimate translation from Egypt that refers to a time much, much later than Exodus. One interesting point is that all of the references to slaves within it are to household slaves - that's what I keep telling Eagle, but he doesn't want to believe that. In and of itself, though, that's merely absence of evidence and it would be impossible to conclude, based on this document's discussion of slaves alone, that slaves were not used to build the pyramids (though the opposite is the logic most often employed by creationists). However, the archaeology of the pyramids, their treatment of workers, the beer, beef, fish and bread they provided them, the status accorded them, strongly suggest they weren't slaves. This paper is just adds a bit of evidence to that.

You can find an interesting analysis here:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím standing on the Biblical account. Which was not written last week but thousands of years ago.
The insurmountable task of building the pyramids required massive amounts of labor.
No nation could afford to pay thousands of employees during the time period and remain solvent.
There're political reasons and cause not to bring forth further evidence in reference to the Exodus.
Egypt was a super power. Then it slid into a third world status. What caused this slide? A. Exodus.
Wondering 40 years in the desert is a very insignificant amount of time when you compare it to ethnic groups that have lived thousands of years in one region.
Very little archeological excavating and searching has been conduct outside of the pyramids. Some perhaps but not near enough to support the claims of no Exodus.
The Exodus happened, sorry that it goes against what you believe but it did happen.
While your posts are useless, I love them. A real time view of the various ways the mind defends it's beliefs when faced with conflicting information.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
I have yet to see anyone mention anything regarding Leiden Payprus #344 aside the allegation that it is fiction. Was Leiden Payprus #344 already discussed? If so it shouldn't be that hard to list at least one historian who has come to that conclusion as I had requested.
There is something to be said about Ipuwer Papyrus. It looks to me like the smoking gun. Of course these non believers are going to nix it as not worthy of mentioning. Thank you for brining it up.

Wiki:

The Ipuwer Papyrus is a single papyrus holding an ancient Egyptian poem, called The Admonitions of Ipuwer or The Dialogue of Ipuwer and the Lord of All. Its official designation is Papyrus Leiden I 344 recto. It is housed in the Dutch National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, Netherlands, after being purchased from Giovanni Anastasi, the Swedish consul to Egypt, in 1828. The sole surviving manuscript dates to the later 13th century BCE (no earlier than the 19th dynasty in the New Kingdom).

The Ipuwer Papyrus describes Egypt as afflicted by natural disasters and in a state of chaos, a topsy-turvy world where the poor have become rich, and the rich poor, and warfare, famine and death are everywhere. One symptom of this collapse of order is the lament that servants are leaving their servitude and acting rebelliously.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle, if you want to believe the Exodus happened, knock yourself out.

But please don't expect reasonable people to follow your silly belief.

Next you'll be telling us that Jesus walked on water.

And turned water into wine.

And you have an invisible friend next to you on the bus seat.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Among Biblical scholars and archaeologists it is almost axiomatic that the Israelites entered Canaan about 1230Ė1220 B.C. In terms of archaeological periods, this would be towards the end of the Late Bronze Age, for which the Generally Accepted Date (GAD) is 1550Ė1200 B.C. Yet there are enormous problems with this dating. In recent decades an increasing number of scholars have recognized that if we accept the GAD of 1230Ė1220 B.C. for the Israelite entry into Canaan, we must reject the Biblical account of Israelís conquest of Canaanite cities. This is because the Biblical account conflicts so strongly with the archaeological record. The Bible describes the Israelite conquest of Canaan at length and refers to a number of cities encountered by Joshua and his armies. In almost every case the archaeological evidence is inconsistent with the Biblical evidenceóif we date the Israelite entry into Canaan to the GAD of 1230Ė1220 B.C."

http://davelivingston.com/davelivingston/arti...

An older one. New arky simply rejects the story of Exodus as real.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>While your posts are useless, I love them. A real time view of the various ways the mind defends it's beliefs when faced with conflicting information.
Itís been a lively discussion and mannerly which is very much appreciated. I really enjoy talking to you and others. I thank you for your participation in the discussion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I was annoyed at the question he asked, since it was a misleading question. In asking "Which historians believe this document to be fiction?" he's suggesting that some historians believe it not to be.
It would be better to ask "what support do we have for this document to be taken as legitimate?" and, since the context of his presenting it is to support Exodus, it would be better to ask "what support do we have that this document reinforces Exodus?"
Anyways, I was mistaken, it's a legitimate translation from Egypt that refers to a time much, much later than Exodus. One interesting point is that all of the references to slaves within it are to household slaves - that's what I keep telling Eagle, but he doesn't want to believe that. In and of itself, though, that's merely absence of evidence and it would be impossible to conclude, based on this document's discussion of slaves alone, that slaves were not used to build the pyramids (though the opposite is the logic most often employed by creationists). However, the archaeology of the pyramids, their treatment of workers, the beer, beef, fish and bread they provided them, the status accorded them, strongly suggest they weren't slaves. This paper is just adds a bit of evidence to that.
You can find an interesting analysis here:
Haha you don't have to explain yourself to me, I totally agree that all this exodus business is ridiculous.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out once I'm at my computer. Using a phone now and its really annoying.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Woah there, tim. Your gods, the scientists, preach about things like dark matter & black holes and how much they "influence" the universe even though neither one of them have been proven!
And people like you blindly follow...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is something to be said about Ipuwer Papyrus. It looks to me like the smoking gun. Of course these non believers are going to nix it as not worthy of mentioning. Thank you for brining it up.
Wiki:
The Ipuwer Papyrus is a single papyrus holding an ancient Egyptian poem, called The Admonitions of Ipuwer or The Dialogue of Ipuwer and the Lord of All. Its official designation is Papyrus Leiden I 344 recto. It is housed in the Dutch National Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, Netherlands, after being purchased from Giovanni Anastasi, the Swedish consul to Egypt, in 1828. The sole surviving manuscript dates to the later 13th century BCE (no earlier than the 19th dynasty in the New Kingdom).
The Ipuwer Papyrus describes Egypt as afflicted by natural disasters and in a state of chaos, a topsy-turvy world where the poor have become rich, and the rich poor, and warfare, famine and death are everywhere. One symptom of this collapse of order is the lament that servants are leaving their servitude and acting rebelliously.
Have you completely ignored the information presented to you? The timing doesn't match up, and the document is referring to household slaves, as other people have already noted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Woah there, tim. Your gods, the scientists, preach about things like dark matter & black holes and how much they "influence" the universe even though neither one of them have been proven!
Why are you addressing me? There is a reason no one is responding to you. Now go back to your corner.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís been a lively discussion and mannerly which is very much appreciated. I really enjoy talking to you and others. I thank you for your participation in the discussion.
We used to get blessed.

What happened to your blessings?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you eagle.

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
My apologies, the papyrus is not fiction. I meant that linking it to Exodus is by asking which historians disagree with the analysis - that seems to me the backwards way to go about it. What support is given that it reinforces the story of Exodus?

“I won, I won, I won!!!”

Who? Me, me, me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Do you know what dark matter is? Do you know what a black hole is? Do you know that we've found black holes and are monitoring them now?

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RiversideRedneck wrote:
So......
NONE of you have solid proof that The Bible is a myth, or fairy tale....
Right.
Got it.
You BELIEVE it to be so.......
Admit that. If nothing else.
Are the stories about Zeus and Odin myths?

Did Snow White really sleep with all those dwarfs?

There's this thing called skepticism...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 123,381 - 123,400 of223,062
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 56 min Patrick 27
Why do i deserve no respect. 8 hr Patrick 6
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 21 hr Mikko 21,328
Introducing The Universal Religion Wed NightSerf 718
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 802
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) Wed Buck Crick 324
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... Wed Mikko 1,274
•••
•••