Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127810 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth?
Like the Egyptians put up a bid?
Then hired a contractor with the lowest bid?
Well the contractor so happened to be ďAbraham & Sons Inc.Ē
No one could out bid them because they supplied free labor.
The truth is it was forced labor. Slave labor.
Why do you need it to be slave labor so badly, despite the findings of archaeology?

I see your problem here as a general problem of your religion - it denies science. You deny biological science, history and now archaeology.

What you're doing is precisely what the Exodus story in the OT does: creating a mythological story to give you a religious identity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127811 Oct 5, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he made a reality point.
Archeology in the Middle East is repressed by both sides because of the political implications. Since 1949 the archeology and history of the area has been little science and more "prove my religion".
In recent years, say the last 30, those trying to "prove my religion" aren't archaeologists, but religious people supported by their churches. They don't do archaeology, make stuff up and are incapable of extracting evidence from their "finds."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127812 Oct 5, 2012
EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Reference the Ipuwer Papyrus, it dates to about the same time as when the Bible places the Exodus and describes many of the same calamaties as well as slaves rebeling and leaving their masters. It was originally discovered in 1909 so it's certainly been around for a while.
Here is a translation:
http://www.google.com/url...
Pure fiction.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#127813 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There's more than two accounts. We have the written accounts, plus the archaeological evidence. When they coincide, they support each other. When they contradict, something is wrong. Archaeologists side with the arky data since it enjoys greater objectivity.
Sure, the Exodus as history is plausible. Most of the of the non-miracles accounts of history in the Bible are plausible. The problem is the Exodus story just happens to be false. All the arky tells us this - and you know what? The Jews of Israel have no problems understanding what Exodus is, a unification story to provide solidification and identity for the Israelites. It separated them from the other peoples in the region and justified their conquest of some of the lands.
These kinds of stories aren't rare. The "we walked for a long time and our deity gave us this land" is a recurring theme. The Aztecs used it, too. Their deity, Quetzalcoatl, gave them Tenochtitlan (Mexico city) and told them where to stop by having an Eagle with a ribbon in its mouth (now a snake, now on their peso).
Do you believe it? Do you believe Quetzalcoatl divinely told the Aztecs where to build their city?
...ah, the story of the Mexodus, good read...

“Proverbs 12:16”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#127815 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Pure fiction.
Which historians believe this document to be fiction?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#127816 Oct 5, 2012
You atheists and your prove this & prove that. You wanna end this debate? Don't give opinion, conjecture or lies. Give the honest, true proof that you think you have that The Bible is a myth.
I'll wait.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127817 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
There're political implications that prevents real evidence from coming forward regarding to the Exodus story. These blocks and obstacles stand in the way of truth. These nations that have a deep seated hatred for Israel will never admit to the Exodus.

You're talking nonsense.

Comment from a Jewish archaeologist.
Israel Finkelstein, the director of the Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University: "Archaeology has shown that early Israel indeed emerged from the local population of late Bronze Canaan." In addition, he said, archaeology has turned up no physical remains to support the Bible's story of the Exodus: "There is no evidence for the wanderings of the Israelites in the Sinai desert." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Finkelste...

Comment from a Christian archaeologist.
William Dever writes: "The overwhelming archaeological evidence today of largely indigenous origins for early Israel leaves no room for an exodus from Egypt or a 40-year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_G._Dever

There is no evidence for the "Exodus", because there is no evidence.
Eagle12 wrote:
Celebrations and Holidays can be traced back in time as to their origins. For example we have the Forth of July in the United States. Mexico has Cinco de Mayo. France has Bastille day.
Irrelevant to this conversation, but yes, and those are verifiable historical events, in numerous ways. There is proof available concerning those events.
Eagle12 wrote:
The Jews have the Passover.The Passover has its origins from Exodus. It in itself is evidence.
The Jewish people exist and are not in question here. That they celebrate Passover does not verify or prove the "Exodus".

There is no proof for the "Exodus".
Eagle12 wrote:
Denying the Passover is an act of antisemitism. Youíre saying to the Jews, you have no historical record.
I suppose that would mean Israel Finkelstein, the director of the Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University and numerous other Jewish archaeologists and scholars are Antisemitic, too?

Your Antisemitic comment is reprehensible.
Eagle12 wrote:
Hey look, stick you head in the sand or put on blinders if it makes your day. Telling the Jews the Passover didnít happen is like telling a Texan the Alamo never happened. We know different and both the Alamo and the Exodus happened.
The Alamo happened, it is supported historically, and we aren't talking about the Alamo.

There is no proof concerning the "Exodus".

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127818 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey.
I AM the teacher.
And you have earned an F so far.
Nope, you're the snitch hall monitor.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#127819 Oct 5, 2012
Funny, poly. I have a book that says the Exodus IS real...
Sorry, but the actual facts don't support your "evidence".

Southern Illinois

#127820 Oct 5, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Eagle, You proved you can be humurous and intelligent. If all your posts were as good as this one, I know several 'non-believers' who would respect you.
:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127821 Oct 5, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he made a reality point.
Archeology in the Middle East is repressed by both sides because of the political implications. Since 1949 the archeology and history of the area has been little science and more "prove my religion".
No, he didn't. Questioning a story whose only evidence is from the bible is not antisemitism. That's ridiculous. He compared 'exodus denial' with holocaust denial, do you really think they're on the same level?

Location hidden

#127822 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Worth responding to. True.
How so? I am genuinely asking you to give me a primer in Dave world theory. Prove it, and don't tell me to swing magnets around.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127823 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let it go, Scar.
This Eagle dude will never rise above moronic.
Let's take the Jewish approach and passover his post.
You're probably right.

lolerbat...

However, I responded. I'll see how it goes from here.

Southern Illinois

#127824 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you need it to be slave labor so badly, despite the findings of archaeology?
I see your problem here as a general problem of your religion - it denies science. You deny biological science, history and now archaeology.
What you're doing is precisely what the Exodus story in the OT does: creating a mythological story to give you a religious identity.
If you really look at the archeology for the area you will find itís sparse. Iím not talking about pyramids per say. Lots of archeology there but beyond that it is very scarce.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127825 Oct 5, 2012
EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you stopped beating your wife?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#127826 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
?
You liked that, eh?
Go ahead, get ready, I'll be in there before long.
NOW is it bedtime?

You need to recharge those magnets, you know.

Location hidden

#127827 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really look at the archeology for the area you will find itís sparse. Iím not talking about pyramids per say. Lots of archeology there but beyond that it is very scarce.
Even if this were true, so what? You are basically saying that if the bible says something, and there is no historical evidence to confirm or deny it, then it is by default true. Do you realize how absurd that is?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127828 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>How so? I am genuinely asking you to give me a primer in Dave world theory. Prove it, and don't tell me to swing magnets around.
Go back through my posts for the last 2 years.

If I thought you were sincere, which I know you aren't, I would consider posting an update of them.

It's all basic applied physics expanded. No voodoo.

“Proverbs 12:16”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#127829 Oct 5, 2012
EMS Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW the technical name is Leiden Payprus #344 it is located in the National Archeological Museum in Netherlands.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127830 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you try reading what the archaeologists have to say:

http://www.ekt.bme.hu/CM-BSC-MSC/WhoBuiltTheP...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr Eagle 12 2,596
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 7 hr Morse 194
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 7 hr Morse 7
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 7 hr Morse 35
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 8 hr Morse 161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Morse 1,450
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 8 hr Morse 4,523
More from around the web