Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
123,321 - 123,340 of 226,267 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127784 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You had to put up a false quote to make your joke?
Define 'false.'

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127785 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Define 'false.'
Modern cosmology. Topix Atheist "science". Topix Atheist intelligence.

Oh, sorry. Those were examples.

As far as defining false, not actual, or something like that.

Location hidden

#127786 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern cosmology. Topix Atheist "science". Topix Atheist intelligence.
Oh, sorry. Those were examples.
As far as defining false, not actual, or something like that.
But can't something not be true, but still be true?

Also, why the insults? Either prove that you have a better theory that can stand on its own, not hide in holes poked in existing theory, or please cut it out. You are like a broken record.

"science is wrong. All of it. I know because I tied a magnet to my finger."

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127787 Oct 5, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> We're talking about the "Exodus", correct. Until there is proof of that, it holds no more relevance than any other myth, or mythological creature.
<quoted text> Early Semitic and more specifically, Canaanite origins. Along with influences from other older and preexisting cultures.
That is how all cultures work and evolve.
<quoted text> Implementation and historicizing of a legendary or mythic event.
<quoted text> Straw man fallacy, and Red herring fallacy.
Why supply a fallacious forms of argumentation?
Ahh, right, you have nothing else.
<quoted text> They did. Along with other reasons, too.
<quoted text> Red herring fallacy.
I'm not discussing whether the Jews lived in the region, historically.
This discussion concerns there being no proof for the biblical "Exodus", in history and historical archaeology.
<quoted text> No, we're looking at the actual and available archaeological history.
The adherents of your religion want to dispute that, based on a biblical story, for which there is no proof.
<quoted text> The Israeli Department of Antiquities has not found any evidence for the mythical conquest of Canaan, as well, which would have immediately followed the, "Exodus/40 year exile in the wilderness".
So, it's not just the "Exodus" that does not have any proof. There is no proof for that entire mythical story line concerning Moses and the Exodus, or Joshua's subsequent conquest of Canaan.
That is the case for the overwhelming majority of the bible, both OT and NT.
There're political implications that prevents real evidence from coming forward regarding to the Exodus story. These blocks and obstacles stand in the way of truth. These nations that have a deep seated hatred for Israel will never admit to the Exodus.

Celebrations and Holidays can be traced back in time as to their origins. For example we have the Forth of July in the United States. Mexico has Cinco de Mayo. France has Bastille day. The Jews have the Passover.

The Passover has its origins from Exodus. It in itself is evidence. Denying the Passover is an act of antisemitism. Youíre saying to the Jews, you have no historical record.

Hey look, stick you head in the sand or put on blinders if it makes your day. Telling the Jews the Passover didnít happen is like telling a Texan the Alamo never happened. We know different and both the Alamo and the Exodus happened.

Location hidden

#127788 Oct 5, 2012
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_f...

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/infpoint.ht...

The above are outstanding examples of how to get kids off drugs, and into permanent disconnect from reality. Immerse them in math and math based physics,

The second link is a great example of how thinking in math formulas accomplishes that. You have this magical expansion on paper. Numbers jumping to numbers. No physicality to visualize or links explaining the expansion and how it could be done.

People more based in real physics would visualize it another way. A botanist or carpenter might see it as a bud forming and expanding out into the greater universe. A chemist may see a crystal expanding. But these math guys see magic. All of their physics and cosmology is based upon this magic of theoretical numbers just expanding and dancing around. Voodoo physics. Gets their heads warped.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127789 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
These three "thoughts" are incomplete sentences.
You get a gold star by your name and get to sit next to the teacher. When the teacher steps out of the class you get to write down all the names of all the boys who misbehave. A job usually held by girls. Since you have a tattle-tale mentality, you get to do it.

Oh what the hell go ahead and write my name on the board. Cause you know Iím going to smile and flip the bird at you as soon as the teacher leaves.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127790 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There're political implications that prevents real evidence from coming forward regarding to the Exodus story. These blocks and obstacles stand in the way of truth. These nations that have a deep seated hatred for Israel will never admit to the Exodus.
Celebrations and Holidays can be traced back in time as to their origins. For example we have the Forth of July in the United States. Mexico has Cinco de Mayo. France has Bastille day. The Jews have the Passover.
The Passover has its origins from Exodus. It in itself is evidence. Denying the Passover is an act of antisemitism. Youíre saying to the Jews, you have no historical record.
Hey look, stick you head in the sand or put on blinders if it makes your day. Telling the Jews the Passover didnít happen is like telling a Texan the Alamo never happened. We know different and both the Alamo and the Exodus happened.
Let it go, Scar.

This Eagle dude will never rise above moronic.

Let's take the Jewish approach and passover his post.

San Francisco, CA

#127791 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You get a gold star by your name and get to sit next to the teacher. When the teacher steps out of the class you get to write down all the names of all the boys who misbehave. A job usually held by girls. Since you have a tattle-tale mentality, you get to do it.
Oh what the hell go ahead and write my name on the board. Cause you know Iím going to smile and flip the bird at you as soon as the teacher leaves.
Hey.

I AM the teacher.

And you have earned an F so far.

Location hidden

#127792 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>But can't something not be true, but still be true?
Also, why the insults? Either prove that you have a better theory that can stand on its own, not hide in holes poked in existing theory, or please cut it out. You are like a broken record.
"science is wrong. All of it. I know because I tied a magnet to my finger."
Amusing.

San Francisco, CA

#127793 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
Isn't it bedtime yet?

Location hidden

#127794 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it bedtime yet?
?

You liked that, eh?

Go ahead, get ready, I'll be in there before long.

Location hidden

#127795 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are starting to get ridiculous. Questioning a story that is of very questionable historical veracity is antisemitism? Do you have nothing else to fall back on?

There is no evidence. Stop making excuses and just believe it on faith. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Don't be a doubting Thomas now.

Location hidden

#127796 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wri ght/cosmology_faq.html
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/infpoint.ht...
The above are outstanding examples of how to get kids off drugs, and into permanent disconnect from reality. Immerse them in math and math based physics,
The second link is a great example of how thinking in math formulas accomplishes that. You have this magical expansion on paper. Numbers jumping to numbers. No physicality to visualize or links explaining the expansion and how it could be done.
People more based in real physics would visualize it another way. A botanist or carpenter might see it as a bud forming and expanding out into the greater universe. A chemist may see a crystal expanding. But these math guys see magic. All of their physics and cosmology is based upon this magic of theoretical numbers just expanding and dancing around. Voodoo physics. Gets their heads warped.
And an electrician might see magnets everywhere.

Location hidden

#127797 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
And of course, nothing.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#127798 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Eagle, You proved you can be humurous and intelligent. If all your posts were as good as this one, I know several 'non-believers' who would respect you.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#127799 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are starting to get ridiculous. Questioning a story that is of very questionable historical veracity is antisemitism? Do you have nothing else to fall back on?
There is no evidence. Stop making excuses and just believe it on faith. Isn't that what you are supposed to do? Don't be a doubting Thomas now.
Actually he made a reality point.

Archeology in the Middle East is repressed by both sides because of the political implications. Since 1949 the archeology and history of the area has been little science and more "prove my religion".

“Love much, trust none”

There

#127800 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And an electrician might see magnets everywhere.
It's "coils" my friend. Coils!

<evil laugh>

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127802 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Darling, the pyramids are evidence of a hell of a lot of labor. A gargantuan labor pool.
How can you just look the other way and pretend these pyramids werenít built on slave labor?
Evidence in the form of:

1. accounting writings (food and pay for laborers)
2. laborer graves
3. descriptions of where the laborers come from, when they worked
4. descriptions of slaves in Egypt
During the time period, slavery was used by every powerful nation in the world. Egypt could not have supported these massive projects without the use of slaves. It was free labor! Now the task masters and engineers had to be Egyptians. So there were Egyptians helping to build the pyramids.
Sure. Provide some archaeological evidence, as I have to back up your bold assertions.
What is the motivation to deny the use of slaves?
The Egyptians, Syrians and every neighbor of the Jewish nation in the region hate Israel. Thereís no way in hell theyíre ever going to give credence to the using slave labor. Nor will they report any archeological finds that supports biblical accounts.
Doing so would legitimize Israelís place in history and their modern day statehood. I donít expect you to agree with what Iím saying. Because the denying of evidence by these countries fitís the atheist ideology.
The archaeology is often done by Jews, supported by Israel. They have every reason to say "gosh, look the Bible is legitimate" but they don't, because they're trained archaeologists. And the nation of Israel is stronger than that - they don't need to deny the findings of archaeology to feel good about themselves. They freely acknowledge what the Bible is: a mythology designed to provide cultural identity to the ancient Israelites.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#127803 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, I have an archeology book written by a couple of Israeli scholars who acknowledge that the Exodus is a fairy tale.
Sorry, but the actual facts don't support your viewpoint.

Location hidden

#127804 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>And of course, nothing.
Worth responding to. True.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 min Patrick 54
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 32 min Thinking 901
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 35 min Thinking 19
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr MUQ1 21,499
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr Thinking 403
100% Faith Free 4 hr Reason Personified 10
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 4 hr Patrick 41
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••