Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
123,301 - 123,320 of 226,603 Comments Last updated 34 min ago

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127764 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Pyramids are evidence of labor, not slave labor.
Why do you choose to ignore new information, like the article I quoted for you that discussed the findings of an archaeologist?
It's a weak belief system that only seeks to support itself - a lot like Sadam Husein's gov't.
Strong belief systems challenge their beliefs, test the boundaries. Do we really know what we know? How accurate is what we know?
None of you theists do this. Dave is happy to pretend in his delusions that he has it all figured out. You're making the same mistake here and with other knowledge.
I don't. I actively test my knowledge and actively disbelieve it. That keeps my knowledge up to date, secure in a way yours can never be. You'll always be fighting new information whereas I'll be pondering it.
Darling, the pyramids are evidence of a hell of a lot of labor. A gargantuan labor pool.

How can you just look the other way and pretend these pyramids werenít built on slave labor?

During the time period, slavery was used by every powerful nation in the world. Egypt could not have supported these massive projects without the use of slaves. It was free labor! Now the task masters and engineers had to be Egyptians. So there were Egyptians helping to build the pyramids.

What is the motivation to deny the use of slaves?

The Egyptians, Syrians and every neighbor of the Jewish nation in the region hate Israel. Thereís no way in hell theyíre ever going to give credence to the using slave labor. Nor will they report any archeological finds that supports biblical accounts.

Doing so would legitimize Israelís place in history and their modern day statehood. I donít expect you to agree with what Iím saying. Because the denying of evidence by these countries fitís the atheist ideology.
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

#127765 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, history has never been free of agenda - ever. People throughout history have been politically motivated. Sometimes they rewrite history so that we don't actually know what went on in the absence of corroborating evidence. Fortunately, the methodologies of archaeology and history can work out likely scenarios for what went on in the past.
As can historical method. You have two accounts Egyptian and Hebrew. Critics are far more critical of Hebrew as it relate to the Old Testament. When you look at both accounts there are some interesting parallels. They have the records of the Pharoahs and their accomplishments in warfare and building construction which jibes with Scripture accounts for that period in many ways. The Exodus as history is plausable to say the least if one looks at all the available evidence with an open mind using historical method. More later. Got the info at home. At work now.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127766 Oct 5, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a very large absence of any evidence at all that would prove the "Exodus", also.
To this day, the bones of the Minotaur have not been found, nevertheless, we can't prove the Minotaur did not exist.
To this day, vampires have not been disproved.
To this day, fire breathing dragons have not been disproved.
Allah has not been disproved.
Vishnu has not been disproved.
The Pope Lick Monster has not been disproved.
In each of the above, there is a massive absence of evidence that does not prove they represent reality.
We haven't disproved them, however, because you need something that can be first proved or at least examined and evaluated, before you can attempt to disprove it.
A story in a book, or a belief, is not proof in and of itself in any way, unless there is non biased and compelling evidence to support that story or belief.
Your biblical based religious deity belief happens to be in the same category as all of the examples I pointed out above.
It is not me that makes it that way.
Letís stay focused, weíre not talking about vampires, dragons, and other characters which have nothing to do with the Exodus.

Where do you think the Jewish ethnicity, religion, and culture came from?

Where do you think the Jewish celebration of the Passover came from?

Iranís President Ahmadinejad would agree with you that the Exodus didnít happen and there was never a holocaust.

1948 the United Nations gave Israel a homeland based on ancient history. A history that is being denied today by atheist and Muslim countries.

You guys (atheist) are looking at these Muslim countries for your evidence. These countries will never bone up and supply evidence of Israelís place in history.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127767 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Tax records would show where you lived before you moved. They would show how you were treated on the job, your pay, benefits, etc.
Egyptians left records behind, too. And these quite clearly demonstrate the laborers of the pyramids were not slaves, no matter what your Hollywood Bible fantasies are.
Slaves didn't pay taxes. They were property of the State.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#127768 Oct 5, 2012
I agree hiding is a wonderfully intelligent lady who has the patience of a saint teaching Dave the special Ed Fred of the forum.

She deserves far more respect and mad props for that. I always read every word of any of her posts and appreciate them. With so many ignoramuses on here screaming about God will send us to hell her posts are a welcome light in the darkness of the God believing rejects.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127769 Oct 5, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I agree hiding is a wonderfully intelligent lady who has the patience of a saint teaching Dave the special Ed Fred of the forum.
She deserves far more respect and mad props for that. I always read every word of any of her posts and appreciate them. With so many ignoramuses on here screaming about God will send us to hell her posts are a welcome light in the darkness of the God believing rejects.
<quoted text>
It is nice Hiding has someone to look up to her. The boost is good for her ego.

From your performance on here, it is easy to see why you would look up to her, and many, many others.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#127770 Oct 5, 2012
The pyramids were a heavily competed for job because all workers received not only generous pay but recognition in society regardless if they were artisans or manual laborers. People travels from all over the region just to try to get their foot in the door doing anything on the projects. For the social status in society alone if nothing else.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Darling, the pyramids are evidence of a hell of a lot of labor. A gargantuan labor pool.
How can you just look the other way and pretend these pyramids werenít built on slave labor?
During the time period, slavery was used by every powerful nation in the world. Egypt could not have supported these massive projects without the use of slaves. It was free labor! Now the task masters and engineers had to be Egyptians. So there were Egyptians helping to build the pyramids.
What is the motivation to deny the use of slaves?
The Egyptians, Syrians and every neighbor of the Jewish nation in the region hate Israel. Thereís no way in hell theyíre ever going to give credence to the using slave labor. Nor will they report any archeological finds that supports biblical accounts.
Doing so would legitimize Israelís place in history and their modern day statehood. I donít expect you to agree with what Iím saying. Because the denying of evidence by these countries fitís the atheist ideology.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#127771 Oct 5, 2012
I could give you the real answers to those questions but as before you wouldn't like the truth.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Letís stay focused, weíre not talking about vampires, dragons, and other characters which have nothing to do with the Exodus.
Where do you think the Jewish ethnicity, religion, and culture came from?
Where do you think the Jewish celebration of the Passover came from?
Iranís President Ahmadinejad would agree with you that the Exodus didnít happen and there was never a holocaust.
1948 the United Nations gave Israel a homeland based on ancient history. A history that is being denied today by atheist and Muslim countries.
You guys (atheist) are looking at these Muslim countries for your evidence. These countries will never bone up and supply evidence of Israelís place in history.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127772 Oct 5, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I could give you the real answers to those questions but as before you wouldn't like the truth.
<quoted text>
The truth?

Like the Egyptians put up a bid?

Then hired a contractor with the lowest bid?

Well the contractor so happened to be ďAbraham & Sons Inc.Ē

No one could out bid them because they supplied free labor.

The truth is it was forced labor. Slave labor.

Since: Mar 11

United States

#127773 Oct 5, 2012
Did I say lowest bid? Nope.

They had no reason to do so people traveled from neighboring kingdoms begging to be part of the project. It was a huge bump in your status to have been a part of it.

Turn off the Ten Commandments and read a real book.

But as you said before you are only interested in what they teach in church.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>The truth?

Like the Egyptians put up a bid?

Then hired a contractor with the lowest bid?

Well the contractor so happened to be ¬ďAbraham & Sons Inc.¬Ē

No one could out bid them because they supplied free labor.

The truth is it was forced labor. Slave labor.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127774 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth?
Like the Egyptians put up a bid?
Then hired a contractor with the lowest bid?
Well the contractor so happened to be ďAbraham & Sons Inc.Ē
No one could out bid them because they supplied free labor.
The truth is it was forced labor. Slave labor.
So you keep saying.

Prove it.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127775 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth?
Like the Egyptians put up a bid?
Then hired a contractor with the lowest bid?
Well the contractor so happened to be ďAbraham & Sons Inc.Ē
No one could out bid them because they supplied free labor.
The truth is it was forced labor. Slave labor.
According to the bible and absolutely nothing else. You need to realize that although its all well and good that you believe this stuff, you aren't going to convince a skeptic of the exodus story by pointing at the bible and saying that we can't prove it wrong. You are right, we can't, and if that's all the proof you need, good for you, but please stop acting like it should be good enough for everyone else.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127776 Oct 5, 2012
A group of cheerleaders at a Texas High School make a banner with a scripture on it that says,ďHebrews 12:1 ó that reads:ďAnd let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.Ē

The school district makes them remove the banner. The kids and their parents believing this to be a violation of their kids right to freedom of religion. So they take the issue to court and won.

My view depends on where the signs were made. If they were made on school property with school paper and supplies. Then the courts should have ruled against the signs.

If the signs were made at home and the material paid for by the parents. Then brought to the game. There shouldnít be a problem with the banners being displayed in the bleachers. That would be exercising the freedom of religion.

Personally I think the courts should have ruled against the signs. Because I suspect the banners were made at the school and then posted at school. What if the banner had a passage from the Koran? Or perhaps some other religious book?

Your thoughts?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127777 Oct 5, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>According to the bible and absolutely nothing else. You need to realize that although its all well and good that you believe this stuff, you aren't going to convince a skeptic of the exodus story by pointing at the bible and saying that we can't prove it wrong. You are right, we can't, and if that's all the proof you need, good for you, but please stop acting like it should be good enough for everyone else.
I admire you honesty and truthfulness in this matter.

Thank you.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127778 Oct 5, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Did I say lowest bid? Nope.
They had no reason to do so people traveled from neighboring kingdoms begging to be part of the project. It was a huge bump in your status to have been a part of it.
Turn off the Ten Commandments and read a real book.
But as you said before you are only interested in what they teach in church.
<quoted text>
That very well could have been the case. Except for the fact that slavery was a major part of the time period. And a super power like Egypt couldnít have that kind of power without slavery. I mean who are we kidding, if we donít believe slavery was used?

If Hoover Dam had been built in this time period in Egypt. I guarantee you slaves would have been used. Slavery was a part of the landscape. Egypt was no different than any other nation in the region.

If you were the Pharaoh and had a choice between free labor or paid labor which would you have chosen? If you go with paid labor you wonít be able to do major projects without depleting the national treasury.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127779 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
The kids and their parents believing this to be a violation of their kids right to freedom of religion.

If they were made on school property with school paper and supplies.

If the signs were made at home and the material paid for by the parents.
These three "thoughts" are incomplete sentences.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127780 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire you honesty and truthfulness in this matter.
Thank you.
I was really just pointing out the obvious. Not being able to prove something wrong doesn't mean anything. I also can't prove the world wasn't made by elves.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#127781 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need me or anyone else to be a goof.
Okay Davey we believe you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127782 Oct 5, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Davey we believe you.
You had to put up a false quote to make your joke?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127783 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Letís stay focused, weíre not talking about vampires, dragons, and other characters which have nothing to do with the Exodus.
We're talking about the "Exodus", correct. Until there is proof of that, it holds no more relevance than any other myth, or mythological creature.
Eagle12 wrote:
Where do you think the Jewish ethnicity, religion, and culture came from?
Early Semitic and more specifically, Canaanite origins. Along with influences from other older and preexisting cultures.

That is how all cultures work and evolve.
Eagle12 wrote:
Where do you think the Jewish celebration of the Passover came from?
Implementation and historicizing of a legendary or mythic event.
Eagle12 wrote:
Iranís President Ahmadinejad would agree with you that the Exodus didnít happen and there was never a holocaust.
Straw man fallacy, and Red herring fallacy.

Why supply a fallacious forms of argumentation?

Ahh, right, you have nothing else.
Eagle12 wrote:
1948 the United Nations gave Israel a homeland based on ancient history.
They did. Along with other reasons, too.
Eagle12 wrote:
A history that is being denied today by atheist and Muslim countries.
Red herring fallacy.

I'm not discussing whether the Jews lived in the region, historically.

This discussion concerns there being no proof for the biblical "Exodus", in history and historical archaeology.
Eagle12 wrote:
You guys (atheist) are looking at these Muslim countries for your evidence.
No, we're looking at the actual and available archaeological history.

The adherents of your religion want to dispute that, based on a biblical story, for which there is no proof.
Eagle12 wrote:
These countries will never bone up and supply evidence of Israelís place in history.
The Israeli Department of Antiquities has not found any evidence for the mythical conquest of Canaan, as well, which would have immediately followed the, "Exodus/40 year exile in the wilderness".

So, it's not just the "Exodus" that does not have any proof. There is no proof for that entire mythical story line concerning Moses and the Exodus, or Joshua's subsequent conquest of Canaan.

That is the case for the overwhelming majority of the bible, both OT and NT.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 21 min MUQ1 21,535
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 5 hr Amused 17
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 8 hr Jaimie 62
Our world came from nothing? 8 hr Thinking 438
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 19 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 23 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist Mon _Bad Company 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••