Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127748 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.
So what?

I forgot while discussing your religion last night to bring up the point of it constantly revising things. Per your words.

Revisionism seems to be a major constituent of it.

Figures.

Location hidden

#127749 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent defense of your position, Dave.
One of your best, most cogent arguments.
Keep it up.
I see my attempt to communicate on your level is bearing fruit. Thank you.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127750 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.

I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.

These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.

Location hidden

#127752 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.
I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.
These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.
You are adorable.

So innocent in your thinking.

Go back and rejoin the tea party with your friends, little one.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127753 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has more than qualified for the white sheet.

I want to reserve the right to goof on him though, so I'm keeping him alive.

He has been getting worse lately. I think he's on the edge of losing it altogether. We are his life at this point, and he needs to feel, if not powerful or important, at least that he has some influence on others, or that he is listened to.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#127754 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Since time is relative, is it possible to conceive of more than one dimension of it? Why do most physics models only use one dimension of it?
Having two dimensions of time causes issues with causality (even of the limited version in QM), closed time-like loops, tachyonic particles, and a few other more technical issues. That said, there are suggestions of how to get around these issues and multiple time dimensions *are* studied:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2485

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127755 Oct 5, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having two dimensions of time causes issues with causality (even of the limited version in QM), closed time-like loops, tachyonic particles, and a few other more technical issues. That said, there are suggestions of how to get around these issues and multiple time dimensions *are* studied:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2485
Thanks! The abstract was interesting - and readable, since they didn't include math :)

This part was particularly interesting: "the possibility that quantum dynamics emerges as a consequence of a second time dimension"

I always though the universe was quantized at the smallest levels because of the dimensions of space - trying to wrap my head around them being quantized b/c of a second dimension of time.

I can get the article through the uni, but I bet you any money they make it unreadable to us non-physicists by using math :p
:p
:p

Location hidden

#127756 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He has been getting worse lately. I think he's on the edge of losing it altogether. We are his life at this point, and he needs to feel, if not powerful or important, at least that he has some influence on others, or that he is listened to.
You don't need me or anyone else to be a goof.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127757 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't expect or even ask anyone to do as I do.

I think he's upset b/c I've been riding him hard on his delusions lately. If you were to go back over the past few pages, he made all these baseless assertions to which Poly and I responded to. In each case, when it becomes clear to Dave that he's 1) not being listened to and 2) being corrected and even laughed at, he invokes cuss words while losing his composure.

When I was reading Poly's stuff to Dave - Poly is always interesting and has reinforced the physics of my younger days(I once thought I was going to be a physicist - silly me!)- and realized that Dave is genuinely delusional and that it's not fun to make fun of the mentally incompetent. It's not their fault - not like it is with the willfully ignorant (i.e., creationists).

Moonbeam fits him quite well, but isn't especially nice, as a nickname.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127758 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need me or anyone else to be a goof.
I know dude.

I'm just hoping you recover, a little anyway.

Location hidden

#127759 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't expect or even ask anyone to do as I do.
I think he's upset b/c I've been riding him hard on his delusions lately. If you were to go back over the past few pages, he made all these baseless assertions to which Poly and I responded to. In each case, when it becomes clear to Dave that he's 1) not being listened to and 2) being corrected and even laughed at, he invokes cuss words while losing his composure.
When I was reading Poly's stuff to Dave - Poly is always interesting and has reinforced the physics of my younger days(I once thought I was going to be a physicist - silly me!)- and realized that Dave is genuinely delusional and that it's not fun to make fun of the mentally incompetent. It's not their fault - not like it is with the willfully ignorant (i.e., creationists).
Moonbeam fits him quite well, but isn't especially nice, as a nickname.
Moonbeams shed some light. Dingalings just make noise when shaken.

I can understand why you couldn't become a physicist.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127760 Oct 5, 2012
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>You can't prove a flying spaghetti monster didn't create the world, so your argument is meaningless. Burden of proof, my friend.
Of course I realize you are over reaching for some type response. A bit elementary and ridiculous analogy you have created there. Iím open to any proof that you can muster to prove it didnít happen.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#127761 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Since time is relative, is it possible to conceive of more than one dimension of it? Why do most physics models only use one dimension of it?
Since time and space are relative to each observer, is it possible to construct individual universes as models? I mean...doesn't each person therefore live in their own universe, since time and space are relative?
If you use some version of string theory that makes all the forces basically expressions of gravity - can you graphically represent that? What is the math derived from?
Would a GUT string theory predict, say, the Planck length?
2T physics is interesting.

http://physics1.usc.edu/~bars/research.html#2...

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#127762 Oct 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
I had sex with a new girl last night. She'd never done a gimp before. Now she has something to talk about.
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
God wants better than that for you.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
River Tam, God wants you to have two new girls.
.. is your passport still valid ??..

Location hidden

#127763 Oct 5, 2012
Shit.

It's getting cold out there today.

Southern Illinois

#127764 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Pyramids are evidence of labor, not slave labor.
Why do you choose to ignore new information, like the article I quoted for you that discussed the findings of an archaeologist?
It's a weak belief system that only seeks to support itself - a lot like Sadam Husein's gov't.
Strong belief systems challenge their beliefs, test the boundaries. Do we really know what we know? How accurate is what we know?
None of you theists do this. Dave is happy to pretend in his delusions that he has it all figured out. You're making the same mistake here and with other knowledge.
I don't. I actively test my knowledge and actively disbelieve it. That keeps my knowledge up to date, secure in a way yours can never be. You'll always be fighting new information whereas I'll be pondering it.
Darling, the pyramids are evidence of a hell of a lot of labor. A gargantuan labor pool.

How can you just look the other way and pretend these pyramids werenít built on slave labor?

During the time period, slavery was used by every powerful nation in the world. Egypt could not have supported these massive projects without the use of slaves. It was free labor! Now the task masters and engineers had to be Egyptians. So there were Egyptians helping to build the pyramids.

What is the motivation to deny the use of slaves?

The Egyptians, Syrians and every neighbor of the Jewish nation in the region hate Israel. Thereís no way in hell theyíre ever going to give credence to the using slave labor. Nor will they report any archeological finds that supports biblical accounts.

Doing so would legitimize Israelís place in history and their modern day statehood. I donít expect you to agree with what Iím saying. Because the denying of evidence by these countries fitís the atheist ideology.
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

#127765 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, history has never been free of agenda - ever. People throughout history have been politically motivated. Sometimes they rewrite history so that we don't actually know what went on in the absence of corroborating evidence. Fortunately, the methodologies of archaeology and history can work out likely scenarios for what went on in the past.
As can historical method. You have two accounts Egyptian and Hebrew. Critics are far more critical of Hebrew as it relate to the Old Testament. When you look at both accounts there are some interesting parallels. They have the records of the Pharoahs and their accomplishments in warfare and building construction which jibes with Scripture accounts for that period in many ways. The Exodus as history is plausable to say the least if one looks at all the available evidence with an open mind using historical method. More later. Got the info at home. At work now.

Southern Illinois

#127766 Oct 5, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a very large absence of any evidence at all that would prove the "Exodus", also.
To this day, the bones of the Minotaur have not been found, nevertheless, we can't prove the Minotaur did not exist.
To this day, vampires have not been disproved.
To this day, fire breathing dragons have not been disproved.
Allah has not been disproved.
Vishnu has not been disproved.
The Pope Lick Monster has not been disproved.
In each of the above, there is a massive absence of evidence that does not prove they represent reality.
We haven't disproved them, however, because you need something that can be first proved or at least examined and evaluated, before you can attempt to disprove it.
A story in a book, or a belief, is not proof in and of itself in any way, unless there is non biased and compelling evidence to support that story or belief.
Your biblical based religious deity belief happens to be in the same category as all of the examples I pointed out above.
It is not me that makes it that way.
Letís stay focused, weíre not talking about vampires, dragons, and other characters which have nothing to do with the Exodus.

Where do you think the Jewish ethnicity, religion, and culture came from?

Where do you think the Jewish celebration of the Passover came from?

Iranís President Ahmadinejad would agree with you that the Exodus didnít happen and there was never a holocaust.

1948 the United Nations gave Israel a homeland based on ancient history. A history that is being denied today by atheist and Muslim countries.

You guys (atheist) are looking at these Muslim countries for your evidence. These countries will never bone up and supply evidence of Israelís place in history.

Southern Illinois

#127767 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Tax records would show where you lived before you moved. They would show how you were treated on the job, your pay, benefits, etc.
Egyptians left records behind, too. And these quite clearly demonstrate the laborers of the pyramids were not slaves, no matter what your Hollywood Bible fantasies are.
Slaves didn't pay taxes. They were property of the State.

United States

#127768 Oct 5, 2012
I agree hiding is a wonderfully intelligent lady who has the patience of a saint teaching Dave the special Ed Fred of the forum.

She deserves far more respect and mad props for that. I always read every word of any of her posts and appreciate them. With so many ignoramuses on here screaming about God will send us to hell her posts are a welcome light in the darkness of the God believing rejects.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 18 min Richardfs 166
God' existence 1 hr polymath257 84
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr serfs up 2,606
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr J RULES 23,239
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 6 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 hr Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 6 hr Morse 369
More from around the web