Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127743 Oct 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is how history works. Free of agendas. Unlike yours. I can provide more if you like. The fact you cannot answer the question does not make it meaningless. You assume it is all made up but like others have demonstrated. You cannot prove it did not happen. More later. You need to free your mind of your fixed assumptions and you continued revisionist history. You call all the ancients liars.
No, history has never been free of agenda - ever. People throughout history have been politically motivated. Sometimes they rewrite history so that we don't actually know what went on in the absence of corroborating evidence. Fortunately, the methodologies of archaeology and history can work out likely scenarios for what went on in the past.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127744 Oct 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is how history works. Free of agendas. Unlike yours. I can provide more if you like. The fact you cannot answer the question does not make it meaningless. You assume it is all made up but like others have demonstrated. You cannot prove it did not happen. More later. You need to free your mind of your fixed assumptions and you continued revisionist history. You call all the ancients liars.
LULZ...
You only believe "your ancients". All others, in your opinion, are fakes.

Do you believe Vishnu exists?

Why?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127745 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
You use those words informed and educated so much as a basis of intelligence.
You don't understand those words. They both denote being programmed.
Who is programming you, little girl? Do you expect this programming to bear fruit?
You do understand that it would be easier to dump all of that info and logic rules into a computer and get better faster and results than into a confused human head?
No, you don't.
If you had true intelligence, you would examine your programming for errors.
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.

San Francisco, CA

#127746 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally full of shit
Excellent defense of your position, Dave.

One of your best, most cogent arguments.

Keep it up.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127747 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetness, I don't think you are mean. You are just making do the best you can with the abilities you have. I can't take you serious enough to be offended by your "making fun of me".
Seriously.
<hug>
You're an ass and you're insane. In plain terms, I feel guilt, for it is no contest whatsoever matching my wit against yours. You know nothing. You make everything up and fantasize that your delusions have some basis in reality - all the while laughing maniacally at disciplines of knowledge production that use rigorous techniques to produce their knowledge.

You have great and unending sour grapes at your position as an educator - which is nil. Zero. No one should listen to any of your fantasies when you rant about science; only the grossly uninformed and naive would find what your write compelling.

I feel bad for you. I'm sure it's not your fault. You wrote that you have some kind of brain damage that happened with the NDE. That might not be the whole story, but whatever, it doesn't matter. It's not fair for me to bother you with reality. You're welcome to your fantasies.

Further, there's nothing in it for me, except to feel better about myself by comparison to you. I can't learn from you, except what it means to be a spiteful, small theist who despises others for their growth and intellectual freedom. You have nothing else to teach, nothing worth listening to. Oh, I suppose you could teach something about your previous job as an electrician. Sure, there is that.

And if you weren't such an ass, I would have just left it, but you always need to feel superior by throwing the last spite. So here, these are my reasons for not bothering with you anymore. You have nothing but delusions of knowledge and disdain for those of real learning. You are quite boring for it.

Good bye.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127748 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.
So what?

I forgot while discussing your religion last night to bring up the point of it constantly revising things. Per your words.

Revisionism seems to be a major constituent of it.

Figures.

Location hidden

#127749 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent defense of your position, Dave.
One of your best, most cogent arguments.
Keep it up.
I see my attempt to communicate on your level is bearing fruit. Thank you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127750 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.

I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.

These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.

Location hidden

#127752 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.
I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.
These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.
You are adorable.

So innocent in your thinking.

Go back and rejoin the tea party with your friends, little one.

San Francisco, CA

#127753 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave has more than qualified for the white sheet.

I want to reserve the right to goof on him though, so I'm keeping him alive.

He has been getting worse lately. I think he's on the edge of losing it altogether. We are his life at this point, and he needs to feel, if not powerful or important, at least that he has some influence on others, or that he is listened to.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#127754 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Since time is relative, is it possible to conceive of more than one dimension of it? Why do most physics models only use one dimension of it?
Having two dimensions of time causes issues with causality (even of the limited version in QM), closed time-like loops, tachyonic particles, and a few other more technical issues. That said, there are suggestions of how to get around these issues and multiple time dimensions *are* studied:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2485

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127755 Oct 5, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having two dimensions of time causes issues with causality (even of the limited version in QM), closed time-like loops, tachyonic particles, and a few other more technical issues. That said, there are suggestions of how to get around these issues and multiple time dimensions *are* studied:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2485
Thanks! The abstract was interesting - and readable, since they didn't include math :)

This part was particularly interesting: "the possibility that quantum dynamics emerges as a consequence of a second time dimension"

I always though the universe was quantized at the smallest levels because of the dimensions of space - trying to wrap my head around them being quantized b/c of a second dimension of time.

I can get the article through the uni, but I bet you any money they make it unreadable to us non-physicists by using math :p
:p
:p

Location hidden

#127756 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He has been getting worse lately. I think he's on the edge of losing it altogether. We are his life at this point, and he needs to feel, if not powerful or important, at least that he has some influence on others, or that he is listened to.
You don't need me or anyone else to be a goof.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127757 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't expect or even ask anyone to do as I do.

I think he's upset b/c I've been riding him hard on his delusions lately. If you were to go back over the past few pages, he made all these baseless assertions to which Poly and I responded to. In each case, when it becomes clear to Dave that he's 1) not being listened to and 2) being corrected and even laughed at, he invokes cuss words while losing his composure.

When I was reading Poly's stuff to Dave - Poly is always interesting and has reinforced the physics of my younger days(I once thought I was going to be a physicist - silly me!)- and realized that Dave is genuinely delusional and that it's not fun to make fun of the mentally incompetent. It's not their fault - not like it is with the willfully ignorant (i.e., creationists).

Moonbeam fits him quite well, but isn't especially nice, as a nickname.

San Francisco, CA

#127758 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need me or anyone else to be a goof.
I know dude.

I'm just hoping you recover, a little anyway.

Location hidden

#127759 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't expect or even ask anyone to do as I do.
I think he's upset b/c I've been riding him hard on his delusions lately. If you were to go back over the past few pages, he made all these baseless assertions to which Poly and I responded to. In each case, when it becomes clear to Dave that he's 1) not being listened to and 2) being corrected and even laughed at, he invokes cuss words while losing his composure.
When I was reading Poly's stuff to Dave - Poly is always interesting and has reinforced the physics of my younger days(I once thought I was going to be a physicist - silly me!)- and realized that Dave is genuinely delusional and that it's not fun to make fun of the mentally incompetent. It's not their fault - not like it is with the willfully ignorant (i.e., creationists).
Moonbeam fits him quite well, but isn't especially nice, as a nickname.
Moonbeams shed some light. Dingalings just make noise when shaken.

I can understand why you couldn't become a physicist.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#127760 Oct 5, 2012
anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>You can't prove a flying spaghetti monster didn't create the world, so your argument is meaningless. Burden of proof, my friend.
Of course I realize you are over reaching for some type response. A bit elementary and ridiculous analogy you have created there. Iím open to any proof that you can muster to prove it didnít happen.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#127761 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Since time is relative, is it possible to conceive of more than one dimension of it? Why do most physics models only use one dimension of it?
Since time and space are relative to each observer, is it possible to construct individual universes as models? I mean...doesn't each person therefore live in their own universe, since time and space are relative?
If you use some version of string theory that makes all the forces basically expressions of gravity - can you graphically represent that? What is the math derived from?
Would a GUT string theory predict, say, the Planck length?
2T physics is interesting.

http://physics1.usc.edu/~bars/research.html#2...

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#127762 Oct 5, 2012
River Tam wrote:
I had sex with a new girl last night. She'd never done a gimp before. Now she has something to talk about.
Gate Keeper 1 wrote:
God wants better than that for you.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
River Tam, God wants you to have two new girls.
.. is your passport still valid ??..

Location hidden

#127763 Oct 5, 2012
Shit.

It's getting cold out there today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 min fadu singh 22,353
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 1 hr P_Smith 1
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 2 hr P_Smith 1
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 2 hr wondering 338
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 5 hr BeHereNow 134
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 5 hr Patrick 4,111
Becoming a parent changed everything. 5 hr Patrick 19
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE