Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#127732 Oct 5, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
How close do you have to be for this to happen? yes, the gravity of that rock is small. But that of the earth is larger. If that refrigerator magnet is more than a meter away, its influence can be ignored.
<quoted text>
Excess magnetism??? You are kidding, aren't you?
<quoted text>
I guess you're not. LMAO
<quoted text>
How about comparing the total EM force on the earth from the sun with the total gravitational force? Which would be larger and by how much?
<quoted text>
yes, the EM wave affects the rods and cones in your eyes *if* it is intense enough. Or, it can influence the CD camera *if* it is magnified and intensified by a telescope.
<quoted text>
What's to smoke? Nothing here that isn't very, very well known and part of standard science.
You are totally full of shit, and totally out of touch with the physical basis of physics. You just have no grasp of physical linkage.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127733 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Thank you dear sir!:)
Dave is the ignorant foil we use to answer questions. Honestly, I'd like a somewhat more informed, less insane foil, but this is what we got stuck with. Answering his level is a bit insulting to the readers, since they'd generally have greater education and not be delusional, but oh well. Sorry readers.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
You use those words informed and educated so much as a basis of intelligence.
Hey, no problem. Glad you're taking it well and performing your role to the best of your ability.

Keep up the good work, there's a hero cookie in it for you :)
:)
:)

Florence, KY

#127734 Oct 5, 2012
Hey you do get something out of that kind of prayer! Lol!
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>A kid walked by his mother's bedroom and saw her on the bed masturbating, saying, "Oh god, I need a man. Oh god, I need a man".

Two nights later, he walked by his mom's room and a naked man walked out, excused himself, went to the bathroom, urinated and walked back into his mom's room and closed the door. The boy immediately went back to his room, started masturbating furiously saying, "Oh god, I need a bicycle. Oh god, I need a bicycle.".

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127735 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally full of shit, and totally out of touch with the physical basis of physics. You just have no grasp of physical linkage.
Uh-oh, did someone have a widdle, iddy-biddy meltdown? Who had a meltdown, a widdle, iddy-biddy meltdown? It was you, Moonbeam. Yes it was! Yes it was! Who's a cute widdle meltdown boi? You are! Yes you are! You're such a cute widdle boi!

Don't let the big, bad physicist tell you how physics works! Don't let him bother you like that. One day, one day, without any evidence or rational, you'll prove to him who knows more about physics! Yes you will. Yes you will! And he will learn alllll about EM waves, won't he, won't he?!?

Who's a cute widdle boy? You are, yes you are! And you won't need any mathematical model or anything. No, you won't! No, you won't! No mathematical models, evidence or anything! Just pure imagination, devoid of all facts and reasoning - that's how real physics is made.

You'll show him that you just get it. All by yourself, all on your own. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay! It's just you!

Now have a warm cookie and forget all about the big, bad physicist.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127736 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
That was pretty weak.
Hang a 100 ton block of rock. Hang a one pound bar of steel perfectly parallel adjacent to it so it just rests against the surface. Approach, you don't even have to contact it, the one pound bar with a refrigerator magnet. It will pull the bar away from the block. The magnetism in that refrigerator will overcome the gravity pull of the block, PLUS the pull of gravity of the earth on the bar, as for it to swing away it has to rise up a bit. The arc of the string.
Iron filings in a flux field line up between the poles. Each filing is a separate magnet. You will get the same effect if you magnetize one filing, the rest will get caught in the filed and start adding up until the total excess of magnetism is used up.
The iron is EM neutral until an external magnetic field affects it, and it tries to pass that excess on.
Over 99% of the matter in the universe is not EM neutral.
I posted a link a few days ago about short bursts of inrafred light being used to change magnetic domains. This was mainstream science research. This was light, EM, introducing an excess of magnetism to an EM neutral material. How far does light travel in this universe? As far as you can see?
Light particles can travel at least 13 billion light years and alter the EM signature of a neutral material, then making it subject to other magnetic fields more local to it. Energy 13 billion years from the past.
Smoke that.
Oh my god. I apologize Dave. I'll stop making fun of you.
It really isn't your fault. And I'm a total ass for being mean to you.
Take care.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127737 Oct 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> And i am pointing out to you and everyone here around 2500 or so years ago those people believed the Exodus happened. You and others are saying they are wrong. Amenhotep II was not the first born son of his father and his first born son did not go to the throne. Remember the first born was to die? It is Thutmose III then Amenhotep II then Thutmose IV. Answer my question. Why would they write the Exodus as a marker if the event did not happen? 1 Kings 6:1
Your question is meaningless. For you to posit that because people believed in something 2000 years ago, or 4000 years ago, or 30 minutes ago, and still believe it, does not mean that a belief is true.

Let me illustrate something to you, again.

Why did people at one time believe in the Minotaur?

Why did people at one time believe in Heracles?

Why did people at one time believe in Attis?

Why did people at one time believe in Ra?

Why do people still believe in Ahura Mazda?

Why do people still believe in Allah?

Why do people still believe in Buddha?

Why do people still believe in Vishnu?

Why do people still believe in Satan?

Why do people still believe there are Vampires?

Why do people still believe there are Ghosts?

Why do people still believe there are Faerie Folk?

Why do people knock on wood?

Why do people say "bless you" after a sneeze?

Why do people put out cookies and milk for Santa?

Why do people put a horse shoe over the door?

Because sometimes, people will believe in anything and many things with very little reason to do so.

That belief is often taught, or is a tradition, or culturally instilled, and will have no real non biased supporting evidence that would suggest the belief represents reality.

People often and simply have a desire for whatever belief it happens to be that they embrace, to be, and they will use a faith to support that belief, in the absence of any evidence at all, in order to keep and maintain the belief.

Understand?

Westcliffe, CO

#127738 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my god. I apologize Dave. I'll stop making fun of you.
It really isn't your fault. And I'm a total ass for being mean to you.
Take care.
Sweetness, I don't think you are mean. You are just making do the best you can with the abilities you have. I can't take you serious enough to be offended by your "making fun of me".

Seriously.

<hug>

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#127739 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s no evidence that disproves the Exodus story, none.
There's
There is a very large absence of any evidence at all that would prove the "Exodus", also.

To this day, the bones of the Minotaur have not been found, nevertheless, we can't prove the Minotaur did not exist.

To this day, vampires have not been disproved.

To this day, fire breathing dragons have not been disproved.

Allah has not been disproved.

Vishnu has not been disproved.

The Pope Lick Monster has not been disproved.

In each of the above, there is a massive absence of evidence that does not prove they represent reality.

We haven't disproved them, however, because you need something that can be first proved or at least examined and evaluated, before you can attempt to disprove it.

A story in a book, or a belief, is not proof in and of itself in any way, unless there is non biased and compelling evidence to support that story or belief.

Your biblical based religious deity belief happens to be in the same category as all of the examples I pointed out above.

It is not me that makes it that way.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#127740 Oct 5, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I moved from Houston to Illinois. If you go over the 800 miles between here and there you will find no evidence of my move.
Why?
Because I took everything with me.
Just come out and say what we all know. You have no proof to counter the Exodus story except innuendos and hunches.
If there were 600,000 to 1 million of you that took 40 years to move your personal belongings, and did so with enough livestock, supplies, dishes and glasses etc., to maintain day to day life, on foot, and you camped every night, built fires to keep all 600,000 to 1 million of you warm and safe, and at times stayed for days and possibly weeks at one campsite.

You would.
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

#127741 Oct 5, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Your question is meaningless. For you to posit that because people believed in something 2000 years ago, or 4000 years ago, or 30 minutes ago, and still believe it, does not mean that a belief is true.
Let me illustrate something to you, again.
Why did people at one time believe in the Minotaur?
Why did people at one time believe in Heracles?
Why did people at one time believe in Attis?
Why did people at one time believe in Ra?
Why do people still believe in Ahura Mazda?
Why do people still believe in Allah?
Why do people still believe in Buddha?
Why do people still believe in Vishnu?
Why do people still believe in Satan?
Why do people still believe there are Vampires?
Why do people still believe there are Ghosts?
Why do people still believe there are Faerie Folk?
Why do people knock on wood?
Why do people say "bless you" after a sneeze?
Why do people put out cookies and milk for Santa?
Why do people put a horse shoe over the door?
Because sometimes, people will believe in anything and many things with very little reason to do so.
That belief is often taught, or is a tradition, or culturally instilled, and will have no real non biased supporting evidence that would suggest the belief represents reality.
People often and simply have a desire for whatever belief it happens to be that they embrace, to be, and they will use a faith to support that belief, in the absence of any evidence at all, in order to keep and maintain the belief.
Understand?
That is how history works. Free of agendas. Unlike yours. I can provide more if you like. The fact you cannot answer the question does not make it meaningless. You assume it is all made up but like others have demonstrated. You cannot prove it did not happen. More later. You need to free your mind of your fixed assumptions and you continued revisionist history. You call all the ancients liars.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127742 Oct 5, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text erased>
Since time is relative, is it possible to conceive of more than one dimension of it? Why do most physics models only use one dimension of it?

Since time and space are relative to each observer, is it possible to construct individual universes as models? I mean...doesn't each person therefore live in their own universe, since time and space are relative?

If you use some version of string theory that makes all the forces basically expressions of gravity - can you graphically represent that? What is the math derived from?

Would a GUT string theory predict, say, the Planck length?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127743 Oct 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is how history works. Free of agendas. Unlike yours. I can provide more if you like. The fact you cannot answer the question does not make it meaningless. You assume it is all made up but like others have demonstrated. You cannot prove it did not happen. More later. You need to free your mind of your fixed assumptions and you continued revisionist history. You call all the ancients liars.
No, history has never been free of agenda - ever. People throughout history have been politically motivated. Sometimes they rewrite history so that we don't actually know what went on in the absence of corroborating evidence. Fortunately, the methodologies of archaeology and history can work out likely scenarios for what went on in the past.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#127744 Oct 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is how history works. Free of agendas. Unlike yours. I can provide more if you like. The fact you cannot answer the question does not make it meaningless. You assume it is all made up but like others have demonstrated. You cannot prove it did not happen. More later. You need to free your mind of your fixed assumptions and you continued revisionist history. You call all the ancients liars.
LULZ...
You only believe "your ancients". All others, in your opinion, are fakes.

Do you believe Vishnu exists?

Why?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127745 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
You use those words informed and educated so much as a basis of intelligence.
You don't understand those words. They both denote being programmed.
Who is programming you, little girl? Do you expect this programming to bear fruit?
You do understand that it would be easier to dump all of that info and logic rules into a computer and get better faster and results than into a confused human head?
No, you don't.
If you had true intelligence, you would examine your programming for errors.
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#127746 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally full of shit
Excellent defense of your position, Dave.

One of your best, most cogent arguments.

Keep it up.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127747 Oct 5, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetness, I don't think you are mean. You are just making do the best you can with the abilities you have. I can't take you serious enough to be offended by your "making fun of me".
Seriously.
<hug>
You're an ass and you're insane. In plain terms, I feel guilt, for it is no contest whatsoever matching my wit against yours. You know nothing. You make everything up and fantasize that your delusions have some basis in reality - all the while laughing maniacally at disciplines of knowledge production that use rigorous techniques to produce their knowledge.

You have great and unending sour grapes at your position as an educator - which is nil. Zero. No one should listen to any of your fantasies when you rant about science; only the grossly uninformed and naive would find what your write compelling.

I feel bad for you. I'm sure it's not your fault. You wrote that you have some kind of brain damage that happened with the NDE. That might not be the whole story, but whatever, it doesn't matter. It's not fair for me to bother you with reality. You're welcome to your fantasies.

Further, there's nothing in it for me, except to feel better about myself by comparison to you. I can't learn from you, except what it means to be a spiteful, small theist who despises others for their growth and intellectual freedom. You have nothing else to teach, nothing worth listening to. Oh, I suppose you could teach something about your previous job as an electrician. Sure, there is that.

And if you weren't such an ass, I would have just left it, but you always need to feel superior by throwing the last spite. So here, these are my reasons for not bothering with you anymore. You have nothing but delusions of knowledge and disdain for those of real learning. You are quite boring for it.

Good bye.

Westcliffe, CO

#127748 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, with your "little girl" term, and statements that Hiding lacks intelligence and is unable to understand, you have reached a new level--disgusting; beneath contempt.
So what?

I forgot while discussing your religion last night to bring up the point of it constantly revising things. Per your words.

Revisionism seems to be a major constituent of it.

Figures.

Westcliffe, CO

#127749 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent defense of your position, Dave.
One of your best, most cogent arguments.
Keep it up.
I see my attempt to communicate on your level is bearing fruit. Thank you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127750 Oct 5, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.

I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.

These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.

Westcliffe, CO

#127752 Oct 5, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to white-sheet him, Catcher. His last post to Polymath put it accross that Dave is genuinely insane. It's in all of the ways he treats knowledge, as if he could somehow just imagine how reality is, no matter what.
I honestly feel guilty about engaging with him. It's not fair to him, it just exposes his incomprehension and ignorance. Then he gets all upset and attacks - makes sense, honestly. What else is Dave going to do? He's not a wise man. He's not an educated man. He's certainly not an actualized man.
These are the only tools he has: attack, insult, spite, scoff. The weapons of the weak. You can't really blame him just as you wouldn't blame a cornered animal.
You are adorable.

So innocent in your thinking.

Go back and rejoin the tea party with your friends, little one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min One way or another 16,831
The Consequences of Atheism 18 min polymath257 804
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 33 min ChristineM 6,052
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 48 min ChristineM 4,869
Turkey blocks website of its first atheist asso... 1 hr Thinking 1
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 4 hr ChristineM 3,047
Is Religion Childish? Tue ChristineM 143
More from around the web