Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127575 Oct 4, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Funniest thing I've ever read.
Thank you, sir.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127576 Oct 4, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
You addressed Dave's post completely differently than I did. You discussed what constitutes education, and why what he condemns is necessary and desirable. I looked at his tendency to eschew education for private speculation. You're trying to teach him - I warned him that you'd try to teach him something he could use - and I'm trying to learn from him. Those are the things we naturally do as humanists, because we value those activities.
BTW, even if you do nothing for Dave, your posts are being read and studied by those who do value what you see through refined eyes from the shoulders of giants. People come back to these threads repeatedly in part to read posts like that, whether Dave does or not.
Thank you - I wasn't analyzing our different approaches that way. Good insight. I'm often in awe of yours, since it requires understanding the poster more, I think. I'm just addressing his ignorance, but you're actually dissecting his meaning.

To your second point: yeah. Dave has shown again and again that he is incapable of learning b/c of his arrogance and insecurities. He was asking lots of questions about biology there for a while, but then linked it back to an all powerful deity with magical pixie dust, as he put it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127577 Oct 4, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is called DNA. Two templates were used to be exact.
You have a point ?
hahahaha!

:)

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127578 Oct 4, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> That has nothing to do with there being no evidence supporting the biblical "Exodus". That point is agreed upon by Judaic and Christian scholars alike.
It is the minority report. The same class which stated David Dynasty did not exist and then when the archelogical evidence came along they still denied. They got Scripture down as guilty until proven innocent. You say Jesus probably existed and had some followers which is reductioninst and not in line with majority scholarship. Moses is mentioned 100s of time in the Old. Mentioned by Josephus. You say all them who were 1000s of years closer to the event were wrong in part because there is no evidence in what is now mostly a desert. The Bible is the evidence. It is agenda driven revisioninst history.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#127579 Oct 4, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha!
Sorry, sorry, not that old :p
LOL! Don't apologize for not being "that old".

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127580 Oct 4, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Test?
Who is my teacher, IANS?
I have my own path to follow in this existence. You go find others to fall under your influence. You will get no cheap ego trips from me, buddy boy.
:-)
Each of us is our own teacher, Dave. We determine how we learn.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127581 Oct 4, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
They say it can go 13 billion light years, also. Which means, BTW, that you are being bombarded by energy from the past. Put that in your calculations and smoke it.
Besides to adjacent molecules. Like in your "light switch" and match.
Yes, yes, yes.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127582 Oct 4, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt you are a expert on Egyptian history. I would guess you believe the pyramids were built by Egyptians and not slaves. Isnít this what the Egyptians claim?
At one time Egypt was the super power in the entire world. With advances in engineering and slave labor to build their empire. Then something happened that turned them from a super power to a struggling nation. They never recovered from the Exodus and the great loss they suffered from the plagues.
Mexico, our southern neighbor, was also a great nation at one time. They had one of the greatest armies in the entire world. They were defeated by a band of rebels and their President captured near what is now the city of Houston. They also never recovered from that loss.
The Bible is mostly wrong about Egypt. Egypt's records don't corroborate it.

For one thing, the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by paid workers. Records of their rate of pay have been discovered.

This is entirely what we should predict since the OT Bible is a mythology book aimed at unifying the Jewish people.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127583 Oct 4, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
God/Universe created itself from an absolute quantum vacuum.
No contradiction and no impossibilities. I have trouble with the anthropomorphic "sky daddy" crap though.
You believe that swill you got more problems than that. Universe create self is a logical absurdity. Don't beleieve in miracles but do believe universe created self. Only on Topix. Did you create yourself?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127584 Oct 4, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. It never controlled the Americas. It never controlled China. it never conquered the Babylonians. It was certainly a very strong *regional* power, but certainly NOT a world superpower.
<quoted text>
Actually, this happened several different times. That is generally what distinguishes one Kingdom from the Intermediate periods and the following Kingdoms.
For example, during the second intermediate period, Egypt was controlled by the Hyksos. Afterwards came the Third kingdom when Amenhotep, Ramses II, Tutankhamen, and many other famous pharaohs lived. During much of this period, the Egyptians controlled much of what is now Israel and Lebanon. Funny that the Bible never mentions this, huh?
<quoted text>
Of course, the invasion of the Sea Peoples doesn't enter into your version at all, does it? Considering that they were almost certainly associated with the Philistines, you have some historical problems on your hands if you want to interpret the Bible as being fact. Also, this same invasion was felt at Troy and is associated with the Dorian invasion of the Greeks.
There is no historical or archaeological evidence of either the plagues or the Exodus. There is plenty of evidence from all over the East Mediterranean of the invasions of the Sea Peoples. They *did* trigger a decline in the power of Egypt, but even the third Kingdom lasted well into the first millennium BC. Again, that doesn't quite agree with your Biblical stories.
Oh! Ninja'd!

Well said :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127585 Oct 4, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it happened before the days of the local broadcast news and the New York Times. Something caused Egypt to fall from a Super Power status and that something was the Exodus.
Egypt was a society heavily dependant on slave labor. Slavery was the engine for their economy. No one can tell me that the great pyramids were built by paid Egyptian skilled labor. It was done on the backs of slaves.
You can deny that fact but it took a hell of a lot of labor. Thereís no way Egypt could have afforded to pay salaries to skilled workers. It was done by slaves, and those slaves left Egypt.
Here's a newspiece for you:

http://news.discovery.com/history/pyramids-to...

"SLAVES DIDN'T BUILD PYRAMIDS: EGYPT
The tombs of ancient Egyptian pyramid builders suggest these artisans were respected -- and paid -- for their work."

"Egypt displayed on Monday newly discovered tombs more than 4,000 years old and said they belonged to people who worked on the Great Pyramids of Giza, putting the discovery forth as more evidence that slaves did not build the ancient monuments.

The series of modest nine-foot-deep shafts held a dozen skeletons of pyramid builders, perfectly preserved by dry desert sand along with jars that once contained beer and bread meant for the workers' afterlife."

and

"Hawass told reporters at the site that the find, first announced on Sunday, sheds more light on the lifestyle and origins of the pyramid builders. Most importantly, he said the workers were not recruited from slaves commonly found across Egypt during pharaonic times.

Hawass said the builders came from poor Egyptian families from the north and the south, and were respected for their work -- so much so that those who died during construction were bestowed the honor of being buried in the tombs near the sacred pyramids of their pharaohs."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127586 Oct 4, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the general consensus is that the builders had quite a decent job, for the time. And almost definitely were not jewish slaves.
What,'cause Jewish slaves don't do a good job? What kind of racist are you?!?

I'll have you know that I have had two Jewish slaves in my life and they performed quite well!!!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127587 Oct 4, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand what gravity is or how it is distributed.
You can think of the total gravitation force of the universe as circuits of relative resistance, the conductance being determined by the amount of mass and proximity of those masses to each other, or you can think of all of the masses adding up the other way to come up with the total force for the universe.
If you go strolling past Betelgeuse, you will have greater gravity force exerted on you than strolling past our sun for the same distance away. Therefore the strengths are relative. You will also have different values of those strengths pulling on you from different directions.
That was my third or fourth attempt to put it real plain, but which would not work anyhow because you view gravity as a thing, and not part of a process. However, it did help kick something into gear in my head. So you aren't totally useless.
I'm all ears, Dave! Please show us your mathematical model of gravity!

Unbelievable, I didn't know you, of all people, had actually solved the problem. I'll have to change all my views about you - shock!

So, let's see it! How'd you work it out???

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127588 Oct 4, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> It is the minority report. The same class which stated David Dynasty did not exist and then when the archelogical evidence came along they still denied. They got Scripture down as guilty until proven innocent. You say Jesus probably existed and had some followers which is reductioninst and not in line with majority scholarship. Moses is mentioned 100s of time in the Old. Mentioned by Josephus. You say all them who were 1000s of years closer to the event were wrong in part because there is no evidence in what is now mostly a desert. The Bible is the evidence. It is agenda driven revisioninst history.
The bible is evidence of itself, it proves nothing, unless you are pointing to it and saying: "This is the bible".

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127589 Oct 4, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is mostly wrong about Egypt. Egypt's records don't corroborate it.
For one thing, the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by paid workers. Records of their rate of pay have been discovered.
This is entirely what we should predict since the OT Bible is a mythology book aimed at unifying the Jewish people.
I seem to remember academia supporting the slaves built the pyramids theory.

Israel was once part of Egypt.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#127591 Oct 4, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is certain, even with the laws there are the lawless amongst us. Because some people donít see it as being wrong. Itís only wrong it they get caught.
So what exactly would determine which rules in the Bible should get followed and which shouldn't? I would imagine more arguing within the Christian community as to that.
The Bible may contain a couple of morals we consider absolute, but it is also chockful of other nonsense laws that we shouldn't erect upon anyone.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127592 Oct 4, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all ears, Dave! Please show us your mathematical model of gravity!
Unbelievable, I didn't know you, of all people, had actually solved the problem. I'll have to change all my views about you - shock!
So, let's see it! How'd you work it out???
Come sit at my feet for a while. I will explain it all to you.

You seem more elevated than usual. Skipping your meds again?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127593 Oct 4, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The models keep failing. They don't last very long. They keep getting patched to maintain some semblance of continuity. Apologetics,
Quit poking holes in religion.
But you are quite free to have faith in your system. I'm just telling you it has some serious problems. Just like you do with religion.
Technology is not science theory. Simple observation and tweaking. The evolution of it has resulted in what we have today, not the theoretical science you will be claiming is responsible.
Not true. Give a better alternative or cut it out.

Long Beach, CA

#127594 Oct 4, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You believe that swill you got more problems than that. Universe create self is a logical absurdity. Don't beleieve in miracles but do believe universe created self. Only on Topix. Did you create yourself?
A question for you: Do you believe prayers are answered?

Long Beach, CA

#127595 Oct 4, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to remember academia supporting the slaves built the pyramids theory.
Yes. But archaeologists, like other scientists, are constantly examining the evidence.

And if they find convincing evidence that demonstrates an existing theory is incorrect, they revise it accordingly.

Unlike static religious beliefs, science is always open to new discoveries.

Your age and unwillingness to keep up are showing.

You said recently that you don't read books because you're too busy living your own life.

Look at what you are missing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Perils of Belief 1 hr P_Smith 1
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 1 hr P_Smith 1
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Morse 23,268
Evidence for God! 3 hr Morse 373
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 12 hr Morse 5,951
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 12 hr RayOne 2,621
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 13 hr SnuffAGlobalisst 23
More from around the web