Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
123,081 - 123,100 of 226,145 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Signed, Xavier, Renegade Angel. "Yohoo killed me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9q6reEqJDjgXX&feature=rel ated
<quoted text>
It looks like you've outsmarted me again. You are wise beyond your years, Grasshopper. I will have to get my cheap ego trips elsewhere - for now.
Little big man going to grow up and be bigger than that which created him.

That is your basic motivation, IANS. Man's wanting to set himself free and do what we will. However, as an individual unit of the collective "man", you have to transfer your desires to the collective. You see yourself as a one of the brain cells, and not of the brawn, of this new liberated being. A messiah complex with a low profile.

There is a creative force. If it is a deity you find it easier to delude yourself it isn't there in your headstrong pursuit of following your own desires. This gives you the illusion of free reign. If these other dummies just listened to you, that is.

Deity or not, this creative force let's you live and grow. You will always play its tune. Otherwise say eternal good night.

In your heart you know I am right.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
If I was Thurston I would have used my suitcases of money to have a Ginger and Mary Ann sandwich nightly.
<quoted text>
Followed by a side of Gilligan?
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 200+ Bible translations in 40 languages, 40+ original language texts and morphology databases, dozens of lexical-grammatical references, and many commentaries accompanying those versions. http://www.bibleworks.com/
ands your still biblically illiterate.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that the EM force is more powerful than gravity on the small scale. Why you keep suggesting these experiments is beyond me.
When directed it is stronger on the vast distance scale.

It is THE mover and shaper of mass and form.

Quit thinking local overcomes the distant. The local exists because of the distant.

A low powered EM wave can trigger much larger forces in mass at a distance if the distant mass is tuned to redirect those much larger forces. Done all of the time here. Why the model airplane reference I make.
Realist

Waregem, Belgium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

AtheÔst people don't believe in god.
God is part off a religion. Relgious people believe in relgion AtheÔst don't believe in relgion it's that easy. 90% off people in this world are relgious so their should be universal peace right if they all believe in god??? No, when they say they believe in god they don't mean they believe in god they mean they believe in the god off their relgion and don't see the god off the other religion as the same god off their relgion so god is not universal but part of the doctrine so if their is an univeral god.
Their is no prove this universal god will say he has anything to do with all the kinds of relgious gods that have existed on this earth.

Anwer: Religous people have Faith in faith no faith in god. And AtheÔst don't have Faith in anything !!!
Their are also TheÔst that have no faith in faith but faith in god seeing god as somehing universal that has nothing to do with relgion.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> ands your still biblically illiterate.
Still butt hurt, eh?

The above should read:
lightbeamrider wrote:
And you're still biblically illiterate.
Thanks for playing.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
When directed it is stronger on the vast distance scale.
It is THE mover and shaper of mass and form.
Quit thinking local overcomes the distant. The local exists because of the distant.
A low powered EM wave can trigger much larger forces in mass at a distance if the distant mass is tuned to redirect those much larger forces. Done all of the time here. Why the model airplane reference I make.
I don't think that a few garage experiments prove that the EM force is more significant than gravity on the large scale.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/04/rocket-f...

A self taught engineer.

Using 6 thrusters angled to a common center of them will give the maximum thrust, but will have to be tweaked for the distance to limit drag after the convergence. The convergence provides more resistance to the thrust than just air. Energy beam working against energy beams. Creates a knot to push against.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as convincing a debunking as you would like to think. If you are a member of the choir, of course you would go along with it.
I don't agree with all that electric universe, but somewhere in between.
Much was made in that article about convection, etc, and things following the maisntream scriptures, but there is one very large gorilla I never hear mentioned, or explained how it effects the entire process.
It's called action/reaction. For every nuclear blast occurring on the sun, it sends pressure waves in all directions. Including toward the core. These waves have to be transferred.
I thought it was pretty convincing, but in the interest of being open minded, I would be more than happy to read an explanation from you explaining why your models are better than the current models.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Good find. Interesting stuff, I actually had no idea there was an "electric universe theory." Thought it was all daveworld stuff.
Electric universe will be fought tooth and nail. Too highly suggestive of an intelligent design and control of the universe.

Can't have that.

Gravity based physics is an observation of a created glob which portions of then try to turn into a self organizing mess with a semblance of intelligence that fancies itself the evolutionary pinnacle, and desires to perpetuate its illusions via "education".

The little big man syndrome.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

anomonyous wrote:
<quoted text>And bloodshed and barbarity and bovine scat, if you ask me.
If god had intended the Bible to be our one true book, I doubt he would have made it so difficult to read.
In fact even Christians like you argue over its meaning all the time. Thus it seems as if no one believer can form a consensus about what this scripture means, and at the same time be representing the Christian populace. Some diversity is good, yes, as it leads people to question dogma. A bunch of fanatics debating about the precise meaning of some millennium old book whose content and character they insist is perfect is flawed, especially when you take in account that for them it is the ultimate law. What good are rules if you don't even know what they mean? Or perhaps, a crapload of people just insist that you don't know the definition.
Seems a bit like a self destructing argument to me, if this perfect god made these rules that perhaps few or nobody actually knows the true meaning of and expects to get people into heaven. Unless you'd like to say that you only need to ask for forgiveness, in which case all rules are completely meaningless and thus they don't even have any reason to exist.
Thank you for your reply.

The Constitution here in the United States has been argued about since conception. A entire panel of judges called the Supreme Court was created to interpret itís laws.

So the Bible is no different. People try to read into it what is not there or twist itís scripture for their purpose. I do stand behind my statement it is a fascinating set of books to read. Not to mention itís laws such as the 10 commandments are still relevant today.

Example,ďThou shalt not steal.Ē Any small business owner will support that law. Losses from theft run into the billions of dollars and we consumers have to foot the bill in higher insurance premiums and higher cost for goods.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Electric universe will be fought tooth and nail. Too highly suggestive of an intelligent design and control of the universe.
Can't have that.
Gravity based physics is an observation of a created glob which portions of then try to turn into a self organizing mess with a semblance of intelligence that fancies itself the evolutionary pinnacle, and desires to perpetuate its illusions via "education".
The little big man syndrome.
You assume that because most other people don't believe the same things you do, that they actively oppose them. People don't write it off because it hints too strongly at god, they write it off because it's stupid.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Your deity didn't do a very good job. There is no evidence of that happening. In either Egyptian records, or in any neighboring countries/cultures recorded history. Egypt lasted well into the 3rd century BCE. It was still a country under Roman rule in 30BCE, if I'm not mistaken.
I seriously doubt you are a expert on Egyptian history. I would guess you believe the pyramids were built by Egyptians and not slaves. Isnít this what the Egyptians claim?

At one time Egypt was the super power in the entire world. With advances in engineering and slave labor to build their empire. Then something happened that turned them from a super power to a struggling nation. They never recovered from the Exodus and the great loss they suffered from the plagues.

Mexico, our southern neighbor, was also a great nation at one time. They had one of the greatest armies in the entire world. They were defeated by a band of rebels and their President captured near what is now the city of Houston. They also never recovered from that loss.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
^^^^^
Translation:
"I am totally clueless so I'll just respond with a random Biblical verse."
ROFLMAO
The next phase of his posting will incomprehensible babble and claims to know what God says and that I/we are all going to Hell..
You are Jewish my friend and thereís nothing wrong with that.
lightbeamrider

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Still butt hurt, eh?
The above should read:
<quoted text>
Thanks for playing.
Still quoting from the minority report?

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Word salad anyone?
The vast majority of the universal expansion is adiabatic: the entropy doesn't change. Only during phase transitions does the entropy change much.
If you experienced a phase transition I doubt you would notice any change in entropy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You assume that because most other people don't believe the same things you do, that they actively oppose them. People don't write it off because it hints too strongly at god, they write it off because it's stupid.
Why would you say it is stupid?

Stupid is sitting in one little spot in the universe and pontificating it follows all of the laws determined on that little spot, and everything must then work the way they think it should.

May I point out they are constantly finding things don't?

Modern cosmology is totally built upon gazing at points of light in the sky, and using sensors built upon the "theory" of electricity developed right here in this relativistic spot in the universe. But the significance of that relating to the actual "truth" will escape you. You just gotta believe it is true. Your god need, as IANS likes to put it.

Modern physics is earth based technology that a few heaven gazing guys try to apply to the universe. No different than star gazers of yesteryear.

Let me point out that man has used many, many technologies that he didn't really understand fully at the time. That is still happening today.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Bible Jehova laws not JW wrote:
<quoted text>
you only waist your time you fool,
you are not going to change facts of Creation,or what is beyond of your suroundings, and your little worthless brain
fight with Supreme power of God,is like waging insect war against house owner,
you are poor and very sorroful little grasshooper creature
You only waste your time, you fool.
You are not going to change facts of Creation, or what is beyond of your suroundings, and your little worthless brain.
Fighting with the supreme noodliness of the flying spaghetti monster is like waging meatball war against a 5 star Italian restaurant.
You are a poor and very sorrowful little block of salt.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You assume that because most other people don't believe the same things you do, that they actively oppose them. People don't write it off because it hints too strongly at god, they write it off because it's stupid.
Forgot to mention that you can throw all sorts of different materials together and run a huge charge through them, and a path will be created if not existing. Part of the transforming of mass and energy. You are a particle within a much larger flow of charge. If you lived as a molecule of copper in a live circuit you may observe the universe as we do here.

Lots of action going one. Don't pretend to know just what it is.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply.
The Constitution here in the United States has been argued about since conception. A entire panel of judges called the Supreme Court was created to interpret itís laws.[/quote]Except people don't claim that the Constitution speaks in riddles, and it wasn't created by an all-knowing all-powerful omnipotent being who would have foreseen any problems in interpretation.

[quote]Example,ďThou shalt not steal.Ē Any small business owner will support that law. Losses from theft run into the billions of dollars and we consumers have to foot the bill in higher insurance premiums and higher cost for goods.
I take it that without the Commandment you, I, and others would be stealing billions of dollars worth of merchandise every day. Ja?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
100% Faith Free 34 min religionislies 7
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 36 min religionislies 6
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 37 min religionislies 21,490
Our world came from nothing? 3 hr NightSerf 395
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 8 hr NightSerf 6
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 11 hr Patrick 24
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr ChristineM 898
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••