Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 6,150)

Showing posts 122,981 - 123,000 of223,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

You are going to Muslim and Hindu hell
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.viewzone.com/Fear-O f-Death.html

Gary Vey gets on the sensational side, and misses some things, but comes up with interesting things to think about.

LISTEN UP YOU ATHEISTS!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL!!!!

YOU ARE GOING TO BURN FOREVER!!!

IN ETERNAL AGONY YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!!!!

YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

As I thought. Sometimes the bible is the literal word of God and sometimes it's just being figurative. It's literal when the Christhole wants it to be.

I am shocked you even asked for this. Regardless I as usual destroyed you. You doubted the bible spoke of seven headed serpents and I have shown it does. So I guess that dragon had seven hobbit heads is what you are suggesting?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!!
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for supplying references.

Now do you really believe the scripture is referring to a real dragon with seven heads? Much of the book of Revelation and Daniel is written in symbolism.

LetÂ’s look closer at Rev 12:4

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

The interpretation of what the dragon really is can be found further in the reading of Chapter 12.

7. And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8. And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

The dragon as it turns out is symbolism for Satan.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Indeed. That must be uh you know like all figurative and stuff. Lol!
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>You've got this in the bible, too.

Psalm 74:14 "Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness".

LEVIATHAN has more than one head in Psalms(just one in other places).

In Ugaritic texts(where much of the OT mythology originated), LEVIATHAN has 7 heads.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
Tool for what?
Tool for discovering information about the Universe.
Dave Nelson wrote:
There were several listed that arrived at it for philosophical reasons.
Arrived at *what*?
Dave Nelson wrote:
If science can't prove, which you admit, why do you claim it proves there are no deities?
In which posting did I ever claim that science proves that there are no deities? Identify that posting. Or admit your error.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Atheism believes in the absence of deities.
No, it doesn't. Atheism is the *lack* of belief in a deity.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
Indeed. That must be uh you know like all figurative and stuff. Lol!
<quoted text>
The bible is cRaZy!

In one portion, the "figurative" 7 headed beast is fed to people(by the deity), later, it be da debbil!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Genesis does support chemical means of creating life, including man. Those seeds planted to become animals, and Adam made out of the dust of the earth.
They just seem to have needed a little jumpstart.
Seeds are collections of chemicals. Did you know that? Some are real dry.
If you read it "figuratively," which all christians now have to because of how ridiculous it seems in light of our scientific knowledge.

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Our ways, reason, are not his ways.
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is cRaZy!
In one portion, the "figurative" 7 headed beast is fed to people(by the deity), later, it be da debbil!
Atheist Silurist

Gloucester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.viewzone.com/Fear-O f-Death.html
Gary Vey gets on the sensational side, and misses some things, but comes up with interesting things to think about.
LISTEN UP YOU ATHEISTS!!!!!!!
YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL!!!!
YOU ARE GOING TO BURN FOREVER!!!
IN ETERNAL AGONY YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!!!!
YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!
If that thought turns you on,go with it. But it is one hell of a perversion to go through life with.
There must be a medical term to describe such a bent mentality. Something like,Sadomasochism by Proxy syndrome.
Atheist Silurist

Gloucester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is cRaZy!
The bible may be Crazy, but it's not as crazy as the people who spend their entire lives trying to make sense of it.

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
And that would surprise you how???
hahaha

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for supplying references.
Now do you really believe the scripture is referring to a real dragon with seven heads? Much of the book of Revelation and Daniel is written in symbolism.
Totally. It's all symbolism.

:)

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If it ain't "solid",
Certainly not.
something you can "see",
Hmmm..in a sense ALL you can ever see is photons.
what you are describing are effects interpreted.
So? The same is true when you look at a chair: you are describing the presumed existence of the chair based on the photons presumably reflected off it and into your eyes. All effects and interpretation.
An etheral something or other that behaves in a certain way when energy transfers are made to larger and more visible objects. You are inferring what they look like by math calculations. A pure head thing.
The problem is the phrase 'look like'. Since looking is based on photons, there is a bad circle in your demand to paint a picture of a photon. Furthermore, they are not classical objects; they are quantum objects with probability distributions and not definite values for physical variables.
Ethereal, unseen, something you can't really touch, only its effects, which follow laws. But you believe in it.
Welcome to the real world.
Polly, meet God.
God, meet Polly.
Don't bother shaking hands.
Polly, don't get into any arguments with Him. OK?
Funny, but the quantum description can be tested; it predicts results that can be observed; the probabilities predicted are verified. God, on the other hand, is not testable. So yes, I prefer the quantum description which can be and has been tested to the deity hypothesis that cannot be tested at all.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://scitechdaily.com/scient ists-use-ultra-short-pulses-of -terahertz-laser-light-to-mani pulate-magnetism/
http://scitechdaily.com/ultrashort-pulses-of-...
Can gravity do this over a distance?
Ignorable perturbations, surely.
You are bombarded by light continually. EM is the primary glue and motivator of the universe.
Remote controlled airplanes.
On a galactic scale or above, the electromagnetic properties, while present, do not have nearly the effects that gravity has. At this point, the energy density due to electromagnetic radiation is about 1 part in 20,000 of the energy due to matter (and gravity).

Yes, E&M is a strong force in many ways; much stronger than gravity. But the sheer fact that there are both positive and negative charges and north and south poles to magnets prevents it from being dominant in the universe. The positive and negative charges have effects that tend to cancel out; same with poles of a magnet.

Can you make situations where they are dominant? Of course. Are the astrophysical situations where they are dominant? Yes. But are they dominant in the motions of our galaxy? No. Are they dominant in the universal expansion? No. Are they dominant in relativistic jets emitted from black holes? yes.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not forced at all.
Quantums don't exist. Something does, but they aren't quantums.
Actual observations say otherwise. Although I have to say your usage makes me wonder if you understand the term.
The secret is in "space". It's real energy is not accounted for because of the models they use. That is why they are coming up with dark energy and matter. Uncertainties and probabilities, ad nauseum, also.
Uh huh. I suppose you have a more accurate model? With detailed predictions? That work to 10 decimal places of accuracy? Didn't think so.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally. It's all symbolism.
:)
Item 9 exists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Go ahead.”

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actual observations say otherwise. Although I have to say your usage makes me wonder if you understand the term.
<quoted text>
Uh huh. I suppose you have a more accurate model? With detailed predictions? That work to 10 decimal places of accuracy? Didn't think so.
No, Dave hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. He's just making up fantasies of physics.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Item 9 exists!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
What was the question again, sir?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Dave hasn't got a clue what he's talking about. He's just making up fantasies of physics.
Here's a look at what I see in Dave's methodology .
Disregard science , vilify atheists , exonerate gravity and elevate magnetism.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Givemeliberty wrote:
As I thought. Sometimes the bible is the literal word of God and sometimes it's just being figurative. It's literal when the Christhole wants it to be.
I am shocked you even asked for this. Regardless I as usual destroyed you. You doubted the bible spoke of seven headed serpents and I have shown it does. So I guess that dragon had seven hobbit heads is what you are suggesting?
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!!
<quoted text>
A well know Rabbi, in a Judaism 101 for converts, said "The entire Torah is a Parable". A Parable is a work of fiction used to convey a deep message of reality.

Jews (including Jesus) and Christians have a compleely different belief in the Bible as "The word of God". To the Jews, God talks figuratively to the Christins God speaks literaly.

Because of the literalism paradigm, Christianity depends heavily on apologetics, dogma and refusal to read what is clearly written.
They also would rather accept the beliefs of others (Church 'leaders') than even attempt to think for themselves. In fact, the 'Church' makes thinking for oneself the worst "sin" in order to keep their sheep from running away from the cliff they are lead to.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Quantum Mechanics in a nutshell:

In a universe of infinite possibilities, all things are possible. One of those possibilities is that all things are NOT possible.

<smile>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 122,981 - 123,000 of223,928
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••