Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#127385 Oct 3, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The quantum world is a bunch of fractal probabilities , on a revolving scale of
if's. Something we are forced to accept like it or not.
Not forced at all.

Quantums don't exist. Something does, but they aren't quantums.

The secret is in "space". It's real energy is not accounted for because of the models they use. That is why they are coming up with dark energy and matter. Uncertainties and probabilities, ad nauseum, also.

Location hidden

#127386 Oct 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>There is not a certain logic to it, it is wishful thinking motivated by your god need. There is not one example, ever, of anything supernatural ever happening. So how is there a certain logic to postulating a supernatural explanation for the universe?
Just because we can't fully explain the universe at this point doesn't mean we never will be able to. A thousand years ago you might be pointing to the inexplicable nature of illness as proof of the supernatural.
Butifmaybepossible. The basic vocabulary of abiogentic atheists. You add duh to it.

There is lots of anecdotal supernatural events going way back in time. Just because they didn't happen in a lab doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#127387 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Butifmaybepossible. The basic vocabulary of abiogentic atheists. You add duh to it.
There is lots of anecdotal supernatural events going way back in time. Just because they didn't happen in a lab doesn't mean they didn't happen.
Sure, it may be possible, just like everything may be possible. The difference with "abiogentic atheists," whoever they are, is that there are no extraordinary assumptions being made. There wasn't life, there was life, therefore life started somehow. No need to invoke a higher power when there is no evidence for one.

And do you really think anecdotal evidence means anything? There's anecdotal evidence for leprechauns too.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127388 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
Name some of those events.

Location hidden

#127389 Oct 3, 2012
http://www.viewzone.com/Fear-Of-Death.html

Gary Vey gets on the sensational side, and misses some things, but comes up with interesting things to think about.

LISTEN UP YOU ATHEISTS!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HELL!!!!

YOU ARE GOING TO BURN FOREVER!!!

IN ETERNAL AGONY YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!!!!

YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#127390 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As we routinely create devices utilizing the same parts and laws of physics that we are made of, almost always by design, there is a certain logic to lead us to believe that such may very well be how we got here. I mean, we can make devices that will talk back to us. However, being an offshoot of such a process may not mean that its environment and laws of physics is the same as ours, but some aspects will be just to establish those laws we live under.
All in all, believing in a nature that spawned this one, which again, is probably built upon some order, and thus design, would indicate there is a higher intelligence with its finger on the power switch, and which for practical purposes, and as a working hypothesis, can be referred to as God.
Just kinda makes more sense than pontificating we just happened.
I think it is a little too early to concern ourselves about who made the outlet for the mixer. When we get to that point, we may luck out and get a manufacturer's name on it. Perhaps someone will be in the kitchen to answer our questions.
You people amaze me.
Who made god?

Location hidden

#127391 Oct 3, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Name some of those events.
The Big Bang as presented by atheists.

Abiogenesis.

The existence of so many Topix atheists. Such require much divine intervention to survive so long, what with partial brains.

Take your pick. There are tons of them out there.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#127392 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.viewzone.com/Fear-O f-Death.html
Gary Vey gets on the sensational side, and misses some things, but comes up with interesting things to think about.
YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!
Yeah?

So?

Location hidden

#127393 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!
Are you joking, or did someone just snap?

Location hidden

#127394 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis.
The existence of so many Topix atheists. Such require much divine intervention to survive so long, what with partial brains.
I think a giant magnet appeared in the sky and shot everything with EM waves.

Or something like that.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127395 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you just say the little bastards are moving too fast for you get a handle on?
That was pure bullshit. Hardly hard physics. Imagination running wild to explain the inconsistencies and inaccuracies of building a universe with math.
You have just shown your complete lack of understanding of Physics. In effect what you have said here is:-

"I haven't got a clue therefore it must be wrong."

this is is called the arrogance of ignorance.

You are now faced with possibilities:-

1. Throw your PC away as it depends Quantum Theory to operate

or

2. Grab a real textbook on Physics and start learning.

you will do neither.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#127396 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis.
You don't know what supernatural means.

Location hidden

#127397 Oct 3, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, it may be possible, just like everything may be possible. The difference with "abiogentic atheists," whoever they are, is that there are no extraordinary assumptions being made. There wasn't life, there was life, therefore life started somehow. No need to invoke a higher power when there is no evidence for one.
And do you really think anecdotal evidence means anything? There's anecdotal evidence for leprechauns too.
Well, Genesis does support chemical means of creating life, including man. Those seeds planted to become animals, and Adam made out of the dust of the earth.

They just seem to have needed a little jumpstart.

Seeds are collections of chemicals. Did you know that? Some are real dry.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#127398 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://scitechdaily.com/scient ists-use-ultra-short-pulses-of -terahertz-laser-light-to-mani pulate-magnetism/
http://scitechdaily.com/ultrashort-pulses-of-...
Can gravity do this over a distance?
Ignorable perturbations, surely.
You are bombarded by light continually. EM is the primary glue and motivator of the universe.
Remote controlled airplanes.
Tine to lay off sniffing fart bubbles, Dave.

You're getting methane narcosis.

Location hidden

#127399 Oct 3, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what supernatural means.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sup...

Thought it was something like that.

You know what? You can't really "observe" space. You can see things through it, but they have to be of the same material constructions as ourselves.

Do you realize how many sharp toothed creatures you can't see or touch might be standing right behind you, staring st your neck, slobbering all over the place? Just waiting until they can get their hands on you? In their realm. Once that energy creating you starts to fade.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127400 Oct 3, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nobody deserves what you want for me - eternal torment without hope of mercy. And just consider your reason for thinking so: you believe that that is what your god thinks, and you will gleefully assent to anything that you can be made to believe is your god's will, including that. You have lost your moral compass.
That makes you an undesirable neighbor and undesirable as a compatriot. You would sell me out for almost no reason at all, as you just did.
<quoted text>
Faith has everything to do with it. Your bible and other Christians taught you to think like this.
You're doing a great job here, BTW. People need to see what religion does. None of the skeptics is anything like you. I know who I can trust to do the right thing, and who I can expect to follow orders, however obscene.
Aren't you one of the Christians who bristles at calling Hitler Christian? You're a hell of a lot closer to Hitler than I am.
Personally it would hell to be stuck in heaven with all these godbots.

Location hidden

#127401 Oct 3, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
You have just shown your complete lack of understanding of Physics. In effect what you have said here is:-
"I haven't got a clue therefore it must be wrong."
this is is called the arrogance of ignorance.
You are now faced with possibilities:-
1. Throw your PC away as it depends Quantum Theory to operate
or
2. Grab a real textbook on Physics and start learning.
you will do neither.
Capitalized Physics and Quantum Theory?

woo hoo
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#127402 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!
You're born, the lights go on, you dance awhile, the lights go off, you die. Works for me...

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127403 Oct 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<Hiding sits up>
"Having troubles with the belt buckle?"
And that would surprise you how???
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#127404 Oct 3, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're born, the lights go on, you dance awhile, the lights go off, you die. Works for me...
a while, dammit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 775
"No Master! No God!" - Isms, Religion and Atheism (Aug '13) 5 hr God worships Sin ... 2
Siro is writing a new book 7 hr Siro 2
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr Friend of all 14,431
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr Morse 1,418
10) Experts debate reality of God (May '10) 18 hr Thetruth 8,933
Evidence for God! Wed Morse 181

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE