Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127250 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
I have learned that evolution is indeed real in microbiology. There’s no denying that fact.
The gene that allows some people, but not others, to retain the ability to digest milk into adulthood - is this microbiology for you? It evolved 12 000 years ago or so.
The great flood in Noah’s day did not overflow the mountain tops and it most likely was a local flood that perhaps covered a very large area. The depth of the flood is actually listed.
And was originally a Mesopotamian mythological story, based on their yearly experiences with floods. That, and the code of Hammurabi, was borrowed and put in the OT.
I have learned that science doesn’t know how all life started.
and that science is still investigating :p
The earth is very old, I knew this before coming to topix.
I have learned about living fossils.
I hope you learned that it's a term for morphology and not species. If you didn't, then I failed...
The complexity of certain plants like the Venus Fly Trap.
Yeah. Amazing. Take a closer look at insects. You'll be astounded.
I have opened my eyes to the possibility that the serpent in the Garden of Eden may have been a “Hobbit.” A humanoid type creature but not human before it was cursed.
Huh?
Despite every attempt to make the Bible look contradictory, there is always a logical answer to clarify it.
If you're a believer who's adopted the Christian belief system and understands it's within-system logic.
The learning continues and the ride has been worth the effort. I thank you and all the others for your efforts.
Likewise.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#127251 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Little Hiding gets a job offer from the the Max Planck Institute. She gets all excited. Her dreams are about to come through. She moves in annd gets settled, and is in her little heaven. She loves the place and the people. The place to realize her ambitions.
She goes to the city to do some sightseeing and shopping, revelling in her new life. She sits at an outdoor cafe, sipping on a glass of good wine.
A meteor strikes a big glass window in the modern building the little street cafe is on the ground floor of. She hears the crash. What was that? It came from above? Where she cant see because of the awning. Then a blur and a shock. Stunned, she opens her eyes and looks around. Kind of surreal. There is part of an arm over there, a piece of leg real close, And a huge shard of glass protruding from her stomach. Plus lots and loots of blood splattered around.
Then something occurs to her.
Just a possibility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BNyGNjf4EUsXX
Whatcha gonna do?
Morbid.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127252 Oct 2, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Damn good point. Why do believers fear death? After all they are going to heaven right? Life on earth is just the caterpillar stage right? Why do Christians cry when they they a terminal diagnosis from the doctor? They should be ecstatic.
<quoted text>
No kidding!

Christians, why are you sad to die? After all, you believe you'll be meeting your families, live forever, finally get to talk to your deity, finally get to be free of bodily desires and sin.

What's the problem with death?

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127253 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have learned that evolution is indeed real in microbiology. There’s no denying that fact.
The great flood in Noah’s day did not overflow the mountain tops and it most likely was a local flood that perhaps covered a very large area. The depth of the flood is actually listed.
I have learned that science doesn’t know how all life started.
The earth is very old, I knew this before coming to topix.
I have learned about living fossils.
The complexity of certain plants like the Venus Fly Trap.
I have opened my eyes to the possibility that the serpent in the Garden of Eden may have been a “Hobbit.” A humanoid type creature but not human before it was cursed.
Despite every attempt to make the Bible look contradictory, there is always a logical answer to clarify it.
The learning continues and the ride has been worth the effort. I thank you and all the others for your efforts.
BS You have been proven wrong about this before or is your Alzheimer's coming back?

Location hidden

#127254 Oct 2, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard he got nailed.
I was gonna say that but you know how much I hate upsetting christians.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127255 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t know if you ever seen the cartoon of Ralph E. Wolf and Ralph the Sheepdog.
Both Ralph and the Wolf start their day clocking in for work by punching in their time cards. Mr. Wolf’s job of course is to steal and consume the lamb chops. Often using various products from Acme to help him succeed.
Ralph (Sheep dog) job is to keep the sheep safe and so the war begins. At the end of the day, both Ralph and Wolf clock out and go home. Wolf is always beat up and exhausted at the end of the day.
It’s kind of like that here. The only question is are you the Wolf of the Sheep dog?, lol.
I honestly am not trying to steal anything from you.

Nothing would make me happier than for you to rejoice in your faith and understand that others don't have to be like you. And, if you'd pick up a textbook on paleontology, that would be great.

Location hidden

#127256 Oct 2, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's
Always tomorrow
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on"
.. la, la, la ..
I help them carrion.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#127257 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh. Oops. Maybe he was just talking about wrestling? I can't really ask him now.
There are some in this thread who would say yes, you CAN ask him.

And there are even some who say hey, Hi gave me the answer.

Location hidden

#127258 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You just never know. Hell, life can spring from dirt. Why not that?
or ribs.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#127259 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

What's the problem with death?
Well, no more Montparnasse, marrons glaces, mariachis, The Barber of Seville, sunsets, fast cars, beautiful women, dogs, cats, Cervantes, Dante, lavender fields in Provence, Peruvian seafood, a rich Chateau Latour bordeaux, oh man, life has so many things going for it!!

Too much to live, too little time?

Louisville, KY

#127260 Oct 2, 2012
Yes his (hobbit) nonsense just about took the cake! Later in the bible it talks about a 7 headed serpent dragon. So it meant a dragon with 7 (hobbit) heads?

Lmfao! What a visual!
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>The gene that allows some people, but not others, to retain the ability to digest milk into adulthood - is this microbiology for you? It evolved 12 000 years ago or so.

[QUOTE]The great flood in NoahÂ’s day did not overflow the mountain tops and it most likely was a local flood that perhaps covered a very large area. The depth of the flood is actually listed."

And was originally a Mesopotamian mythological story, based on their yearly experiences with floods. That, and the code of Hammurabi, was borrowed and put in the OT.

[QUOTE]I have learned that science doesnÂ’t know how all life started."

and that science is still investigating :p

[QUOTE]The earth is very old, I knew this before coming to topix.
I have learned about living fossils."

I hope you learned that it's a term for morphology and not species. If you didn't, then I failed...

[QUOTE]The complexity of certain plants like the Venus Fly Trap."

Yeah. Amazing. Take a closer look at insects. You'll be astounded.

[QUOTE]I have opened my eyes to the possibility that the serpent in the Garden of Eden may have been a “Hobbit.” A humanoid type creature but not human before it was cursed."

Huh?

[QUOTE]Despite every attempt to make the Bible look contradictory, there is always a logical answer to clarify it."

If you're a believer who's adopted the Christian belief system and understands it's within-system logic.

[QUOTE]The learning continues and the ride has been worth the effort. I thank you and all the others for your efforts.
"

Likewise.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#127261 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The only mind that can consider something doesn't have to have a cause for a beginning is one caught on a merry go round.
Sit down before you fall down.

I Don't do requests , especially from shop teachers that are missing parts of their fingers.

Louisville, KY

#127262 Oct 2, 2012
Zing! Oh the david as a shop teacher jokes practically write themselves!
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>I Don't do requests , especially from shop teachers that are missing parts of their fingers.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#127263 Oct 2, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. one more time. To date, science cannot explained NDEs or telepathy ..
.. Dave continues to share his subjective experience, something quite real for him ..
.. to claim his NDE a delusion is callous. You're better than that ..
.. smooch ..
It is already scientifically known that when you dream, and moreso when a person is about to die, there is a surge of DMT. People who have used DMT recreationally and for certain spiritual ceremonies have ALL spoken of the same effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptami...

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#127264 Oct 3, 2012
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is just the fear of god comin' through.
;P
Or, it just might be, that she hates storms, as much as I love them. And yeah, I am atheist too, and we do not tend to equate a fictional and therefore powerless deity with weather phenomena.

Imagine if meteorologist had to be trained at buy bull college, to predict the actions of the gods. The topless weather girl is really the topless god girl.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#127265 Oct 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Too much to follow! Let's try piecing it out.
<quoted text>
Just to clarify, I only meant that you are held to the same laws, as women in Saudi Arabia. Yes, I was only guessing, but if a Saudi lady called me, Honey, and was caught, she be severely reprimanded by the religious police and the males in her family.
We have had a few,'honor' killings, in the last year, here in America.
I do not respect murders.
I am held to the laws of the UK and France where I spend most of my time. If I lived in Saudi I would be expected to follow their law but I don’t, get used to it

#127266 Oct 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were sitting down, at the local pub, the conversation would have gone much better. We are both make assumptions and jumping to conclusions.
So it seems second time round

#127267 Oct 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that I said something along the lines of, "The average Joe, whether, christian, muslim, or Atheist, only wants to get through life, as comfortably and easy as possible; giving their children more and better opportunities than they had."
Yes and?

#127268 Oct 3, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I have no clue what you are talking about here.
No you wouldn’t.

Or are you denying the deletions?

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#127269 Oct 3, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Or, it just might be, that she hates storms, as much as I love them. And yeah, I am atheist too, and we do not tend to equate a fictional and therefore powerless deity with weather phenomena.
Imagine if meteorologist had to be trained at buy bull college, to predict the actions of the gods. The topless weather girl is really the topless god girl.
If she is topless does it matter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Richardfs 14,769
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 9 min woodtick57 2,853
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr MUQ2 23,497
why? 11 hr polymath257 62
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 14 hr geezerjock 1,263
Really, God? 15 hr geezerjock 1
Is Religion Childish? 15 hr geezerjock 5
More from around the web