Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258039 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#127306 Oct 3, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
I believe naked news is online only and yes for adults only. Believe it or not some of the ladies seem to do a good job of reporting the news. Pull up one of their videos and scroll down so you just hear them reporting you may be surprised.
<quoted text>
No I would be surprised. But I am still pretty sure the general public would not agree with having naked news on TV

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#127307 Oct 3, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Or the naked male form to us women, we might laugh
Honey, I do not govern the mores of society, I have no problems with nudity but many people do and to live in society you have to accept the consensus of that society.
Or change it.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#127308 Oct 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me. I only had it for 18 years. Would it be different if I was your age? Would it be easier or not?
It is something affecting the quality of your life you deal with on your own,

If you feel you were cheated out of something, then you can let that shape your thinking for the remaining decades of your life. You can use it as a cudgel to beat up on others if you wish.

From observing you on here, personality wise and intellectually you are way above most people with perfect bodies. You aren't missing anything.

You are a very impressive intellect. It can shine brightly, or it can shine darkly.

Bodies are just vehicles for a soul to see the sights. You miss a lot if you worry about what others think about a missing hubcap. For one thing, those that focus on you and not the hubcap are the ones you would rather spend your time with. It can be a positive thing.

La Veta, CO

#127309 Oct 3, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The quantum oddities are supported by actual experiment and observation: the uncertainty principle, the double-slit experiment, Bell's inequalities, quantum erasers, etc.
We know, because of experiment, that there is no causal connection between the particles in the Arrow experiment showing Bell's inequalities fail for quantum systems. And yet there is correlation. The universe is inherently probabilistic at the quantum level: but there are non-trivial correlations to those probabilities.
Yes, there is a difference between not knowing a cause and there being no cause. Arrow's experiment and Bell's inequalities are designed to test exactly that difference. And the real world is not causal.
<quoted text>
For that matter, neither am I. But it is a distinct possibility. It is also possible it was caused by a previous stage involving either a contracting universe or an expanding one operating under string theory principles. In any case, quantum gravity is crucial for the early stages of the expansion so there will be probabilistic aspects.
Polly, while you are out there in la la land would you bring me back two ogres, three leprechauns, 2 ghosties, and whatever uncertainty thingies you can fit in your bag? I am thinking of having a Halloween party.

Will pay you when you get back. Here, take this string so you can find that way back.

Thanks in advance.

La Veta, CO

#127310 Oct 3, 2012
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/for-datsun-reviva...

Cool. I bought a new 4 door 1971 PL510 for I think around $2600 back then. The pickups were $1600 and the 240Z was $3600.

What a car. Indestructible. Thought it was a Jeep. Excellent highway car. Handled beautifully, which saved my ass a few times.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#127311 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Polly, while you are out there in la la land would you bring me back two ogres, three leprechauns, 2 ghosties, and whatever uncertainty thingies you can fit in your bag? I am thinking of having a Halloween party.
Will pay you when you get back. Here, take this string so you can find that way back.
Thanks in advance.
Sorry, this is all well-documented and a matter of observation and testing. I can see you don't like those standards when they disagree with your per-conceived notions, but that is how it goes. No ghosts, goblins, of supernatural thingies here. Just basic physics that has been demonstrated many times.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#127312 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

You are a very impressive intellect.
Thanks.

Off to the gym.

La Veta, CO

#127313 Oct 3, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, this is all well-documented and a matter of observation and testing. I can see you don't like those standards when they disagree with your per-conceived notions, but that is how it goes. No ghosts, goblins, of supernatural thingies here. Just basic physics that has been demonstrated many times.
With a healthy dose of uncertainty.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#127314 Oct 3, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or change it.
Democracy is a wonderful convention

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#127315 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
With a healthy dose of uncertainty.
I see you don't understand what the uncertainty principle says or its relevance in physics. You might want to look into it. It is a very precise law of physics.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127316 Oct 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
baaa-baa-baaaa...me no understand, gomen, ne.
I'm an elitist in that I deeply respect the honest bettering of self and others.
That may be part of your cultural upbringing where racial purity is held in high regard. What is the status of half breed Japanese these days? Still non citizens because of lineage? That may be why Darwin is held in high regard in Japan.

La Veta, CO

#127317 Oct 3, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you don't understand what the uncertainty principle says or its relevance in physics. You might want to look into it. It is a very precise law of physics.
Can you explain it to us in plain terms?

La Veta, CO

#127318 Oct 3, 2012
&fe ature=watch-vrec

Ran across this while, of all things, playing a Gordon Lightfoot video.

Took me back. Some of the characters. Bad asses, bugouts, bitchers and moaners, and those that just did it.

There was nothing more enlightening about men than boot camp. Young guys under stress to perform for the greater entity. There wasn't much of the way in coddling and catering to one's sensitivities. A much different scenario than high school or college. Accelerated life experience.

Of course there were some that took the training personal. The DI harassment was a personal attack on them. They totally lost sight of the fact that it was all part of the process. Kind of a game, but one that increased survival chances. You can't function as a unit unless you become part of it. You have to give up a part of your personal illusions of reality to be part of the larger one.

The overwhelming majority of guys did.

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127319 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I did.
Wasn't what you wanted?
TS.
What you present was logical contradiction.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#127320 Oct 3, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Even if the universe did not exist it would still be logically true the universe could not create itself.
That's not logically true.

The universe, as the resident physicist has pointed out to you again and again, can be an uncaused thing.

But whatever, present a mathematical proof for your concept to demonstrate the universe cannot be uncaused.

Some stable somewhere

#127321 Oct 3, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That may be part of your cultural upbringing where racial purity is held in high regard. What is the status of half breed Japanese these days? Still non citizens because of lineage? That may be why Darwin is held in high regard in Japan.
Uh...you're a little 1986 there my friend.

"Half breeds" as you call us are now called "double" and are, at least in the fashion industry, held in the highest regard. Outside of that, some people still get taken aback when Asian looking people don't fully speak/understand Japanese language and culture, but nevertheless get very curious when they find out you've lived elsewhere. I don't really have that problem, though.

Uhm...those of Korean descent are still having problems. Third and even fourth generation, born in Japan, speaking Japanese, going to Japanese schools, but still not granted Japanese citizenship - the Korean gov't gives them passports and they're nationality is Korean, though they aren't really. Japanese citizenship is by blood.

So...not very Darwinism. In fact, quite the opposite, with silly little fantasies about what constitutes "race." The reality is that Japanese people and Koreans share the same ancestry - culturally distinct, genetically identical.

Darwin's science is now 160 years out of date. The basic theory is still good, especially for explaining to people like you who don't get it, but a number of his ideas are simply false. We've moved on. 160 years man!!!

Darwin couldn't imagine the kinds of knowledge we have about biology now.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#127322 Oct 3, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain it to us in plain terms?
Every system is described by a probability wave. That wave determines the probabilities of the different possible measurements of that system: for example, the probability that a particle will be detected at a certain position or with a certain momentum or any other physical observable.

Those waves that have a definite position (probability one of one specific position) do not have a definite momentum and those with a definite momentum do not have a definite position. In fact, the spread (standard distribution) of the two (position and momentum) are correlated, with the product of the size of the spreads at least half Planck's constant. So a small spread in the position leads to a large spread in the momentum and vice versa.

Once again, things at the quantum level are, by nature, probabilistic; each outcome is undetermined, only the probabilities over many outcomes is predicted by the theory. In that sense *every* quantum event is uncaused: there is nothing that determines the exact value of, say, position or momentum or energy, etc.

Some stable somewhere

#127323 Oct 3, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
baaa-baa-baaaa...me no understand, gomen, ne.
I'm an elitist in that I deeply respect the honest bettering of self and others.
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That may be part of your cultural upbringing where racial purity is held in high regard. What is the status of half breed Japanese these days? Still non citizens because of lineage? That may be why Darwin is held in high regard in Japan.
btw, what does the pursuit of developing personal talent have to do with racial purity???

And...one more thing - you know that races are proved nonexistent in Darwinism? There are no such things as typologies in evolutionary theory. None. Racism and notions of race are simply not Darwinian. That's your misunderstanding of both history and science at work here.

Again. You seem to desperately need history to be wildly different so that you can feel good about your religion. Why is that? What's your desperate need to confuse Social Darwinism (i.e., racism) and Darwinism (i.e., evolutionary theory)???

In other words, why the need for dishonesty on your part?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#127324 Oct 3, 2012
I want to point out that this article is speculation; it has not been verified experimentally. But it shows the types of things that can (and do) happen at the quantum level:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/...

This describes a quantum situation where causality goes both ways between two events (something not allowed at the classical level): A causes B and B causes A.

I do want to point out that the content of the actual paper is somewhat blown out of proportion in the article above. The 'causality' described is another case of quantum correlation, and is not causality in the usual sense. Thew description comes from attempting to describe the situation classically. But, a big part of the difficulty in understanding quantum mechanics is exactly this desire to keep those classical intuitions like causality, or objects having definite properties when unobserved.

Latonia, KY

#127325 Oct 3, 2012
And again, it's not.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>No I would be surprised. But I am still pretty sure the general public would not agree with having naked news on TV

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 33 min Another Damn Liberal 48,502
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr JustASkeptic 8
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr scientia potentia... 23,492
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 21,866
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web