Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127181 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It picked me. I'm a rescue pet.
Quite a bit.
You lack imagination. Among other things. You must be an atheist.
BTW, life is not a college classroom. The rules are different.
30,000+ gods to select from, 32,000 christian sects, 4 billion Hindi gods but of course only "Dave Nelson" is right.

I will ask you the same questions I have asked of other godbots and have never had a reply:-

1. How did you pick the god you follow?
2. How much research did you do?

No ducking just answer these two simple questions.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#127183 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It picked me.
Yes, cause you are so much more important than the starving children of the world.
Why don't you point out... oops, I am sorry! Why don't you nub out your great qualities that lead god to pick you!

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#127184 Oct 2, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. at this stage, science has a hypothesis. Don't even think there's a theory yet. If incorrect, post links ..
The guiding theory of neuroscience would be evolution. Under that umbrella, their theory is "mind is brain."
.. you point to objective science, Dave leans on subjective experience. Is one better than the other ??..
"better" in the sense that you can produce knowledge-based technology through the tools of science while you cannot get very far leaning on subjective experience in that domain. In that regards, science describes reality more accurately.

Not better in the sense of morality or qualitative experience.
.. we've debated this before and it leads nowhere ..
Have we?
.. since you do not know how Dave was raised, your declarative statement losses credibility ..
He was raised in the USA. He doesn't speak a second language and hasn't lived in another culture. He's pretty honest about his views and his delusional understanding of science.
.. more smooches, sweets! If I don't challenge you regularly, you'll lose all respect for me and .........
"Fortune has me well in hand, armies 'wait at my command
My gold lies in a foreign land buried deep beneath the sand
The angels guide my ev'ry tread, my enemies are sick or dead
But all the victories I've led haven't brought you to my bed."
The tougher the criticism, the sharper the knife :p

Nice poem! Here I am! Hidingfromyou :p

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127185 Oct 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
And one point is that we *know* this is false. In particular, quantum fluctuations do not have causes.
You don't know there is no cause. The whole idea may appeal to you. I find it interesting you are so willing to throw out causal law and declare there are effects without cause. According to an article i read by Jeremy Royal Howard. Many appear in artificial lab settings. The ability to penetrate the micro physical is still rudiment and subject to speculation and error. Considered quantum oddities. So there is skepticism.
And a very good hypothesis is that the universe came from such, which means it is uncaused.
Now,*you* could also claim that God came from a quantum fluctuation, but I'm guessing you won't do that.:)
Not really. Still not convinced the big bang is uncaused event.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#127186 Oct 2, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, cause you are so much more important than the starving children of the world.
Why don't you point out... oops, I am sorry! Why don't you nub out your great qualities that lead god to pick you!
Because when it looked down it saw my head up and looking around. It didn't see yours because it was up your ass.

Any more questions?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#127187 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because when it looked down it saw my head up and looking around. It didn't see yours because it was up your ass.
Any more questions?
Oh, the pain! You cut me straight to the quick! When 'it' looked down, it did not see me! A god that I could hid from is not much of a god, now is he?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127188 Oct 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And one point is that we *know* this is false. In particular, quantum fluctuations do not have causes. And a very good hypothesis is that the universe came from such, which means it is uncaused.
Now,*you* could also claim that God came from a quantum fluctuation, but I'm guessing you won't do that.:)
<quoted text>
No, actually, it is an ad hoc assumption that supplies no real explanatory power.
God came from a quantum fluctuation!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127189 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Scientific" based atheism needs to be exterminated.
Besides being a false religion, it tells you that you are just a robot of physical reactions. It has no "soul".
No creativity, no inspiration, no individuality.
You're overreaching, old man.

Sure, no gods exist. Yes, you're a physical being. But you're also human and humans are wildly creative and full of inspiration. We can quite clearly be individuals.

You're confusing atheism with communism, I think. And throwing your own hatred of others in, along with your straw man beliefs, exactly what I'd expect from you.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127190 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Any more questions?
30,000+ gods to select from, 32,000 christian sects, 4 billion Hindi gods but of course only "Dave Nelson" is right.

I will ask you the same questions I have asked of other godbots and have never had a reply:-

Westcliffe, CO

#127191 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The guiding theory of neuroscience would be evolution. Under that umbrella, their theory is "mind is brain."
<quoted text>
"better" in the sense that you can produce knowledge-based technology through the tools of science while you cannot get very far leaning on subjective experience in that domain. In that regards, science describes reality more accurately.
Not better in the sense of morality or qualitative experience.
<quoted text>
Have we?
<quoted text>
He was raised in the USA. He doesn't speak a second language and hasn't lived in another culture. He's pretty honest about his views and his delusional understanding of science.
<quoted text>
The tougher the criticism, the sharper the knife :p
Nice poem! Here I am! Hidingfromyou :p
You are so artificial.

I have been pretty immersed living in redneck, Cuban, Hispanic, Afro-American, New York Jewish, Turkish, and various Latin cultures from Central and South America. Also was married to a Japanese woman with a son derived from that marriage. Immersed as in living and working within those communities, not as a student. Knew enough language to get by. All I needed. Was also in the military for several years.

Now, what are your credentials again for interfacing with various social groups?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127192 Oct 2, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
That is called lip service. Hiding. Did u ever have a fellow sweet talk you and then when he got what he wanted,(the mystery was over) leave and not return your calls?
<quoted text> Been busy....
It wasn't lip service, LB. It was manipulation. Hitler inspired millions of Christians to partake in genocide. That's not lip service.

Your comparison of Hitler to dating is a bit on the trite side, but yes, once this guy didn't phone me back. I was so angry when I found out he was busy exterminating a group of people. What a terrible excuse! I mean...I'm Hiding! No one does that to me.

Westcliffe, CO

#127193 Oct 2, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, the pain! You cut me straight to the quick! When 'it' looked down, it did not see me! A god that I could hid from is not much of a god, now is he?
God's machinery does create rejects. You are not alone. Don't take it personal.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#127194 Oct 2, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so artificial.
I have been pretty immersed living in redneck, Cuban, Hispanic, Afro-American, New York Jewish, Turkish, and various Latin cultures from Central and South America. Also was married to a Japanese woman with a son derived from that marriage. Immersed as in living and working within those communities, not as a student. Knew enough language to get by. All I needed. Was also in the military for several years.
Now, what are your credentials again for interfacing with various social groups?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127195 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I really donít know why I have such a dim view of Europe.
I esteem other countries much higher including Russia. It just seems thereís this dark cloud that overhangs Europe. For the life of me who would want to go and visit such a dismal place?
Of course France did give us Lady Liberty and Spain did support the expedition of Columbus. Perhaps I should reconsider my views on Europe.
Europe is the most amazing place to visit! When you stand in London, you know it was the center of the world at one point. When you stand in Paris, you can see the world's wealth poured into that city. Prague, Venice, Vienna, Berlin, Lisbon and on and on - the list of beautiful cities in Europe never ends.

The architecture is amazing, truly, truly amazing, from a time when people hand crafted buildings, when monuments took years to build, when cathedrals, palaces, libraries, and museums were designed to impress.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127196 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I really donít know why I have such a dim view of Europe.
I esteem other countries much higher including Russia. It just seems thereís this dark cloud that overhangs Europe. For the life of me who would want to go and visit such a dismal place?
Of course France did give us Lady Liberty and Spain did support the expedition of Columbus. Perhaps I should reconsider my views on Europe.
You know I attended a service at Westminster Abbey?

Very different than Christianity in America.

Westcliffe, CO

#127197 Oct 2, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're overreaching, old man.
Sure, no gods exist. Yes, you're a physical being. But you're also human and humans are wildly creative and full of inspiration. We can quite clearly be individuals.
You're confusing atheism with communism, I think. And throwing your own hatred of others in, along with your straw man beliefs, exactly what I'd expect from you.
You emphasize the "proper" education too much as a qualification to allow that creativity and inspiration to flourish. You are elitist. It's the "educator" in you. It makes you the director of future human endeavors.

Too much ego trip to believe anything you say.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127198 Oct 2, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone is a sinner, past, present or future. All fall into two of the three categories.
Nope. My dear friend Eagle, sin is a cultural construction. You only have it if you were encultured to act as if some behaviors are polluted.

So...you sin while I do not. Unlike you, I don't attach ritual pollution to behavior.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#127199 Oct 2, 2012
polymath257 wrote:
While I have no such fear. For me, death is simple non-existence. yet another way that theism causes pain and suffering: fear of an after-life.
No fear of death and the afterlife because it means non existence. I suppose you came to this conclusion based on your scientific naturalism. That is if you believe that only scientific propositions are true, rational or superior. There is something about all that which is self refuting. It is more a philosophy about science. Not actual science. Actually your view of death is your opiate. Better to prepare for the worse than to wake up and realize it is all too late.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#127200 Oct 2, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, I slip between the two terms and I in all instances, I mean that gray organ encased in or skull. With whatever peripheral body components supporting that, too.
lolerbat...=>I understand where you're coming from though.
<quoted text> I agree, the "overseer" view works pretty good. Separation from pure instinct that doesn't need the consciousness so much, and the consciousness that allows us to plan for future events, enjoy a sunset, or appreciate the sound of cicada in the distance.
<quoted text>Yeah. Agreed.
<quoted text> It's pretty cool to be completely shut off from the stimulus of your surroundings, and see that the brain does an impressive job in maintaining that anchor. I have to think that came about by evolutionary process too.
Just imagine, you undergo a massive trauma 100,000 - 50,000 years ago. You're out cold. The last thing you recall is slipping and falling down a cliff. Before that, you and a friend had been attacked by a tiger, you saw that friend torn to pieces and devoured. While you're out - do you relive that fall and your friends horrific death over and over till someone finds you and brings you back to health or you regain consciousness?
Just off hand I could imagine if you did relive it over and over, you might awake to insanity. Or, while unconscious, you might thrash violently as it played over and over(alerting a predator to your location?). Or that could worsen an already severe injury.
None of those scenarios creates a "positive survival advantage".
That's all speculation, but people have often proposed *why* would the brain evolve such a response mechanism/*happy place* when seriously injured or close to death. I think it's a response to injury and has little to do with impending death, IMO.
It could be due to attrition of the ones whose brain didn't have the capability to shut down the peripherals and *play a movie*, while you are in danger and defenseless, while the trait of being able to do so, was passed on and eventually gained dominance. I dunno.
Again, it's just speculation. When people ask why that would occur in humans *BY SO CALLED EVOLUTIONARY PROCESSES!", I don't see it as an unreasonable process or hypothesis, if you get me.
Those intricacies of the brain may never be fully explained as to why that happens. But I think it might, some day.
Totally.

I have no idea, never having done sativa.:)
maintscanunit13b 4

Westcliffe, CO

#127201 Oct 2, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Richardfs, you are to report to repair station number 3a34 as son as possible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 8 min audy17 387
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Richardfs 9,310
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr thetruth 2,059
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 4 hr thetruth 165
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 5 hr thetruth 7,406
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr James 14,604
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr thetruth 6,102
More from around the web