Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#126577 Sep 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Truth is something. You do not have faith in anything. If you have no faith in truth then there is no reason to believe anything you print. <quoted text> Your faith is in your atheism. You just don't call it faith.
<quoted text> You need to resolve the logical contradictions that exist in your head. For example. How can you doubt thoughts are of the mind as distinct in substance from the physical brain? If thoughts are by products of brain activity in which you have no control then how can they be trusted? How can you doubt your mind exists without using your mind in the first place? It is like using a boat to cross a river and refusing to admit the boat exists. In order to doubt there must be a source. Brain activity and nothing more is inadequate. Thoughts and mind are examples which transcend the physical. That is why it is said,''thoughts are bullet proof.''
That's why science deals in probability and correlation, not causality dude. Reality, it appears, is really unique to each of us. We just need to make the best of it. There is no KNOW. There is only Faith. Either blind or the science flavor of the day dude.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#126578 Sep 30, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
For starters, science teachers don't really speak for science. The scientists do. Science teachers merely pass it along.
The scientists would agree that they do not study anything that is not natural. The wording above seems to imply that there is such a thing as the supernatural, but it is beyond the purview of science. It is not only not known that a supernatural realm exists, it's not clear that the word refers to anything at all, or even could. Whatever is causally connected to nature, including gods capable of manipulating it, is just more of nature, even if it is outside of our universe.
Science not only doesn't study the supernatural, it also doesn't study the infranatural, the transnatural, the juxtanatural, the quasinatural, the hypernatural, nor the extranatural - and likely for the same reason.
Consider the teachers' statement with one of these words in place of supernatural:
"[S]cience is precluded from making statements about quasi-juxtanatural forces because these are outside its provenance."
No, that's not why science does not comment of the quasi-juxtanatural, just as it's not the reason it doesn't comment on the supernatural.
Then why are so many atheists on here worshiping science and using it as a rationale to deny the super and other naturals?

You can use those fancy psychiatric pathological term thingies in your response.

You seem a bit more rational this morning.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#126579 Sep 30, 2012
Martin Navratilover wrote:
<quoted text>Please help, I did get stuck on the word "I" and how to spell it. Can you spell it for me? I also might not know what "ninnyhammer" means, but I'm think that you are one.
Did you get "zedonk" "bezoar" "gobo" "ort "doohicky" "lollapalooza" or "interrobang"?(Marti n looked up "limbic" on DictionaryDOTcom http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/limbic and saw the quiz below the definition)

If you liked ninnyhammer, you might like some of these. Save them and refer to them from time to time, and they'll make your posts more interesting and funnier:

1. barathrum - insatiable glutton, person who eats to excess
2. batie-bummil - A useless bungler
3. beau-nasty - slovenly fop; one finely dressed, but dirty.
4. blowmaunger a person so fat that his cheeks puff out
5. breedbate a troublemaker looking for an argument or a fight
6. cachinnator one who laughs loudly, excessively or for no reason
7. clarty-paps a dirty, slovenly wife
8. clatterfart chattering woman
9. cockalorum a small, self-important little man
10. crambazzle - a worn-out, dissipated old man
11. crepehanger a pessimistic killjoy, always warning, deflated, predicting failure. etc.
12. cumberground - worthless object or person that is just in the way
13. cumberworld one so infirm, disfigured or lazy as to be a useless burden to society
14. dandisprat - insignificant person
15. draffsack a major glutton and his huge belly
16. dunderwhelp a detestable numbskull
17. flibbertigibbet - chattering or flighty, light-headed person.
18. gabamouche a gullible person (also gobemouche)
19. gammerstang a tall, skinny, awkward woman
20. gandermooner a man who chases women during the month after his wife gave birth
21. gilly-gaupus - awkward person, foolish or silly person.
22. gongoozler a dimwit who stares at unusual things; literally, one who watches boats
23. gubbertush a bucktoothed person
24. gundygut an offensive, mannerless eater
25. hoddypeak - a blockhead or fool.
26. hogminny a depraved young woman
27. jackanapes - A conceited or impudent person. A mischievous child
28. jobberknowle, jobbernowl an obese, dim-witted person
29. knipperdollin a fanatical idiot
30. lickspigot a revolting parasite
31. lickspittle fawning underling, toady
32. mammothrept spoiled child, or child raise by a grandmother
33. merry andrew - clown: a person who amuses others by ridiculous behavior
34. mumblecrust a toothless old beggar
35. nosy parker prying person or busybody
36. popinjay - person given to vain, pretentious displays and empty chatter
37. quakebuttock coward, sissy, pussy
38. quibberdick nasty quibbler
39. quockerwodger - a wooden toy or person that jerks its limbs when pulled by a string
40. ripesuck one who is easily bribed
41. scapegrace habitually unscrupulous person; scamp
42. scrimshanker one accepting neither work nor responsibility
43. seeksorrow one who seeks to give himself vexation
44. smellfungus - perpetual pessimist
45. snivelard someone who speaks through the nose; a nasal or whiny person
46. snollygoster an unprincipled person, especially in politics
47. snoutband one who constantly interrupts to contradict
48. throttlebottom - purposeless incompetent in public office.
49. tittery-whoppet - vagina
50. trugabelly a short, dirty fellow assigned to menial tasks.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#126580 Sep 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> This is not a biology thread. Nor is it a Science thread. One can have a Creationist belief system and learn biology. The one does not cancel out the other.
You're dodging. You wrote:
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> They had evidence. <quoted text> Flat earth had to do with the limited definition of life.
<quoted text> There is more to life than an interaction of chemistry.
<quoted text> Only intelligence can produce the complexity of a DNA molecule, yet you seem to think these are a result of some blind process void of intelligence.
So you are the one who brought biology into this by talking about life. Biology...is the study of life.

Next - yes, a belief in creationism precludes understanding biology. You cannot understand biological science without understanding evolution. Not a single creationist understands evolution. All of you creationists misrepresent it, lie about it and purposefully misquote evolutionary theorists.

I have not once seen a cogent argument from a creationist. You're welcome to try.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#126581 Sep 30, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are so many atheists on here worshiping science and using it as a rationale to deny the super and other naturals?
You can use those fancy psychiatric pathological term thingies in your response.
You seem a bit more rational this morning.
There's a scientific experiment to test for God that's been going on for thousands of years.
Through out history people have been wandering out into the desert, up mountains and into caves to try and find God, and they have found God. The trouble is they've all found different Gods!
No one can agree on anything about religion. Is there one God or many? Is there an afterlife or what form it takes? They can't even agree on what God says!

If there really was a God who wanted to communicate with us then these people should all agree (the sane ones at least) but they don't. So the only conclusion is that they are just hearing the delusions of their own minds.

You theists can't even agree on which God is the real one and then you wander why we don't take you seriously.

Fennario

#126582 Sep 30, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
Noahsincestchild
Noah since St. Child?

Speaking of children and spaces: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/Zippoze...

How are you doing, my Aussie friend? This is fun, is it not?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#126583 Sep 30, 2012
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I love it when a plan comes together.
hahaha!

Uhm...I don't really know, but am thinking that comes from the series?

Westcliffe, CO

#126585 Sep 30, 2012
I guess we did get some rain in this area Thursday. This place has been baking for a couple of years with the humidity usually 20% and down to single digits. Let's say it is on the dry side. One rain, flooded my basement and several others it turns out, dropped 18 inches of hail in some places several miles from here, and it has been two and a half days since it rained. It is still soggy outside.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#126586 Sep 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
No, baby, this is your inability to read and articulate.
You inappropriately asked me if science could prove that deities don't exist, demonstrating your poor understanding of science. I answered properly, no, science can't. However, I can claim that science demonstrates that no deities exist.
Just because your language skills aren't specific enough to understand my meaning doesn't mean I'm contradicting myself. It just means your English sucks.
Hint: all the atheists understand what I mean. Get off your high horse and try harder to work it out.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet girl. your ability to post that sort of logic with a straight face and apparent belief in the truth and correctness of your belief, and then claiming that all other atheists have that same understanding is called a pathology.
Keep telling yourself that, Dave. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#126587 Sep 30, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>And it ranks right up there with "Beef", bloody good pictures, and some offal recipes,too.
Not a huge fan of offal. Get enough of that from Dave's posts.

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#126588 Sep 30, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not have faith in anything.
Yes you do. You have faith that pretending that there is no God will allow you to skim by the accountability phase of your future alignment with the judgement you will have with God after your certain death........ and that you will not have to face up to God for your sins that you also pretend that you don't do.

You seem to be deeply indoctrinated with lies. What age did you accept the path and faith of delusional thinking, bigot?

Westcliffe, CO

#126589 Sep 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Did you get "zedonk" "bezoar" "gobo" "ort "doohicky" "lollapalooza" or "interrobang"?(Marti n looked up "limbic" on DictionaryDOTcom http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/limbic and saw the quiz below the definition)
If you liked ninnyhammer, you might like some of these. Save them and refer to them from time to time, and they'll make your posts more interesting and funnier:
1. barathrum - insatiable glutton, person who eats to excess
2. batie-bummil - A useless bungler
3. beau-nasty - slovenly fop; one finely dressed, but dirty.
4. blowmaunger a person so fat that his cheeks puff out
5. breedbate a troublemaker looking for an argument or a fight
6. cachinnator one who laughs loudly, excessively or for no reason
7. clarty-paps a dirty, slovenly wife
8. clatterfart chattering woman
9. cockalorum a small, self-important little man
10. crambazzle - a worn-out, dissipated old man
11. crepehanger a pessimistic killjoy, always warning, deflated, predicting failure. etc.
12. cumberground - worthless object or person that is just in the way
13. cumberworld one so infirm, disfigured or lazy as to be a useless burden to society
14. dandisprat - insignificant person
15. draffsack a major glutton and his huge belly
16. dunderwhelp a detestable numbskull
17. flibbertigibbet - chattering or flighty, light-headed person.
18. gabamouche a gullible person (also gobemouche)
19. gammerstang a tall, skinny, awkward woman
20. gandermooner a man who chases women during the month after his wife gave birth
21. gilly-gaupus - awkward person, foolish or silly person.
22. gongoozler a dimwit who stares at unusual things; literally, one who watches boats
23. gubbertush a bucktoothed person
24. gundygut an offensive, mannerless eater
25. hoddypeak - a blockhead or fool.
26. hogminny a depraved young woman
27. jackanapes - A conceited or impudent person. A mischievous child
28. jobberknowle, jobbernowl an obese, dim-witted person
29. knipperdollin a fanatical idiot
30. lickspigot a revolting parasite
31. lickspittle fawning underling, toady
32. mammothrept spoiled child, or child raise by a grandmother
33. merry andrew - clown: a person who amuses others by ridiculous behavior
34. mumblecrust a toothless old beggar
35. nosy parker prying person or busybody
36. popinjay - person given to vain, pretentious displays and empty chatter
37. quakebuttock coward, sissy, pussy
38. quibberdick nasty quibbler
39. quockerwodger - a wooden toy or person that jerks its limbs when pulled by a string
40. ripesuck one who is easily bribed
41. scapegrace habitually unscrupulous person; scamp
42. scrimshanker one accepting neither work nor responsibility
43. seeksorrow one who seeks to give himself vexation
44. smellfungus - perpetual pessimist
45. snivelard someone who speaks through the nose; a nasal or whiny person
46. snollygoster an unprincipled person, especially in politics
47. snoutband one who constantly interrupts to contradict
48. throttlebottom - purposeless incompetent in public office.
49. tittery-whoppet - vagina
50. trugabelly a short, dirty fellow assigned to menial tasks.
I will confess to being a bit of the crambazzle, you quibberdicking quockerwodger.

Fennario

#126590 Sep 30, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
Stop avoiding the question from BobLoblah and answer properly 'Who made the Dirt???'.
I'm suggesting that you set up a nanny cam where the dirt appears. I'm guessing it's your dog, but if you have a dog door, it could be a raccoon.

If you don't have a dog or a doggie door, you might catch yourself squatting over the living room shag carpeting yourself while sleep walking.

BTW, this is a better tactic than just letting me beat you up while ignoring my question TWENTY-EIGHT times in a row. You needed to either negotiate a peace with me, walk away form the thread, retaliate in kind as you are attempting to do, or put up your virtual hands in self-defense, i.e., answer the questions. Repeatedly turning your church's other cheek at me to pop again and again was obviously a poor strategy. Whoever told you to do that gave you bad advice.

Westcliffe, CO

#126591 Sep 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a huge fan of offal. Get enough of that from Dave's posts.
That smell is from your clatterfarting.

See what I mean about people getting into the damndest things to spend their time on, studying and collecting?

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#126592 Sep 30, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet girl. your ability to post that sort of logic with a straight face and apparent belief in the truth and correctness of your belief, and then claiming that all other atheists have that same understanding is called a pathology.
Think of it this way >>> It is not science, that would attempt to prove the imaginary. Very simply put, if the buybull god existed at all, Those stricken with Christainity would not only take him at his word, they would be using those word promises to affect their own lives.

Tell me how many mountains have you saw, that have uprooted themselves and moved at the whim of a praying believer? Until we see a few, doing that, we all should just consider that god, as pure imagination.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#126593 Sep 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha!
Uhm...I don't really know, but am thinking that comes from the series?
Yes.

George Peppard in the original "A-Team".

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#126594 Sep 30, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Of the disillusioned sort that post as atheists on here, ranting and raving against Christianity.
Disillusioned? As in, the vandal was, or was not angry at a god? If he was, then he quite likely is not an atheist, nor would he be a non believer.

Christainity is a rather brutal religion, and as humans we would be all better off without such disgusting and barbaric dogmas

Westcliffe, CO

#126595 Sep 30, 2012
<quoted text>
I'm suggesting that you set up a nanny cam where the dirt appears. I'm guessing it's your dog, but if you have a dog door, it could be a raccoon.
If you don't have a dog or a doggie door, you might catch yourself squatting over the living room shag carpeting yourself while sleep walking.
BTW, this is a better tactic than just letting me beat you up while ignoring my question TWENTY-EIGHT times in a row. You needed to either negotiate a peace with me, walk away form the thread, retaliate in kind as you are attempting to do, or put up your virtual hands in self-defense, i.e., answer the questions. Repeatedly turning your church's other cheek at me to pop again and again was obviously a poor strategy. Whoever told you to do that gave you bad advice.
I will answer your question.

Yes, you can leave the boys with the priests. But, like any other dealings with others, like with doctors, you let it be known that your eyes are open and watching. In confession, you can reveal to the priest your fears about your child being abused and the resultant physical mayhem inflicted upon the body or bodies of those responsible for such, if even by turning a blind eye. This would influence the material based urges of those who should be more spiritual. I am sure such would help to instill a sense of propriety among those that would stray off the path. Nothing like a pair of watchful eyes and recriminations to enforce proper behavior.

Evil lurks in the shadows.

Westcliffe, CO

#126596 Sep 30, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Disillusioned? As in, the vandal was, or was not angry at a god? If he was, then he quite likely is not an atheist, nor would he be a non believer.
Christainity is a rather brutal religion, and as humans we would be all better off without such disgusting and barbaric dogmas
You would not have been happy as an Aztec.

Fennario

#126597 Sep 30, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why can't Jesus eat M n Ms? They keep falling through his hands! Lmfao!
Maybe that's why he always needs more money, too. He just can't hold on to it. Carlin notes that Jesus,

"needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 27 min Zog Has-fallen 18,886
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr spellmeout 14,657
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr woodtick57 6,706
News .com | What hope is there without God? 8 hr Amused 2
News Confessions of a black atheist 8 hr thetruth 478
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr thetruth 2,099
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 15 hr Pete-o 7,409
More from around the web