Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#125615 Sep 25, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Hiding, you know I still love you.
Leave the dark side and come towards the light. You don’t belong in darkness. You don’t have to give up on science or education. You would be a great asset to the kingdom. We would love to have you working for God.
Of course you want her, but telling her she's in darkness is very rude.

This isn't a nice post.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#125616 Sep 25, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
A name should always be capitalized, Catcher. Even if it's a fake name I must follow the rules of English.
I'm not as smart as you or HFY or Tide or IANS or Aero or Aura but nobody can sling an insult like me.
:-)
I create my niche and then I fill it.
Oh, I often think you are many times smarter than I am.

Some stable somewhere

#125617 Sep 25, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>BASICALLY, ALL YOR CLAN ever does is propose opposing theories and suppositions and then try to compete for relevance, when all theories are often formulated from "flat earth science".
Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is the law of parsimony, economy, or succinctness. It is a principle urging one to select from among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam 's_razor
The principle is often incorrectly[citation needed] summarized as "other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one." In practice, the application of the principle often shifts the burden of proof in a discussion.[a][citation needed] The razor asserts that one should proceed to simpler theories until simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power.[citation needed] The simplest available theory need not be most accurate. Philosophers[who?] point out also that the exact meaning of simplest may be nuanced.[b]
In science, Occam's razor is used as a heuristic (general guiding rule or an observation) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models.[2][3] In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic, and certainly not a scientific result
At least one person believes you to be an old man, but I have real troubles seeing your mental age in the teens.(apologies to teens everywhere)

You just wrote - pardon me, pasted - a bunch of stuff about Oscam's razor that backs up what I've written on here. All apparently without understand what you're copying. Let me dumb it down for you:

Adding a creator to any explanation of the existence of the universe increases complexity of the universe needlessly. I write "needlessly" because all of our scientific theories, every single one of them, leave out creators, deities, designers, etc., to explain their phenomena. Einstein's equations have no god in them. Evolution, no god. The germ theory of disease - no god, no creator. Newton's mathematical universe, no god. Over and over.

So when you postulate that we suddenly need a creator, against all of our working science models - all based on measurable evidence - then you need to explain why and how your added complexity improves our scientific models.

But we both know you can't do this. The very best you theists do is rip off our science models and anachronistically mash them into your outdated, amoral and empty mythologies.

And, Chunky/OscarWildOne/SirDoc1-10 00/and all your other stupid sock names, you make other Christians embarrassed. You're the dregs of their religion. You cheapen it at every turn with the filth you paste. You are, sir, the very best argument - a living argument - against adopting Christianity.

Your morals are repugnant, your mind is a sewer of stinking filth.

On behalf of all atheists on this thread, I'd like to thank you for showing us how you aspire to living as a Christian. It's a wonderful learning experience. Of all the posters here, you do the very best job of trashing the good points that Eagle12 and Lightbeamer raise regarding Christianity.

Thank you :)
:)

peace

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#125618 Sep 25, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? We all like a laugh
Just keep you hands to yourself, missy.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#125619 Sep 25, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, you did not get enough to say it yourself.
1x1x1x1x1x1=1. But, why not 5.
No books and no Internet. Do the proof work.
Really? Are you retarded?

Some stable somewhere

#125620 Sep 25, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you want her, but telling her she's in darkness is very rude.
This isn't a nice post.
I'm better off in darkness anyways. If I came into the light, he'd have to see how ugly I am. Like Dave, but with breasts that hang to my knees and lots and lots of ear hair. I braid it.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#125621 Sep 25, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
At least one person believes you to be an old man, but I have real troubles seeing your mental age in the teens.(apologies to teens everywhere)
Apology accepted.

He's not a christian. He's a troll. He's my troll and I enjoy playing with him.

I'm a dork.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#125622 Sep 25, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't lie to me and I won't lie to you.

Deal?

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#125623 Sep 25, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to take a test once. The question we're talking about dealt with the difference between possibility and probability. l read it. I thought for a second or two and then I kicked the "question asker" in the right knee with my left foot. When he grabbed his knee he put his head on the table between us. When he looked up, my pencil was a millimeter from his eyeball.

I said, "What's the probability of that happening"?

I thought it was a valid question but I had to go away for awhile.

Some stable somewhere

#125624 Sep 25, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't lie to me and I won't lie to you.
Deal?
I am not lying. Well...maybe not "many times," but smarter, yes, I think so. There's a difference between knowledge and intelligence. I have lots of knowledge, sure. If I was intelligent - or maybe wise - I wouldn't bother posting here :)

Deal.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#125625 Sep 25, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not lying. Well...maybe not "many times," but smarter, yes, I think so. There's a difference between knowledge and intelligence. I have lots of knowledge, sure. If I was intelligent - or maybe wise - I wouldn't bother posting here :)
Deal.
Intelligence is cool. I can tell you when a man is having a heart attack but I can't fix his heart.

A dog can tell you where a bomb is but the dog can't disarm it.

My intelligence shouldn't be in question anymore.

My knowledge should be.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#125626 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Deal.
I come here for the free gifts.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#125627 Sep 26, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I come here for the free gifts.
and candy?

Location hidden

#125628 Sep 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
and candy?
um...yeah.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#125629 Sep 26, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> What does BM stand for? I used Grand canyon because an academic argued the cause was from the flood. I could reference the site but he is Creationist so he would be discounted on that fact alone.
Please, please link to that site. I would like nothing more than to read a serious discussion on how the flood caused the grand canyon to form.

Not joking, btw.

Location hidden

#125630 Sep 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
and candy?
Did you have to ask for the candy?

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#125631 Sep 26, 2012
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you have to ask for the candy?
I have peppermint, oil and water.

I can be candy :)

Richardfs

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#125632 Sep 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe only in one God. Another thing, your opinion of me doesn’t matter. I could care less what a triple “A” knucklehead thinks. That doesn’t mean I hate you. You just don’t rate in my book that’s all.
I haven’t threatened your legs either. You might want to keep them covered so you don’t gross out the population. You’re probably one of those hairy bastards. With hair so thick there’s no need for you to ever buy a winter coat.
I know men don’t traditionally shave their legs. You are probably the exception to the damn rule. Don’t use a regular shaver. You’ll need one of those heavy duty shearers they use on freaking goats.
All that extra hair you could put it in a pillow case and give it to the homeless. Just don’t tell them it’s your hair and they will be ok with it.
Which so called god there are over 30,000?

How much reseach did you do to pick the one you follow and why?

Why do you even need a god?

Are you so weak that you need a crutch to lean on?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#125633 Sep 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe only in one God. Another thing, your opinion of me doesn’t matter. I could care less what a triple “A” knucklehead thinks. That doesn’t mean I hate you. You just don’t rate in my book that’s all.
I haven’t threatened your legs either. You might want to keep them covered so you don’t gross out the population. You’re probably one of those hairy bastards. With hair so thick there’s no need for you to ever buy a winter coat.
I know men don’t traditionally shave their legs. You are probably the exception to the damn rule. Don’t use a regular shaver. You’ll need one of those heavy duty shearers they use on freaking goats.
All that extra hair you could put it in a pillow case and give it to the homeless. Just don’t tell them it’s your hair and they will be ok with it.
LOL! I love it when you play keyboard tough guy! LOL!

You cannot threaten me; first you would have to be able to be a threat! LOL!
scouse55

Walsall, UK

#125634 Sep 26, 2012
You engage in word play, semantics.

Gravity is that which tells you a brick falling on your head hurts. Whether postulated by Einstein or Walton is immaterial, you still require a couple of pills to alleviate the outcome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min Science 85,726
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 9 min Dogen 5,123
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Mon Eagle 12 - 115
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Jan 17 ChristineM 4,026
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Jan 16 Into The Night 5,146
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Jan 15 Dogen 33,127
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Jan 14 emperorjohn 1
More from around the web