Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243029 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#116850 Aug 12, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Impressive feat of mental gymnastics to be able to acknowledge the role and ability of science to put a man on the moon while simultaneously denying it's ability to illuminate the fields of research that may contradict your belief system.
I call it being selectively stupid. A bit like Buck really. He says Evolution is false, then goes ahead and cites "science" to prove ID.

I think its a disease of the mind. No person on the street is THAT stupid, but I guess Creationists seem to push the boundaries of ignorance every single day.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#116851 Aug 12, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I call it being selectively stupid. A bit like Buck really. He says Evolution is false, then goes ahead and cites "science" to prove ID.
I think its a disease of the mind. No person on the street is THAT stupid, but I guess Creationists seem to push the boundaries of ignorance every single day.
I think you might like this:-

"Religious Experiences Shrink Part of the Brain"

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#116852 Aug 12, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically. There are many factors at play that cause it, but the end result is that the human brain is n*too* good at maintaining and "defending" it's beliefs, to the point that it will actively ignore and discredit opposing information and demonize, so to speak, the "messengers" who deliver opposing information. That's why creationists are so good at dismissing good information out of hand, especially if it comes from a source they have deemed a "threat" to their beliefs.

Location hidden

#116853 Aug 12, 2012
There probably should have been an extra comma or semi colon in there somewhere, but I'm tired, so sorry if the punctuation is bad.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#116854 Aug 12, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Basically. There are many factors at play that cause it, but the end result is that the human brain is n*too* good at maintaining and "defending" it's beliefs, to the point that it will actively ignore and discredit opposing information and demonize, so to speak, the "messengers" who deliver opposing information. That's why creationists are so good at dismissing good information out of hand, especially if it comes from a source they have deemed a "threat" to their beliefs.
Spot on, I wouldn't say they are good at dismissing info. In fact they are quite skilled. They will misdirect conversation on purpose. They will use topics like love and free will to introduce topics related to god.

They will used terms like Materialism, Evolutionism - and refer to them as "ism" (ways of thinking) rather than as the facts that they are.

These are all tactics they have honed through the centuries for persuading people towards their lunacy

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#116855 Aug 12, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
Pope JohnPaul would put his boot up yer arse
Not just his boot.

BTW, I still haven't seen your answer to my question below. Since you ignored it (posting as MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE) the last FIFTEENTH times http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , I will ask you a SIXTEENTH time:

Would you recommend that the mother of adolescent boys join the Catholic church, let her sons become altar boys, and allow them to spend unsupervised time with Catholic priests?

Go ahead and say what you believe. Say, "Yes, bring your boys to the nearest Catholic church and leave them alone with a priest." I'd love a chance to reply to that. It's not like your every avoidance of this post doesn't already scream volumes.

Fennario

#116856 Aug 12, 2012
_BobLoblah_ wrote:
Killing a wannabee hAtheist a day keeps da heartBurn avey.
You people are filth.

Tell me one legitimate reason for the U.N. not demanding that the Vatican turn over all of its records on its pedophilic priests and their enablers, and beginning a criminal investigation of your church's international sex syndicate.

I would love to see that, especially if they refused. I'd love to see your pope handcuffed and frog marched on the evening news.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#116857 Aug 12, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just his boot.
Pinched.

"Bring forth the Holy Papal Condoms"

Dominus Femur

Fennario

#116858 Aug 12, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
You're gonna git blessed for that. I knows my Eagle.
LOL. I don't know your Eagle.

Fennario

#116859 Aug 12, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure, but I think duck changed his name again and is over on the Evolution vs. Creation forum. New name is hts.
I don't know Duck, either. But I do know HTS. He tells us he's a pathologist, but he's probably lying. He demonstrates no medical expertise ever. Actually, he avoids the subject when asked about it. And his understanding of evolution and genetics are abysmal.

Fennario

#116860 Aug 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Thank you.
My pleasure.

Fennario

#116861 Aug 12, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
And many of the priests are out trolling for little boys to diddle.
Eagle12 wrote:
I think if they would hang these characters who are found guilty and those who protect them. This would pretty much fix the problem. They can't be reformed.
Agreed. Two words: frog marched.
Eagle12 wrote:
We have became too nice in today’s society and would rather them run amuck and continue to commit these crimes.
It's not a matter of nice. It's a matter of religion getting a pass it doesn't deserve, like the tax breaks. The Vatican is an international sex syndicate. That may not be its original or primary purpose, but it is that, too.

Foreign leaders and heads of state that commit atrocities against Americans are dealt with using military invasions ans deadly force when necessary, as with Noriega, Hussein, and bin Laden.

It seems likely that if this sex syndicate was being run out of Thailand or Afghanistan, that the Navy Seals would be there if necessary to quash it. But the Vatican and the pope get a pass, because ... because ... because... oh yeah ... it's religion.
Catcher1 wrote:
Those that are guilty need to be hung.
We'll just have to hope that they hang themselves, because there doesn't seem to be much will to stop them.

Fennario

#116862 Aug 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
Did you know thousands of years before he was crucified. It was foretold in the book of psalms. Psalms 22
As for Psalm 22, nothing in it suggests that the writer is the messiah: "I am a worm and not a man."

Furthermore, where do you get crucifixion out of that? Because the hands and feet are pierced? This man asked, "Deliver me from the sword." The victim says that, "All my bones are on display." That's not a crucifixion.

Is accurate prophecy a useful indicator of anything? If so, how about a standing ovation for scientific prophecy and the scientists at CERN that found that Higgs particle?

And not in vague riddles, either - like Psalms, Isaiah, Nostradamus, Chinese fortune cookies, or the Magic 8-Ball. The scientific prophets told us EXACTLY where to look and EXACTLY what we would find there. The physicists said, "Look at that very high energy, and if we're right about reality, you'll find Higgs."

The scientists already had an excellent record of prophecy:

[1] Einstein prophesied the bending of light grazing past the sun. Such was the confidence in the priests of science that a fleet of ships was sent to various locations around the world to confirm the prophecy in 1919. It made headlines. http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/05/da...

[2] Twenty-five years later, the scientists did it again. "Quantum electrodynamics (QED) is the study of how electrons and photons interact ... The predictions of QED regarding the scattering of photons and electrons are accurate to eleven decimal places." http://physics.about.com/od/quantumphysics/p/...

[3] You can read about the prophecy of the cosmic microwave background and see the same thing. The priests of science predicted the existence of previously unsuspected radiation pervading the universe in an incredibly uniform way, and predicted it's precise temperature and wavelength. also later confirmed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave...

So, based on that reputation, billions were allocated to look for the Higgs particle, with which the scientists built a fine machine to look where man had never before except in his rich imagination.

[4] And lo and behold! A particle was born.

The church and its bible can't compete with prophecy like that.

Location hidden

#116863 Aug 12, 2012
<quoted text>
Not just his boot.
BTW, I still haven't seen your answer to my question below. Since you ignored it (posting as MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE) the last FIFTEENTH times http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , I will ask you a SIXTEENTH time:
Would you recommend that the mother of adolescent boys join the Catholic church, let her sons become altar boys, and allow them to spend unsupervised time with Catholic priests?
Go ahead and say what you believe. Say, "Yes, bring your boys to the nearest Catholic church and leave them alone with a priest." I'd love a chance to reply to that. It's not like your every avoidance of this post doesn't already scream volumes.
But what's so wrong with catholic priests? They adore little boys, they *fill* them with the love of jesus christ.

Location hidden

#116864 Aug 12, 2012
Sorry, I hate puns too. I just couldn't resist.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#116865 Aug 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for you kind words. Most older guys like myself consider it a compliment to be viewed as young. I would love to have the agility of a 15 year old. I’m not sure I want to go back and think about sex 400 times a day, lol. You know being a lust machine, lol. I don’t think my wife could handle it these days.
It’s not my MO to go and change my name and pretend to be another writer.
Yes, you have fooled everyone. We all believe that you are an old man and we all believe that you are not the president of the, "Never Touched A Boobie", club.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#116866 Aug 12, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of Boomhauer.
King of the Hill.
Boomhauer quotes
(After smelling something foul)
Pee ol' dang ol' u man.
Yeah man I tell ya what...Did one of them snipe hunts last night man with them sticks and bags and Whack! Whack! man, go Woooo-loo-loo-loo!... Talk about big mistake y'all... It's right there in that cooler.
That's odd. An old man who doesn't know Bugs Bunny when he hears it, but knows King of the Hill. What a maroon!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#116867 Aug 12, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't know Duck, either. But I do know HTS. He tells us he's a pathologist, but he's probably lying. He demonstrates no medical expertise ever. Actually, he avoids the subject when asked about it. And his understanding of evolution and genetics are abysmal.
They(HE) should pick a profession that they(HE) could fake some knowledge about. Like burger flipper or janitor.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#116868 Aug 12, 2012
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That's odd. An old man who doesn't know Bugs Bunny when he hears it, but knows King of the Hill. What a maroon!
Yer I noticed too and Duck12 tries to make us think he's a grandfather.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#116869 Aug 12, 2012
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yer I noticed too and Duck12 tries to make us think he's a grandfather.
I am guessing that duck has posted under several names since 2006 or so. How old do you think he was when he started? I am guessing that he started out much like we might have in the old days doing prank phone calls, but after a bit, we grew up and stopped, he has not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 7 min DebraE 9,176
John 3:16 8 min superwilly 29
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 38 min NoahLovesU 6,167
Atheists have morals too! 2 hr Amused 4
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr Secret Admirer 19,741
Should atheists have the burden of proof? Mon Thinking 15
News Atheism 101: The anti-intellectualism of religion Jun 28 QUITTNER Jne 28 2015 53
More from around the web