Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#64775 Nov 17, 2011
I should add that Double Fine is obviously not "most people."

Knoxville, TN

#64776 Nov 17, 2011
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, I have heard of that statistic, but have never verified it for myself, so I cannot comment on it's accuracy. Another similar statistic you may know, is that more people die from eating shark meat, than people dying due to sharkbites. HOWEVER, shark deaths are very, very rare, that much I can tell you. Nevertheless, you are right, sharks have a fearsome reputation. The media is very, very biassed towards the shark, and for that I blame one man: Steven Spielberg. His movie Jaws depicted sharks as mindless killing machines. Coupled with very visceral and gruesome deaths, and most viewers got a fear of sharks then and there. One person die of a shark attack, and the whole nation sits upright. I think in 2001, two people were attack by sharks in the US, and suddenly the papers labled it 'The summer of the shark'. In actual fact, mosquito's, snakes, lions, alligators, crocodiles, hippo's, leopards, cougars, domestic dogs kill way more people annually! It is all just poor reporting.
The truth about sharks? They are not mindless killers. They do not even like the taste of human flesh - most shark attacks are on surfers and are cases of mistaken identity. That's also the reason so many people get away from shark attacks, having only lost a limb. The shark tasted that the flesh is not what they want, and simply leaves the surfer be.
Here in Cape Town, Shark Cage diving is very popular. Trust me - a thin steel cage will not deter a 2 ton great white from getting to you! If the shark really wanted to eat the people inside, it can break that cage apart like a house of matches. Yet... they don't break the cages ever. Not really the persona of a mindless killing machine! Also, may people have dived with sharks WITHOUT the cage, first done by Cape Town researcher Mark Marks - and he discovered that Great Whites are very docile animals, with intricate social structures.
To sum it up for you: Sharks are gentle giants who are grossly misrepresented by the media
Interesting... whales used to inspire the same dread, but are now seen as gentle giants at the mercy of human cruelty and greed. I can see how sharks could be subjected to the same mentality.

Knoxville, TN

#64777 Nov 17, 2011
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, I have heard of that statistic, but have never verified it for myself, so I cannot comment on it's accuracy. Another similar statistic you may know, is that more people die from eating shark meat, than people dying due to sharkbites. HOWEVER, shark deaths are very, very rare, that much I can tell you. Nevertheless, you are right, sharks have a fearsome reputation. The media is very, very biassed towards the shark, and for that I blame one man: Steven Spielberg. His movie Jaws depicted sharks as mindless killing machines. Coupled with very visceral and gruesome deaths, and most viewers got a fear of sharks then and there. One person die of a shark attack, and the whole nation sits upright. I think in 2001, two people were attack by sharks in the US, and suddenly the papers labled it 'The summer of the shark'. In actual fact, mosquito's, snakes, lions, alligators, crocodiles, hippo's, leopards, cougars, domestic dogs kill way more people annually! It is all just poor reporting.
The truth about sharks? They are not mindless killers. They do not even like the taste of human flesh - most shark attacks are on surfers and are cases of mistaken identity. That's also the reason so many people get away from shark attacks, having only lost a limb. The shark tasted that the flesh is not what they want, and simply leaves the surfer be.
Here in Cape Town, Shark Cage diving is very popular. Trust me - a thin steel cage will not deter a 2 ton great white from getting to you! If the shark really wanted to eat the people inside, it can break that cage apart like a house of matches. Yet... they don't break the cages ever. Not really the persona of a mindless killing machine! Also, may people have dived with sharks WITHOUT the cage, first done by Cape Town researcher Mark Marks - and he discovered that Great Whites are very docile animals, with intricate social structures.
To sum it up for you: Sharks are gentle giants who are grossly misrepresented by the media
This, by the way, is exactly the kind of off-topic post that I stay on Topix for. Wonderful! Thanks.
What you refuse to Say is

Chico, CA

#64778 Nov 17, 2011
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Mr. Chino.

Nobody puts the Princess down and gets away with it.

You are on notice.

Catcher1 (formerly Catcher)
My bad. I didn't get the memo. Won't happen again.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#64779 Nov 17, 2011
Porkpie Hat wrote:
<quoted text>
I truly envious though, always had a fascination with Africa but have never been there.
I remember watching the Born Free movies as a kid and begging my mother to buy me a lion cub!
The only thing about lion cubs , is they grow up .
And when they do you better feed them or ugh you could be on the menu. Damn cats eat better than me!

Location hidden

#64780 Nov 17, 2011
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the Colt 1911. One hundred years old now and still a viable part of any arsnel.
John Browning was da man.

“Twoof, a true act of ignorance”

Since: Jun 09

Calgary, Canada

#64781 Nov 17, 2011
Princess Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they do. I believe in the IPU, bless Her Holy hooves, may They never be shod.
:)
And that is enough to make me believe!

Thank you:-)

Calgary, Canada

#64782 Nov 17, 2011
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>does it mean they don't
*facepalm*

Calgary, Canada

#64783 Nov 17, 2011
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The only thing about lion cubs , is they grow up .
And when they do you better feed them or ugh you could be on the menu. Damn cats eat better than me!
It would never happen, just ask Siegfried and R...nvm.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#64784 Nov 17, 2011
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>lying for Darwin must be a badge for idiots
Atheist are liars
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

T-Town, Darwin isn't a God. Just so's you know.

Location hidden

#64785 Nov 17, 2011
Porkpie Hat wrote:
<quoted text>It would never happen, just ask Siegfried and R...nvm.
Eat better and me?

“.strike yer colors swab ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#64786 Nov 17, 2011
the Sequoia sylablry was a revision of the ancient Kutani (Priest clan )script simplified to 85 characters it had nothing to do with whitemans alphabet. Each letter stands for a sound in the Cherrokee language and conveys more information when compared to english where several letters may be needed. a traditional speaker can become literate it in an average of three months compared to english which much takes longer. some of the ancient letters are still around and convey information in a dialect known to decendants of the now defunct hereditary priest clan which was nearly exterminated then permanantly disbanded for abuse of religous authority about 100 yrs before European contact. We;ve always been (Anti theocratic)some what secular. sequoia's mother was of the taliwa (scolar priests)a female member of one five divisions of the kutani. so it didn't have anything to do With europeans except Sequoisas desire to put our nation on equal terms with the whites by having our own written language avaitable to everyone and as a means of comunication that couldn't be read by whites or other indians.
RESP0NSE wrote:
<quoted text>In addition, you guys did not even have a written language until Sequoyah can into contact with Europeans and invented one based on their ideas.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#64787 Nov 17, 2011
Princess Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever happened to Bobloblah blah blah blah anyway. I ran into him on one of the Topix game threads where he was insulting every poster. Obviously he hasn't changed.
Bob is currently posting as Bongo and several other gray-boxers.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#64788 Nov 17, 2011
Princess Sue wrote:
I see I spoke too soon, good ol' blah blah blah is still around.
Meaning the average IQ of the posters on this forum has been cut by 50%.

“Church of Latter Day Heathens”

Since: Feb 09

Austin, Tx

#64789 Nov 17, 2011
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> John Browning was da man.
Ah, agreed. I used to have a 9mm Hi-Power, Belgian made of course.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#64790 Nov 17, 2011
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Bob is currently posting as Bongo and several other gray-boxers.
Wow, some people really need to get a life. I don't understand these people who create multiple personalities. Taking Topix a wee bit too seriously methinks.

Location hidden

#64791 Nov 17, 2011
T Leary wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, agreed. I used to have a 9mm Hi-Power, Belgian made of course.
His designs include the mod 1911 colt. As well as the infamous browning shot gun , the BAR and most every design is a emulation of his ideas. The 1911 frame and slide is the most emulated pistol design there is.

Location hidden

#64792 Nov 17, 2011
"Ponce" is an iritable bigot Who's ethnocentric malice is demonstrated by His inability to present facts rather than opinions based in theist propaganda. missionaries first made the same false claims because it was unacceptable that native people should be able to have a written language which was considered the sole perogative of white europeans. even going so far as to say that sequoia's sylablry was given to him by the Devil. This is common history of which I'm sure "ponce" is aware proving Him a closet Christian and an intentional liar!!!!
What you refuse to Say is

Chico, CA

#64793 Nov 17, 2011
Cpt Jack Sparrow wrote:
"Ponce" is an iritable bigot Who's ethnocentric malice is demonstrated by His inability to present facts rather than opinions based in theist propaganda. missionaries first made the same false claims because it was unacceptable that native people should be able to have a written language which was considered the sole perogative of white europeans. even going so far as to say that sequoia's sylablry was given to him by the Devil. This is common history of which I'm sure "ponce" is aware proving Him a closet Christian and an intentional liar!!!!
Your evidence?

Location hidden

#64794 Nov 17, 2011
read the posts he' written concerin Native people and to Me. then theres a Cherrokee web site by Cherrokee who emigrated to mexico where Sequoia died and there was a book by yellowbird traveler "Tell them they Lie" both the eastern and western Cherrokee nations have a web site for research . I learned all this growing up but it has been presented in a number of books. thats about the best I can do off the top of my head without doing some reasearch myself for the names of Authors and book titles I've forgotten.
What you refuse to Say is wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evidence?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why? 14 min polymath257 82
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min Aura Mytha 14,820
Really, God? 46 min Thinking 2
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr thetruth 302
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 hr Lumajuice 23,499
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 11 hr thetruth 2,857
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) Sat geezerjock 1,263
More from around the web